|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did all the current RAMJAC employees gain their positions?
2. What does Mary Kathleen carry in her plastic bags?
3. Mary Kathleen takes Starbuck to her cavern under ________.
4. Why does Starbuck wake up so early?
5. What pleasant surprise does Starbuck have in the diner?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Starbuck give the paramedics Mary Kathleen's maiden name?
2. As far as Starbuck knows, why are he and the other "saints" at Leen's apartment?
3. How does Starbuck view his role in the universe?
4. Why doesn't Mary Kathleen remember the bad things of Starbuck's life?
5. How far has Leland Clewes come since Starbuck last saw him?
6. Is Starbuck's son actually the monster Starbuck claims him to be? Explain.
7. How does Leen mistake Starbuck for Mrs. Graham?
8. What does Mary Kathleen personify? What is Vonnegut saying?
9. What is rain supposed to symbolize in the Epilogue?
10. Why are Starbuck, Clewes, Edel, and Ubriaco "saints" to Mary Kathleen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Starbuck's soul is a frequent topic of discussion. Does Starbuck have a soul? If he does, what is its condition? As Mary Kathleen dies, she recognizes his lack of a soul and offers him some consolation. Discuss Starbuck's soul and morality in the context of himself and his surroundings.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss madness and psychosis in "Jailbird." How do people develop instability? How it is handled? What is Vonnegut's purpose for using psychosis in the larger narrative ?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the tool of RAMJAC and how this prominent corporation reflects Vonnegut's ideas about capitalism.
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)