|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Mary wakes in Chapter 17, what is Mr. Davey doing?
(a) Loading a pistol.
(c) Putting a gag in her mouth.
(d) Tying her up.
2. Why does Mary feel the need to quickly return home in Chapter 14?
(a) To stop Joss from murdering again.
(b) To collect her things.
(c) To see her aunt.
(d) To clear her name.
3. When Mary leaves Jamaica in Chapter 9, what does she fail to do?
(a) Have breakfast.
(b) Hide her letters.
(c) Lock the door.
(d) Tell anyone she is going.
4. Where does Mary go to look for help after Jem disappears?
(a) The saloon.
(b) To the blacksmith's.
(c) The vicarage.
(d) To a house.
5. Where does Mary meet with Mrs. Bassat?
(a) In the library.
(b) In the gazebo.
(c) In the study.
(d) In the drawing room.
6. How do Joss and his friends kill the carriage driver?
(a) They shoot him.
(b) They cause him to have a heart attack.
(c) They strangle him.
(d) The strike him on the head.
7. What is the carriage ride like for Mary after Mr. Davey leaves?
8. Why do Joss's men start to fight?
(a) They each want to go hide out in different places.
(b) There is not enough room on the cart.
(c) No one will admit to killing one of them.
(d) They can't agree on how to split up the cargo.
9. What do the thieves discover when they return to the carriage?
(a) It won't hold the cargo.
(b) There is a dead man inside it.
(c) It is stuck in the dirt.
(d) Its wheel is broken.
10. How does Mary react when she sees a ship in Chapter 11?
(a) She screams.
(b) She knocks the signal light over.
(c) She curses.
(d) She faints.
11. Why had Mr. Davey medicated Mary in Chapter 16?
(a) For a fever.
(b) For a headache.
(c) For an infection.
(d) To sleep.
12. Who arrives at the end of Chapter 15?
(a) The vicar's housekeeper.
(b) Mrs. Bessat.
(c) Mr. Davey.
13. What does Jem ask Mary to do in Launceston?
(a) Spend the night with him.
(b) Help him get to Joss.
(c) Marry him.
(d) Steal a pony with him.
14. Whom does Mr. Davey say Jem has gone to interview?
(a) An apothecary.
(b) A furrier.
(c) A blacksmith.
(d) A butcher.
15. What does Mr. Davey tell Mary Jem has found in Chapter 16?
(a) A bottle.
(b) A footprint.
(c) A hair.
(d) A nail.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mary dream of going in Chapter 18?
2. Where does Mary see Jem in Chapter 18?
3. When she returns to the inn, how does Mary know Joss is still inside?
4. Whom does Mr. Davey say Jem will discover is the killer?
5. Where does Mary find herself when she awakes in Chapter 11?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)