|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Joyce's newspaper never take off?
(a) He left for Vienna.
(b) He couldn't get funding.
(c) He got ill.
(d) His father died.
2. The city in #43 is known for being _____________________.
(a) An ancient city.
(b) A poor city.
(c) A cultural center.
(d) A port city.
3. Where did the Joyces move when World War I broke out?
4. Where did Joyce go to further his studies?
5. Who was Joyce's mother?
6. Who is the girl Joyce began to date in 1904?
(a) Laura Morgan.
(b) Siobbhan O'Meara.
(c) Audrey Spenser.
(d) Nora Barnacle.
7. Joyce was assured that he had a job waiting for him in which Italian city?
8. The Joyces moved in with which family in Trieste?
9. Who was Joyce's younger brother?
10. What did Joyce and Nora name their son?
11. Why had Joyce and Nora not yet married?
(a) They wanted to rebel against society.
(b) Nora was not sure she loved him.
(c) Joyce did not want to get married.
(d) They didn't have the money for a wedding.
12. Joyce briefly considered a career in _______________.
13. Who was the favorite child in the Joyce family?
14. In 1912 Joyce sent Nora and Lucia on a trip to __________________.
15. Joyce wrote a review of a play written by _________________ and received a complimentary letter from the playwright himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. Joyce had a falling out with his old friend and replaced him with ____________________.
2. Why did Joyce have trouble finding housing in Trieste?
3. When was Joyce's birthday?
4. What was one of Joyce's two main goals in 1909?
5. What did Joyce consider to be life's most important relationship?
This section contains 354 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)