|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Harry come to the inn in Chapter 12?
(a) He wants to hide from the lawmen.
(b) He wants some of the cargo.
(c) He wants to warn Joss about something.
(d) He wants to apologize to Mary.
2. What does Mary think she can do before Joss notices she's gone in Chapter 13?
(a) Collect some food for the journey.
(b) Go visit Jem.
(c) Set the horse free.
(d) Travel to Altarnun and back.
3. Why does Mary feel the need to quickly return home in Chapter 14?
(a) To clear her name.
(b) To see her aunt.
(c) To collect her things.
(d) To stop Joss from murdering again.
4. When Mary finds him, where had Joss been stabbed?
(a) In the head.
(b) In the side.
(c) In the back.
(d) In the chest.
5. What does Jem steal from Mary in Chapter 9?
(b) A pound coin.
(c) Her toffee.
(d) Her hairpin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary explain to Jem when he enters her bedroom?
2. Why do Joss's men start to fight?
3. What does Jem assure Mary about himself in Chapter 9?
4. In Chapter 18, what kind of person does Jem tell Mary he is?
5. How much does Jem get for the high-bred pony?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Joss's men fight after destroying the carriage?
2. How does Mary feel staying at the Bassat's? What does she dream of doing?
3. What happens after Jem leaves Mary to retrieve his cart in Chapter 9?
4. Why do Joss and his men burn the carriage?
5. What does Mary witness when she reaches the beach in Chapter 11?
6. What does Mr. Davey tell Mary when she confides Joss's confession to him?
7. Who does Mary first suspect of the murders? Why could it not be this person?
8. What does Mary discover when she wakes in the carriage in Chapter 11? What does she do?
9. Why does Mary convince Joss to let her and Patience take a nap in Chapter 13?
10. What does Mr. Davey confess to Mary over dinner in Chapter 16?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)