|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After telling Mr. Davey what Joss had revealed, what does Mr. Davey say to Mary?
(a) Don't go to the authorities.
(b) Don't believe the words of an old drunk.
(c) Don't jump to conclusions.
(d) Don't trust anyone.
2. What does Mr. Davey instruct Mary to do when he appears in Chapter 16?
(a) Ask his dinner guests not to come.
(b) Tidy up the vicarage.
(c) Set dinner on the table.
(d) Change her clothes.
3. What does Mary think when Jem doesn't return with the cart?
(a) That he has been kidnapped.
(b) That he has abandoned her.
(c) That he has been beaten.
(d) That he is off with his friends.
4. What does Mary lose hope of doing in Chapter 14?
(a) Travelling through the villages unnoticed.
(b) Ever seeing Jem again.
(c) Finding someone willing to help her.
(d) Returning to the inn before Joss realizes she's gone.
5. Who arrives to help Mary at the end of Chapter 9?
(d) Mr. Davey.
6. What does Joss decide to do at the end of Chapter 12?
(a) Run away.
(b) Hide in his cellar.
(c) Hang himself.
(d) Take a ship out to sea.
7. What is the carriage ride like for Mary after Mr. Davey leaves?
8. What is strange about the house when Mary goes downstairs in Chapter 12?
(a) The furniture has all been removed.
(b) There is a musty, bloody smell.
(c) The doors and shutters are locked.
(d) There seems to have been a fire.
9. What does Mr. Davey say will stop Joss from causing ships to wreck?
(a) Finding employment.
(c) Coastal guards.
(d) The threat of divine judgement.
10. What do the thieves discover when they return to the carriage?
(a) Its wheel is broken.
(b) It won't hold the cargo.
(c) It is stuck in the dirt.
(d) There is a dead man inside it.
11. Where is Mary instructed to wait while the inn is searched?
(a) At a tavern.
(b) In a carriage.
(c) In the yard.
(d) In the stable.
12. Where does Mary go to look for help after Jem disappears?
(a) The vicarage.
(b) To a house.
(c) To the blacksmith's.
(d) The saloon.
13. What does Jem assure Mary about himself in Chapter 9?
(a) That he has never killed anyone.
(b) That he has never stolen.
(c) That he has a small fortune saved.
(d) That he would kill Joss if he had to.
14. What does Mary leave for the vicar?
(a) A note.
(b) A book.
(c) An address.
15. How far is it for Mary to walk back to Jamaica Inn?
(a) Fifteen miles.
(b) Ten miles.
(c) Three miles.
(d) Eight miles.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens sooner than expected for the men Mary is with in Chapter 11?
2. How does Mary react when she sees a ship in Chapter 11?
3. Why do Joss's men start to fight?
4. What does the squire tell Mary after he has looked around the inn?
5. When Mary leaves Jamaica in Chapter 9, what does she fail to do?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)