|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Mary Kathleen receive shock treatments?
2. What was the weather like the night Sacco and Vanzetti were executed?
3. What did Starbuck take from Mary Kathleen's belongings?
4. What kind of positions are Starbuck and his friends offered at RAMJAC?
5. What does the crowd watching the reunion encourage Starbuck to do?
Essay Topic 1
Vonnegut discusses a fan letter in the prologue, which says "love may fail, but courtesy will prevail." Discuss how this works as a theme in the book and its angle on humanity and society in "Jailbird."
Essay Topic 2
Real historical events are what drive the story and define the characters of "Jailbird." Discuss the force of reality on this fictional story.
Essay Topic 3
A majority of Starbuck's story in "Jailbird" is reflection on the past and how he came to be as he is in the present. Discuss Starbuck's retrospective point of view with him and his reality.
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)