|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Joyce wrote a review of a play written by _________________ and received a complimentary letter from the playwright himself.
2. When was Joyce's birthday?
(a) February 2, 1882.
(b) September 15, 1865.
(c) May 7, 1907.
(d) June 25 1860.
3. What religion did the Joyce family practice?
4. Why had Joyce and Nora not yet married?
(a) They wanted to rebel against society.
(b) Nora was not sure she loved him.
(c) Joyce did not want to get married.
(d) They didn't have the money for a wedding.
5. Who was Joyce's mother?
6. Who saved Joyce's draft of PORTRAIT OF THE ARTIST AS A YOUNG MAN when he tossed it into the fire?
7. Who was the main character in the novel in #32?
(a) John Paulus.
(b) Stephen Hero.
(c) Michael Collins.
(d) David Trimble.
8. What was always an important source of inspiration for Joyce's literary works?
9. Who was Joyce's governess?
(a) Mrs. Heiby.
(b) Mrs. Dante.
(c) Mrs. O'Hara.
(d) Mrs. Collins.
10. Who was the publisher who agreed to print DUBLINERS?
(a) Grant Richard.
(b) Edward Sloane.
(c) Patrick Shannon.
(d) Morris Stanton.
11. Joyce was working on stories that would become which book?
(a) In Flight.
(c) O'My Irish Heritage.
(d) Celtic Calamities.
12. How did Joyce choose to deal with his troubles?
(a) He drank heavily.
(b) He addressed them directly.
(c) He slept.
(d) He did drugs.
13. The Joyces moved in with which family in Trieste?
14. Joyce's father took special pride in the family's ______________________.
(b) Red hair.
(c) Coat of arms.
15. Which of the following is NOT true about Joyce's younger brother?
(a) He was artistic.
(b) He was determined.
(c) He was blunt.
(d) He was athletic.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Joyce transferred when he is forced to leave the position in #41?
2. Who was the favorite child in the Joyce family?
3. Which writer began to help Joyce with publishing his work?
4. Which book of Joyce's was published in 1907 but for which he received no money?
5. What did Joyce and Nora name their new daughter?
This section contains 340 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)