|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 10, what does Mary say when Joss asks her where she has been?
(a) To tell the squire about his illegal activities.
(b) To a fair with Jem.
(c) To a service at church.
(d) To visit an old friend.
2. What do Jem and Mary attend in Chapter 9?
(a) A play.
(b) The holiday fair.
(c) A horserace.
(d) A picnic.
3. Why do the thieves burn the cart?
(a) To hide their trail.
(b) To keep warm.
(c) To dispose of the dead bodies.
(d) To send a signal.
4. What does Joss decide to do at the end of Chapter 12?
(a) Hang himself.
(b) Take a ship out to sea.
(c) Hide in his cellar.
(d) Run away.
5. What do the thieves discover when they return to the carriage?
(a) Its wheel is broken.
(b) There is a dead man inside it.
(c) It won't hold the cargo.
(d) It is stuck in the dirt.
6. In Chapter 18, what is in the cart Jem is toting?
(a) A pig.
(b) All his possessions.
(c) Ship debris.
7. What does Harry accuse Joss of in Chapter 12?
(a) Being a cold-blooded killer.
(b) Putting Mary in danger.
(c) Taking more than his share of the cargo.
(d) Working for someone.
8. Where does Joss take Mary in Chapter 11?
(a) To the coast.
(b) To the moors.
(c) To Launceston.
(d) To the cliffs.
9. Where does Mary meet with Mrs. Bassat?
(a) In the gazebo.
(b) In the study.
(c) In the drawing room.
(d) In the library.
10. Where does Mary find herself when she awakes in Chapter 11?
(a) In a roadside ditch.
(b) In a cave.
(c) Locked in the carriage.
(d) Tied up on a beach.
11. How do Joss and his friends kill the carriage driver?
(a) They cause him to have a heart attack.
(b) The strike him on the head.
(c) They shoot him.
(d) They strangle him.
12. How much does Jem get for the high-bred pony?
(a) Exactly what he expected.
(b) Five times what he expected.
(c) Half what he expected.
(d) Twice what he expected.
13. In Chapter 13, what does Mary convince Joss to let them do in the afternoon?
(a) Have a picnic.
(b) Clean up the mess in the inn.
(c) Take a nap.
(d) Visit friends.
14. What does Jem notice about Mary's appearance in Chapter 13?
(a) Her tear stained cheeks.
(b) Her torn dress.
(c) Her injuries.
(d) Her disheveled hair.
15. What does Jem try to convince the person who insists on buying the second pony?
(a) That it is sickly.
(b) That it is not tame.
(c) That it is already sold.
(d) That it is stolen.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mary feel at the Bassat house in Chapter 18?
2. When Mary finds him, where had Joss been stabbed?
3. Who tries to buy the high-bred pony from Jem?
4. When she returns to the inn, how does Mary know Joss is still inside?
5. How does Mary react when she sees a ship in Chapter 11?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)