|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who died when Mary was six years old?
(a) Mary's best friend.
(b) Mary's grandfather.
(c) Mary's sister.
(d) Mary's father.
2. Who does Mary lie to protect in Chapter 6?
3. What does Joss warn Mary to do before she goes to bed in Chapter 4?
(a) To keep her mouth shut.
(b) To brush her teeth.
(c) To keep away from horse thieves.
(d) To stick by her aunt's side.
4. What does Mary see in the bar after everyone has left in Chapter 4?
(a) A bloodied knife.
(b) A noose.
(c) A threatening letter.
(d) A piston.
5. According to Joss, what is Mary to do one night a week?
(a) Stay in her bedroom.
(b) Work in the bar.
(c) Keep Patience company.
(d) Dine at a friends'.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the vicar escort Mary back to Jamaica Inn?
2. Who approaches Mary at the end of Chapter 6?
3. What lie does Mary tell the squire in Chapter 6?
4. What is the name of Mary's uncle?
5. What does Jem invite Mary to do for him in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Joss tell Mary about his past in Chapter 8?
2. Why does Mary take many walks on the moors in Chapter 8?
3. When Mary's mother is dying, what does her mother make Mary promise? How does Mary feel about this promise?
4. How do Joss and Patience react to the Squire's visit?
5. How did Mary and her mother survive after the death of her father?
6. How does Mary describe the men who come to the bar in Chapter 4?
7. What instructions does Joss give Mary in Chapter 2?
8. Who comes to the inn in Chapter 6 and why?
9. What strange things does Mary learn are taking place at Jamaica Inn?
10. What does Mary come across on the moors in Chapter 8?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)