|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the squire tell Mary after he has looked around the inn?
(a) That she is under arrest.
(b) That Jem has been arrested.
(c) That Patience is dead.
(d) That Joss is still alive.
2. What does Joss decide to do at the end of Chapter 12?
(a) Hang himself.
(b) Take a ship out to sea.
(c) Run away.
(d) Hide in his cellar.
3. Who does Mary first think is responsible for Joss's murder?
(a) One of his friends.
4. When Mary wakes in Chapter 17, what is Mr. Davey doing?
(b) Putting a gag in her mouth.
(c) Loading a pistol.
(d) Tying her up.
5. Who does Mary intend to tell about Joss's latest activities?
(a) The squire.
(c) The vicar.
(d) The press.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Joss and his friends kill the carriage driver?
2. How does Mary react when she sees a ship in Chapter 11?
3. What does Jem notice about Mary's appearance in Chapter 13?
4. Why does Mary start snooping around the vicarage in Chapter 16?
5. Who arrives at the end of Chapter 15?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Mary first suspect of the murders? Why could it not be this person?
2. Why does Mary convince Joss to let her and Patience take a nap in Chapter 13?
3. When Mary goes to North Hill, what does Mrs. Basset tell her?
4. Why do Joss's men fight after destroying the carriage?
5. Who finally buys Jem's second pony? Why did he try to prevent the sale to this person?
6. Why is Mr. Davey gagging Mary when she awakes in Chapter 17?
7. What does Mary discover when she wakes in the carriage in Chapter 11? What does she do?
8. What do Mary and Jem discuss when he climbs into her room in Chapter 13?
9. When Mary goes downstairs in Chapter 12, how is Joss acting?
10. What does Mary discover when she awakens in Chapter 12? What is the first thing she wants to do?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)