|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Joyces moved in with which family in Trieste?
2. What expensive item did Joyce buy for Nora in Galway?
(c) Fur coat.
3. Who was the main character in the novel in #32?
(a) Michael Collins.
(b) David Trimble.
(c) John Paulus.
(d) Stephen Hero.
4. Why did Joyce eventually return home from Paris?
(a) His mother was ill.
(b) He was homesick.
(c) He wanted to run for public office.
(d) He wanted to teach in Ireland.
5. Where did Joyce go to college?
(a) University College.
(b) Griffith College.
(c) Oxford University.
(d) Trinity College.
6. Joyce wrote a review of a play written by _________________ and received a complimentary letter from the playwright himself.
7. Where is Joyce transferred when he is forced to leave the position in #41?
(d) New York.
8. Who was the favorite child in the Joyce family?
9. Where did Joyce consider moving his family when he lost his job in Rome?
(a) Monte Carlo.
10. Joyce could not attend school in the city in #25 because the school wants the fees right away and __________________.
(a) He is not a French citizen.
(b) His French is not good enough.
(c) He does not have the academic credits.
(d) He is too young.
11. Why did Joyce's newspaper never take off?
(a) His father died.
(b) He left for Vienna.
(c) He couldn't get funding.
(d) He got ill.
12. Who was Joyce's governess?
(a) Mrs. Heiby.
(b) Mrs. Dante.
(c) Mrs. O'Hara.
(d) Mrs. Collins.
13. Joyce had a falling out with his old friend and replaced him with ____________________.
(a) Marcus Jameson.
(b) Patrick Connelly.
(c) Miguel Ramirez.
(d) Oliver Gogarty.
14. When was Joyce's birthday?
(a) February 2, 1882.
(b) September 15, 1865.
(c) June 25 1860.
(d) May 7, 1907.
15. Where did Joyce and Nora live in 1904?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many mortgages did Joyce's father have to take out to support his family?
2. Joyce briefly considered a career in _______________.
3. Which of Joyce's sisters came to live with him in Trieste?
4. What did Joyce forbid Nora to wear on the trip in #68?
5. Joyce's father took special pride in the family's ______________________.
This section contains 348 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)