|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Joyce and Nora live in 1904?
2. Who was the London acquaintance who helped Joyce search for jobs?
(a) Miss Gilfrod.
(b) Miss Sloane.
(c) Miss Galloway.
(d) Miss O'Hara.
3. Joyce had a falling out with his old friend and replaced him with ____________________.
(a) Miguel Ramirez.
(b) Patrick Connelly.
(c) Marcus Jameson.
(d) Oliver Gogarty.
4. Which one of Joyce's siblings worked with him at the school in Trieste?
5. Which of the following is NOT true about Joyce's younger brother?
(a) He was artistic.
(b) He was blunt.
(c) He was determined.
(d) He was athletic.
6. Joyce wrote a review of a play written by _________________ and received a complimentary letter from the playwright himself.
7. Who was Joyce's father?
8. Where did Joyce go to college?
(a) Griffith College.
(b) Oxford University.
(c) Trinity College.
(d) University College.
9. Which book of Joyce's was published in 1907 but for which he received no money?
(a) Chamber Music.
(c) My Father's Song.
10. Who was the main character in Joyce's ULYSSES?
(a) Harold Sloane.
(b) Peter Gallagher.
(c) Barry Connely.
(d) Leopold Bloom.
11. Joyce searched for job vacancies at ______________________ throughout Europe.
(a) Travel agencies.
(c) Berlitz schools.
12. Joyce could not attend school in the city in #25 because the school wants the fees right away and __________________.
(a) He is too young.
(b) He does not have the academic credits.
(c) He is not a French citizen.
(d) His French is not good enough.
13. What novel did Joyce begin to write in 1904?
(a) Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.
(b) Cheri and The Last of Cheri.
(c) From Here to Eternity.
(d) For Whom the Bell Tolls.
14. What word did the publisher have Joyce remove from DUBLINERS?
15. What was the cause of the death of Joyce's brother?
(c) Typhoid Fever.
(d) Boating accident.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Joyce consider to be life's most important relationship?
2. Which friend did Joyce make in college who remained a good friend for many years?
3. Who was Joyce's governess?
4. Joyce briefly considered a career in _______________.
5. Which of the following was NOT true about Joyce as a child?
This section contains 377 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)