|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the weather like as Mary is walking?
2. In Chapter 18, what kind of person does Jem tell Mary he is?
3. What does Joss decide to do at the end of Chapter 12?
(a) Run away.
(b) Take a ship out to sea.
(c) Hang himself.
(d) Hide in his cellar.
4. What does Mary do when she goes downstairs in Chapter 13?
(a) Lets Harry go.
(b) Goes through the cargo for anything useful.
(c) Steals some of Joss' papers from his desk.
(d) Helps Patience.
5. According to Mrs. Bassat, what is Squire Bassat on his way to do?
(a) Arrest Jem.
(b) Arrest Mr. Davey.
(c) Arrest Harry.
(d) Arrest Joss.
6. What does the squire tell Mary after he has looked around the inn?
(a) That Patience is dead.
(b) That Joss is still alive.
(c) That she is under arrest.
(d) That Jem has been arrested.
7. What does Mr. Davey give Mary in Chapter 10?
(a) A cloak.
(b) A note.
(c) A flask.
(d) A blanket.
8. Who is Mary told Jem left with?
(a) A group of rough looking men.
(b) A young lady.
(c) A man in a carriage.
(d) A vicar.
9. Why do the thieves burn the cart?
(a) To hide their trail.
(b) To send a signal.
(c) To keep warm.
(d) To dispose of the dead bodies.
10. In Chapter 18, what is in the cart Jem is toting?
(b) A pig.
(c) Ship debris.
(d) All his possessions.
11. What does Mary find at the vicarage which disturbs her?
(a) A caricature.
(b) A letter.
(c) A poem.
(d) A scrapbook.
12. Where does Mary dream of going in Chapter 18?
13. Why do Joss's men start to fight?
(a) No one will admit to killing one of them.
(b) There is not enough room on the cart.
(c) They each want to go hide out in different places.
(d) They can't agree on how to split up the cargo.
14. Where does Mary meet Jem in Chapter 9?
(a) On the road.
(b) In Altarnun.
(c) On the moors.
(d) At the post office.
15. Where does Mary decide to go after leaving the vicar's house?
(a) Trewartha Marsh.
(c) North Hill.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Mary finds him, where had Joss been stabbed?
2. Where does Mary see Jem in Chapter 18?
3. What is the name of the vicar's housekeeper?
4. When Mary wakes in Chapter 17, what is Mr. Davey doing?
5. When Mary reaches her destination at the end of Chapter 13, what does she discover?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)