|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of Joyce's sisters came to live with him in Trieste?
2. Which of the following was NOT one of Joyce's activities in 1904?
3. Where did Joyce go when there was no position for him in Italy?
4. The city in #43 is known for being _____________________.
(a) A poor city.
(b) A cultural center.
(c) An ancient city.
(d) A port city.
5. Which friend did Joyce make in college who remained a good friend for many years?
6. How many mortgages did Joyce's father have to take out to support his family?
7. Who was Joyce's boss in the city in #41?
8. Joyce is a name of ________________ origin.
9. What was the name of the theater that Joyce established?
(a) The Volta.
(b) The Standard.
(c) The Phoenix.
(d) The Guild.
10. Who was Joyce's father?
11. Who was Joyce's younger brother?
12. Why did the manager of the school love Joyce?
(a) He brought in wealthy students.
(b) He took on more responsibilities.
(c) He was very witty.
(d) He always worked overtime.
13. Who was the favorite child in the Joyce family?
14. Why did Joyce eventually return home from Paris?
(a) He wanted to teach in Ireland.
(b) He wanted to run for public office.
(c) His mother was ill.
(d) He was homesick.
15. Joyce could be categorized as ____________________.
(a) A bohemian.
(b) A martyr.
(c) A philanthropist.
(d) A sociopath.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Joyce do to earn extra money?
2. Which book of Joyce's was published in 1907 but for which he received no money?
3. Why had Joyce and Nora not yet married?
4. Joyce had physical problems with iritis and _________________.
5. What expensive item did Joyce buy for Nora in Galway?
This section contains 341 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)