|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Harry accuse Joss of in Chapter 12?
(a) Taking more than his share of the cargo.
(b) Putting Mary in danger.
(c) Being a cold-blooded killer.
(d) Working for someone.
2. Why doesn't Mary let Jem into the Inn?
(a) She is locked in her room.
(b) She is afraid of Joss.
(c) She doesn't trust Jem since he abandoned her.
(d) She knows Patience wouldn't want her to.
3. Why does Mary feel the need to quickly return home in Chapter 14?
(a) To collect her things.
(b) To see her aunt.
(c) To stop Joss from murdering again.
(d) To clear her name.
4. What do the thieves discover when they return to the carriage?
(a) There is a dead man inside it.
(b) Its wheel is broken.
(c) It is stuck in the dirt.
(d) It won't hold the cargo.
5. What does the squire tell Mary after he has looked around the inn?
(a) That Joss is still alive.
(b) That Patience is dead.
(c) That Jem has been arrested.
(d) That she is under arrest.
6. When Mary wakes in Chapter 17, what is Mr. Davey doing?
(a) Tying her up.
(c) Putting a gag in her mouth.
(d) Loading a pistol.
7. Who tries to buy the high-bred pony from Jem?
(a) The mayor.
(b) Mr. Davey.
(c) Mrs. Bassat.
(d) The squire.
8. When Mary leaves Jamaica in Chapter 9, what does she fail to do?
(a) Have breakfast.
(b) Hide her letters.
(c) Tell anyone she is going.
(d) Lock the door.
9. Who does Mary first think is responsible for Joss's murder?
(a) One of his friends.
10. About how long does Mary wait for Jem to return?
(a) Ten minutes.
(b) Two hours.
(c) Half and hour.
(d) One hour.
11. Whom does Mr. Davey say Jem has gone to interview?
(a) A butcher.
(b) An apothecary.
(c) A blacksmith.
(d) A furrier.
12. How does Mr. Davey attempt to misdirect the men following him?
(a) By heading back in the direction he came from.
(b) By setting the horses free.
(c) By throwing rocks.
(d) By leaving tracks which lead in the wrong direction.
13. Why does Mary start snooping around the vicarage in Chapter 16?
(a) To learn more about the vicar.
(b) To look for her missing papers.
(c) To find evidence against the vicar.
(d) To find out where Jem is hiding.
14. What does Mr. Davey give Mary in Chapter 10?
(a) A flask.
(b) A blanket.
(c) A note.
(d) A cloak.
15. What does Mr. Davey tell Mary Jem has found in Chapter 16?
(a) A hair.
(b) A footprint.
(c) A bottle.
(d) A nail.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the second person Mary suspects of Joss's murder?
2. What does Mary beg Jem to do in Chapter 13?
3. Where does Mary decide to go after leaving the vicar's house?
4. What does Mary leave for the vicar?
5. What does Mary find it hard to do during dinner with Mr. Davey?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)