|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Joss meet with after Harry leaves in Chapter 4?
(a) A man who has been hiding in the empty rooms.
(b) A man disguised as a vicar.
(c) A man who is drunk.
(d) A man with a very deep voice.
2. What trip does Mary recall in Chapter 8?
(a) A trip to France.
(b) A trip to a village festival.
(c) A trip to the shore with her parents.
(d) A trip to Ireland.
3. What is Mary told to ignore in Chapter 2?
(a) Local men who try to talk to her.
(b) Noises in the yard during the night.
(c) Questions she is asked about Joss.
(d) The mice and insects in the house.
4. When does the driver's demeanor change in Chapter 1?
(a) At the mention of Jamaica Inn.
(b) When Mary mentions her mother.
(c) When night falls.
(d) Once Mary is the only passenger.
5. What happens while Mary is crossing the moors in Chapter 6?
(a) She gets lost.
(b) She feels sick.
(c) She encounters a flock of sheep.
(d) She trips and falls.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times had Mary met with Patience before Chapter 2?
2. What kind of house does Jem have?
3. How does Joss dispel the sailors haunting him in his dreams?
4. How does Patience feel when Squire Basset visits the inn in Chapter 6?
5. What causes Mary to go along with Jem's Christmas Eve plans?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the driver tell Mary about Jamaica Inn?
2. What does Mary wonder about Joss in Chapter 8?
3. In Chapter 3, what does Mary discover about the rooms at Jamaica Inn?
4. Where does Jem invite Mary in Chapter 8?
5. What does Mary observe in the middle of the night in Chapter 4?
6. What do Joss's stories remind Mary of in Chapter 8?
7. How does Mary describe the men who come to the bar in Chapter 4?
8. What does Mary have to do for Joss when he returns in Chapter 4?
9. What happens at the end of Chapter 6?
10. What does Mary consider doing at the end of Chapter 5?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)