|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Starbuck tells the harp salesman he is looking for a market for ______.
2. How does Starbuck find Mary Kathleen?
3. What was the cause of Mary Kathleen's death?
4. When was the last time Starbuck cried?
5. If Starbuck had given the paramedics Mary Kathleen's real name, what would have happened?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Mary Kathleen believe people are good? Why or why not?
2. What does Mary Kathleen personify? What is Vonnegut saying?
3. How does Leen feel about Mrs. Graham? How can you tell?
4. Why are Starbuck's reunions with Mary Kathleen and Clewes a climax of "Jailbird"?
5. To Mary Kathleen, why does Starbuck have a good heart?
6. Does Clewes accept Starbuck's apology? What is his response?
7. Have Mary Kathleen, Clewes, and Starbuck moved past their ugly past?
8. Is Starbuck's son actually the monster Starbuck claims him to be? Explain.
9. What is rain supposed to symbolize in the Epilogue?
10. Why does Starbuck give the paramedics Mary Kathleen's maiden name?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout "Jailbird" events foreshadow others, weaving the story together by more than plot. Discuss the use of foreshadowing in "Jailbird" and the effect on the narrative.
Essay Topic 2
Interconnection is a prominent theme of "Jailbird." Discuss how Vonnegut connects characters and elements, what the purpose is, and the statement being made.
Essay Topic 3
Mary Kathleen O'Looney and Mrs. Jack Graham, as the same person, illustrate both the socialist and capitalist. Discuss the dual nature of Mary Kathleen and how she embodies and reflects the tension.
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)