|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How big is the peach when James starts to climb the tree?
2. What happened to James while the peach was rolling?
3. What do the aunts want to punish James for when he spills the beans?
4. What does James do when he stops for breaks in the peach tunnel?
5. Who provides James with what he needs to save the peach from the sharks?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do James's aunts die?
2. How do the insects feel when they see they are in the ocean, and why?
3. How does James plan to rescue the peach from the danger the Centipede sees when they are in the ocean?
4. What does James help the centipede with when they first meet?
5. What do the insects tell James when he gets to the middle of the peach?
6. What does James do while the aunts use the peach to their benefit?
7. How do James's parents die?
8. Why does James come to live with his aunts?
9. What worries the Earthworm the most about being at sea?
10. What does the old man tell James about the beans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The old man introduces the theme of magic in this book. Where are some of the key places that this theme appears, and how do these events alter the plot of the book?
Essay Topic 2
The characters in this book each had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affected the characters around them.
Essay Topic 3
How do the magic beans affect the course of the plot, and what important cautions were given to those who used it?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)