|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After telling Mr. Davey what Joss had revealed, what does Mr. Davey say to Mary?
(a) Don't believe the words of an old drunk.
(b) Don't jump to conclusions.
(c) Don't trust anyone.
(d) Don't go to the authorities.
2. Where does Mary meet with Mrs. Bassat?
(a) In the study.
(b) In the drawing room.
(c) In the gazebo.
(d) In the library.
3. What does Mr. Davey give Mary in Chapter 10?
(a) A flask.
(b) A note.
(c) A cloak.
(d) A blanket.
4. What does Mary find at the vicarage which disturbs her?
(a) A caricature.
(b) A poem.
(c) A scrapbook.
(d) A letter.
5. Why do the thieves burn the cart?
(a) To send a signal.
(b) To dispose of the dead bodies.
(c) To hide their trail.
(d) To keep warm.
6. Who is Mary told Jem left with?
(a) A young lady.
(b) A group of rough looking men.
(c) A vicar.
(d) A man in a carriage.
7. Where does Mary find herself when she awakes in Chapter 11?
(a) In a roadside ditch.
(b) Locked in the carriage.
(c) In a cave.
(d) Tied up on a beach.
8. What does Jem notice about Mary's appearance in Chapter 13?
(a) Her torn dress.
(b) Her tear stained cheeks.
(c) Her injuries.
(d) Her disheveled hair.
9. What happens sooner than expected for the men Mary is with in Chapter 11?
(a) The ship sinks.
(b) The lawmen arrive.
(c) The cargo washes ashore.
(d) The sun comes up.
10. Who does Mary intend to tell about Joss's latest activities?
(a) The vicar.
(c) The press.
(d) The squire.
11. What does Mr. Davey say will stop Joss from causing ships to wreck?
(a) Finding employment.
(b) Coastal guards.
(c) The threat of divine judgement.
12. Who arrives at the end of Chapter 15?
(a) Mr. Davey.
(b) Mrs. Bessat.
(d) The vicar's housekeeper.
13. When she returns to the inn, how does Mary know Joss is still inside?
(a) The laundry is still on the clothes line.
(b) His horse is still there.
(c) The can hear him shouting for her.
(d) She can see him.
14. Where does Mary decide to go after leaving the vicar's house?
(a) Trewartha Marsh.
(c) North Hill.
15. What is the weather like as Mary is walking?
Short Answer Questions
1. When Mary wakes in Chapter 17, what is Mr. Davey doing?
2. How much does Jem get for the high-bred pony?
3. When Mary reaches her destination at the end of Chapter 13, what does she discover?
4. Where does Mary wait while Jem goes to retrieve the cart?
5. When Mary leaves Jamaica in Chapter 9, what does she fail to do?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)