|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which writer wrote to Joyce asking for some of Joyce's work to be included in an anthology?
(a) Ernest Hemingway.
(b) Henry David Thoreau.
(c) Ezra Pound.
(d) William Yeats.
2. What did Joyce consider to be life's most important relationship?
(a) Between brothers.
(b) Between mother and child.
(c) Between father and son.
(d) Between husband and wife.
3. In 1912 Joyce sent Nora and Lucia on a trip to __________________.
4. What was always an important source of inspiration for Joyce's literary works?
5. Which friend did Joyce make in college who remained a good friend for many years?
6. Where did Joyce go when there was no position for him in Italy?
7. What religion did the Joyce family practice?
8. Which of the following is NOT true about Joyce's younger brother?
(a) He was determined.
(b) He was athletic.
(c) He was artistic.
(d) He was blunt.
9. Joyce always had a talent for __________________.
(b) Playing the violin.
10. Who was Joyce's mother?
11. Joyce wrote a review of a play written by _________________ and received a complimentary letter from the playwright himself.
12. Who was the publisher who agreed to print DUBLINERS?
(a) Grant Richard.
(b) Edward Sloane.
(c) Morris Stanton.
(d) Patrick Shannon.
13. Where did Joyce go to college?
(a) Oxford University.
(b) University College.
(c) Trinity College.
(d) Griffith College.
14. When was Joyce's birthday?
(a) September 15, 1865.
(b) May 7, 1907.
(c) June 25 1860.
(d) February 2, 1882.
15. Why did Joyce eventually return home from Paris?
(a) He was homesick.
(b) He wanted to teach in Ireland.
(c) He wanted to run for public office.
(d) His mother was ill.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which writer began to help Joyce with publishing his work?
2. Why did Joyce's newspaper never take off?
3. Which of Joyce's brothers died young?
4. Joyce could not attend school in the city in #25 because the school wants the fees right away and __________________.
5. Who saved Joyce's draft of PORTRAIT OF THE ARTIST AS A YOUNG MAN when he tossed it into the fire?
This section contains 369 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)