|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Joyce go to college?
(a) Oxford University.
(b) University College.
(c) Trinity College.
(d) Griffith College.
2. What did Joyce do to earn extra money?
(a) Taught English.
(b) Sold men's clothes.
(c) Drove a cab.
(d) Cooked at a diner.
3. Joyce briefly considered a career in _______________.
4. Which of Joyce's brothers died young?
5. What did Joyce and Nora name their son?
6. Who was Joyce's younger brother?
7. Who was Joyce's governess?
(a) Mrs. Heiby.
(b) Mrs. O'Hara.
(c) Mrs. Collins.
(d) Mrs. Dante.
8. What did Joyce consider to be life's most important relationship?
(a) Between husband and wife.
(b) Between brothers.
(c) Between mother and child.
(d) Between father and son.
9. In what city was Joyce born?
10. Joyce always had a talent for __________________.
(b) Playing the violin.
11. What did Joyce forbid Nora to wear on the trip in #68?
(a) A wedding band.
(b) A fur coat.
(c) High heels.
(d) Diamond earrings.
12. What was the name of the theater that Joyce established?
(a) The Volta.
(b) The Standard.
(c) The Guild.
(d) The Phoenix.
13. Which one of Joyce's siblings worked with him at the school in Trieste?
14. What novel did Joyce begin to write in 1904?
(a) Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.
(b) Cheri and The Last of Cheri.
(c) For Whom the Bell Tolls.
(d) From Here to Eternity.
15. Who was the favorite child in the Joyce family?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was one of Joyce's two main goals in 1909?
2. Who saved Joyce's draft of PORTRAIT OF THE ARTIST AS A YOUNG MAN when he tossed it into the fire?
3. Which writer wrote to Joyce asking for some of Joyce's work to be included in an anthology?
4. Why did the manager of the school love Joyce?
5. What religion did the Joyce family practice?
This section contains 346 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)