|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of creatures does James find in the center of the peach?
2. How big is the peach when James starts to climb the tree?
3. Where does James go to cry when the aunts refuse his request?
4. What does James trip over before spilling the beans?
5. How many pairs of boots does the Centipede have?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does James spill the beans?
2. How does James get to the center of the peach?
3. What does James learn about glow worms on his first night in the peach?
4. How do the insects feel when they see they are in the ocean, and why?
5. What do the earthworm and the centipede argue about when James first meets them?
6. What does James help the centipede with when they first meet?
7. What grave danger does the Centipede see for the peach when they are in the ocean?
8. How does James plan to survive hunger while on the peach?
9. What does James do while the aunts use the peach to their benefit?
10. How are the beds created in the peach?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
James finds that for the first time since his parents died, there are people in his life whom he likes. List five of these people and explain what they did to earn James' sacred regard for them.
Essay Topic 2
What happens to James at the the end of the book, and what deeper meanings does this event imply? How does this one event change James' life and perspective and why do you think the author placed this scene where he did?
Essay Topic 3
What role does symbolism play in the story, and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)