|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Mary wait while Jem goes to retrieve the cart?
(a) Under the hotel awning.
(b) By the river.
(c) Beside an oak tree.
(d) At the saloon.
2. When does Mr. Davey get out of the carriage?
(a) A few yards from Jamaica Inn.
(b) At the same time Mary gets in.
(c) When the carriage reaches his house.
(d) At the turn for Altarnun.
3. What is strange about the house when Mary goes downstairs in Chapter 12?
(a) The doors and shutters are locked.
(b) There seems to have been a fire.
(c) There is a musty, bloody smell.
(d) The furniture has all been removed.
4. How far is it for Mary to walk back to Jamaica Inn?
(a) Eight miles.
(b) Fifteen miles.
(c) Three miles.
(d) Ten miles.
5. Where does Joss take Mary in Chapter 11?
(a) To the cliffs.
(b) To the coast.
(c) To the moors.
(d) To Launceston.
Short Answer Questions
1. After telling Mr. Davey what Joss had revealed, what does Mr. Davey say to Mary?
2. Who arrives at the end of Chapter 15?
3. When Mary finds him, where had Joss been stabbed?
4. Whom does Mr. Davey say Jem will discover is the killer?
5. Who does Mary intend to tell about Joss's latest activities?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mary convince Joss to let her and Patience take a nap in Chapter 13?
2. After the squire looks around the inn, what does he tell Mary?
3. Who finally buys Jem's second pony? Why did he try to prevent the sale to this person?
4. When Mary goes downstairs in Chapter 12, how is Joss acting?
5. What does Mary tell Joss when he questions her about her trip to Launceston?
6. Why does Mary snoop around the vicarage in Chapter 16? What does she find?
7. Why is Mr. Davey gagging Mary when she awakes in Chapter 17?
8. How does Mary disappoint the squire in Chapter 15?
9. How does Mary feel staying at the Bassat's? What does she dream of doing?
10. Where does Mary go to find Jem in Chapter 9? Where has he gone, and who tells Mary that information?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)