|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who saved Joyce's draft of PORTRAIT OF THE ARTIST AS A YOUNG MAN when he tossed it into the fire?
2. Who was the London acquaintance who helped Joyce search for jobs?
(a) Miss Gilfrod.
(b) Miss Sloane.
(c) Miss O'Hara.
(d) Miss Galloway.
3. Which one of Joyce's siblings worked with him at the school in Trieste?
4. Joyce had a falling out with his old friend and replaced him with ____________________.
(a) Marcus Jameson.
(b) Miguel Ramirez.
(c) Patrick Connelly.
(d) Oliver Gogarty.
5. Which friend did Joyce make in college who remained a good friend for many years?
6. Which of Joyce's brothers died young?
7. Where did the Joyces move when World War I broke out?
8. The city in #43 is known for being _____________________.
(a) A cultural center.
(b) An ancient city.
(c) A poor city.
(d) A port city.
9. How many mortgages did Joyce's father have to take out to support his family?
10. What novel did Joyce begin to write in 1904?
(a) From Here to Eternity.
(b) Cheri and The Last of Cheri.
(c) For Whom the Bell Tolls.
(d) Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.
11. Which writer wrote to Joyce asking for some of Joyce's work to be included in an anthology?
(a) William Yeats.
(b) Ernest Hemingway.
(c) Henry David Thoreau.
(d) Ezra Pound.
12. Where did Joyce consider moving his family when he lost his job in Rome?
(a) Monte Carlo.
13. Who was Joyce's governess?
(a) Mrs. O'Hara.
(b) Mrs. Dante.
(c) Mrs. Heiby.
(d) Mrs. Collins.
14. Who was Joyce's father?
15. What did Joyce forbid Nora to wear on the trip in #68?
(a) High heels.
(b) A wedding band.
(c) A fur coat.
(d) Diamond earrings.
Short Answer Questions
1. Joyce left Trieste and took a job _________________ in Rome.
2. What was the cause of the death of Joyce's brother?
3. What was the name of the newspaper Joyce wanted to start?
4. What was one of Joyce's two main goals in 1909?
5. Joyce was assured that he had a job waiting for him in which Italian city?
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)