|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many times had Mary met with Patience before Chapter 2?
(a) Five times.
(c) Three times.
2. How does Joss dispel the sailors haunting him in his dreams?
(a) He drinks.
(b) He doesn't sleep.
(c) He prays.
(d) He carves them grave stones.
3. What does Mary think of Joss's guests in Chapter 4?
(a) They are evil.
(b) They are suspicious.
(c) They are charming.
(d) They are vulgar.
4. What does Mary do to stay out of Patience's and Joss's way in Chapter 8?
(a) She sits on the porch.
(b) She goes to the river.
(c) She reads in her room.
(d) She takes long walks on the moors.
5. How does Patience feel when Squire Basset visits the inn in Chapter 6?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary begin to wonder about Jem's visit in Chapter 6?
2. Why does Mary allow Squire Basset to enter the house in Chapter 6?
3. Where is Mary traveling to in Chapter 1?
4. What does Jem plan to do on Christmas Eve?
5. In Chapter 3, what door does Mary discover is kept locked?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Joss buy Jamaica Inn?
2. How are Mary's aunt and uncle described in Chapter 2?
3. What do Joss's stories remind Mary of in Chapter 8?
4. Who is the man on horseback in Chapter 6 and 7?
5. What does Joss tell Mary about his past in Chapter 8?
6. When Mary's mother is dying, what does her mother make Mary promise? How does Mary feel about this promise?
7. What strange things does Mary learn are taking place at Jamaica Inn?
8. What does Mary consider doing at the end of Chapter 5?
9. How does Mary feel on her journey to Jamaica Inn?
10. What does Mary observe in the middle of the night in Chapter 4?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)