|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jem notice about Mary's appearance in Chapter 13?
(a) Her injuries.
(b) Her tear stained cheeks.
(c) Her disheveled hair.
(d) Her torn dress.
2. What does Mary do when she goes downstairs in Chapter 13?
(a) Lets Harry go.
(b) Helps Patience.
(c) Goes through the cargo for anything useful.
(d) Steals some of Joss' papers from his desk.
3. Who is Mary told Jem left with?
(a) A young lady.
(b) A man in a carriage.
(c) A group of rough looking men.
(d) A vicar.
4. What does Mary think when Jem doesn't return with the cart?
(a) That he has been beaten.
(b) That he is off with his friends.
(c) That he has been kidnapped.
(d) That he has abandoned her.
5. Where does Mary find herself when she awakes in Chapter 11?
(a) In a roadside ditch.
(b) Locked in the carriage.
(c) In a cave.
(d) Tied up on a beach.
6. Whom does Mr. Davey say Jem has gone to interview?
(a) A blacksmith.
(b) A furrier.
(c) A butcher.
(d) An apothecary.
7. How does Mary feel at the Bassat house in Chapter 18?
8. How do Joss and his friends kill the carriage driver?
(a) They cause him to have a heart attack.
(b) The strike him on the head.
(c) They shoot him.
(d) They strangle him.
9. When Mary awakes in Chapter 12, how long has she been asleep?
(a) Four days.
(b) One day.
(c) Two days.
(d) Five hours.
10. What does Mr. Davey say will stop Joss from causing ships to wreck?
(a) Finding employment.
(b) Coastal guards.
(c) The threat of divine judgement.
11. What does Jem try to convince the person who insists on buying the second pony?
(a) That it is already sold.
(b) That it is stolen.
(c) That it is sickly.
(d) That it is not tame.
12. Where does Mary meet Jem in Chapter 9?
(a) On the moors.
(b) In Altarnun.
(c) On the road.
(d) At the post office.
13. What does Mrs. Bassat provide for Mary in Chapter 14?
(a) A carriage.
(b) A letter of reference.
(c) A pound coin.
(d) A hot meal.
14. What does Mary tell Joss about the carriage?
(a) She hired it.
(b) She got it from Mr. Davey.
(c) She got it from squire Besset.
(d) She got it from a mysterious stranger.
15. How does Mr. Davey attempt to misdirect the men following him?
(a) By leaving tracks which lead in the wrong direction.
(b) By setting the horses free.
(c) By heading back in the direction he came from.
(d) By throwing rocks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the purpose of the signal light Mary finds?
2. What does Mary lose hope of doing in Chapter 14?
3. What does Mary find at the vicarage which disturbs her?
4. Where does Mary think she can stay until she saves up some money?
5. How much does Jem get for the high-bred pony?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)