|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Joyce is a name of ________________ origin.
2. Who was the main character in the novel in #32?
(a) John Paulus.
(b) Stephen Hero.
(c) David Trimble.
(d) Michael Collins.
3. How many mortgages did Joyce's father have to take out to support his family?
4. Which of the following was NOT true about Joyce as a child?
(a) He was nearsighted.
(b) He was sullen.
(c) He was self-sufficient.
(d) He was well-behaved.
5. Where did the Joyces move when World War I broke out?
6. What novel did Joyce begin to write in 1904?
(a) Cheri and The Last of Cheri.
(b) For Whom the Bell Tolls.
(c) From Here to Eternity.
(d) Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.
7. Joyce had a falling out with his old friend and replaced him with ____________________.
(a) Marcus Jameson.
(b) Oliver Gogarty.
(c) Patrick Connelly.
(d) Miguel Ramirez.
8. What did Joyce forbid Nora to wear on the trip in #68?
(a) High heels.
(b) A fur coat.
(c) Diamond earrings.
(d) A wedding band.
9. What was the name of the newspaper Joyce wanted to start?
(a) The Dubliner.
(b) The Goblin.
(c) The Standard.
(d) The Shamrock.
10. When was Joyce's birthday?
(a) June 25 1860.
(b) September 15, 1865.
(c) February 2, 1882.
(d) May 7, 1907.
11. What did Joyce and Nora name their new daughter?
12. What was one of Joyce's two main goals in 1909?
(a) To become a professor.
(b) To travel the world.
(c) To visit Russia.
(d) To learn how to sail.
13. In 1912 Joyce sent Nora and Lucia on a trip to __________________.
14. What preparatory school did Joyce and his younger brother attend?
(a) St. Martin's.
15. Where did Joyce consider moving his family when he lost his job in Rome?
(d) Monte Carlo.
Short Answer Questions
1. What expensive item did Joyce buy for Nora in Galway?
2. What was always an important source of inspiration for Joyce's literary works?
3. The city in #43 is known for being _____________________.
4. Joyce's father took special pride in the family's ______________________.
5. What was the name of the theater that Joyce established?
This section contains 349 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)