|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Mr. Davey say Jem will discover is the killer?
(a) Mrs. Besset.
(b) Mr. Davey.
(c) Squire Besset.
2. Why had Mr. Davey medicated Mary in Chapter 16?
(a) For an infection.
(b) To sleep.
(c) For a fever.
(d) For a headache.
3. Where is Mary instructed to wait while the inn is searched?
(a) In a carriage.
(b) At a tavern.
(c) In the stable.
(d) In the yard.
4. Who arrives to help Mary at the end of Chapter 9?
(d) Mr. Davey.
5. Where does Mary decide to go after leaving the vicar's house?
(c) North Hill.
(d) Trewartha Marsh.
6. What does Jem steal from Mary in Chapter 9?
(a) Her toffee.
(b) A pound coin.
(d) Her hairpin.
7. Where does Joss take Mary in Chapter 11?
(a) To the moors.
(b) To the cliffs.
(c) To the coast.
(d) To Launceston.
8. What does Jem ask Mary to do in Launceston?
(a) Spend the night with him.
(b) Marry him.
(c) Steal a pony with him.
(d) Help him get to Joss.
9. How much does Jem get for the high-bred pony?
(a) Five times what he expected.
(b) Twice what he expected.
(c) Half what he expected.
(d) Exactly what he expected.
10. Where does Mary meet Jem in Chapter 9?
(a) On the moors.
(b) At the post office.
(c) In Altarnun.
(d) On the road.
11. About how long does Mary wait for Jem to return?
(a) Ten minutes.
(b) Half and hour.
(c) One hour.
(d) Two hours.
12. In Chapter 10, what does Mary say when Joss asks her where she has been?
(a) To a service at church.
(b) To visit an old friend.
(c) To tell the squire about his illegal activities.
(d) To a fair with Jem.
13. How do Joss and his friends kill the carriage driver?
(a) The strike him on the head.
(b) They shoot him.
(c) They strangle him.
(d) They cause him to have a heart attack.
14. Why do the thieves burn the cart?
(a) To send a signal.
(b) To keep warm.
(c) To hide their trail.
(d) To dispose of the dead bodies.
15. What is the carriage ride like for Mary after Mr. Davey leaves?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tries to buy the high-bred pony from Jem?
2. When Mary wakes in Chapter 17, what is Mr. Davey doing?
3. What does Jem notice about Mary's appearance in Chapter 13?
4. What state is Joss in when Mary goes downstairs in Chapter 12?
5. What does Mrs. Bassat provide for Mary in Chapter 14?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)