|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mary tell Joss about the carriage?
(a) She got it from squire Besset.
(b) She got it from Mr. Davey.
(c) She got it from a mysterious stranger.
(d) She hired it.
2. Whom does Mr. Davey say Jem has gone to interview?
(a) An apothecary.
(b) A butcher.
(c) A blacksmith.
(d) A furrier.
3. Who arrives to help Mary at the end of Chapter 9?
(d) Mr. Davey.
4. How much does Jem get for the high-bred pony?
(a) Five times what he expected.
(b) Exactly what he expected.
(c) Half what he expected.
(d) Twice what he expected.
5. Whom does Mr. Davey say Jem will discover is the killer?
(a) Mr. Davey.
(b) Squire Besset.
(c) Mrs. Besset.
6. In Chapter 12, what does Joss say he shouldn't have done?
(a) Angered Jem.
(b) Wrecked the ship on his own.
(c) Killed his friends.
(d) Dragged Mary to the beach.
7. What does Mary beg Jem to do in Chapter 13?
(a) Let her take care of Joss.
(b) Turn Joss over to the authorities.
(c) Tell Mr. Davey where Joss plans to go.
(d) Set Joss's horse loose.
8. Where does Mary meet with Mrs. Bassat?
(a) In the drawing room.
(b) In the study.
(c) In the gazebo.
(d) In the library.
9. What does Harry accuse Joss of in Chapter 12?
(a) Taking more than his share of the cargo.
(b) Being a cold-blooded killer.
(c) Putting Mary in danger.
(d) Working for someone.
10. What does Mary find it hard to do during dinner with Mr. Davey?
(b) Explain what happened the day before.
(c) Talk about Jem.
(d) Look at him.
11. What does Mr. Davey tell Mary Jem has found in Chapter 16?
(a) A nail.
(b) A footprint.
(c) A bottle.
(d) A hair.
12. Where does Mary dream of going in Chapter 18?
13. In Chapter 10, what does Mary say when Joss asks her where she has been?
(a) To a service at church.
(b) To a fair with Jem.
(c) To tell the squire about his illegal activities.
(d) To visit an old friend.
14. What does Mrs. Bassat provide for Mary in Chapter 14?
(a) A carriage.
(b) A pound coin.
(c) A letter of reference.
(d) A hot meal.
15. What does Jem steal from Mary in Chapter 9?
(a) A pound coin.
(c) Her toffee.
(d) Her hairpin.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mary feel the need to quickly return home in Chapter 14?
2. Why doesn't Mary let Jem into the Inn?
3. What does Mary think she can do before Joss notices she's gone in Chapter 13?
4. Where does Mary decide to go after leaving the vicar's house?
5. Where does Mary see Jem in Chapter 18?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)