|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Joyce could not attend school in the city in #25 because the school wants the fees right away and __________________.
(a) He is not a French citizen.
(b) His French is not good enough.
(c) He does not have the academic credits.
(d) He is too young.
2. Why had Joyce and Nora not yet married?
(a) Nora was not sure she loved him.
(b) They didn't have the money for a wedding.
(c) They wanted to rebel against society.
(d) Joyce did not want to get married.
3. School records show that Joyce was punished for ______________________.
(a) Vulgar language.
(b) Being late.
4. What word did the publisher have Joyce remove from DUBLINERS?
5. What did Joyce and Nora name their new daughter?
6. How many children did Joyce's parents have?
7. Which writer wrote to Joyce asking for some of Joyce's work to be included in an anthology?
(a) William Yeats.
(b) Ezra Pound.
(c) Henry David Thoreau.
(d) Ernest Hemingway.
8. Who was the main character in Joyce's ULYSSES?
(a) Peter Gallagher.
(b) Harold Sloane.
(c) Leopold Bloom.
(d) Barry Connely.
9. Who was Joyce's governess?
(a) Mrs. Heiby.
(b) Mrs. Collins.
(c) Mrs. Dante.
(d) Mrs. O'Hara.
10. Where did Joyce go when there was no position for him in Italy?
11. The Joyces moved in with which family in Trieste?
12. Who was Joyce's mother?
13. Joyce's father took special pride in the family's ______________________.
(a) Coat of arms.
(b) Red hair.
14. Who was Joyce's father?
15. Where did Joyce go to further his studies?
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Joyce choose to deal with his troubles?
2. Which friend did Joyce make in college who remained a good friend for many years?
3. What was the name of the newspaper Joyce wanted to start?
4. What did Joyce and Nora name their son?
5. What was always an important source of inspiration for Joyce's literary works?
This section contains 339 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)