|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Jem and Mary attend in Chapter 9?
(a) A picnic.
(b) A horserace.
(c) The holiday fair.
(d) A play.
2. Where does Mary decide to go after leaving the vicar's house?
(c) Trewartha Marsh.
(d) North Hill.
3. Who does Mary trip over as she is walking up the road in Chapter 11?
(a) A dead body.
4. Who arrives to help Mary at the end of Chapter 9?
(a) Mr. Davey.
5. In Chapter 18, what is in the cart Jem is toting?
(a) A pig.
(b) Ship debris.
(c) All his possessions.
6. What does Mary beg Jem to do in Chapter 13?
(a) Turn Joss over to the authorities.
(b) Set Joss's horse loose.
(c) Let her take care of Joss.
(d) Tell Mr. Davey where Joss plans to go.
7. Where does Mary see Jem in Chapter 18?
(a) At the beach.
(b) On the moors.
(c) In Launceston.
(d) At Jamaica Inn.
8. What does Harry accuse Joss of in Chapter 12?
(a) Taking more than his share of the cargo.
(b) Being a cold-blooded killer.
(c) Working for someone.
(d) Putting Mary in danger.
9. How many of his own men does Joss kill?
10. In Chapter 18, what kind of person does Jem tell Mary he is?
11. What is strange about the house when Mary goes downstairs in Chapter 12?
(a) The furniture has all been removed.
(b) There seems to have been a fire.
(c) There is a musty, bloody smell.
(d) The doors and shutters are locked.
12. Where is Mary instructed to wait while the inn is searched?
(a) At a tavern.
(b) In the yard.
(c) In the stable.
(d) In a carriage.
13. How does Mary react when she sees a ship in Chapter 11?
(a) She curses.
(b) She knocks the signal light over.
(c) She faints.
(d) She screams.
14. In Chapter 13, what does Mary convince Joss to let them do in the afternoon?
(a) Take a nap.
(b) Clean up the mess in the inn.
(c) Have a picnic.
(d) Visit friends.
15. Who is the second person Mary suspects of Joss's murder?
(b) Mr. Davey.
(c) The squire.
(d) Joss's friend.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Davey instruct Mary to do when he appears in Chapter 16?
2. Who is Mary told Jem left with?
3. What is clear to Mary about the men she is riding with in Chapter 11?
4. What does Mary leave for the vicar?
5. What does Mary explain to Jem when he enters her bedroom?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)