|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Davey say will stop Joss from causing ships to wreck?
(a) Coastal guards.
(b) Finding employment.
(c) The threat of divine judgement.
2. What does Jem assure Mary about himself in Chapter 9?
(a) That he has never killed anyone.
(b) That he has a small fortune saved.
(c) That he has never stolen.
(d) That he would kill Joss if he had to.
3. When Mary wakes in Chapter 17, what is Mr. Davey doing?
(b) Loading a pistol.
(c) Putting a gag in her mouth.
(d) Tying her up.
4. When Mary reaches her destination at the end of Chapter 13, what does she discover?
(a) The vicar is not home.
(b) She has forgotten her evidence against Joss.
(c) Everyone is at a funeral for the sailors.
(d) Joss is already there waiting for her.
5. Where does Mary find Joss when she returns to the inn in Chapter 14?
(a) In the passageway.
(b) In the stairwell.
(c) In the kitchen.
(d) In the office.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jem steal from Mary in Chapter 9?
2. How does Mary react when she sees a ship in Chapter 11?
3. What does Mr. Davey tell Mary Jem has found in Chapter 16?
4. What does Mary think when Jem doesn't return with the cart?
5. Why do the thieves burn the cart?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mary decide she will travel home in Chapter 9? Who saves her at the end of the Chapter?
2. In Chapter 9, how does Jem assure Mary?
3. Why do Joss and his men burn the carriage?
4. What does Mary tell Joss when he questions her about her trip to Launceston?
5. Who does Mary first suspect of the murders? Why could it not be this person?
6. After the squire looks around the inn, what does he tell Mary?
7. What does Mr. Davey confess to Mary over dinner in Chapter 16?
8. Why does Mary convince Joss to let her and Patience take a nap in Chapter 13?
9. What do Mary and Jem discuss when he climbs into her room in Chapter 13?
10. What trouble does Jem encounter as he tries to sell the second pony in Chapter 9?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)