|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Starbuck say to Clewes?
2. Why does Starbuck want to hide Mary Kathleen's identity?
3. What kind of positions are Starbuck and his friends offered at RAMJAC?
4. Why does Starbuck start to cry when seeing Mary Kathleen?
5. Mary Kathleen is concerned there is no _____ in the world.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are Starbuck, Clewes, Edel, and Ubriaco "saints" to Mary Kathleen?
2. Does Clewes accept Starbuck's apology? What is his response?
3. How does Leen mistake Starbuck for Mrs. Graham?
4. To Mary Kathleen, why does Starbuck have a good heart?
5. What does Mary Kathleen personify? What is Vonnegut saying?
6. How far has Leland Clewes come since Starbuck last saw him?
7. What is rain supposed to symbolize in the Epilogue?
8. What is ironic about Mary Kathleen's death?
9. Why does the harp salesman want to call the police on Starbuck?
10. Does Mary Kathleen believe people are good? Why or why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A majority of Starbuck's story in "Jailbird" is reflection on the past and how he came to be as he is in the present. Discuss Starbuck's retrospective point of view with him and his reality.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Starbuck forges his identity.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how "The Sermon on the Mount" applies to "Jailbird."
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)