|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Joyce's father took special pride in the family's ______________________.
(b) Coat of arms.
(d) Red hair.
2. Who saved Joyce's draft of PORTRAIT OF THE ARTIST AS A YOUNG MAN when he tossed it into the fire?
3. Joyce was assured that he had a job waiting for him in which Italian city?
4. The Joyces moved in with which family in Trieste?
5. Joyce left Trieste and took a job _________________ in Rome.
(a) At a publishing company.
(b) At a university.
(c) At a bank.
(d) At a restaurant.
6. What was the name of the theater that Joyce established?
(a) The Volta.
(b) The Phoenix.
(c) The Standard.
(d) The Guild.
7. Who was Joyce's boss in the city in #41?
8. Who was the London acquaintance who helped Joyce search for jobs?
(a) Miss Galloway.
(b) Miss Sloane.
(c) Miss O'Hara.
(d) Miss Gilfrod.
9. School records show that Joyce was punished for ______________________.
(b) Vulgar language.
(d) Being late.
10. Who was the favorite child in the Joyce family?
11. Why did Joyce have trouble finding housing in Trieste?
(a) He wanted something close to work.
(b) He and Nora were not married and she was pregnant.
(c) He wanted a waterfront flat.
(d) He could not afford the rent.
12. Joyce could not attend school in the city in #25 because the school wants the fees right away and __________________.
(a) He does not have the academic credits.
(b) He is too young.
(c) His French is not good enough.
(d) He is not a French citizen.
13. Where did Joyce and Nora live in 1904?
14. Which book of Joyce's was published in 1907 but for which he received no money?
(b) My Father's Song.
(c) Chamber Music.
15. Which of Joyce's sisters came to live with him in Trieste?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was always an important source of inspiration for Joyce's literary works?
2. How many mortgages did Joyce's father have to take out to support his family?
3. Joyce always had a talent for __________________.
4. What was the name of the newspaper Joyce wanted to start?
5. Where did Joyce consider moving his family when he lost his job in Rome?
This section contains 373 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)