|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mary Kathleen calls the men who've helped Starbuck "_____."
2. What does Mary Kathleen not remember?
3. Why does Clewes leave the reunion?
4. Starbuck thinks fifty year old harps belong in a ______ or a museum.
5. Starbuck is forgotten in the police precinct for ________.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how "The Sermon on the Mount" applies to "Jailbird."
Essay Topic 2
Discuss what Ruth embodies for Starbuck. How does she affect Starbuck's experiences after her death? What is her overall purpose in "Jailbird"?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Starbuck's narrative voice reflects his mind and the effect on the reader's experience and understanding.
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)