|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Joyce's governess?
(a) Mrs. O'Hara.
(b) Mrs. Collins.
(c) Mrs. Dante.
(d) Mrs. Heiby.
2. Why did Joyce have trouble finding housing in Trieste?
(a) He wanted a waterfront flat.
(b) He could not afford the rent.
(c) He wanted something close to work.
(d) He and Nora were not married and she was pregnant.
3. Which of Joyce's sisters came to live with him in Trieste?
4. Why did Joyce eventually return home from Paris?
(a) He wanted to run for public office.
(b) He was homesick.
(c) His mother was ill.
(d) He wanted to teach in Ireland.
5. Where did the Joyces move when World War I broke out?
6. Which of the following is NOT true about Joyce's younger brother?
(a) He was determined.
(b) He was artistic.
(c) He was athletic.
(d) He was blunt.
7. Joyce wrote a review of a play written by _________________ and received a complimentary letter from the playwright himself.
8. Which one of Joyce's siblings worked with him at the school in Trieste?
9. From what disease did Joyce's mother die?
(b) Heart disease.
(d) Lead poisoning.
10. Joyce had physical problems with iritis and _________________.
(d) Heart palpitations.
11. How many mortgages did Joyce's father have to take out to support his family?
12. Who saved Joyce's draft of PORTRAIT OF THE ARTIST AS A YOUNG MAN when he tossed it into the fire?
13. How did Joyce choose to deal with his troubles?
(a) He did drugs.
(b) He drank heavily.
(c) He addressed them directly.
(d) He slept.
14. Which of the following was NOT true about Joyce as a child?
(a) He was sullen.
(b) He was nearsighted.
(c) He was self-sufficient.
(d) He was well-behaved.
15. What was one of Joyce's two main goals in 1909?
(a) To learn how to sail.
(b) To visit Russia.
(c) To travel the world.
(d) To become a professor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the theater that Joyce established?
2. Which book of Joyce's was published in 1907 but for which he received no money?
3. Which of the following was NOT one of Joyce's activities in 1904?
4. Who was Joyce's younger brother?
5. Who was the main character in Joyce's ULYSSES?
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)