|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What unsettles Mary in Chapter 1?
(a) The foreign landscape.
(b) The weather.
(c) The driver's smell.
(d) The driver's incessant talking.
2. According to Mary, how does Patience behave around her husband?
(a) Like a mouse.
(b) Like a lioness.
(c) Like a bear.
(d) Like a puppy dog.
3. How had Mary remembered her aunt?
(a) As strict.
(b) As jolly.
(c) As sullen.
(d) As vivacious.
4. In Chapter 8, what does Mary say she witnessed on a trip she recalls?
(a) A shipwreck.
(b) A fire.
(c) A murder.
(d) A birth.
5. Why is Mary afraid she will have to sneak into Jamaica Inn in Chapter 7?
(a) She can't be seen in Patience's dress.
(b) It is very late.
(c) She promised she would stay in her room.
(d) Joss's friends are loitering around.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary have to be careful not to do while out walking?
2. What does Jem tease Mary about in Chapter 8?
3. Who raised Mary?
4. What marsh does Mary wander toward in Chapter 8?
5. What event does Jem tell Mary happened at Christmas?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Joss drag Mary with him to the coast in Chapter 10?
2. What trouble does Jem encounter as he tries to sell the second pony in Chapter 9?
3. When Mary arrives back at the inn how does she know Joss is still there? What does Mary find when she goes inside?
4. What does Mary have to do for Joss when he returns in Chapter 4?
5. What does Mary observe in the middle of the night in Chapter 4?
6. After the squire looks around the inn, what does he tell Mary?
7. What does Mary consider doing at the end of Chapter 5?
8. Who is the stranger who comes to the inn in Chapter 5?
9. What does Mary tell Joss when he questions her about her trip to Launceston?
10. Who comes to the inn in Chapter 6 and why?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)