Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many times had Mary met with Patience before Chapter 2?
(a) Three times.
(c) Five times.
2. Why does Mary allow Squire Basset to enter the house in Chapter 6?
(a) Joss is not home.
(b) She trusts Squire Basset.
(c) She wants him to walk into her trap.
(d) It is raining outside.
3. How is Joss described in Chapter 2?
4. How does Patience care for Joss in Chapter 8?
(a) As though he were a baby.
(b) As though he were a dog.
(c) Like a stranger.
(d) Without much care.
5. Mary observes that the main purpose of the inn is not _____.
(a) To hold village meetings.
(b) To be Joss's personal residence.
(c) To run Joss's business from.
(d) For the convenience of travelers.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 1, where does the driver try to dissuade Mary from going ?
2. What is Mary told to ignore in Chapter 2?
3. What does Mary try to convince herself in Chapter 5?
4. What does Mary discover about the guest rooms in Chapter 3?
5. At what time of day does Mary go for walks in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jem tell Mary when they meet on the moors in Chapter 18? What does Mary decide?
2. Why does Mr. Davey insist on running away with Mary?
3. What does Mary come across on the moors in Chapter 8?
4. What accusation does Harry make against Joss in Chapter 12? What does Joss decide to do following Harry's interruption?
5. Describe the relationship between Patience and Joss.
6. What happens after Jem leaves Mary to retrieve his cart in Chapter 9?
7. How did Joss buy Jamaica Inn?
8. Why does Joss drag Mary with him to the coast in Chapter 10?
9. What do Joss's stories remind Mary of in Chapter 8?
10. What does Joss tell Mary about his past in Chapter 8?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)