|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Starbuck start to cry when seeing Mary Kathleen?
2. What connection has Starbuck not made by Chapter 20?
3. Why does Starbuck wake up so early?
4. In Starbuck's dream, what is he doing again?
5. Whistler appointed himself as ________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Mary Kathleen remember the bad things of Starbuck's life?
2. Is Starbuck's son actually the monster Starbuck claims him to be? Explain.
3. Does Mary Kathleen believe people are good? Why or why not?
4. How far has Leland Clewes come since Starbuck last saw him?
5. Why does Starbuck cry when he sees Mary Kathleen?
6. Why should Starbuck have gone to the police in Chapter 11?
7. Why does Starbuck face more jail time after Mary Kathleen's death?
8. To Mary Kathleen, why does Starbuck have a good heart?
9. Why does the harp salesman want to call the police on Starbuck?
10. As far as Starbuck knows, why are he and the other "saints" at Leen's apartment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Vonnegut discusses a fan letter in the prologue, which says "love may fail, but courtesy will prevail." Discuss how this works as a theme in the book and its angle on humanity and society in "Jailbird."
Essay Topic 2
A majority of Starbuck's story in "Jailbird" is reflection on the past and how he came to be as he is in the present. Discuss Starbuck's retrospective point of view with him and his reality.
Essay Topic 3
Interconnection is a prominent theme of "Jailbird." Discuss how Vonnegut connects characters and elements, what the purpose is, and the statement being made.
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)