|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part Four: Paris.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which author refused to subscribe to receive a copy of ULYSSES?
(a) Henry David Thoreau.
(b) Ezra Pound.
(c) William Yeats.
(d) George Bernard Shaw.
2. The reactions of Joyce's friends to his first drafts of ULYSSES were ___________________.
3. What word did the publisher have Joyce remove from DUBLINERS?
4. Which noted psychiatrist wrote a disparaging letter to Joyce?
(a) David A. Halperin.
(b) Sigmund Freud.
(c) Alfred Adler.
(d) Carl Jung.
5. What grant did Joyce receive to help support his family?
(a) Edinburgh Scholars grant.
(b) Civil List grant.
(c) Irish Heritage grant.
(d) Universita Italia grant.
Short Answer Questions
1. ULYSSES was translated into which language in 1929?
2. Where did Joyce spend much of his time from 1916 to 1918?
3. Whose husband committed suicide in 1929?
4. What was Joyce's typical demeanor while with his children?
5. In 1915, Joyce tried to publish _______________________ as a book rather than in excerpts.
This section contains 165 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)