|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name is Mary Kathleen buried under?
2. What does Starbuck say to Clewes?
3. What does Mary Kathleen carry in her plastic bags?
4. Why does Leen wait on Starbuck so diligently?
5. Going to a diner, Starbuck is afraid that __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are Starbuck, Clewes, Edel, and Ubriaco "saints" to Mary Kathleen?
2. Were Mary Kathleen's dying wishes granted? How so?
3. How does Leen mistake Starbuck for Mrs. Graham?
4. Why does Starbuck cry when he sees Mary Kathleen?
5. To Mary Kathleen, why does Starbuck have a good heart?
6. What does Mary Kathleen personify? What is Vonnegut saying?
7. How does Starbuck view his role in the universe?
8. Why does the harp salesman want to call the police on Starbuck?
9. Why does Starbuck face more jail time after Mary Kathleen's death?
10. Does Mary Kathleen believe people are good? Why or why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mary Kathleen O'Looney and Mrs. Jack Graham, as the same person, illustrate both the socialist and capitalist. Discuss the dual nature of Mary Kathleen and how she embodies and reflects the tension.
Essay Topic 2
Real historical events are what drive the story and define the characters of "Jailbird." Discuss the force of reality on this fictional story.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the symbolism and statements made about socialism and capitalism in terms of humanity in "Jailbird."
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)