|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the bag woman insisting to Starbuck?
2. Why does Leen wait on Starbuck so diligently?
3. Starbuck describes his office in the Nixon White House as a __________ cell.
4. Why is Starbuck arrested in the Epilogue?
5. In Starbuck's dream, what is he doing again?
Short Essay Questions
1. Have Mary Kathleen, Clewes, and Starbuck moved past their ugly past?
2. How is Vonnegut invoking the senses of Starbuck's experience in his writing?
3. How does Leen feel about Mrs. Graham? How can you tell?
4. What is ironic about Mary Kathleen's death?
5. Does Clewes accept Starbuck's apology? What is his response?
6. Why are Starbuck, Clewes, Edel, and Ubriaco "saints" to Mary Kathleen?
7. Why should Starbuck have gone to the police in Chapter 11?
8. Why doesn't Mary Kathleen remember the bad things of Starbuck's life?
9. Does Mary Kathleen believe people are good? Why or why not?
10. Why does the harp salesman want to call the police on Starbuck?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the tool of RAMJAC and how this prominent corporation reflects Vonnegut's ideas about capitalism.
Essay Topic 2
Real historical events are what drive the story and define the characters of "Jailbird." Discuss the force of reality on this fictional story.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how "Jailbird" comments on the falsehood of personalities and why people paint themselves as they do.
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)