|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who saved Joyce's draft of PORTRAIT OF THE ARTIST AS A YOUNG MAN when he tossed it into the fire?
2. What did Joyce do to earn extra money?
(a) Taught English.
(b) Cooked at a diner.
(c) Sold men's clothes.
(d) Drove a cab.
3. Where did Joyce and Nora live in 1904?
4. Joyce had a falling out with his old friend and replaced him with ____________________.
(a) Miguel Ramirez.
(b) Marcus Jameson.
(c) Patrick Connelly.
(d) Oliver Gogarty.
5. What religion did the Joyce family practice?
6. Who is the girl Joyce began to date in 1904?
(a) Laura Morgan.
(b) Nora Barnacle.
(c) Audrey Spenser.
(d) Siobbhan O'Meara.
7. Which friend did Joyce make in college who remained a good friend for many years?
8. How many mortgages did Joyce's father have to take out to support his family?
9. Joyce was working on stories that would become which book?
(b) O'My Irish Heritage.
(c) Celtic Calamities.
(d) In Flight.
10. Which of Joyce's sisters came to live with him in Trieste?
11. What did Joyce consider to be life's most important relationship?
(a) Between husband and wife.
(b) Between mother and child.
(c) Between father and son.
(d) Between brothers.
12. How many children did Joyce's parents have?
13. Who was the publisher who agreed to print DUBLINERS?
(a) Grant Richard.
(b) Edward Sloane.
(c) Morris Stanton.
(d) Patrick Shannon.
14. Which of Joyce's brothers died young?
15. Who was Joyce's mother?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Joyce go to further his studies?
2. Who was the main character in the novel in #32?
3. Joyce's father took special pride in the family's ______________________.
4. When was Joyce's birthday?
5. What did Joyce and Nora name their son?
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)