|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mary think she can do before Joss notices she's gone in Chapter 13?
(a) Travel to Altarnun and back.
(b) Go visit Jem.
(c) Collect some food for the journey.
(d) Set the horse free.
2. When Mary wakes in Chapter 17, what is Mr. Davey doing?
(a) Loading a pistol.
(c) Tying her up.
(d) Putting a gag in her mouth.
3. Why does Mary feel the need to quickly return home in Chapter 14?
(a) To stop Joss from murdering again.
(b) To see her aunt.
(c) To collect her things.
(d) To clear her name.
4. What does Mary find at the vicarage which disturbs her?
(a) A letter.
(b) A scrapbook.
(c) A poem.
(d) A caricature.
5. What does Jem assure Mary about Joss in Chapter 9?
(a) That he would never hurt her.
(b) That he will change his ways someday.
(c) That he isn't as bad as she thinks.
(d) That someday he will hang.
6. In Chapter 10, what does Mary say when Joss asks her where she has been?
(a) To a service at church.
(b) To visit an old friend.
(c) To tell the squire about his illegal activities.
(d) To a fair with Jem.
7. How does Mary feel at the Bassat house in Chapter 18?
8. How do Joss and his friends kill the carriage driver?
(a) They shoot him.
(b) They strangle him.
(c) They cause him to have a heart attack.
(d) The strike him on the head.
9. When she returns to the inn, how does Mary know Joss is still inside?
(a) The can hear him shouting for her.
(b) The laundry is still on the clothes line.
(c) She can see him.
(d) His horse is still there.
10. What is the name of the vicar's housekeeper?
11. What is the weather like as Mary is walking?
12. What does Mary tell Joss about the carriage?
(a) She got it from a mysterious stranger.
(b) She got it from Mr. Davey.
(c) She got it from squire Besset.
(d) She hired it.
13. Who does Mary trip over as she is walking up the road in Chapter 11?
(c) A dead body.
14. What does Mr. Davey say will stop Joss from causing ships to wreck?
(a) Coastal guards.
(c) The threat of divine judgement.
(d) Finding employment.
15. Where does Mary wait while Jem goes to retrieve the cart?
(a) By the river.
(b) Under the hotel awning.
(c) At the saloon.
(d) Beside an oak tree.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joss decide to do at the end of Chapter 12?
2. What do Jem and Mary attend in Chapter 9?
3. Who is the second person Mary suspects of Joss's murder?
4. What does Mary find it hard to do during dinner with Mr. Davey?
5. When Mary leaves Jamaica in Chapter 9, what does she fail to do?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)