|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Mary trip over as she is walking up the road in Chapter 11?
(c) A dead body.
2. Who arrives shortly after Mary finds Joss dead?
(a) Mr. Davey.
(b) A neighbor.
(d) The squire.
3. What is strange about the house when Mary goes downstairs in Chapter 12?
(a) The doors and shutters are locked.
(b) There seems to have been a fire.
(c) There is a musty, bloody smell.
(d) The furniture has all been removed.
4. What does Jem assure Mary about himself in Chapter 9?
(a) That he has never killed anyone.
(b) That he would kill Joss if he had to.
(c) That he has a small fortune saved.
(d) That he has never stolen.
5. What does Mary tell Joss about the carriage?
(a) She hired it.
(b) She got it from a mysterious stranger.
(c) She got it from Mr. Davey.
(d) She got it from squire Besset.
6. Why does Harry come to the inn in Chapter 12?
(a) He wants some of the cargo.
(b) He wants to warn Joss about something.
(c) He wants to apologize to Mary.
(d) He wants to hide from the lawmen.
7. Where does Mary wait while Jem goes to retrieve the cart?
(a) Under the hotel awning.
(b) Beside an oak tree.
(c) At the saloon.
(d) By the river.
8. What does Mary beg Jem to do in Chapter 13?
(a) Turn Joss over to the authorities.
(b) Let her take care of Joss.
(c) Set Joss's horse loose.
(d) Tell Mr. Davey where Joss plans to go.
9. Why doesn't Mary let Jem into the Inn?
(a) She is afraid of Joss.
(b) She doesn't trust Jem since he abandoned her.
(c) She knows Patience wouldn't want her to.
(d) She is locked in her room.
10. When Mary reaches her destination at the end of Chapter 13, what does she discover?
(a) Joss is already there waiting for her.
(b) The vicar is not home.
(c) She has forgotten her evidence against Joss.
(d) Everyone is at a funeral for the sailors.
11. Whom does Mr. Davey say Jem will discover is the killer?
(a) Mr. Davey.
(c) Squire Besset.
(d) Mrs. Besset.
12. What is the weather like as Mary is walking?
13. Where does Mary go to look for help after Jem disappears?
(a) The vicarage.
(b) To the blacksmith's.
(c) The saloon.
(d) To a house.
14. What does Mr. Davey give Mary in Chapter 10?
(a) A cloak.
(b) A flask.
(c) A blanket.
(d) A note.
15. In Chapter 10, what does Mary say when Joss asks her where she has been?
(a) To visit an old friend.
(b) To tell the squire about his illegal activities.
(c) To a fair with Jem.
(d) To a service at church.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary do when she goes downstairs in Chapter 13?
2. What does Mr. Davey say Mary will learn to do in Chapter 17?
3. Where does Mary think she can stay until she saves up some money?
4. Why had Mr. Davey medicated Mary in Chapter 16?
5. Whom does Mr. Davey say Jem has gone to interview?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)