|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part II: Pola, Rome, Trieste.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of Joyce's brothers died young?
2. Why did Joyce have trouble finding housing in Trieste?
(a) He could not afford the rent.
(b) He and Nora were not married and she was pregnant.
(c) He wanted something close to work.
(d) He wanted a waterfront flat.
3. Joyce could not attend school in the city in #25 because the school wants the fees right away and __________________.
(a) His French is not good enough.
(b) He does not have the academic credits.
(c) He is not a French citizen.
(d) He is too young.
4. Why did Joyce eventually return home from Paris?
(a) He wanted to run for public office.
(b) He was homesick.
(c) His mother was ill.
(d) He wanted to teach in Ireland.
5. Which writer wrote to Joyce asking for some of Joyce's work to be included in an anthology?
(a) Ezra Pound.
(b) William Yeats.
(c) Henry David Thoreau.
(d) Ernest Hemingway.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what city was Joyce born?
2. Who was Joyce's boss in the city in #41?
3. Who was the publisher who agreed to print DUBLINERS?
4. Which of Joyce's sisters came to live with him in Trieste?
5. Joyce had physical problems with iritis and _________________.
This section contains 207 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)