|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jem steal from Mary in Chapter 9?
(a) Her toffee.
(b) Her hairpin.
(c) A pound coin.
2. Why do Joss's men start to fight?
(a) No one will admit to killing one of them.
(b) They can't agree on how to split up the cargo.
(c) They each want to go hide out in different places.
(d) There is not enough room on the cart.
3. Where does Mary meet with Mrs. Bassat?
(a) In the library.
(b) In the study.
(c) In the drawing room.
(d) In the gazebo.
4. How many of his own men does Joss kill?
5. Where does Jem say he is heading in Chapter 18?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary tell Joss about the carriage?
2. Who does Mary trip over as she is walking up the road in Chapter 11?
3. What is the name of the vicar's housekeeper?
4. How does Mary feel at the Bassat house in Chapter 18?
5. After telling Mr. Davey what Joss had revealed, what does Mr. Davey say to Mary?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jem tell Mary when they meet on the moors in Chapter 18? What does Mary decide?
2. After leaving the vicar's house, what does Mary resolve to do?
3. After the squire looks around the inn, what does he tell Mary?
4. Who finally buys Jem's second pony? Why did he try to prevent the sale to this person?
5. Why does Joss drag Mary with him to the coast in Chapter 10?
6. When Mary arrives back at the inn how does she know Joss is still there? What does Mary find when she goes inside?
7. What does Mr. Davey tell Mary when she confides Joss's confession to him?
8. What does Mary witness when she reaches the beach in Chapter 11?
9. What does Mary discover when she awakens in Chapter 12? What is the first thing she wants to do?
10. When Mary goes to North Hill, what does Mrs. Basset tell her?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)