|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens sooner than expected for the men Mary is with in Chapter 11?
(a) The cargo washes ashore.
(b) The lawmen arrive.
(c) The ship sinks.
(d) The sun comes up.
2. What alerts Mary to someone being outside in Chapter 13?
(a) She hears her name being called.
(b) She hears leaves rustling.
(c) A dog barks.
(d) Something hits her window.
3. Where does Jem say he is heading in Chapter 18?
4. According to Mrs. Bassat, what is Squire Bassat on his way to do?
(a) Arrest Mr. Davey.
(b) Arrest Jem.
(c) Arrest Harry.
(d) Arrest Joss.
5. How does Mary react when she sees a ship in Chapter 11?
(a) She knocks the signal light over.
(b) She curses.
(c) She screams.
(d) She faints.
Short Answer Questions
1. What disappoints the squire in Chapter 15?
2. How much does Jem get for the high-bred pony?
3. Whom does Mr. Davey say Jem will discover is the killer?
4. Where does Mary meet with Mrs. Bassat?
5. What does Harry accuse Joss of in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mary tell Joss when he questions her about her trip to Launceston?
2. How does Mary disappoint the squire in Chapter 15?
3. Why does Mary convince Joss to let her and Patience take a nap in Chapter 13?
4. Why does Mary snoop around the vicarage in Chapter 16? What does she find?
5. When Mary arrives back at the inn how does she know Joss is still there? What does Mary find when she goes inside?
6. After leaving the vicar's house, what does Mary resolve to do?
7. What do Mary and Jem discuss when he climbs into her room in Chapter 13?
8. What does Jem tell Mary when they meet on the moors in Chapter 18? What does Mary decide?
9. What does Mr. Davey tell Mary when she confides Joss's confession to him?
10. Who finally buys Jem's second pony? Why did he try to prevent the sale to this person?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)