|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Joyce consider moving his family when he lost his job in Rome?
(c) Monte Carlo.
2. Joyce could be categorized as ____________________.
(a) A martyr.
(b) A bohemian.
(c) A philanthropist.
(d) A sociopath.
3. What did Joyce forbid Nora to wear on the trip in #68?
(a) Diamond earrings.
(b) A wedding band.
(c) High heels.
(d) A fur coat.
4. Where did Joyce go when there was no position for him in Italy?
5. Who was the London acquaintance who helped Joyce search for jobs?
(a) Miss Sloane.
(b) Miss Galloway.
(c) Miss Gilfrod.
(d) Miss O'Hara.
6. Why did the manager of the school love Joyce?
(a) He was very witty.
(b) He always worked overtime.
(c) He took on more responsibilities.
(d) He brought in wealthy students.
7. Why did Joyce have trouble finding housing in Trieste?
(a) He could not afford the rent.
(b) He and Nora were not married and she was pregnant.
(c) He wanted something close to work.
(d) He wanted a waterfront flat.
8. The Joyces moved in with which family in Trieste?
9. What religion did the Joyce family practice?
10. Why did Joyce's newspaper never take off?
(a) He got ill.
(b) He couldn't get funding.
(c) He left for Vienna.
(d) His father died.
11. School records show that Joyce was punished for ______________________.
(a) Being late.
(b) Vulgar language.
12. Who was Joyce's boss in the city in #41?
13. Which writer wrote to Joyce asking for some of Joyce's work to be included in an anthology?
(a) Ernest Hemingway.
(b) Henry David Thoreau.
(c) William Yeats.
(d) Ezra Pound.
14. Which of Joyce's brothers died young?
15. What preparatory school did Joyce and his younger brother attend?
(c) St. Martin's.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what city was Joyce born?
2. What novel did Joyce begin to write in 1904?
3. Joyce wrote a review of a play written by _________________ and received a complimentary letter from the playwright himself.
4. What was the name of the theater that Joyce established?
5. Which of Joyce's sisters came to live with him in Trieste?
This section contains 370 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)