|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mary think she can do before Joss notices she's gone in Chapter 13?
(a) Go visit Jem.
(b) Collect some food for the journey.
(c) Set the horse free.
(d) Travel to Altarnun and back.
2. In Chapter 18, what is in the cart Jem is toting?
(a) All his possessions.
(b) Ship debris.
(d) A pig.
3. Whom does Mr. Davey say Jem will discover is the killer?
(a) Mrs. Besset.
(c) Mr. Davey.
(d) Squire Besset.
4. What does Mary do when she goes downstairs in Chapter 13?
(a) Goes through the cargo for anything useful.
(b) Lets Harry go.
(c) Steals some of Joss' papers from his desk.
(d) Helps Patience.
5. How many of his own men does Joss kill?
6. What disappoints the squire in Chapter 15?
(a) Hearing Mary lied to him.
(b) Hearing Jem is a murderer.
(c) That no one witnessed the murders.
(d) Hearing Joss had been causing shipwrecks.
7. What does Mary beg Jem to do in Chapter 13?
(a) Let her take care of Joss.
(b) Tell Mr. Davey where Joss plans to go.
(c) Turn Joss over to the authorities.
(d) Set Joss's horse loose.
8. Who arrives to help Mary at the end of Chapter 9?
(d) Mr. Davey.
9. Who does Mary trip over as she is walking up the road in Chapter 11?
(b) A dead body.
10. When Mary awakes in Chapter 12, how long has she been asleep?
(a) Four days.
(b) One day.
(c) Two days.
(d) Five hours.
11. According to Mrs. Bassat, what is Squire Bassat on his way to do?
(a) Arrest Joss.
(b) Arrest Harry.
(c) Arrest Mr. Davey.
(d) Arrest Jem.
12. Why doesn't Mary let Jem into the Inn?
(a) She is afraid of Joss.
(b) She knows Patience wouldn't want her to.
(c) She is locked in her room.
(d) She doesn't trust Jem since he abandoned her.
13. Where does Mary wait while Jem goes to retrieve the cart?
(a) At the saloon.
(b) Under the hotel awning.
(c) Beside an oak tree.
(d) By the river.
14. How far is it for Mary to walk back to Jamaica Inn?
(a) Ten miles.
(b) Fifteen miles.
(c) Eight miles.
(d) Three miles.
15. When Mary wakes in Chapter 17, what is Mr. Davey doing?
(a) Tying her up.
(b) Loading a pistol.
(c) Putting a gag in her mouth.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Bassat provide for Mary in Chapter 14?
2. Who tries to buy the high-bred pony from Jem?
3. When does Mr. Davey get out of the carriage?
4. What do the thieves discover when they return to the carriage?
5. What does Mr. Davey say will stop Joss from causing ships to wreck?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)