|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the voices in the center of the peach say when James enters?
2. What favor does James ask of his aunts?
3. What does James do when he stops for breaks in the peach tunnel?
4. Where did James' parents die?
5. What do the beans do when they hit the ground?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does James think just before he enters the peach?
2. How do James's aunts die?
3. How does the peach break away from the tree?
4. What grave danger does the Centipede see for the peach when they are in the ocean?
5. What worries the Earthworm the most about being at sea?
6. How do the aunts want to punish James just before seeing the peach in their tree?
7. How does James get to the center of the peach?
8. What is the first evidence of the magic caused by the beans?
9. How do the aunts use the giant peach for their benefit?
10. What kind of damage does the giant peach cause as it rolls?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nature is an integral theme in this book and accounts for a great deal of the changes in plot direction. What are some of the places that nature appeared, and how did it work to alter the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Which character did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this character change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 3
What role does symbolism play in the story, and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)