|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Starbuck's dream, what is he doing again?
2. Why did Mary Kathleen become a heavy drinker?
3. What does Mary Kathleen carry in her plastic bags?
4. What was the weather like on the night of the party?
5. Why does Starbuck start to cry when seeing Mary Kathleen?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss what Ruth embodies for Starbuck. How does she affect Starbuck's experiences after her death? What is her overall purpose in "Jailbird"?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the symbolism and statements made about socialism and capitalism in terms of humanity in "Jailbird."
Essay Topic 3
Vonnegut discusses a fan letter in the prologue, which says "love may fail, but courtesy will prevail." Discuss how this works as a theme in the book and its angle on humanity and society in "Jailbird."
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)