|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the squire tell Mary after he has looked around the inn?
(a) That Jem has been arrested.
(b) That Joss is still alive.
(c) That Patience is dead.
(d) That she is under arrest.
2. Why does Mary feel the need to quickly return home in Chapter 14?
(a) To collect her things.
(b) To stop Joss from murdering again.
(c) To clear her name.
(d) To see her aunt.
3. Where does Mary wait while Jem goes to retrieve the cart?
(a) By the river.
(b) Beside an oak tree.
(c) Under the hotel awning.
(d) At the saloon.
4. What is clear to Mary about the men she is riding with in Chapter 11?
(a) They want to protect her.
(b) They want to impress her.
(c) They want to take advantage of her.
(d) They want to kill her.
5. When Mary finds him, where had Joss been stabbed?
(a) In the side.
(b) In the chest.
(c) In the back.
(d) In the head.
6. Who does Mary intend to tell about Joss's latest activities?
(a) The squire.
(b) The vicar.
(c) The press.
7. What does Mr. Davey tell Mary Jem has found in Chapter 16?
(a) A footprint.
(b) A hair.
(c) A nail.
(d) A bottle.
8. Why do the thieves burn the cart?
(a) To keep warm.
(b) To dispose of the dead bodies.
(c) To hide their trail.
(d) To send a signal.
9. About how long does Mary wait for Jem to return?
(a) Half and hour.
(b) Two hours.
(c) Ten minutes.
(d) One hour.
10. Whom does Mr. Davey say Jem has gone to interview?
(a) A butcher.
(b) An apothecary.
(c) A blacksmith.
(d) A furrier.
11. After telling Mr. Davey what Joss had revealed, what does Mr. Davey say to Mary?
(a) Don't trust anyone.
(b) Don't jump to conclusions.
(c) Don't go to the authorities.
(d) Don't believe the words of an old drunk.
12. What does Mary leave for the vicar?
(a) A book.
(c) A note.
(d) An address.
13. How many of his own men does Joss kill?
14. What does Joss decide to do at the end of Chapter 12?
(a) Hang himself.
(b) Take a ship out to sea.
(c) Run away.
(d) Hide in his cellar.
15. Why does Harry come to the inn in Chapter 12?
(a) He wants to warn Joss about something.
(b) He wants to apologize to Mary.
(c) He wants to hide from the lawmen.
(d) He wants some of the cargo.
Short Answer Questions
1. What state is Joss in when Mary goes downstairs in Chapter 12?
2. Who arrives shortly after Mary finds Joss dead?
3. Where does Mary meet Jem in Chapter 9?
4. What is the weather like as Mary is walking?
5. Where does Mary decide to go after leaving the vicar's house?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)