|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which writer began to help Joyce with publishing his work?
2. Which of Joyce's sisters came to live with him in Trieste?
3. How many mortgages did Joyce's father have to take out to support his family?
4. Who saved Joyce's draft of PORTRAIT OF THE ARTIST AS A YOUNG MAN when he tossed it into the fire?
5. What expensive item did Joyce buy for Nora in Galway?
(b) Fur coat.
6. What did Joyce forbid Nora to wear on the trip in #68?
(a) High heels.
(b) Diamond earrings.
(c) A wedding band.
(d) A fur coat.
7. Who was the favorite child in the Joyce family?
8. Who was Joyce's mother?
9. How many children did Joyce's parents have?
10. Where did Joyce and Nora live in 1904?
11. Joyce searched for job vacancies at ______________________ throughout Europe.
(a) Travel agencies.
(c) Berlitz schools.
12. Why did the manager of the school love Joyce?
(a) He took on more responsibilities.
(b) He brought in wealthy students.
(c) He was very witty.
(d) He always worked overtime.
13. Who was Joyce's governess?
(a) Mrs. Heiby.
(b) Mrs. Dante.
(c) Mrs. O'Hara.
(d) Mrs. Collins.
14. Joyce had a falling out with his old friend and replaced him with ____________________.
(a) Oliver Gogarty.
(b) Marcus Jameson.
(c) Miguel Ramirez.
(d) Patrick Connelly.
15. What did Joyce do to earn extra money?
(a) Taught English.
(b) Sold men's clothes.
(c) Drove a cab.
(d) Cooked at a diner.
Short Answer Questions
1. Joyce was assured that he had a job waiting for him in which Italian city?
2. Joyce is a name of ________________ origin.
3. Which writer wrote to Joyce asking for some of Joyce's work to be included in an anthology?
4. Joyce left Trieste and took a job _________________ in Rome.
5. Why did Joyce have trouble finding housing in Trieste?
This section contains 349 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)