|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Joyce had physical problems with iritis and _________________.
(a) Heart palpitations.
2. What expensive item did Joyce buy for Nora in Galway?
(d) Fur coat.
3. Who was the favorite child in the Joyce family?
4. Which of the following was NOT one of Joyce's activities in 1904?
5. Joyce left Trieste and took a job _________________ in Rome.
(a) At a restaurant.
(b) At a university.
(c) At a bank.
(d) At a publishing company.
6. What religion did the Joyce family practice?
7. What novel did Joyce begin to write in 1904?
(a) Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.
(b) For Whom the Bell Tolls.
(c) From Here to Eternity.
(d) Cheri and The Last of Cheri.
8. What was the cause of the death of Joyce's brother?
(a) Typhoid Fever.
(b) Boating accident.
9. What was the name of the theater that Joyce established?
(a) The Standard.
(b) The Phoenix.
(c) The Volta.
(d) The Guild.
10. How many children did Joyce's parents have?
11. What did Joyce consider to be life's most important relationship?
(a) Between husband and wife.
(b) Between brothers.
(c) Between mother and child.
(d) Between father and son.
12. Why did Joyce's newspaper never take off?
(a) His father died.
(b) He couldn't get funding.
(c) He got ill.
(d) He left for Vienna.
13. Where did Joyce go to further his studies?
14. Which book of Joyce's was published in 1907 but for which he received no money?
(a) Chamber Music.
(c) My Father's Song.
15. Joyce was working on stories that would become which book?
(b) O'My Irish Heritage.
(c) Celtic Calamities.
(d) In Flight.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Joyce and Nora name their son?
2. What did Joyce and Nora name their new daughter?
3. Who was the main character in Joyce's ULYSSES?
4. Who was Joyce's boss in the city in #41?
5. What word did the publisher have Joyce remove from DUBLINERS?
This section contains 323 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)