|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who arrives at the end of Chapter 15?
(a) Mrs. Bessat.
(b) Mr. Davey.
(c) The vicar's housekeeper.
2. What is the purpose of the signal light Mary finds?
(a) To illuminate Joss' maps and charts.
(b) To communicate with another band of thieves.
(c) To draw ships onto the rocks.
(d) To keep ships away.
3. Why doesn't Mary let Jem into the Inn?
(a) She knows Patience wouldn't want her to.
(b) She is afraid of Joss.
(c) She doesn't trust Jem since he abandoned her.
(d) She is locked in her room.
4. Where does Mary go to look for help after Jem disappears?
(a) The saloon.
(b) To the blacksmith's.
(c) The vicarage.
(d) To a house.
5. About how long does Mary wait for Jem to return?
(a) One hour.
(b) Ten minutes.
(c) Half and hour.
(d) Two hours.
6. Where does Joss take Mary in Chapter 11?
(a) To the cliffs.
(b) To the coast.
(c) To the moors.
(d) To Launceston.
7. Where does Mary find Joss when she returns to the inn in Chapter 14?
(a) In the kitchen.
(b) In the passageway.
(c) In the office.
(d) In the stairwell.
8. What is the name of the vicar's housekeeper?
9. What does Mary leave for the vicar?
(a) A book.
(b) A note.
(d) An address.
10. What is clear to Mary about the men she is riding with in Chapter 11?
(a) They want to kill her.
(b) They want to take advantage of her.
(c) They want to impress her.
(d) They want to protect her.
11. Who does Mary intend to tell about Joss's latest activities?
(a) The press.
(b) The squire.
(d) The vicar.
12. What is strange about the house when Mary goes downstairs in Chapter 12?
(a) There is a musty, bloody smell.
(b) The furniture has all been removed.
(c) There seems to have been a fire.
(d) The doors and shutters are locked.
13. What does Mary lose hope of doing in Chapter 14?
(a) Returning to the inn before Joss realizes she's gone.
(b) Travelling through the villages unnoticed.
(c) Finding someone willing to help her.
(d) Ever seeing Jem again.
14. What does Jem notice about Mary's appearance in Chapter 13?
(a) Her torn dress.
(b) Her tear stained cheeks.
(c) Her disheveled hair.
(d) Her injuries.
15. In Chapter 18, what is in the cart Jem is toting?
(a) Ship debris.
(b) All his possessions.
(d) A pig.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the thieves discover when they return to the carriage?
2. Who arrives shortly after Mary finds Joss dead?
3. What disappoints the squire in Chapter 15?
4. In Chapter 12, what does Joss say he shouldn't have done?
5. Whom does Mr. Davey say Jem will discover is the killer?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)