|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Mary reaches her destination at the end of Chapter 13, what does she discover?
(a) She has forgotten her evidence against Joss.
(b) Everyone is at a funeral for the sailors.
(c) Joss is already there waiting for her.
(d) The vicar is not home.
2. What state is Joss in when Mary goes downstairs in Chapter 12?
(a) He is frightened.
(b) He is giddy.
(c) He is enraged.
(d) He is drunk.
3. What does Mary leave for the vicar?
(a) An address.
(c) A book.
(d) A note.
4. What does Jem try to convince the person who insists on buying the second pony?
(a) That it is not tame.
(b) That it is sickly.
(c) That it is stolen.
(d) That it is already sold.
5. How much does Jem get for the high-bred pony?
(a) Five times what he expected.
(b) Half what he expected.
(c) Exactly what he expected.
(d) Twice what he expected.
6. What does Jem ask Mary to do in Launceston?
(a) Marry him.
(b) Help him get to Joss.
(c) Steal a pony with him.
(d) Spend the night with him.
7. What happens sooner than expected for the men Mary is with in Chapter 11?
(a) The sun comes up.
(b) The cargo washes ashore.
(c) The ship sinks.
(d) The lawmen arrive.
8. What does Mary explain to Jem when he enters her bedroom?
(a) Why Patience can be heard crying.
(b) Why the building smells of smoke.
(c) What happened to her on Christmas Eve.
(d) Where Harry is hiding.
9. According to Mrs. Bassat, what is Squire Bassat on his way to do?
(a) Arrest Joss.
(b) Arrest Harry.
(c) Arrest Mr. Davey.
(d) Arrest Jem.
10. Where does Mary think she can stay until she saves up some money?
(a) With cousins.
(b) At a convent.
(c) At a workhouse.
(d) With friends.
11. How do Joss and his friends kill the carriage driver?
(a) They cause him to have a heart attack.
(b) They shoot him.
(c) They strangle him.
(d) The strike him on the head.
12. Who does Mary intend to tell about Joss's latest activities?
(a) The squire.
(b) The press.
(d) The vicar.
13. About how long does Mary wait for Jem to return?
(a) One hour.
(b) Half and hour.
(c) Ten minutes.
(d) Two hours.
14. What does Jem steal from Mary in Chapter 9?
(a) A pound coin.
(b) Her toffee.
(d) Her hairpin.
15. Where does Mary see Jem in Chapter 18?
(a) On the moors.
(b) In Launceston.
(c) At Jamaica Inn.
(d) At the beach.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Harry accuse Joss of in Chapter 12?
2. What does Mary find at the vicarage which disturbs her?
3. What does Mr. Davey say will stop Joss from causing ships to wreck?
4. Where does Mary find Joss when she returns to the inn in Chapter 14?
5. When Mary leaves Jamaica in Chapter 9, what does she fail to do?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)