|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Mrs. Bassat, what is Squire Bassat on his way to do?
(a) Arrest Harry.
(b) Arrest Mr. Davey.
(c) Arrest Joss.
(d) Arrest Jem.
2. What does Mary lose hope of doing in Chapter 14?
(a) Finding someone willing to help her.
(b) Ever seeing Jem again.
(c) Travelling through the villages unnoticed.
(d) Returning to the inn before Joss realizes she's gone.
3. Where does Mary dream of going in Chapter 18?
4. What does Mary find at the vicarage which disturbs her?
(a) A caricature.
(b) A scrapbook.
(c) A letter.
(d) A poem.
5. When Mary leaves Jamaica in Chapter 9, what does she fail to do?
(a) Hide her letters.
(b) Have breakfast.
(c) Lock the door.
(d) Tell anyone she is going.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 10, what does Mary say when Joss asks her where she has been?
2. What is the name of the vicar's housekeeper?
3. Whom does Mr. Davey say Jem will discover is the killer?
4. In Chapter 13, what does Mary convince Joss to let them do in the afternoon?
5. Where does Mary wait while Jem goes to retrieve the cart?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mr. Davey insist on running away with Mary?
2. What does Jem tell Mary when they meet on the moors in Chapter 18? What does Mary decide?
3. What accusation does Harry make against Joss in Chapter 12? What does Joss decide to do following Harry's interruption?
4. How does Mary feel staying at the Bassat's? What does she dream of doing?
5. What trouble does Jem encounter as he tries to sell the second pony in Chapter 9?
6. After leaving the vicar's house, what does Mary resolve to do?
7. After the squire looks around the inn, what does he tell Mary?
8. What do Mary and Jem discuss when he climbs into her room in Chapter 13?
9. In Chapter 9, how does Jem assure Mary?
10. When Mary goes to North Hill, what does Mrs. Basset tell her?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)