|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary Kathleen not remember?
2. What is the only thing Mary Kathleen remembers about Starbuck?
3. Why does Starbuck want to hide Mary Kathleen's identity?
4. Mary Kathleen is concerned there is no _____ in the world.
5. What name did Starbuck give to the paramedics for Mary Kathleen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are Starbuck, Clewes, Edel, and Ubriaco "saints" to Mary Kathleen?
2. Why should Starbuck have gone to the police in Chapter 11?
3. Have Mary Kathleen, Clewes, and Starbuck moved past their ugly past?
4. Is Starbuck's son actually the monster Starbuck claims him to be? Explain.
5. How does Leen feel about Mrs. Graham? How can you tell?
6. To Mary Kathleen, why does Starbuck have a good heart?
7. How does Starbuck view his role in the universe?
8. What is ironic about Mary Kathleen's death?
9. As far as Starbuck knows, why are he and the other "saints" at Leen's apartment?
10. How far has Leland Clewes come since Starbuck last saw him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mary Kathleen O'Looney and Mrs. Jack Graham, as the same person, illustrate both the socialist and capitalist. Discuss the dual nature of Mary Kathleen and how she embodies and reflects the tension.
Essay Topic 2
Starbuck discusses he has only loved four women in his life. Those women are Sarah, Mary Kathleen, Ruth, and his mother. Discuss how Starbuck loves. What is his impact on those people, and what is their influence over him?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss whose story "Jailbird" is telling.
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)