|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes Mary to go along with Jem's Christmas Eve plans?
(a) She feels sorry for him.
(b) Jem offers to reward her.
(c) She thinks of what Christmas Eve with Joss would be like.
(d) Jem accuses her of being afraid.
2. How does the vicar escort Mary back to Jamaica Inn?
(a) On horseback.
(b) In a carriage.
(c) In his dogcart.
(d) On foot.
3. What causes Joss to be incoherent in Chapter 8?
(a) He has a hallucination.
(b) He bumps his head.
(c) He goes on a drinking binge.
(d) He comes down with a fever.
4. What night of the week does Joss have his friends to the inn?
5. When does the driver's demeanor change in Chapter 1?
(a) When Mary mentions her mother.
(b) Once Mary is the only passenger.
(c) When night falls.
(d) At the mention of Jamaica Inn.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Patience feel when Squire Basset visits the inn in Chapter 6?
2. Mary observes that the main purpose of the inn is not _____.
3. How is Joss described in Chapter 2?
4. What keeps Mary indoors in Chapter 5?
5. According to the driver, what do people in the area no longer do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the driver tell Mary about Jamaica Inn?
2. Who comes to the inn in Chapter 6 and why?
3. Why does Mary take many walks on the moors in Chapter 8?
4. How did Joss buy Jamaica Inn?
5. What does Mary's aunt tell her when her aunt replies to Mary's letter?
6. What strange things does Mary learn are taking place at Jamaica Inn?
7. How does Mary feel on her journey to Jamaica Inn?
8. Who is the stranger who comes to the inn in Chapter 5?
9. Why does the squire leave the inn in Chapter 6?
10. What does Mary have to do for Joss when he returns in Chapter 4?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)