|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does James live with his aunts?
2. Who gets the full effect of the magic beans?
3. Why are the hairs raised on James' neck when he is alone with the peach?
4. What is Aunt Sponge thinking about when she dies?
5. What does James find in the center of the peach?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is James's biggest worry after spilling the beans?
2. What worries the Earthworm the most about being at sea?
3. How does James spill the beans?
4. What does James learn about glow worms on his first night in the peach?
5. How do James's parents die?
6. What do the earthworm and the centipede argue about when James first meets them?
7. How were the beans made?
8. How do the aunts want to punish James just before seeing the peach in their tree?
9. What does James do while the aunts use the peach to their benefit?
10. Why does James come to live with his aunts?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What jobs do the insects take at the end of the book, and what led to them choosing those positions?
Essay Topic 2
What role does symbolism play in the story, and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 3
The old man introduces the theme of magic in this book. Where are some of the key places that this theme appears, and how do these events alter the plot of the book?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)