|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which writer wrote to Joyce asking for some of Joyce's work to be included in an anthology?
(a) William Yeats.
(b) Ernest Hemingway.
(c) Henry David Thoreau.
(d) Ezra Pound.
2. The city in #43 is known for being _____________________.
(a) A cultural center.
(b) A port city.
(c) A poor city.
(d) An ancient city.
3. What novel did Joyce begin to write in 1904?
(a) Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.
(b) From Here to Eternity.
(c) For Whom the Bell Tolls.
(d) Cheri and The Last of Cheri.
4. Where did Joyce go when there was no position for him in Italy?
5. Which book of Joyce's was published in 1907 but for which he received no money?
(a) My Father's Song.
(d) Chamber Music.
6. Who was Joyce's younger brother?
7. Joyce's father took special pride in the family's ______________________.
(b) Red hair.
(d) Coat of arms.
8. Joyce was working on stories that would become which book?
(b) In Flight.
(c) O'My Irish Heritage.
(d) Celtic Calamities.
9. Joyce could not attend school in the city in #25 because the school wants the fees right away and __________________.
(a) He is not a French citizen.
(b) He is too young.
(c) He does not have the academic credits.
(d) His French is not good enough.
10. Joyce could be categorized as ____________________.
(a) A martyr.
(b) A bohemian.
(c) A sociopath.
(d) A philanthropist.
11. When was Joyce's birthday?
(a) February 2, 1882.
(b) September 15, 1865.
(c) June 25 1860.
(d) May 7, 1907.
12. Who was the publisher who agreed to print DUBLINERS?
(a) Grant Richard.
(b) Morris Stanton.
(c) Patrick Shannon.
(d) Edward Sloane.
13. What was the name of the theater that Joyce established?
(a) The Guild.
(b) The Volta.
(c) The Standard.
(d) The Phoenix.
14. Joyce wrote a review of a play written by _________________ and received a complimentary letter from the playwright himself.
15. Which one of Joyce's siblings worked with him at the school in Trieste?
Short Answer Questions
1. Joyce is a name of ________________ origin.
2. Where did the Joyces move when World War I broke out?
3. What expensive item did Joyce buy for Nora in Galway?
4. What did Joyce and Nora name their son?
5. Joyce left Trieste and took a job _________________ in Rome.
This section contains 366 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)