|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Mr. Davey say Jem has gone to interview?
(a) A butcher.
(b) A blacksmith.
(c) A furrier.
(d) An apothecary.
2. What does Mary explain to Jem when he enters her bedroom?
(a) Why the building smells of smoke.
(b) Where Harry is hiding.
(c) Why Patience can be heard crying.
(d) What happened to her on Christmas Eve.
3. How much does Jem get for the high-bred pony?
(a) Twice what he expected.
(b) Half what he expected.
(c) Exactly what he expected.
(d) Five times what he expected.
4. What does Jem assure Mary about himself in Chapter 9?
(a) That he has never stolen.
(b) That he has never killed anyone.
(c) That he would kill Joss if he had to.
(d) That he has a small fortune saved.
5. What does Mrs. Bassat provide for Mary in Chapter 14?
(a) A letter of reference.
(b) A pound coin.
(c) A carriage.
(d) A hot meal.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 13, what does Mary convince Joss to let them do in the afternoon?
2. What does Mr. Davey say will stop Joss from causing ships to wreck?
3. What does Mary find it hard to do during dinner with Mr. Davey?
4. Why had Mr. Davey medicated Mary in Chapter 16?
5. How do Joss and his friends kill the carriage driver?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who finally buys Jem's second pony? Why did he try to prevent the sale to this person?
2. Why does Mary snoop around the vicarage in Chapter 16? What does she find?
3. When Mary arrives back at the inn how does she know Joss is still there? What does Mary find when she goes inside?
4. When Mary goes to North Hill, what does Mrs. Basset tell her?
5. What does Mary witness when she reaches the beach in Chapter 11?
6. Where does Mary go to find Jem in Chapter 9? Where has he gone, and who tells Mary that information?
7. Why does Mary convince Joss to let her and Patience take a nap in Chapter 13?
8. After leaving the vicar's house, what does Mary resolve to do?
9. How does Mary feel staying at the Bassat's? What does she dream of doing?
10. In Chapter 9, how does Jem assure Mary?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)