|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Davey say will stop Joss from causing ships to wreck?
(a) Coastal guards.
(b) The threat of divine judgement.
(c) Finding employment.
2. Where does Mary find herself when she awakes in Chapter 11?
(a) Locked in the carriage.
(b) In a roadside ditch.
(c) Tied up on a beach.
(d) In a cave.
3. Where is Mary instructed to wait while the inn is searched?
(a) At a tavern.
(b) In a carriage.
(c) In the yard.
(d) In the stable.
4. Where does Mary wait while Jem goes to retrieve the cart?
(a) Under the hotel awning.
(b) At the saloon.
(c) By the river.
(d) Beside an oak tree.
5. According to Mrs. Bassat, what is Squire Bassat on his way to do?
(a) Arrest Harry.
(b) Arrest Joss.
(c) Arrest Mr. Davey.
(d) Arrest Jem.
6. Whom does Mr. Davey say Jem has gone to interview?
(a) A butcher.
(b) A furrier.
(c) A blacksmith.
(d) An apothecary.
7. What does Harry accuse Joss of in Chapter 12?
(a) Putting Mary in danger.
(b) Being a cold-blooded killer.
(c) Taking more than his share of the cargo.
(d) Working for someone.
8. What does Mr. Davey instruct Mary to do when he appears in Chapter 16?
(a) Tidy up the vicarage.
(b) Ask his dinner guests not to come.
(c) Set dinner on the table.
(d) Change her clothes.
9. What does Joss decide to do at the end of Chapter 12?
(a) Take a ship out to sea.
(b) Hide in his cellar.
(c) Run away.
(d) Hang himself.
10. What does Mary do when she goes downstairs in Chapter 13?
(a) Goes through the cargo for anything useful.
(b) Helps Patience.
(c) Lets Harry go.
(d) Steals some of Joss' papers from his desk.
11. Who arrives to help Mary at the end of Chapter 9?
(d) Mr. Davey.
12. Why doesn't Mary let Jem into the Inn?
(a) She is locked in her room.
(b) She knows Patience wouldn't want her to.
(c) She doesn't trust Jem since he abandoned her.
(d) She is afraid of Joss.
13. Where does Mary meet Jem in Chapter 9?
(a) On the moors.
(b) On the road.
(c) At the post office.
(d) In Altarnun.
14. Who is Mary told Jem left with?
(a) A man in a carriage.
(b) A young lady.
(c) A group of rough looking men.
(d) A vicar.
15. Why does Mary start snooping around the vicarage in Chapter 16?
(a) To find out where Jem is hiding.
(b) To look for her missing papers.
(c) To find evidence against the vicar.
(d) To learn more about the vicar.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mary think she can stay until she saves up some money?
2. What is the name of the vicar's housekeeper?
3. What do Jem and Mary attend in Chapter 9?
4. When Mary leaves Jamaica in Chapter 9, what does she fail to do?
5. How does Mary feel at the Bassat house in Chapter 18?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)