|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What party is being thrown in the Epilogue?
2. Starbuck says wealthy business interests are like "_________."
3. Why does Starbuck wake up so early?
4. What was the cause of Mary Kathleen's death?
5. Leen believes Mrs. Graham is there in disguise _________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are Starbuck's reunions with Mary Kathleen and Clewes a climax of "Jailbird"?
2. Have Mary Kathleen, Clewes, and Starbuck moved past their ugly past?
3. Why does the harp salesman want to call the police on Starbuck?
4. How far has Leland Clewes come since Starbuck last saw him?
5. Why does Starbuck cry when he sees Mary Kathleen?
6. Why does Starbuck give the paramedics Mary Kathleen's maiden name?
7. Does Mary Kathleen believe people are good? Why or why not?
8. How does Starbuck view his role in the universe?
9. How is Vonnegut invoking the senses of Starbuck's experience in his writing?
10. Is Starbuck's son actually the monster Starbuck claims him to be? Explain.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Starbuck, even after spending years in prison, continues to commit crime. Discuss Starbuck's decisions. Why does he do what he does? What does he think will happen?
Essay Topic 2
Starbuck discusses he has only loved four women in his life. Those women are Sarah, Mary Kathleen, Ruth, and his mother. Discuss how Starbuck loves. What is his impact on those people, and what is their influence over him?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how "The Sermon on the Mount" applies to "Jailbird."
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)