|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Joyce have trouble finding housing in Trieste?
(a) He wanted a waterfront flat.
(b) He and Nora were not married and she was pregnant.
(c) He could not afford the rent.
(d) He wanted something close to work.
2. Joyce left Trieste and took a job _________________ in Rome.
(a) At a restaurant.
(b) At a university.
(c) At a publishing company.
(d) At a bank.
3. Where did Joyce go to college?
(a) University College.
(b) Trinity College.
(c) Oxford University.
(d) Griffith College.
4. What was always an important source of inspiration for Joyce's literary works?
5. What preparatory school did Joyce and his younger brother attend?
(d) St. Martin's.
6. How many mortgages did Joyce's father have to take out to support his family?
7. What was one of Joyce's two main goals in 1909?
(a) To visit Russia.
(b) To learn how to sail.
(c) To become a professor.
(d) To travel the world.
8. What was the cause of the death of Joyce's brother?
(b) Boating accident.
(c) Typhoid Fever.
9. Joyce was working on stories that would become which book?
(a) O'My Irish Heritage.
(c) In Flight.
(d) Celtic Calamities.
10. Joyce briefly considered a career in _______________.
11. Which of the following is NOT true about Joyce's younger brother?
(a) He was athletic.
(b) He was determined.
(c) He was blunt.
(d) He was artistic.
12. In 1912 Joyce sent Nora and Lucia on a trip to __________________.
13. The Joyces moved in with which family in Trieste?
14. Joyce was assured that he had a job waiting for him in which Italian city?
15. Which book of Joyce's was published in 1907 but for which he received no money?
(a) Chamber Music.
(d) My Father's Song.
Short Answer Questions
1. Joyce is a name of ________________ origin.
2. Joyce could be categorized as ____________________.
3. From what disease did Joyce's mother die?
4. Joyce could not attend school in the city in #25 because the school wants the fees right away and __________________.
5. Why did Joyce eventually return home from Paris?
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)