|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Mary see Jem in Chapter 18?
(a) In Launceston.
(b) At Jamaica Inn.
(c) At the beach.
(d) On the moors.
2. In Chapter 13, what does Mary convince Joss to let them do in the afternoon?
(a) Visit friends.
(b) Clean up the mess in the inn.
(c) Take a nap.
(d) Have a picnic.
3. What does Mary find at the vicarage which disturbs her?
(a) A scrapbook.
(b) A caricature.
(c) A letter.
(d) A poem.
4. Where does Mary decide to go after leaving the vicar's house?
(b) North Hill.
(d) Trewartha Marsh.
5. When Mary wakes in Chapter 17, what is Mr. Davey doing?
(b) Tying her up.
(c) Putting a gag in her mouth.
(d) Loading a pistol.
6. Where does Mary dream of going in Chapter 18?
7. What is strange about the house when Mary goes downstairs in Chapter 12?
(a) There is a musty, bloody smell.
(b) The furniture has all been removed.
(c) The doors and shutters are locked.
(d) There seems to have been a fire.
8. When Mary finds him, where had Joss been stabbed?
(a) In the back.
(b) In the chest.
(c) In the side.
(d) In the head.
9. What does Mary think she can do before Joss notices she's gone in Chapter 13?
(a) Travel to Altarnun and back.
(b) Set the horse free.
(c) Collect some food for the journey.
(d) Go visit Jem.
10. When does Mr. Davey get out of the carriage?
(a) A few yards from Jamaica Inn.
(b) When the carriage reaches his house.
(c) At the same time Mary gets in.
(d) At the turn for Altarnun.
11. What does Jem assure Mary about Joss in Chapter 9?
(a) That he would never hurt her.
(b) That he will change his ways someday.
(c) That he isn't as bad as she thinks.
(d) That someday he will hang.
12. What do the thieves discover when they return to the carriage?
(a) Its wheel is broken.
(b) It won't hold the cargo.
(c) It is stuck in the dirt.
(d) There is a dead man inside it.
13. After telling Mr. Davey what Joss had revealed, what does Mr. Davey say to Mary?
(a) Don't jump to conclusions.
(b) Don't trust anyone.
(c) Don't believe the words of an old drunk.
(d) Don't go to the authorities.
14. What does Mary find it hard to do during dinner with Mr. Davey?
(a) Look at him.
(c) Explain what happened the day before.
(d) Talk about Jem.
15. What does Mary beg Jem to do in Chapter 13?
(a) Set Joss's horse loose.
(b) Turn Joss over to the authorities.
(c) Tell Mr. Davey where Joss plans to go.
(d) Let her take care of Joss.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Davey give Mary in Chapter 10?
2. What is the name of the vicar's housekeeper?
3. What do Jem and Mary attend in Chapter 9?
4. Who tries to buy the high-bred pony from Jem?
5. Who arrives shortly after Mary finds Joss dead?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)