|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Joyce wrote a review of a play written by _________________ and received a complimentary letter from the playwright himself.
2. From what disease did Joyce's mother die?
(a) Lead poisoning.
(b) Heart disease.
3. Who was the London acquaintance who helped Joyce search for jobs?
(a) Miss Gilfrod.
(b) Miss Sloane.
(c) Miss O'Hara.
(d) Miss Galloway.
4. What did Joyce and Nora name their new daughter?
5. How did Joyce choose to deal with his troubles?
(a) He slept.
(b) He did drugs.
(c) He addressed them directly.
(d) He drank heavily.
6. Joyce could be categorized as ____________________.
(a) A martyr.
(b) A sociopath.
(c) A bohemian.
(d) A philanthropist.
7. Joyce's father took special pride in the family's ______________________.
(b) Red hair.
(d) Coat of arms.
8. In what city was Joyce born?
9. Joyce had physical problems with iritis and _________________.
(d) Heart palpitations.
10. Joyce left Trieste and took a job _________________ in Rome.
(a) At a bank.
(b) At a university.
(c) At a publishing company.
(d) At a restaurant.
11. Who was Joyce's mother?
12. Which of the following was NOT true about Joyce as a child?
(a) He was sullen.
(b) He was nearsighted.
(c) He was well-behaved.
(d) He was self-sufficient.
13. Which of Joyce's sisters came to live with him in Trieste?
14. What was the cause of the death of Joyce's brother?
(a) Boating accident.
(c) Typhoid Fever.
15. Who was the main character in the novel in #32?
(a) Michael Collins.
(b) John Paulus.
(c) David Trimble.
(d) Stephen Hero.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Joyce's father?
2. Why did the manager of the school love Joyce?
3. In 1912 Joyce sent Nora and Lucia on a trip to __________________.
4. What preparatory school did Joyce and his younger brother attend?
5. Joyce was assured that he had a job waiting for him in which Italian city?
This section contains 323 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)