|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Joyce always had a talent for __________________.
(a) Playing the violin.
2. What expensive item did Joyce buy for Nora in Galway?
(a) Fur coat.
3. Why had Joyce and Nora not yet married?
(a) Nora was not sure she loved him.
(b) Joyce did not want to get married.
(c) They didn't have the money for a wedding.
(d) They wanted to rebel against society.
4. School records show that Joyce was punished for ______________________.
(b) Vulgar language.
(d) Being late.
5. Where did Joyce go to further his studies?
6. Who was Joyce's younger brother?
7. What was always an important source of inspiration for Joyce's literary works?
8. What novel did Joyce begin to write in 1904?
(a) For Whom the Bell Tolls.
(b) Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.
(c) Cheri and The Last of Cheri.
(d) From Here to Eternity.
9. Who is the girl Joyce began to date in 1904?
(a) Laura Morgan.
(b) Siobbhan O'Meara.
(c) Audrey Spenser.
(d) Nora Barnacle.
10. What did Joyce forbid Nora to wear on the trip in #68?
(a) High heels.
(b) A wedding band.
(c) Diamond earrings.
(d) A fur coat.
11. What preparatory school did Joyce and his younger brother attend?
(a) St. Martin's.
12. Who was the publisher who agreed to print DUBLINERS?
(a) Grant Richard.
(b) Patrick Shannon.
(c) Edward Sloane.
(d) Morris Stanton.
13. What did Joyce do to earn extra money?
(a) Taught English.
(b) Cooked at a diner.
(c) Drove a cab.
(d) Sold men's clothes.
14. What was the name of the newspaper Joyce wanted to start?
(a) The Dubliner.
(b) The Shamrock.
(c) The Goblin.
(d) The Standard.
15. Which of the following was NOT one of Joyce's activities in 1904?
Short Answer Questions
1. Joyce was working on stories that would become which book?
2. Why did Joyce's newspaper never take off?
3. Joyce wrote a review of a play written by _________________ and received a complimentary letter from the playwright himself.
4. Joyce briefly considered a career in _______________.
5. Who was the favorite child in the Joyce family?
This section contains 353 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)