|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Mary reaches her destination at the end of Chapter 13, what does she discover?
(a) Everyone is at a funeral for the sailors.
(b) She has forgotten her evidence against Joss.
(c) The vicar is not home.
(d) Joss is already there waiting for her.
2. What is the name of the vicar's housekeeper?
3. How many of his own men does Joss kill?
4. What does Jem steal from Mary in Chapter 9?
(a) A pound coin.
(b) Her toffee.
(d) Her hairpin.
5. In Chapter 18, what is in the cart Jem is toting?
(b) Ship debris.
(c) A pig.
(d) All his possessions.
6. About how long does Mary wait for Jem to return?
(a) Half and hour.
(b) Two hours.
(c) One hour.
(d) Ten minutes.
7. When Mary wakes in Chapter 17, what is Mr. Davey doing?
(b) Putting a gag in her mouth.
(c) Loading a pistol.
(d) Tying her up.
8. What does Harry accuse Joss of in Chapter 12?
(a) Taking more than his share of the cargo.
(b) Putting Mary in danger.
(c) Working for someone.
(d) Being a cold-blooded killer.
9. Who tries to buy the high-bred pony from Jem?
(a) Mr. Davey.
(b) Mrs. Bassat.
(c) The mayor.
(d) The squire.
10. When Mary finds him, where had Joss been stabbed?
(a) In the chest.
(b) In the back.
(c) In the side.
(d) In the head.
11. What does Mary find at the vicarage which disturbs her?
(a) A caricature.
(b) A scrapbook.
(c) A letter.
(d) A poem.
12. Where does Mary go to look for help after Jem disappears?
(a) The vicarage.
(b) The saloon.
(c) To a house.
(d) To the blacksmith's.
13. Whom does Mr. Davey say Jem will discover is the killer?
(a) Squire Besset.
(c) Mr. Davey.
(d) Mrs. Besset.
14. What does Mary think she can do before Joss notices she's gone in Chapter 13?
(a) Collect some food for the journey.
(b) Travel to Altarnun and back.
(c) Go visit Jem.
(d) Set the horse free.
15. What do the thieves discover when they return to the carriage?
(a) It won't hold the cargo.
(b) Its wheel is broken.
(c) There is a dead man inside it.
(d) It is stuck in the dirt.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mary dream of going in Chapter 18?
2. Why doesn't Mary let Jem into the Inn?
3. What does Mr. Davey say will stop Joss from causing ships to wreck?
4. Where does Jem say he is heading in Chapter 18?
5. What is the carriage ride like for Mary after Mr. Davey leaves?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)