|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 6, who comes to Jamaica Inn with Squire Basset?
(a) Mrs. Basset.
(b) His son.
(c) An officer of the law.
(d) A servant.
2. What does Mary see in the bar after everyone has left in Chapter 4?
(a) A threatening letter.
(b) A piston.
(c) A noose.
(d) A bloodied knife.
3. In the kitchen scene in Chapter 2, what does Joss outline for Mary?
(a) His expectations of her.
(b) What she may and may not say to Patience.
(c) Where she is allowed to go.
(d) When he intends to kick her out.
4. What does Mary begin to wonder about Jem's visit in Chapter 6?
(a) Whether he had been waiting for her.
(b) Whether he had an alterior motive for coming.
(c) Whether or not it was a coincidence.
(d) Whether she acted foolishly.
5. What does Mary do after waking up late in Chapter 3?
(a) She stares out her window.
(b) She pretends to be sick.
(c) She quickly dresses.
(d) She speaks to her dead parents.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Joss, what is Mary to do one night a week?
2. Who died a few months before the beginning of the narrative?
3. What does Joss warn Mary to do before she goes to bed in Chapter 4?
4. What event does Jem tell Mary happened at Christmas?
5. What is Mary told to help Patience with in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Joss's stories remind Mary of in Chapter 8?
2. In Chapter 3, what does Mary discover about the rooms at Jamaica Inn?
3. Why does the squire leave the inn in Chapter 6?
4. What does the driver tell Mary about Jamaica Inn?
5. Who comes to the inn in Chapter 6 and why?
6. What does Mary do while Joss is away for a week in Chapter 4?
7. How does Mary feel on her journey to Jamaica Inn?
8. How did Joss buy Jamaica Inn?
9. How does Mary describe the men who come to the bar in Chapter 4?
10. In Chapter 7, how does Francis react when Mary tells him about Jamaica Inn and Joss?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)