|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mary feel at the Bassat house in Chapter 18?
2. Why does Harry come to the inn in Chapter 12?
(a) He wants to warn Joss about something.
(b) He wants to apologize to Mary.
(c) He wants to hide from the lawmen.
(d) He wants some of the cargo.
3. Where does Mary meet Jem in Chapter 9?
(a) On the moors.
(b) In Altarnun.
(c) On the road.
(d) At the post office.
4. When does Mr. Davey get out of the carriage?
(a) At the same time Mary gets in.
(b) When the carriage reaches his house.
(c) At the turn for Altarnun.
(d) A few yards from Jamaica Inn.
5. Who arrives shortly after Mary finds Joss dead?
(b) Mr. Davey.
(c) A neighbor.
(d) The squire.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mrs. Bassat, what is Squire Bassat on his way to do?
2. What does Mary find it hard to do during dinner with Mr. Davey?
3. What is the weather like as Mary is walking?
4. Who tries to buy the high-bred pony from Jem?
5. How do Joss and his friends kill the carriage driver?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Joss drag Mary with him to the coast in Chapter 10?
2. What does Mr. Davey tell Mary when she confides Joss's confession to him?
3. What happens after Jem leaves Mary to retrieve his cart in Chapter 9?
4. When Mary arrives back at the inn how does she know Joss is still there? What does Mary find when she goes inside?
5. Where does Mary go to find Jem in Chapter 9? Where has he gone, and who tells Mary that information?
6. What does Mary discover when she wakes in the carriage in Chapter 11? What does she do?
7. What does Mary discover when she awakens in Chapter 12? What is the first thing she wants to do?
8. What do Mary and Jem discuss when he climbs into her room in Chapter 13?
9. What does Mary tell Joss when he questions her about her trip to Launceston?
10. Why is Mr. Davey gagging Mary when she awakes in Chapter 17?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)