|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Starbuck arrested in the Epilogue?
2. How did all the current RAMJAC employees gain their positions?
3. Starbuck finds Mary Kathleen in a _______.
4. Who is Clewes' wife?
5. Why did Mary Kathleen receive shock treatments?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Starbuck view his role in the universe?
2. Why does Starbuck face more jail time after Mary Kathleen's death?
3. Why doesn't Mary Kathleen remember the bad things of Starbuck's life?
4. Does Mary Kathleen believe people are good? Why or why not?
5. What is rain supposed to symbolize in the Epilogue?
6. Why does the harp salesman want to call the police on Starbuck?
7. Why are Starbuck, Clewes, Edel, and Ubriaco "saints" to Mary Kathleen?
8. What is ironic about Mary Kathleen's death?
9. Have Mary Kathleen, Clewes, and Starbuck moved past their ugly past?
10. How does Leen mistake Starbuck for Mrs. Graham?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss whose story "Jailbird" is telling.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how "Jailbird" comments on the falsehood of personalities and why people paint themselves as they do.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how "The Sermon on the Mount" applies to "Jailbird."
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)