|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the favorite child in the Joyce family?
2. Which book of Joyce's was published in 1907 but for which he received no money?
(a) My Father's Song.
(c) Chamber Music.
3. Which of Joyce's sisters came to live with him in Trieste?
4. Joyce was working on stories that would become which book?
(a) O'My Irish Heritage.
(b) In Flight.
(c) Celtic Calamities.
5. Joyce was assured that he had a job waiting for him in which Italian city?
6. What expensive item did Joyce buy for Nora in Galway?
(a) Fur coat.
7. Who was the publisher who agreed to print DUBLINERS?
(a) Patrick Shannon.
(b) Edward Sloane.
(c) Grant Richard.
(d) Morris Stanton.
8. What was the name of the newspaper Joyce wanted to start?
(a) The Shamrock.
(b) The Goblin.
(c) The Dubliner.
(d) The Standard.
9. School records show that Joyce was punished for ______________________.
(a) Being late.
(b) Vulgar language.
10. Who was Joyce's governess?
(a) Mrs. Collins.
(b) Mrs. Heiby.
(c) Mrs. Dante.
(d) Mrs. O'Hara.
11. Why did Joyce have trouble finding housing in Trieste?
(a) He wanted something close to work.
(b) He wanted a waterfront flat.
(c) He and Nora were not married and she was pregnant.
(d) He could not afford the rent.
12. What was one of Joyce's two main goals in 1909?
(a) To visit Russia.
(b) To learn how to sail.
(c) To become a professor.
(d) To travel the world.
13. Which one of Joyce's siblings worked with him at the school in Trieste?
14. Joyce left Trieste and took a job _________________ in Rome.
(a) At a restaurant.
(b) At a bank.
(c) At a university.
(d) At a publishing company.
15. In what city was Joyce born?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which writer began to help Joyce with publishing his work?
2. How did Joyce choose to deal with his troubles?
3. What was the name of the theater that Joyce established?
4. The city in #43 is known for being _____________________.
5. Who was Joyce's boss in the city in #41?
This section contains 357 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)