|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Starbuck want to hide Mary Kathleen's identity?
2. Mary Kathleen takes Starbuck to the top of _______.
3. Starbuck realizes the bag woman is " the ______ of Mary Kathleen O'Looney!"
4. What name did Starbuck give to the paramedics for Mary Kathleen?
5. What is the harp salesman calculating doing as he talks to Starbuck?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Mary Kathleen believe people are good? Why or why not?
2. Why are Starbuck's reunions with Mary Kathleen and Clewes a climax of "Jailbird"?
3. Why does Starbuck face more jail time after Mary Kathleen's death?
4. Why does the harp salesman want to call the police on Starbuck?
5. How does Starbuck view his role in the universe?
6. What is rain supposed to symbolize in the Epilogue?
7. Have Mary Kathleen, Clewes, and Starbuck moved past their ugly past?
8. Does Clewes accept Starbuck's apology? What is his response?
9. How does Leen feel about Mrs. Graham? How can you tell?
10. How far has Leland Clewes come since Starbuck last saw him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss whose story "Jailbird" is telling.
Essay Topic 2
Real historical events are what drive the story and define the characters of "Jailbird." Discuss the force of reality on this fictional story.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Starbuck's narrative voice reflects his mind and the effect on the reader's experience and understanding.
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)