|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the squire tell Mary after he has looked around the inn?
(a) That Patience is dead.
(b) That Jem has been arrested.
(c) That Joss is still alive.
(d) That she is under arrest.
2. Why does Harry come to the inn in Chapter 12?
(a) He wants to hide from the lawmen.
(b) He wants to apologize to Mary.
(c) He wants some of the cargo.
(d) He wants to warn Joss about something.
3. What alerts Mary to someone being outside in Chapter 13?
(a) She hears leaves rustling.
(b) A dog barks.
(c) She hears her name being called.
(d) Something hits her window.
4. Who does Mary trip over as she is walking up the road in Chapter 11?
(b) A dead body.
5. What does Jem steal from Mary in Chapter 9?
(b) A pound coin.
(c) Her toffee.
(d) Her hairpin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary find it hard to do during dinner with Mr. Davey?
2. Why do the thieves burn the cart?
3. What is the weather like as Mary is walking?
4. What does Mary do when she goes downstairs in Chapter 13?
5. When Mary awakes in Chapter 12, how long has she been asleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 9, how does Jem assure Mary?
2. Why do Joss and his men burn the carriage?
3. Why does Joss drag Mary with him to the coast in Chapter 10?
4. Why does Mary convince Joss to let her and Patience take a nap in Chapter 13?
5. What does Mary tell Joss when he questions her about her trip to Launceston?
6. What does Mr. Davey confess to Mary over dinner in Chapter 16?
7. What does Mr. Davey tell Mary when she confides Joss's confession to him?
8. How does Mary feel staying at the Bassat's? What does she dream of doing?
9. Why do Joss's men fight after destroying the carriage?
10. Where does Mary go to find Jem in Chapter 9? Where has he gone, and who tells Mary that information?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)