|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What can't Mary help but notice about the vicar in Chapter 7?
(a) That he seems to distrust people.
(b) His crippled hand.
(c) A duality in his personality.
(d) That she caught him glaring at her.
2. Where is Mary traveling to in Chapter 1?
(d) Her hometown.
3. What century is the novel set in?
(a) The seventeenth century.
(b) The nineteenth century.
(c) The eighteenth century.
(d) The twentieth century.
4. How does the vicar escort Mary back to Jamaica Inn?
(a) In his dogcart.
(b) In a carriage.
(c) On horseback.
(d) On foot.
5. At what time of day does Mary go for walks in Chapter 4?
(a) In the early morning.
(b) In the afternoon.
(c) Just before lunch.
(d) In the evening.
Short Answer Questions
1. What trip does Mary recall in Chapter 8?
2. What does Joss talk to Mary about in Chapter 8?
3. What keeps Mary indoors in Chapter 5?
4. Why is Mary afraid she will have to sneak into Jamaica Inn in Chapter 7?
5. What does Jem tease Mary about in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Mary and her mother survive after the death of her father?
2. What do Joss's stories remind Mary of in Chapter 8?
3. How did Joss buy Jamaica Inn?
4. What does the driver tell Mary about Jamaica Inn?
5. In Chapter 7, how does Francis react when Mary tells him about Jamaica Inn and Joss?
6. What happens at the end of Chapter 6?
7. What does Mary wonder about Joss in Chapter 8?
8. What does Mary come across on the moors in Chapter 8?
9. What instructions does Joss give Mary in Chapter 2?
10. What does Joss tell Mary about his past in Chapter 8?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)