|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Mary follow across the moors in Chapter 6?
(d) An unknown figure.
2. What does Mary do before going on walks in Chapter 4?
(a) Does household chores.
(b) Visits neighbors.
(c) Has tea.
(d) Writes in her diary.
3. What is the name of Joss's brother?
4. What does Joss talk to Mary about in Chapter 8?
(a) His criminal experiences.
(b) Running away to the north.
(c) His parents.
(d) Finding her a husband.
5. What does Mary tell the vicar in Chapter 7?
(a) Everything she knows about Jamaica Inn and Joss.
(b) What her hopes and dreams are.
(c) That she hates living at Jamaica Inn.
(d) That she thinks the moors are haunted.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who approaches Mary at the end of Chapter 6?
2. In Chapter 1, where does the driver try to dissuade Mary from going ?
3. What keeps Mary indoors in Chapter 5?
4. What does Mary's mother make her promise before the start of the novel?
5. What does Mary observe while eating a brief meal with Joss in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the relationship between Patience and Joss.
2. When Mary goes downstairs in Chapter 12, how is Joss acting?
3. What happens after Jem leaves Mary to retrieve his cart in Chapter 9?
4. What accusation does Harry make against Joss in Chapter 12? What does Joss decide to do following Harry's interruption?
5. Who finally buys Jem's second pony? Why did he try to prevent the sale to this person?
6. What does the driver tell Mary about Jamaica Inn?
7. Why do Joss's men fight after destroying the carriage?
8. Who is the man on horseback in Chapter 6 and 7?
9. In Chapter 3, what does Mary discover about the rooms at Jamaica Inn?
10. How do Joss and Patience react to the Squire's visit?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)