|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the manager of the school love Joyce?
(a) He always worked overtime.
(b) He took on more responsibilities.
(c) He brought in wealthy students.
(d) He was very witty.
2. Where did Joyce and Nora live in 1904?
3. Joyce had physical problems with iritis and _________________.
(a) Heart palpitations.
4. Why did Joyce eventually return home from Paris?
(a) He wanted to teach in Ireland.
(b) His mother was ill.
(c) He wanted to run for public office.
(d) He was homesick.
5. Joyce could be categorized as ____________________.
(a) A martyr.
(b) A philanthropist.
(c) A bohemian.
(d) A sociopath.
6. Which of the following is NOT true about Joyce's younger brother?
(a) He was determined.
(b) He was artistic.
(c) He was athletic.
(d) He was blunt.
7. What did Joyce consider to be life's most important relationship?
(a) Between brothers.
(b) Between husband and wife.
(c) Between mother and child.
(d) Between father and son.
8. In what city was Joyce born?
9. Who is the girl Joyce began to date in 1904?
(a) Siobbhan O'Meara.
(b) Nora Barnacle.
(c) Audrey Spenser.
(d) Laura Morgan.
10. How many children did Joyce's parents have?
11. What did Joyce forbid Nora to wear on the trip in #68?
(a) High heels.
(b) A wedding band.
(c) A fur coat.
(d) Diamond earrings.
12. What was the name of the newspaper Joyce wanted to start?
(a) The Dubliner.
(b) The Standard.
(c) The Shamrock.
(d) The Goblin.
13. What preparatory school did Joyce and his younger brother attend?
(d) St. Martin's.
14. Who was Joyce's governess?
(a) Mrs. Collins.
(b) Mrs. Dante.
(c) Mrs. O'Hara.
(d) Mrs. Heiby.
15. Why did Joyce have trouble finding housing in Trieste?
(a) He wanted a waterfront flat.
(b) He and Nora were not married and she was pregnant.
(c) He wanted something close to work.
(d) He could not afford the rent.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Joyce and Nora name their son?
2. Joyce was assured that he had a job waiting for him in which Italian city?
3. Who was the favorite child in the Joyce family?
4. When was Joyce's birthday?
5. Who was the main character in the novel in #32?
This section contains 344 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)