|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What state is Joss in when Mary goes downstairs in Chapter 12?
(a) He is enraged.
(b) He is frightened.
(c) He is drunk.
(d) He is giddy.
2. Why does Mary start snooping around the vicarage in Chapter 16?
(a) To learn more about the vicar.
(b) To look for her missing papers.
(c) To find out where Jem is hiding.
(d) To find evidence against the vicar.
3. According to Mrs. Bassat, what is Squire Bassat on his way to do?
(a) Arrest Harry.
(b) Arrest Jem.
(c) Arrest Mr. Davey.
(d) Arrest Joss.
4. How far is it for Mary to walk back to Jamaica Inn?
(a) Fifteen miles.
(b) Ten miles.
(c) Three miles.
(d) Eight miles.
5. What does Mary think when Jem doesn't return with the cart?
(a) That he has been beaten.
(b) That he has abandoned her.
(c) That he has been kidnapped.
(d) That he is off with his friends.
6. How much does Jem get for the high-bred pony?
(a) Five times what he expected.
(b) Exactly what he expected.
(c) Half what he expected.
(d) Twice what he expected.
7. How do Joss and his friends kill the carriage driver?
(a) The strike him on the head.
(b) They shoot him.
(c) They strangle him.
(d) They cause him to have a heart attack.
8. Why does Mary feel the need to quickly return home in Chapter 14?
(a) To collect her things.
(b) To see her aunt.
(c) To clear her name.
(d) To stop Joss from murdering again.
9. What does Mr. Davey give Mary in Chapter 10?
(a) A note.
(b) A blanket.
(c) A cloak.
(d) A flask.
10. What does Mary do when she goes downstairs in Chapter 13?
(a) Steals some of Joss' papers from his desk.
(b) Helps Patience.
(c) Lets Harry go.
(d) Goes through the cargo for anything useful.
11. When Mary finds him, where had Joss been stabbed?
(a) In the back.
(b) In the chest.
(c) In the head.
(d) In the side.
12. Where does Mary decide to go after leaving the vicar's house?
(a) Trewartha Marsh.
(b) North Hill.
13. What does Mary leave for the vicar?
(a) A book.
(c) An address.
(d) A note.
14. What does Mary find at the vicarage which disturbs her?
(a) A scrapbook.
(b) A caricature.
(c) A letter.
(d) A poem.
15. What does Mary think she can do before Joss notices she's gone in Chapter 13?
(a) Travel to Altarnun and back.
(b) Collect some food for the journey.
(c) Go visit Jem.
(d) Set the horse free.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the weather like as Mary is walking?
2. Who does Mary intend to tell about Joss's latest activities?
3. When Mary leaves Jamaica in Chapter 9, what does she fail to do?
4. Where is Mary instructed to wait while the inn is searched?
5. Where does Mary go to look for help after Jem disappears?
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)