|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When she returns to the inn, how does Mary know Joss is still inside?
(a) She can see him.
(b) His horse is still there.
(c) The laundry is still on the clothes line.
(d) The can hear him shouting for her.
2. Why does Mary feel the need to quickly return home in Chapter 14?
(a) To clear her name.
(b) To stop Joss from murdering again.
(c) To collect her things.
(d) To see her aunt.
3. What does Mary beg Jem to do in Chapter 13?
(a) Let her take care of Joss.
(b) Turn Joss over to the authorities.
(c) Set Joss's horse loose.
(d) Tell Mr. Davey where Joss plans to go.
4. Where does Mary think she can stay until she saves up some money?
(a) With friends.
(b) At a workhouse.
(c) At a convent.
(d) With cousins.
5. What does the squire tell Mary after he has looked around the inn?
(a) That she is under arrest.
(b) That Joss is still alive.
(c) That Jem has been arrested.
(d) That Patience is dead.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jem say he is heading in Chapter 18?
2. How does Mary feel at the Bassat house in Chapter 18?
3. What does Mary do when she goes downstairs in Chapter 13?
4. When does Mr. Davey get out of the carriage?
5. What is the carriage ride like for Mary after Mr. Davey leaves?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mary witness when she reaches the beach in Chapter 11?
2. After leaving the vicar's house, what does Mary resolve to do?
3. Why do Joss and his men burn the carriage?
4. When Mary goes downstairs in Chapter 12, how is Joss acting?
5. Why does Mary convince Joss to let her and Patience take a nap in Chapter 13?
6. Where does Mary go to find Jem in Chapter 9? Where has he gone, and who tells Mary that information?
7. How does Mary feel staying at the Bassat's? What does she dream of doing?
8. Why do Joss's men fight after destroying the carriage?
9. In Chapter 9, how does Jem assure Mary?
10. Why does Mr. Davey insist on running away with Mary?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)