|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Mary wakes in Chapter 17, what is Mr. Davey doing?
(a) Loading a pistol.
(b) Tying her up.
(c) Putting a gag in her mouth.
2. What happens sooner than expected for the men Mary is with in Chapter 11?
(a) The ship sinks.
(b) The cargo washes ashore.
(c) The sun comes up.
(d) The lawmen arrive.
3. About how long does Mary wait for Jem to return?
(a) Two hours.
(b) Ten minutes.
(c) One hour.
(d) Half and hour.
4. When does Mr. Davey get out of the carriage?
(a) At the turn for Altarnun.
(b) When the carriage reaches his house.
(c) A few yards from Jamaica Inn.
(d) At the same time Mary gets in.
5. What does Jem assure Mary about Joss in Chapter 9?
(a) That he isn't as bad as she thinks.
(b) That he will change his ways someday.
(c) That someday he will hang.
(d) That he would never hurt her.
6. What does Jem ask Mary to do in Launceston?
(a) Steal a pony with him.
(b) Help him get to Joss.
(c) Spend the night with him.
(d) Marry him.
7. How does Mr. Davey attempt to misdirect the men following him?
(a) By leaving tracks which lead in the wrong direction.
(b) By throwing rocks.
(c) By heading back in the direction he came from.
(d) By setting the horses free.
8. Who is Mary told Jem left with?
(a) A young lady.
(b) A vicar.
(c) A man in a carriage.
(d) A group of rough looking men.
9. Where does Mary wait while Jem goes to retrieve the cart?
(a) Under the hotel awning.
(b) Beside an oak tree.
(c) By the river.
(d) At the saloon.
10. What is clear to Mary about the men she is riding with in Chapter 11?
(a) They want to take advantage of her.
(b) They want to impress her.
(c) They want to protect her.
(d) They want to kill her.
11. In Chapter 18, what is in the cart Jem is toting?
(a) Ship debris.
(b) All his possessions.
(c) A pig.
12. Who arrives at the end of Chapter 15?
(a) Mrs. Bessat.
(b) The vicar's housekeeper.
(c) Mr. Davey.
13. In Chapter 12, what does Joss say he shouldn't have done?
(a) Killed his friends.
(b) Dragged Mary to the beach.
(c) Wrecked the ship on his own.
(d) Angered Jem.
14. What does Mary find it hard to do during dinner with Mr. Davey?
(a) Talk about Jem.
(c) Look at him.
(d) Explain what happened the day before.
15. What does Mary explain to Jem when he enters her bedroom?
(a) Why the building smells of smoke.
(b) Where Harry is hiding.
(c) What happened to her on Christmas Eve.
(d) Why Patience can be heard crying.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Joss take Mary in Chapter 11?
2. What alerts Mary to someone being outside in Chapter 13?
3. What does Jem try to convince the person who insists on buying the second pony?
4. Why do Joss's men start to fight?
5. What does Mary do when she goes downstairs in Chapter 13?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)