|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mary feel at the Bassat house in Chapter 18?
2. What is clear to Mary about the men she is riding with in Chapter 11?
(a) They want to kill her.
(b) They want to impress her.
(c) They want to protect her.
(d) They want to take advantage of her.
3. What does Mary tell Joss about the carriage?
(a) She got it from a mysterious stranger.
(b) She hired it.
(c) She got it from Mr. Davey.
(d) She got it from squire Besset.
4. Why does Mary start snooping around the vicarage in Chapter 16?
(a) To learn more about the vicar.
(b) To look for her missing papers.
(c) To find out where Jem is hiding.
(d) To find evidence against the vicar.
5. Where is Mary instructed to wait while the inn is searched?
(a) At a tavern.
(b) In the yard.
(c) In the stable.
(d) In a carriage.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Davey tell Mary Jem has found in Chapter 16?
2. Where does Mary decide to go after leaving the vicar's house?
3. Why had Mr. Davey medicated Mary in Chapter 16?
4. Why do the thieves burn the cart?
5. Why does Mary feel the need to quickly return home in Chapter 14?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who finally buys Jem's second pony? Why did he try to prevent the sale to this person?
2. What trouble does Jem encounter as he tries to sell the second pony in Chapter 9?
3. What does Mary discover when she wakes in the carriage in Chapter 11? What does she do?
4. What does Mr. Davey confess to Mary over dinner in Chapter 16?
5. After the squire looks around the inn, what does he tell Mary?
6. Why does Joss drag Mary with him to the coast in Chapter 10?
7. Why is Mr. Davey gagging Mary when she awakes in Chapter 17?
8. What does Mary witness when she reaches the beach in Chapter 11?
9. When Mary goes downstairs in Chapter 12, how is Joss acting?
10. How does Mary feel staying at the Bassat's? What does she dream of doing?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)