|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why had Joyce and Nora not yet married?
(a) They didn't have the money for a wedding.
(b) They wanted to rebel against society.
(c) Nora was not sure she loved him.
(d) Joyce did not want to get married.
2. Joyce always had a talent for __________________.
(c) Playing the violin.
3. What did Joyce and Nora name their son?
4. The Joyces moved in with which family in Trieste?
5. Which of the following is NOT true about Joyce's younger brother?
(a) He was determined.
(b) He was athletic.
(c) He was artistic.
(d) He was blunt.
6. Which of the following was NOT one of Joyce's activities in 1904?
7. Joyce could not attend school in the city in #25 because the school wants the fees right away and __________________.
(a) He does not have the academic credits.
(b) His French is not good enough.
(c) He is too young.
(d) He is not a French citizen.
8. Why did Joyce have trouble finding housing in Trieste?
(a) He wanted something close to work.
(b) He and Nora were not married and she was pregnant.
(c) He wanted a waterfront flat.
(d) He could not afford the rent.
9. Why did Joyce's newspaper never take off?
(a) He left for Vienna.
(b) He got ill.
(c) His father died.
(d) He couldn't get funding.
10. Who was the London acquaintance who helped Joyce search for jobs?
(a) Miss O'Hara.
(b) Miss Sloane.
(c) Miss Gilfrod.
(d) Miss Galloway.
11. Joyce's father took special pride in the family's ______________________.
(a) Red hair.
(b) Coat of arms.
12. Who was Joyce's younger brother?
13. Where did Joyce and Nora live in 1904?
14. Joyce left Trieste and took a job _________________ in Rome.
(a) At a restaurant.
(b) At a university.
(c) At a publishing company.
(d) At a bank.
15. Who saved Joyce's draft of PORTRAIT OF THE ARTIST AS A YOUNG MAN when he tossed it into the fire?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the theater that Joyce established?
2. What did Joyce forbid Nora to wear on the trip in #68?
3. What was always an important source of inspiration for Joyce's literary works?
4. How many mortgages did Joyce's father have to take out to support his family?
5. What expensive item did Joyce buy for Nora in Galway?
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)