|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What pleasant surprise does Starbuck have in the diner?
2. What party is being thrown in the Epilogue?
3. Who is Clewes' wife?
4. What name did Starbuck give to the paramedics for Mary Kathleen?
5. Why does Starbuck wake up so early?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the harp salesman want to call the police on Starbuck?
2. Does Clewes accept Starbuck's apology? What is his response?
3. Why are Starbuck's reunions with Mary Kathleen and Clewes a climax of "Jailbird"?
4. How does Leen mistake Starbuck for Mrs. Graham?
5. How does Leen feel about Mrs. Graham? How can you tell?
6. How is Vonnegut invoking the senses of Starbuck's experience in his writing?
7. What is ironic about Mary Kathleen's death?
8. As far as Starbuck knows, why are he and the other "saints" at Leen's apartment?
9. How far has Leland Clewes come since Starbuck last saw him?
10. Why are Starbuck, Clewes, Edel, and Ubriaco "saints" to Mary Kathleen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Starbuck discusses he has only loved four women in his life. Those women are Sarah, Mary Kathleen, Ruth, and his mother. Discuss how Starbuck loves. What is his impact on those people, and what is their influence over him?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Starbuck's narrative voice reflects his mind and the effect on the reader's experience and understanding.
Essay Topic 3
Starbuck's soul is a frequent topic of discussion. Does Starbuck have a soul? If he does, what is its condition? As Mary Kathleen dies, she recognizes his lack of a soul and offers him some consolation. Discuss Starbuck's soul and morality in the context of himself and his surroundings.
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)