|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Mary intend to tell about Joss's latest activities?
(a) The press.
(b) The vicar.
(c) The squire.
2. When Mary wakes in Chapter 17, what is Mr. Davey doing?
(a) Putting a gag in her mouth.
(b) Loading a pistol.
(c) Tying her up.
3. What is the carriage ride like for Mary after Mr. Davey leaves?
4. In Chapter 10, what does Mary say when Joss asks her where she has been?
(a) To a service at church.
(b) To tell the squire about his illegal activities.
(c) To a fair with Jem.
(d) To visit an old friend.
5. Why does Mary feel the need to quickly return home in Chapter 14?
(a) To see her aunt.
(b) To clear her name.
(c) To collect her things.
(d) To stop Joss from murdering again.
6. Where does Mary meet Jem in Chapter 9?
(a) In Altarnun.
(b) On the moors.
(c) At the post office.
(d) On the road.
7. Why had Mr. Davey medicated Mary in Chapter 16?
(a) To sleep.
(b) For a fever.
(c) For a headache.
(d) For an infection.
8. Who does Mary first think is responsible for Joss's murder?
(b) One of his friends.
9. How far is it for Mary to walk back to Jamaica Inn?
(a) Ten miles.
(b) Fifteen miles.
(c) Eight miles.
(d) Three miles.
10. How do Joss and his friends kill the carriage driver?
(a) They cause him to have a heart attack.
(b) They shoot him.
(c) They strangle him.
(d) The strike him on the head.
11. When does Mr. Davey get out of the carriage?
(a) At the turn for Altarnun.
(b) When the carriage reaches his house.
(c) A few yards from Jamaica Inn.
(d) At the same time Mary gets in.
12. How much does Jem get for the high-bred pony?
(a) Exactly what he expected.
(b) Five times what he expected.
(c) Half what he expected.
(d) Twice what he expected.
13. Where does Jem say he is heading in Chapter 18?
14. What does Mr. Davey tell Mary Jem has found in Chapter 16?
(a) A bottle.
(b) A nail.
(c) A footprint.
(d) A hair.
15. What does Mary lose hope of doing in Chapter 14?
(a) Travelling through the villages unnoticed.
(b) Returning to the inn before Joss realizes she's gone.
(c) Ever seeing Jem again.
(d) Finding someone willing to help her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is strange about the house when Mary goes downstairs in Chapter 12?
2. Who tries to buy the high-bred pony from Jem?
3. According to Mrs. Bassat, what is Squire Bassat on his way to do?
4. What does Jem notice about Mary's appearance in Chapter 13?
5. When she returns to the inn, how does Mary know Joss is still inside?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)