|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Joss's brother?
2. What does Squire Basset have with him when he comes to Jamaica Inn in Chapter 6?
(a) A warrant to search the inn.
(b) A pistol.
(c) A letter from a magistrate.
(d) A lantern.
3. What does Joss warn Mary to do before she goes to bed in Chapter 4?
(a) To stick by her aunt's side.
(b) To brush her teeth.
(c) To keep away from horse thieves.
(d) To keep her mouth shut.
4. What marsh does Mary wander toward in Chapter 8?
(a) Tregurrian Marsh.
(b) Todpool Marsh.
(c) Trewartha Marsh.
(d) Trewoon Marsh.
5. In Chapter 1, where does the driver try to dissuade Mary from going ?
(a) To her hometown.
(c) Jamaica Inn.
(d) To the moors.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes Mary to go along with Jem's Christmas Eve plans?
2. What kind of house does Jem have?
3. What does Mary do to stay out of Patience's and Joss's way in Chapter 8?
4. Who did Joss buy the inn from?
5. In what state is Joss when Mary returns home at the end of Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mary describe the men who come to the bar in Chapter 4?
2. In Chapter 3, what does Mary discover about the rooms at Jamaica Inn?
3. What does Mary have to do for Joss when he returns in Chapter 4?
4. Why does Mary take many walks on the moors in Chapter 8?
5. What does Mary observe in the middle of the night in Chapter 4?
6. Who is the man on horseback in Chapter 6 and 7?
7. What instructions does Joss give Mary in Chapter 2?
8. When Mary's mother is dying, what does her mother make Mary promise? How does Mary feel about this promise?
9. What does Mary consider doing at the end of Chapter 5?
10. How are Mary's aunt and uncle described in Chapter 2?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)