|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Clewes leave the reunion?
2. Who arrives at the end of Chapter 16?
3. Starbuck tells the harp salesman he is looking for a market for ______.
4. Mary Kathleen takes Starbuck to her cavern under ________.
5. What is the fate of RAMJAC?
Short Essay Questions
1. To Mary Kathleen, why does Starbuck have a good heart?
2. Have Mary Kathleen, Clewes, and Starbuck moved past their ugly past?
3. Is Starbuck's son actually the monster Starbuck claims him to be? Explain.
4. Were Mary Kathleen's dying wishes granted? How so?
5. Why are Starbuck's reunions with Mary Kathleen and Clewes a climax of "Jailbird"?
6. Why does Starbuck face more jail time after Mary Kathleen's death?
7. How far has Leland Clewes come since Starbuck last saw him?
8. What does Mary Kathleen personify? What is Vonnegut saying?
9. How does Leen feel about Mrs. Graham? How can you tell?
10. What is ironic about Mary Kathleen's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Vonnegut discusses a fan letter in the prologue, which says "love may fail, but courtesy will prevail." Discuss how this works as a theme in the book and its angle on humanity and society in "Jailbird."
Essay Topic 2
Discuss whose story "Jailbird" is telling.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how memory affects characters. Include the significance one's memories have on the individual and the individual's actions. How do the memories of one individual affect others?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)