|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Joss and his friends kill the carriage driver?
(a) They shoot him.
(b) The strike him on the head.
(c) They strangle him.
(d) They cause him to have a heart attack.
2. What does Mary think when Jem doesn't return with the cart?
(a) That he has abandoned her.
(b) That he has been beaten.
(c) That he has been kidnapped.
(d) That he is off with his friends.
3. What does Mary find it hard to do during dinner with Mr. Davey?
(b) Look at him.
(c) Explain what happened the day before.
(d) Talk about Jem.
4. How many of his own men does Joss kill?
5. How does Mr. Davey attempt to misdirect the men following him?
(a) By leaving tracks which lead in the wrong direction.
(b) By throwing rocks.
(c) By heading back in the direction he came from.
(d) By setting the horses free.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mary feel at the Bassat house in Chapter 18?
2. Who arrives to help Mary at the end of Chapter 9?
3. Where does Mary meet with Mrs. Bassat?
4. What is clear to Mary about the men she is riding with in Chapter 11?
5. Where does Mary wait while Jem goes to retrieve the cart?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Joss's men fight after destroying the carriage?
2. What does Mary discover when she wakes in the carriage in Chapter 11? What does she do?
3. When Mary arrives back at the inn how does she know Joss is still there? What does Mary find when she goes inside?
4. After the squire looks around the inn, what does he tell Mary?
5. When Mary goes downstairs in Chapter 12, how is Joss acting?
6. What does Jem tell Mary when they meet on the moors in Chapter 18? What does Mary decide?
7. Why do Joss and his men burn the carriage?
8. What happens after Jem leaves Mary to retrieve his cart in Chapter 9?
9. Where does Mary go to find Jem in Chapter 9? Where has he gone, and who tells Mary that information?
10. What does Mary witness when she reaches the beach in Chapter 11?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)