|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the purpose of the signal light Mary finds?
(a) To illuminate Joss' maps and charts.
(b) To communicate with another band of thieves.
(c) To keep ships away.
(d) To draw ships onto the rocks.
2. Where does Mary find Joss when she returns to the inn in Chapter 14?
(a) In the office.
(b) In the stairwell.
(c) In the passageway.
(d) In the kitchen.
3. What do Jem and Mary attend in Chapter 9?
(a) A play.
(b) The holiday fair.
(c) A horserace.
(d) A picnic.
4. When she returns to the inn, how does Mary know Joss is still inside?
(a) The laundry is still on the clothes line.
(b) The can hear him shouting for her.
(c) His horse is still there.
(d) She can see him.
5. What does Mary think she can do before Joss notices she's gone in Chapter 13?
(a) Set the horse free.
(b) Go visit Jem.
(c) Collect some food for the journey.
(d) Travel to Altarnun and back.
6. Why does Mary feel the need to quickly return home in Chapter 14?
(a) To stop Joss from murdering again.
(b) To clear her name.
(c) To collect her things.
(d) To see her aunt.
7. When Mary reaches her destination at the end of Chapter 13, what does she discover?
(a) Joss is already there waiting for her.
(b) The vicar is not home.
(c) Everyone is at a funeral for the sailors.
(d) She has forgotten her evidence against Joss.
8. Whom does Mr. Davey say Jem has gone to interview?
(a) An apothecary.
(b) A furrier.
(c) A butcher.
(d) A blacksmith.
9. Who arrives to help Mary at the end of Chapter 9?
(a) Mr. Davey.
10. What does Mary lose hope of doing in Chapter 14?
(a) Ever seeing Jem again.
(b) Finding someone willing to help her.
(c) Travelling through the villages unnoticed.
(d) Returning to the inn before Joss realizes she's gone.
11. What does Mary do when she goes downstairs in Chapter 13?
(a) Helps Patience.
(b) Lets Harry go.
(c) Goes through the cargo for anything useful.
(d) Steals some of Joss' papers from his desk.
12. What does Jem try to convince the person who insists on buying the second pony?
(a) That it is already sold.
(b) That it is sickly.
(c) That it is not tame.
(d) That it is stolen.
13. In Chapter 12, what does Joss say he shouldn't have done?
(a) Killed his friends.
(b) Wrecked the ship on his own.
(c) Dragged Mary to the beach.
(d) Angered Jem.
14. Where does Mary decide to go after leaving the vicar's house?
(b) Trewartha Marsh.
(c) North Hill.
15. How does Mary react when she sees a ship in Chapter 11?
(a) She faints.
(b) She screams.
(c) She curses.
(d) She knocks the signal light over.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Davey say Mary will learn to do in Chapter 17?
2. What is strange about the house when Mary goes downstairs in Chapter 12?
3. Where does Mary go to look for help after Jem disappears?
4. Who arrives at the end of Chapter 15?
5. In Chapter 18, what kind of person does Jem tell Mary he is?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)