|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How are the people at the bar described in Chapter 4?
(a) Poor farmers.
(b) Outcasts of respectable society.
(c) The dregs of society.
(d) Respectable ladies and gentlemen.
2. What does Mary try to convince herself in Chapter 5?
(a) That her uncle is not capable of murder.
(b) That her uncle is not a bad person.
(c) That her uncle is not a thief.
(d) That her uncle is not an innocent man.
3. How many times had Mary met with Patience before Chapter 2?
(a) Five times.
(c) Three times.
4. What does Mary's mother make her promise before the start of the novel?
(a) To finish school.
(b) To sell their property and move in with her aunt.
(c) To only marry for love.
(d) To travel the world and forget about her.
5. What does Mary tell the vicar in Chapter 7?
(a) Everything she knows about Jamaica Inn and Joss.
(b) That she thinks the moors are haunted.
(c) That she hates living at Jamaica Inn.
(d) What her hopes and dreams are.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Patience feel when Squire Basset visits the inn in Chapter 6?
2. What kind of work did her family do?
3. Who does Joss meet with after Harry leaves in Chapter 4?
4. Why does Mary allow Squire Basset to enter the house in Chapter 6?
5. What trip does Mary recall in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Mary and her mother survive after the death of her father?
2. In Chapter 3, what does Mary discover about the rooms at Jamaica Inn?
3. When Mary's mother is dying, what does her mother make Mary promise? How does Mary feel about this promise?
4. How does Mary feel on her journey to Jamaica Inn?
5. In Chapter 7, how does Francis react when Mary tells him about Jamaica Inn and Joss?
6. Who is the man on horseback in Chapter 6 and 7?
7. What do Joss's stories remind Mary of in Chapter 8?
8. Why does the squire leave the inn in Chapter 6?
9. What does Mary do while Joss is away for a week in Chapter 4?
10. How are Mary's aunt and uncle described in Chapter 2?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)