|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Mary decide to go after leaving the vicar's house?
(c) Trewartha Marsh.
(d) North Hill.
2. Whom does Mr. Davey say Jem has gone to interview?
(a) A furrier.
(b) An apothecary.
(c) A butcher.
(d) A blacksmith.
3. What does Mr. Davey say will stop Joss from causing ships to wreck?
(a) Finding employment.
(b) The threat of divine judgement.
(c) Coastal guards.
4. Where is Mary instructed to wait while the inn is searched?
(a) In the yard.
(b) In the stable.
(c) At a tavern.
(d) In a carriage.
5. What alerts Mary to someone being outside in Chapter 13?
(a) She hears her name being called.
(b) A dog barks.
(c) Something hits her window.
(d) She hears leaves rustling.
6. In Chapter 12, what does Joss say he shouldn't have done?
(a) Dragged Mary to the beach.
(b) Angered Jem.
(c) Wrecked the ship on his own.
(d) Killed his friends.
7. When does Mr. Davey get out of the carriage?
(a) When the carriage reaches his house.
(b) At the same time Mary gets in.
(c) A few yards from Jamaica Inn.
(d) At the turn for Altarnun.
8. What does the squire tell Mary after he has looked around the inn?
(a) That Patience is dead.
(b) That Jem has been arrested.
(c) That Joss is still alive.
(d) That she is under arrest.
9. What does Mary find it hard to do during dinner with Mr. Davey?
(a) Talk about Jem.
(b) Look at him.
(d) Explain what happened the day before.
10. How does Mr. Davey attempt to misdirect the men following him?
(a) By heading back in the direction he came from.
(b) By throwing rocks.
(c) By setting the horses free.
(d) By leaving tracks which lead in the wrong direction.
11. Why does Mary feel the need to quickly return home in Chapter 14?
(a) To collect her things.
(b) To see her aunt.
(c) To stop Joss from murdering again.
(d) To clear her name.
12. After telling Mr. Davey what Joss had revealed, what does Mr. Davey say to Mary?
(a) Don't trust anyone.
(b) Don't believe the words of an old drunk.
(c) Don't jump to conclusions.
(d) Don't go to the authorities.
13. According to Mrs. Bassat, what is Squire Bassat on his way to do?
(a) Arrest Jem.
(b) Arrest Joss.
(c) Arrest Mr. Davey.
(d) Arrest Harry.
14. Where does Mary see Jem in Chapter 18?
(a) At Jamaica Inn.
(b) On the moors.
(c) In Launceston.
(d) At the beach.
15. Why does Mary start snooping around the vicarage in Chapter 16?
(a) To learn more about the vicar.
(b) To find evidence against the vicar.
(c) To find out where Jem is hiding.
(d) To look for her missing papers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jem notice about Mary's appearance in Chapter 13?
2. Why do the thieves burn the cart?
3. What happens sooner than expected for the men Mary is with in Chapter 11?
4. How do Joss and his friends kill the carriage driver?
5. What is the name of the vicar's housekeeper?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)