|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Jamaica Inn located?
(a) Between Bodmin and the border.
(b) Just outside of Mary's hometown.
(c) Between Bodmin and Launceston.
(d) In Launceston.
2. What century is the novel set in?
(a) The seventeenth century.
(b) The eighteenth century.
(c) The twentieth century.
(d) The nineteenth century.
3. What does Mary think of Joss's guests in Chapter 4?
(a) They are charming.
(b) They are suspicious.
(c) They are vulgar.
(d) They are evil.
4. Who died when Mary was six years old?
(a) Mary's grandfather.
(b) Mary's sister.
(c) Mary's father.
(d) Mary's best friend.
5. in Chapter 4, how long is Joss gone from Jamaica Inn?
(a) Three days.
(b) A fortnight.
(c) Ten days.
(d) One week.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what time of day does Mary go for walks in Chapter 4?
2. What causes Mary to go along with Jem's Christmas Eve plans?
3. What does Mary's mother make her promise before the start of the novel?
4. Why does Mary feel that she can trust the vicar?
5. What does Mary do before going on walks in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mary wonder about Joss in Chapter 8?
2. Who is the stranger who comes to the inn in Chapter 5?
3. Why does the squire leave the inn in Chapter 6?
4. In Chapter 7, how does Francis react when Mary tells him about Jamaica Inn and Joss?
5. How are Mary's aunt and uncle described in Chapter 2?
6. How did Joss buy Jamaica Inn?
7. What happens at the end of Chapter 6?
8. Describe the relationship between Patience and Joss.
9. Why does Mary take many walks on the moors in Chapter 8?
10. What does Mary observe in the middle of the night in Chapter 4?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)