|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Mary leaves Jamaica in Chapter 9, what does she fail to do?
(a) Tell anyone she is going.
(b) Have breakfast.
(c) Lock the door.
(d) Hide her letters.
2. What does Mary lose hope of doing in Chapter 14?
(a) Finding someone willing to help her.
(b) Returning to the inn before Joss realizes she's gone.
(c) Ever seeing Jem again.
(d) Travelling through the villages unnoticed.
3. Why had Mr. Davey medicated Mary in Chapter 16?
(a) For an infection.
(b) For a headache.
(c) For a fever.
(d) To sleep.
4. What does the squire tell Mary after he has looked around the inn?
(a) That Patience is dead.
(b) That Joss is still alive.
(c) That she is under arrest.
(d) That Jem has been arrested.
5. What is clear to Mary about the men she is riding with in Chapter 11?
(a) They want to protect her.
(b) They want to impress her.
(c) They want to kill her.
(d) They want to take advantage of her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mary intend to tell about Joss's latest activities?
2. What alerts Mary to someone being outside in Chapter 13?
3. According to Mrs. Bassat, what is Squire Bassat on his way to do?
4. Who does Mary first think is responsible for Joss's murder?
5. What does Mary think when Jem doesn't return with the cart?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mr. Davey insist on running away with Mary?
2. Why does Joss drag Mary with him to the coast in Chapter 10?
3. Why does Mary snoop around the vicarage in Chapter 16? What does she find?
4. Why do Joss and his men burn the carriage?
5. What does Mary discover when she wakes in the carriage in Chapter 11? What does she do?
6. What does Mr. Davey tell Mary when she confides Joss's confession to him?
7. Why do Joss's men fight after destroying the carriage?
8. How does Mary decide she will travel home in Chapter 9? Who saves her at the end of the Chapter?
9. When Mary goes downstairs in Chapter 12, how is Joss acting?
10. Who does Mary first suspect of the murders? Why could it not be this person?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)