|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What family has a bad reputation in the area where Jamaica Inn is located?
(a) The Morlynn family.
(b) The Marlin family.
(c) The Mermann family.
(d) The Merlyn family.
2. What century is the novel set in?
(a) The twentieth century.
(b) The nineteenth century.
(c) The seventeenth century.
(d) The eighteenth century.
3. What event does Jem tell Mary happened at Christmas?
(a) His mother's death.
(b) His father's disappearance.
(c) The village riot.
(d) His housefire.
4. What kind of work did her family do?
(a) Pottery work.
(b) Farm work.
(c) Brick work.
(d) Textile work.
5. What would Joss sometimes do to the sailors who managed to swim to shore?
(a) Pay for their burial.
(b) Take them to the vicar to bless them.
(c) Bring them back to the inn.
(d) He would kill them.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 6, who comes to Jamaica Inn with Squire Basset?
2. In the kitchen scene in Chapter 2, what does Joss outline for Mary?
3. What causes Joss to be incoherent in Chapter 8?
4. Why does Mary allow Squire Basset to enter the house in Chapter 6?
5. How does the vicar escort Mary back to Jamaica Inn?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Mary's mother is dying, what does her mother make Mary promise? How does Mary feel about this promise?
2. How did Mary and her mother survive after the death of her father?
3. What strange things does Mary learn are taking place at Jamaica Inn?
4. What does Mary's aunt tell her when her aunt replies to Mary's letter?
5. What does Mary consider doing at the end of Chapter 5?
6. What does Mary wonder about Joss in Chapter 8?
7. How did Joss buy Jamaica Inn?
8. How do Joss and Patience react to the Squire's visit?
9. How does Mary feel on her journey to Jamaica Inn?
10. What does the driver tell Mary about Jamaica Inn?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)