|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Davey say will stop Joss from causing ships to wreck?
(a) Finding employment.
(b) The threat of divine judgement.
(c) Coastal guards.
2. What does Joss decide to do at the end of Chapter 12?
(a) Hide in his cellar.
(b) Hang himself.
(c) Run away.
(d) Take a ship out to sea.
3. What is the weather like as Mary is walking?
4. Whom does Mr. Davey say Jem has gone to interview?
(a) A butcher.
(b) A blacksmith.
(c) An apothecary.
(d) A furrier.
5. Where does Mary dream of going in Chapter 18?
6. How far is it for Mary to walk back to Jamaica Inn?
(a) Three miles.
(b) Eight miles.
(c) Ten miles.
(d) Fifteen miles.
7. Where does Mary wait while Jem goes to retrieve the cart?
(a) Under the hotel awning.
(b) By the river.
(c) Beside an oak tree.
(d) At the saloon.
8. What do the thieves discover when they return to the carriage?
(a) Its wheel is broken.
(b) It is stuck in the dirt.
(c) It won't hold the cargo.
(d) There is a dead man inside it.
9. Where does Jem say he is heading in Chapter 18?
10. What does Mr. Davey instruct Mary to do when he appears in Chapter 16?
(a) Set dinner on the table.
(b) Change her clothes.
(c) Tidy up the vicarage.
(d) Ask his dinner guests not to come.
11. Why does Mary feel the need to quickly return home in Chapter 14?
(a) To collect her things.
(b) To clear her name.
(c) To see her aunt.
(d) To stop Joss from murdering again.
12. Where does Mary find Joss when she returns to the inn in Chapter 14?
(a) In the passageway.
(b) In the kitchen.
(c) In the office.
(d) In the stairwell.
13. What does Jem steal from Mary in Chapter 9?
(a) Her toffee.
(c) A pound coin.
(d) Her hairpin.
14. What does Mary do when she goes downstairs in Chapter 13?
(a) Helps Patience.
(b) Goes through the cargo for anything useful.
(c) Steals some of Joss' papers from his desk.
(d) Lets Harry go.
15. How much does Jem get for the high-bred pony?
(a) Exactly what he expected.
(b) Half what he expected.
(c) Twice what he expected.
(d) Five times what he expected.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Harry come to the inn in Chapter 12?
2. Why had Mr. Davey medicated Mary in Chapter 16?
3. What does Mr. Davey say Mary will learn to do in Chapter 17?
4. What does Mary find at the vicarage which disturbs her?
5. How does Mr. Davey attempt to misdirect the men following him?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)