|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Joyce is a name of ________________ origin.
2. What novel did Joyce begin to write in 1904?
(a) For Whom the Bell Tolls.
(b) Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.
(c) Cheri and The Last of Cheri.
(d) From Here to Eternity.
3. What did Joyce forbid Nora to wear on the trip in #68?
(a) A wedding band.
(b) Diamond earrings.
(c) A fur coat.
(d) High heels.
4. Joyce searched for job vacancies at ______________________ throughout Europe.
(a) Berlitz schools.
(b) Travel agencies.
5. What expensive item did Joyce buy for Nora in Galway?
(a) Fur coat.
6. Who was the London acquaintance who helped Joyce search for jobs?
(a) Miss Sloane.
(b) Miss Gilfrod.
(c) Miss Galloway.
(d) Miss O'Hara.
7. Who was Joyce's governess?
(a) Mrs. O'Hara.
(b) Mrs. Dante.
(c) Mrs. Collins.
(d) Mrs. Heiby.
8. Where did Joyce and Nora live in 1904?
9. What did Joyce do to earn extra money?
(a) Sold men's clothes.
(b) Cooked at a diner.
(c) Drove a cab.
(d) Taught English.
10. Who was the main character in Joyce's ULYSSES?
(a) Harold Sloane.
(b) Leopold Bloom.
(c) Barry Connely.
(d) Peter Gallagher.
11. Why did the manager of the school love Joyce?
(a) He always worked overtime.
(b) He took on more responsibilities.
(c) He brought in wealthy students.
(d) He was very witty.
12. Which writer wrote to Joyce asking for some of Joyce's work to be included in an anthology?
(a) Ernest Hemingway.
(b) Ezra Pound.
(c) Henry David Thoreau.
(d) William Yeats.
13. Where did Joyce go when there was no position for him in Italy?
14. Which of Joyce's sisters came to live with him in Trieste?
15. How many children did Joyce's parents have?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Joyce's newspaper never take off?
2. What was one of Joyce's two main goals in 1909?
3. Which of the following was NOT one of Joyce's activities in 1904?
4. Which friend did Joyce make in college who remained a good friend for many years?
5. Who was the favorite child in the Joyce family?
This section contains 354 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)