|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Starbuck is forgotten in the police precinct for ________.
2. Where does Starbuck try to store Mary Kathleen's will?
3. What was the weather like the night Sacco and Vanzetti were executed?
4. What was the cause of Mary Kathleen's death?
5. Why does Starbuck wake up so early?
Short Essay Questions
1. To Mary Kathleen, why does Starbuck have a good heart?
2. Have Mary Kathleen, Clewes, and Starbuck moved past their ugly past?
3. How does Starbuck view his role in the universe?
4. Does Clewes accept Starbuck's apology? What is his response?
5. Why does Starbuck give the paramedics Mary Kathleen's maiden name?
6. Is Starbuck's son actually the monster Starbuck claims him to be? Explain.
7. Were Mary Kathleen's dying wishes granted? How so?
8. How far has Leland Clewes come since Starbuck last saw him?
9. How is Vonnegut invoking the senses of Starbuck's experience in his writing?
10. What did Starbuck's life with Ruth embody?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Real historical events are what drive the story and define the characters of "Jailbird." Discuss the force of reality on this fictional story.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Starbuck's narrative voice reflects his mind and the effect on the reader's experience and understanding.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Starbuck forges his identity.
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)