|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mary do to stay out of Patience's and Joss's way in Chapter 8?
(a) She sits on the porch.
(b) She goes to the river.
(c) She takes long walks on the moors.
(d) She reads in her room.
2. Who died when Mary was six years old?
(a) Mary's best friend.
(b) Mary's sister.
(c) Mary's father.
(d) Mary's grandfather.
3. What does Squire Basset have with him when he comes to Jamaica Inn in Chapter 6?
(a) A warrant to search the inn.
(b) A letter from a magistrate.
(c) A lantern.
(d) A pistol.
4. Where is Mary traveling to in Chapter 1?
(c) Her hometown.
5. How does Patience feel when Squire Basset visits the inn in Chapter 6?
Short Answer Questions
1. Mary observes that the main purpose of the inn is not _____.
2. What does Mary tell the vicar in Chapter 7?
3. What is Mary's last name?
4. How are the people at the bar described in Chapter 4?
5. What does Mary try to convince herself in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Joss and Patience react to the Squire's visit?
2. In Chapter 3, what does Mary discover about the rooms at Jamaica Inn?
3. What does Mary come across on the moors in Chapter 8?
4. Who is the man on horseback in Chapter 6 and 7?
5. What does Mary consider doing at the end of Chapter 5?
6. How are Mary's aunt and uncle described in Chapter 2?
7. Describe the relationship between Patience and Joss.
8. How does Mary feel on her journey to Jamaica Inn?
9. What does Mary's aunt tell her when her aunt replies to Mary's letter?
10. How did Mary and her mother survive after the death of her father?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)