|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Leen believes Mrs. Graham is there in disguise _________.
2. What was the weather like the night Sacco and Vanzetti were executed?
3. What is the harp salesman calculating doing as he talks to Starbuck?
4. Clewes is now a _______ salesman.
5. Why does Starbuck want to hide Mary Kathleen's identity?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Starbuck's son actually the monster Starbuck claims him to be? Explain.
2. What did Starbuck's life with Ruth embody?
3. What is ironic about Mary Kathleen's death?
4. How is Vonnegut invoking the senses of Starbuck's experience in his writing?
5. Why does Starbuck give the paramedics Mary Kathleen's maiden name?
6. Does Mary Kathleen believe people are good? Why or why not?
7. How does Leen feel about Mrs. Graham? How can you tell?
8. Why does the harp salesman want to call the police on Starbuck?
9. How does Starbuck view his role in the universe?
10. To Mary Kathleen, why does Starbuck have a good heart?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Starbuck forges his identity.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout "Jailbird" events foreshadow others, weaving the story together by more than plot. Discuss the use of foreshadowing in "Jailbird" and the effect on the narrative.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the tool of RAMJAC and how this prominent corporation reflects Vonnegut's ideas about capitalism.
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)