|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What novel did Joyce begin to write in 1904?
(a) From Here to Eternity.
(b) For Whom the Bell Tolls.
(c) Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.
(d) Cheri and The Last of Cheri.
2. Which writer wrote to Joyce asking for some of Joyce's work to be included in an anthology?
(a) William Yeats.
(b) Henry David Thoreau.
(c) Ernest Hemingway.
(d) Ezra Pound.
3. Which one of Joyce's siblings worked with him at the school in Trieste?
4. Joyce had physical problems with iritis and _________________.
(c) Heart palpitations.
5. Who was Joyce's younger brother?
6. What was the name of the theater that Joyce established?
(a) The Volta.
(b) The Guild.
(c) The Standard.
(d) The Phoenix.
7. Who was Joyce's father?
8. In what city was Joyce born?
9. Where did Joyce go to college?
(a) University College.
(b) Oxford University.
(c) Griffith College.
(d) Trinity College.
10. Joyce was working on stories that would become which book?
(a) In Flight.
(c) O'My Irish Heritage.
(d) Celtic Calamities.
11. What did Joyce and Nora name their new daughter?
12. Who was the main character in Joyce's ULYSSES?
(a) Leopold Bloom.
(b) Barry Connely.
(c) Harold Sloane.
(d) Peter Gallagher.
13. What expensive item did Joyce buy for Nora in Galway?
(a) Fur coat.
14. Where did the Joyces move when World War I broke out?
15. Who is the girl Joyce began to date in 1904?
(a) Siobbhan O'Meara.
(b) Nora Barnacle.
(c) Laura Morgan.
(d) Audrey Spenser.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Joyce do to earn extra money?
2. Joyce briefly considered a career in _______________.
3. Why did the manager of the school love Joyce?
4. How many children did Joyce's parents have?
5. What preparatory school did Joyce and his younger brother attend?
This section contains 318 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)