|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of positions are Starbuck and his friends offered at RAMJAC?
2. Starbuck finds Mary Kathleen in a _______.
3. What was the weather like on the night of the party?
4. Leen believes Mrs. Graham is there in disguise _________.
5. Mary Kathleen takes Starbuck to her cavern under ________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Vonnegut invoking the senses of Starbuck's experience in his writing?
2. As far as Starbuck knows, why are he and the other "saints" at Leen's apartment?
3. Why does Starbuck cry when he sees Mary Kathleen?
4. What is ironic about Mary Kathleen's death?
5. Is Starbuck's son actually the monster Starbuck claims him to be? Explain.
6. Have Mary Kathleen, Clewes, and Starbuck moved past their ugly past?
7. What is rain supposed to symbolize in the Epilogue?
8. Why does the harp salesman want to call the police on Starbuck?
9. Why are Starbuck's reunions with Mary Kathleen and Clewes a climax of "Jailbird"?
10. Does Clewes accept Starbuck's apology? What is his response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Starbuck, even after spending years in prison, continues to commit crime. Discuss Starbuck's decisions. Why does he do what he does? What does he think will happen?
Essay Topic 2
Starbuck's soul is a frequent topic of discussion. Does Starbuck have a soul? If he does, what is its condition? As Mary Kathleen dies, she recognizes his lack of a soul and offers him some consolation. Discuss Starbuck's soul and morality in the context of himself and his surroundings.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Starbuck forges his identity.
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)