|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does James find in the center of the peach?
2. What do the voices in the center of the peach say when James enters?
3. What happened to James while the peach was rolling?
4. Why do the insects feel the way they do when they see they are in the sea?
5. What extra clothing was James allowed to bring with him to his aunts' house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes the ladybug laugh when he first meets James?
2. What do the earthworm and the centipede argue about when James first meets them?
3. Why is James so surprised when he sees the Cloud Men?
4. What kind of damage does the giant peach cause as it rolls?
5. How do the aunts want to punish James just before seeing the peach in their tree?
6. What is Aunt Spiker like?
7. What does the old man tell James about the beans?
8. How do James's aunts die?
9. How does Centipede get paint stuck on him?
10. What is the first evidence of the magic caused by the beans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the magic beans affect the course of the plot, and what important cautions were given to those who used it?
Essay Topic 2
Nature is an integral theme in this book and accounts for a great deal of the changes in plot direction. What are some of the places that nature appeared, and how did it work to alter the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Laughter and happiness is a common theme found in this book. Where does this come into play, and how does it affect the characters involved in these scenes?
This section contains 1,249 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)