|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jem assure Mary about himself in Chapter 9?
(a) That he has never stolen.
(b) That he has a small fortune saved.
(c) That he would kill Joss if he had to.
(d) That he has never killed anyone.
2. Who arrives at the end of Chapter 15?
(a) Mr. Davey.
(c) Mrs. Bessat.
(d) The vicar's housekeeper.
3. What is the purpose of the signal light Mary finds?
(a) To illuminate Joss' maps and charts.
(b) To keep ships away.
(c) To communicate with another band of thieves.
(d) To draw ships onto the rocks.
4. In Chapter 10, what does Mary say when Joss asks her where she has been?
(a) To visit an old friend.
(b) To a fair with Jem.
(c) To a service at church.
(d) To tell the squire about his illegal activities.
5. What is the name of the vicar's housekeeper?
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Mr. Davey get out of the carriage?
2. Who arrives to help Mary at the end of Chapter 9?
3. About how long does Mary wait for Jem to return?
4. When Mary wakes in Chapter 17, what is Mr. Davey doing?
5. When she returns to the inn, how does Mary know Joss is still inside?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mary disappoint the squire in Chapter 15?
2. Why is Mr. Davey gagging Mary when she awakes in Chapter 17?
3. What accusation does Harry make against Joss in Chapter 12? What does Joss decide to do following Harry's interruption?
4. What do Mary and Jem discuss when he climbs into her room in Chapter 13?
5. Why does Mary snoop around the vicarage in Chapter 16? What does she find?
6. What does Mary discover when she awakens in Chapter 12? What is the first thing she wants to do?
7. What does Mr. Davey confess to Mary over dinner in Chapter 16?
8. What happens after Jem leaves Mary to retrieve his cart in Chapter 9?
9. In Chapter 9, how does Jem assure Mary?
10. Why does Joss drag Mary with him to the coast in Chapter 10?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)