|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Mary wakes in Chapter 17, what is Mr. Davey doing?
(a) Putting a gag in her mouth.
(b) Tying her up.
(d) Loading a pistol.
2. About how long does Mary wait for Jem to return?
(a) One hour.
(b) Two hours.
(c) Half and hour.
(d) Ten minutes.
3. What does Mary do when she goes downstairs in Chapter 13?
(a) Lets Harry go.
(b) Helps Patience.
(c) Goes through the cargo for anything useful.
(d) Steals some of Joss' papers from his desk.
4. What alerts Mary to someone being outside in Chapter 13?
(a) Something hits her window.
(b) She hears her name being called.
(c) A dog barks.
(d) She hears leaves rustling.
5. Who does Mary trip over as she is walking up the road in Chapter 11?
(d) A dead body.
6. When she returns to the inn, how does Mary know Joss is still inside?
(a) The can hear him shouting for her.
(b) His horse is still there.
(c) She can see him.
(d) The laundry is still on the clothes line.
7. What do Jem and Mary attend in Chapter 9?
(a) A horserace.
(b) The holiday fair.
(c) A play.
(d) A picnic.
8. What does Jem steal from Mary in Chapter 9?
(a) Her toffee.
(c) A pound coin.
(d) Her hairpin.
9. In Chapter 10, what does Mary say when Joss asks her where she has been?
(a) To tell the squire about his illegal activities.
(b) To a service at church.
(c) To a fair with Jem.
(d) To visit an old friend.
10. Where does Joss take Mary in Chapter 11?
(a) To the coast.
(b) To Launceston.
(c) To the moors.
(d) To the cliffs.
11. What is the purpose of the signal light Mary finds?
(a) To illuminate Joss' maps and charts.
(b) To draw ships onto the rocks.
(c) To keep ships away.
(d) To communicate with another band of thieves.
12. Where does Mary meet with Mrs. Bassat?
(a) In the gazebo.
(b) In the library.
(c) In the drawing room.
(d) In the study.
13. Whom does Mr. Davey say Jem will discover is the killer?
(a) Mrs. Besset.
(b) Squire Besset.
(c) Mr. Davey.
14. Where does Mary go to look for help after Jem disappears?
(a) The vicarage.
(b) The saloon.
(c) To a house.
(d) To the blacksmith's.
15. When Mary finds him, where had Joss been stabbed?
(a) In the chest.
(b) In the back.
(c) In the side.
(d) In the head.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mary intend to tell about Joss's latest activities?
2. Where does Mary find Joss when she returns to the inn in Chapter 14?
3. Where does Mary dream of going in Chapter 18?
4. What does Jem assure Mary about himself in Chapter 9?
5. What does Mary find at the vicarage which disturbs her?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)