|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Mary lie to protect in Chapter 6?
2. In what state is Joss when Mary returns home at the end of Chapter 7?
(a) He is giddy with excitement.
(b) He is drunk.
(c) He is hallucinating.
(d) He is feeling sick.
3. How many days is Joss incoherent for in Chapter 8?
(a) Three days.
(b) Ten days.
(c) One day.
(d) Five days.
4. How does Mary describe her aunt presently?
5. Why does Mary allow Squire Basset to enter the house in Chapter 6?
(a) She trusts Squire Basset.
(b) It is raining outside.
(c) Joss is not home.
(d) She wants him to walk into her trap.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Joss described in Chapter 2?
2. What marsh does Mary wander toward in Chapter 8?
3. What lie does Mary tell the squire in Chapter 6?
4. What does Joss warn Mary to do before she goes to bed in Chapter 4?
5. What does Mary do to stay out of Patience's and Joss's way in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mary have to do for Joss when he returns in Chapter 4?
2. Describe the relationship between Patience and Joss.
3. Who is the stranger who comes to the inn in Chapter 5?
4. Why is Mr. Davey gagging Mary when she awakes in Chapter 17?
5. What does Mary come across on the moors in Chapter 8?
6. What does Mary observe in the middle of the night in Chapter 4?
7. How does Mary feel on her journey to Jamaica Inn?
8. When Mary's mother is dying, what does her mother make Mary promise? How does Mary feel about this promise?
9. Why does Joss drag Mary with him to the coast in Chapter 10?
10. How did Mary and her mother survive after the death of her father?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)