|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After telling Mr. Davey what Joss had revealed, what does Mr. Davey say to Mary?
(a) Don't believe the words of an old drunk.
(b) Don't trust anyone.
(c) Don't go to the authorities.
(d) Don't jump to conclusions.
2. Who is the second person Mary suspects of Joss's murder?
(b) Mr. Davey.
(c) The squire.
(d) Joss's friend.
3. Who does Mary trip over as she is walking up the road in Chapter 11?
(b) A dead body.
4. What does Mr. Davey tell Mary Jem has found in Chapter 16?
(a) A bottle.
(b) A hair.
(c) A nail.
(d) A footprint.
5. Whom does Mr. Davey say Jem will discover is the killer?
(a) Mr. Davey.
(b) Mrs. Besset.
(c) Squire Besset.
6. What does Mr. Davey instruct Mary to do when he appears in Chapter 16?
(a) Set dinner on the table.
(b) Change her clothes.
(c) Ask his dinner guests not to come.
(d) Tidy up the vicarage.
7. Who does Mary intend to tell about Joss's latest activities?
(a) The press.
(c) The vicar.
(d) The squire.
8. When Mary reaches her destination at the end of Chapter 13, what does she discover?
(a) She has forgotten her evidence against Joss.
(b) The vicar is not home.
(c) Joss is already there waiting for her.
(d) Everyone is at a funeral for the sailors.
9. Who is Mary told Jem left with?
(a) A vicar.
(b) A group of rough looking men.
(c) A man in a carriage.
(d) A young lady.
10. What does Mary beg Jem to do in Chapter 13?
(a) Turn Joss over to the authorities.
(b) Tell Mr. Davey where Joss plans to go.
(c) Set Joss's horse loose.
(d) Let her take care of Joss.
11. What disappoints the squire in Chapter 15?
(a) Hearing Joss had been causing shipwrecks.
(b) Hearing Jem is a murderer.
(c) Hearing Mary lied to him.
(d) That no one witnessed the murders.
12. In Chapter 13, what does Mary convince Joss to let them do in the afternoon?
(a) Visit friends.
(b) Have a picnic.
(c) Clean up the mess in the inn.
(d) Take a nap.
13. How many of his own men does Joss kill?
14. Where does Mary meet Jem in Chapter 9?
(a) On the road.
(b) On the moors.
(c) At the post office.
(d) In Altarnun.
15. What does Harry accuse Joss of in Chapter 12?
(a) Putting Mary in danger.
(b) Being a cold-blooded killer.
(c) Taking more than his share of the cargo.
(d) Working for someone.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mary find Joss when she returns to the inn in Chapter 14?
2. What does Jem try to convince the person who insists on buying the second pony?
3. Where does Mary find herself when she awakes in Chapter 11?
4. Where is Mary instructed to wait while the inn is searched?
5. What does Mary find at the vicarage which disturbs her?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)