|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Joyce go to college?
(a) Trinity College.
(b) Griffith College.
(c) Oxford University.
(d) University College.
2. What was the name of the newspaper Joyce wanted to start?
(a) The Dubliner.
(b) The Standard.
(c) The Goblin.
(d) The Shamrock.
3. What novel did Joyce begin to write in 1904?
(a) For Whom the Bell Tolls.
(b) Cheri and The Last of Cheri.
(c) From Here to Eternity.
(d) Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.
4. Joyce is a name of ________________ origin.
5. When was Joyce's birthday?
(a) February 2, 1882.
(b) September 15, 1865.
(c) June 25 1860.
(d) May 7, 1907.
6. What did Joyce do to earn extra money?
(a) Taught English.
(b) Drove a cab.
(c) Sold men's clothes.
(d) Cooked at a diner.
7. Which friend did Joyce make in college who remained a good friend for many years?
8. Where did the Joyces move when World War I broke out?
9. Joyce was working on stories that would become which book?
(a) O'My Irish Heritage.
(b) In Flight.
(d) Celtic Calamities.
10. Which of Joyce's sisters came to live with him in Trieste?
11. Who was the main character in the novel in #32?
(a) Stephen Hero.
(b) David Trimble.
(c) John Paulus.
(d) Michael Collins.
12. Which writer began to help Joyce with publishing his work?
13. What did Joyce and Nora name their new daughter?
14. Where did Joyce and Nora live in 1904?
15. Which book of Joyce's was published in 1907 but for which he received no money?
(b) My Father's Song.
(d) Chamber Music.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of Joyce's siblings worked with him at the school in Trieste?
2. Who was Joyce's mother?
3. Which of the following was NOT true about Joyce as a child?
4. School records show that Joyce was punished for ______________________.
5. Where did Joyce consider moving his family when he lost his job in Rome?
This section contains 327 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)