|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Mary Kathleen want to live anymore?
2. Whistler appointed himself as ________.
3. What party is being thrown in the Epilogue?
4. Who does Mary Kathleen say the rightful owners of RAMJAC are?
5. In Starbuck's dream, what is he doing again?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Vonnegut invoking the senses of Starbuck's experience in his writing?
2. Were Mary Kathleen's dying wishes granted? How so?
3. How does Starbuck view his role in the universe?
4. Does Mary Kathleen believe people are good? Why or why not?
5. Why are Starbuck, Clewes, Edel, and Ubriaco "saints" to Mary Kathleen?
6. How does Leen mistake Starbuck for Mrs. Graham?
7. Why does Starbuck cry when he sees Mary Kathleen?
8. Why does Starbuck give the paramedics Mary Kathleen's maiden name?
9. To Mary Kathleen, why does Starbuck have a good heart?
10. Why doesn't Mary Kathleen remember the bad things of Starbuck's life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how "The Sermon on the Mount" applies to "Jailbird."
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the metaphor of Fender's story of "Vicuna."
Essay Topic 3
A majority of Starbuck's story in "Jailbird" is reflection on the past and how he came to be as he is in the present. Discuss Starbuck's retrospective point of view with him and his reality.
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)