|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Starbuck wake up so early?
2. When does Leen begin to believe Starbuck is Mrs. Graham in disguise?
3. Why doesn't Mary Kathleen want to live anymore?
4. What was the cause of Mary Kathleen's death?
5. Who does Mary Kathleen say the rightful owners of RAMJAC are?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is ironic about Mary Kathleen's death?
2. Why does Starbuck cry when he sees Mary Kathleen?
3. Why are Starbuck's reunions with Mary Kathleen and Clewes a climax of "Jailbird"?
4. Why are Starbuck, Clewes, Edel, and Ubriaco "saints" to Mary Kathleen?
5. Why does Starbuck give the paramedics Mary Kathleen's maiden name?
6. Why does the harp salesman want to call the police on Starbuck?
7. How does Leen mistake Starbuck for Mrs. Graham?
8. How does Starbuck view his role in the universe?
9. What is rain supposed to symbolize in the Epilogue?
10. Why does Starbuck face more jail time after Mary Kathleen's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the metaphor of Fender's story of "Vicuna."
Essay Topic 2
Starbuck, even after spending years in prison, continues to commit crime. Discuss Starbuck's decisions. Why does he do what he does? What does he think will happen?
Essay Topic 3
Interconnection is a prominent theme of "Jailbird." Discuss how Vonnegut connects characters and elements, what the purpose is, and the statement being made.
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)