|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jem tease Mary about in Chapter 8?
(a) Wearing her best dress.
(b) Missing church services.
(c) Avoiding her family.
(d) Coming to see him alone.
2. What can't Mary help but notice about the vicar in Chapter 7?
(a) That he seems to distrust people.
(b) A duality in his personality.
(c) That she caught him glaring at her.
(d) His crippled hand.
3. What does Mary think of Joss's guests in Chapter 4?
(a) They are suspicious.
(b) They are evil.
(c) They are vulgar.
(d) They are charming.
4. What did Jem steal from Squire Bassat's farm?
(a) A cart.
(b) A pony.
(c) Metal wire.
(d) A lantern.
5. According to the driver, what do people in the area no longer do?
(a) Have parties at Jamaica Inn.
(b) Pray for Jamaica Inn.
(c) Throw eggs at Jamaica Inn.
(d) Have drinks at Jamaica Inn.
Short Answer Questions
1. What country does Mary live in?
2. What unsettles Mary in Chapter 1?
3. How does Patience care for Joss in Chapter 8?
4. In Chapter 4, what does Mary overhear a man in the bar say to Joss, after the other men have left?
5. In Chapter 5, why does Mary demand that a stranger leave the bar?
Short Essay Questions
1. What trouble does Jem encounter as he tries to sell the second pony in Chapter 9?
2. How do Joss and Patience react to the Squire's visit?
3. Where does Jem invite Mary in Chapter 8?
4. What does Mary observe in the middle of the night in Chapter 4?
5. Who is the man on horseback in Chapter 6 and 7?
6. What background information does the reader learn about Mary?
7. How are Mary's aunt and uncle described in Chapter 2?
8. When Mary goes downstairs in Chapter 12, how is Joss acting?
9. Describe the relationship between Patience and Joss.
10. In Chapter 9, how does Jem assure Mary?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)