|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name is Mary Kathleen buried under?
2. Whistler appointed himself as ________.
3. Starbuck reads a ______ written by his son.
4. When does Leen begin to believe Starbuck is Mrs. Graham in disguise?
5. In Starbuck's dream, what is he doing again?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Starbuck's son actually the monster Starbuck claims him to be? Explain.
2. How does Leen mistake Starbuck for Mrs. Graham?
3. How does Starbuck view his role in the universe?
4. Does Clewes accept Starbuck's apology? What is his response?
5. Why does Starbuck face more jail time after Mary Kathleen's death?
6. Why are Starbuck's reunions with Mary Kathleen and Clewes a climax of "Jailbird"?
7. Why should Starbuck have gone to the police in Chapter 11?
8. Why doesn't Mary Kathleen remember the bad things of Starbuck's life?
9. To Mary Kathleen, why does Starbuck have a good heart?
10. What did Starbuck's life with Ruth embody?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Interconnection is a prominent theme of "Jailbird." Discuss how Vonnegut connects characters and elements, what the purpose is, and the statement being made.
Essay Topic 2
Starbuck discusses he has only loved four women in his life. Those women are Sarah, Mary Kathleen, Ruth, and his mother. Discuss how Starbuck loves. What is his impact on those people, and what is their influence over him?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Starbuck forges his identity.
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)