|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Joyce and Nora name their new daughter?
2. Who was Joyce's younger brother?
3. Who was Joyce's father?
4. Joyce searched for job vacancies at ______________________ throughout Europe.
(b) Berlitz schools.
(d) Travel agencies.
5. Which of Joyce's brothers died young?
6. What preparatory school did Joyce and his younger brother attend?
(c) St. Martin's.
7. Joyce left Trieste and took a job _________________ in Rome.
(a) At a publishing company.
(b) At a bank.
(c) At a restaurant.
(d) At a university.
8. Joyce briefly considered a career in _______________.
9. Where did Joyce go when there was no position for him in Italy?
10. Who was the London acquaintance who helped Joyce search for jobs?
(a) Miss O'Hara.
(b) Miss Sloane.
(c) Miss Gilfrod.
(d) Miss Galloway.
11. What was the name of the newspaper Joyce wanted to start?
(a) The Standard.
(b) The Goblin.
(c) The Shamrock.
(d) The Dubliner.
12. Why did the manager of the school love Joyce?
(a) He took on more responsibilities.
(b) He always worked overtime.
(c) He was very witty.
(d) He brought in wealthy students.
13. What was one of Joyce's two main goals in 1909?
(a) To become a professor.
(b) To learn how to sail.
(c) To visit Russia.
(d) To travel the world.
14. Why did Joyce eventually return home from Paris?
(a) He was homesick.
(b) He wanted to run for public office.
(c) His mother was ill.
(d) He wanted to teach in Ireland.
15. Which of the following is NOT true about Joyce's younger brother?
(a) He was athletic.
(b) He was blunt.
(c) He was artistic.
(d) He was determined.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Joyce do to earn extra money?
2. Who was Joyce's governess?
3. Where is Joyce transferred when he is forced to leave the position in #41?
4. Which of the following was NOT one of Joyce's activities in 1904?
5. What was the cause of the death of Joyce's brother?
This section contains 340 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)