|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the beans kept in?
2. What does James help the centipede with while the beds are made?
3. Where is the tunnel in the peach?
4. What color are the beans that the old man has?
5. Who calms the Earthworm down when she gets worried about being at sea?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of damage does the giant peach cause as it rolls?
2. What do the earthworm and the centipede argue about when James first meets them?
3. What does the old man tell James about the beans?
4. How does James feel while the peach is rolling?
5. How do the insects feel when they see they are in the ocean, and why?
6. What does James think just before he enters the peach?
7. How does James get to the center of the peach?
8. How does the Spider and Silk Worm help with James' plan to save the peach from the danger the Centipede found?
9. How were the beans made?
10. What is the first evidence of the magic caused by the beans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does symbolism play in the story, and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 2
Laughter and happiness is a common theme found in this book. Where does this come into play, and how does it affect the characters involved in these scenes?
Essay Topic 3
What did James do to get the peach safely away from the sharks, and how did this idea change the entire form of the journey?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)