|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Mary decide to go after leaving the vicar's house?
(a) Trewartha Marsh.
(d) North Hill.
2. Who is Mary told Jem left with?
(a) A man in a carriage.
(b) A vicar.
(c) A young lady.
(d) A group of rough looking men.
3. How does Mr. Davey attempt to misdirect the men following him?
(a) By setting the horses free.
(b) By leaving tracks which lead in the wrong direction.
(c) By throwing rocks.
(d) By heading back in the direction he came from.
4. Who is the second person Mary suspects of Joss's murder?
(a) Joss's friend.
(b) Mr. Davey.
(c) The squire.
5. What does Jem steal from Mary in Chapter 9?
(a) Her toffee.
(b) A pound coin.
(c) Her hairpin.
6. In Chapter 13, what does Mary convince Joss to let them do in the afternoon?
(a) Have a picnic.
(b) Take a nap.
(c) Clean up the mess in the inn.
(d) Visit friends.
7. After telling Mr. Davey what Joss had revealed, what does Mr. Davey say to Mary?
(a) Don't go to the authorities.
(b) Don't trust anyone.
(c) Don't believe the words of an old drunk.
(d) Don't jump to conclusions.
8. What does Joss decide to do at the end of Chapter 12?
(a) Take a ship out to sea.
(b) Hide in his cellar.
(c) Hang himself.
(d) Run away.
9. What does Harry accuse Joss of in Chapter 12?
(a) Working for someone.
(b) Taking more than his share of the cargo.
(c) Putting Mary in danger.
(d) Being a cold-blooded killer.
10. What do the thieves discover when they return to the carriage?
(a) Its wheel is broken.
(b) It won't hold the cargo.
(c) There is a dead man inside it.
(d) It is stuck in the dirt.
11. What disappoints the squire in Chapter 15?
(a) That no one witnessed the murders.
(b) Hearing Mary lied to him.
(c) Hearing Joss had been causing shipwrecks.
(d) Hearing Jem is a murderer.
12. Whom does Mr. Davey say Jem will discover is the killer?
(a) Mrs. Besset.
(c) Squire Besset.
(d) Mr. Davey.
13. Who does Mary first think is responsible for Joss's murder?
(b) One of his friends.
14. Why doesn't Mary let Jem into the Inn?
(a) She knows Patience wouldn't want her to.
(b) She doesn't trust Jem since he abandoned her.
(c) She is locked in her room.
(d) She is afraid of Joss.
15. Where is Mary instructed to wait while the inn is searched?
(a) In the stable.
(b) At a tavern.
(c) In a carriage.
(d) In the yard.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does Jem get for the high-bred pony?
2. When she returns to the inn, how does Mary know Joss is still inside?
3. What does Mary tell Joss about the carriage?
4. In Chapter 18, what kind of person does Jem tell Mary he is?
5. According to Mrs. Bassat, what is Squire Bassat on his way to do?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)