|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are Mary Kathleen's final wishes not being met?
2. What was the cause of Mary Kathleen's death?
3. How do Sarah and Starbuck speak to each other on the phone?
4. What is the bag woman insisting to Starbuck?
5. What name is Mary Kathleen buried under?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mary Kathleen personify? What is Vonnegut saying?
2. How does Leen feel about Mrs. Graham? How can you tell?
3. Why are Starbuck, Clewes, Edel, and Ubriaco "saints" to Mary Kathleen?
4. How does Leen mistake Starbuck for Mrs. Graham?
5. To Mary Kathleen, why does Starbuck have a good heart?
6. What did Starbuck's life with Ruth embody?
7. Why does Starbuck cry when he sees Mary Kathleen?
8. Does Mary Kathleen believe people are good? Why or why not?
9. What is ironic about Mary Kathleen's death?
10. Were Mary Kathleen's dying wishes granted? How so?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Starbuck's narrative voice reflects his mind and the effect on the reader's experience and understanding.
Essay Topic 2
A majority of Starbuck's story in "Jailbird" is reflection on the past and how he came to be as he is in the present. Discuss Starbuck's retrospective point of view with him and his reality.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss whose story "Jailbird" is telling.
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)