|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Starbuck realizes the bag woman is " the ______ of Mary Kathleen O'Looney!"
2. Mary Kathleen is concerned there is no _____ in the world.
3. While unpacking at the Arapahoe, what does Starbuck wonder?
4. Mary Kathleen takes Starbuck to the top of _______.
5. Starbuck's mother's laugh sounds like a _______.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mary Kathleen personify? What is Vonnegut saying?
2. How far has Leland Clewes come since Starbuck last saw him?
3. What is ironic about Mary Kathleen's death?
4. How is Vonnegut invoking the senses of Starbuck's experience in his writing?
5. Why does Starbuck face more jail time after Mary Kathleen's death?
6. Why should Starbuck have gone to the police in Chapter 11?
7. Were Mary Kathleen's dying wishes granted? How so?
8. Have Mary Kathleen, Clewes, and Starbuck moved past their ugly past?
9. Does Mary Kathleen believe people are good? Why or why not?
10. Is Starbuck's son actually the monster Starbuck claims him to be? Explain.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Starbuck's soul is a frequent topic of discussion. Does Starbuck have a soul? If he does, what is its condition? As Mary Kathleen dies, she recognizes his lack of a soul and offers him some consolation. Discuss Starbuck's soul and morality in the context of himself and his surroundings.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how "The Sermon on the Mount" applies to "Jailbird."
Essay Topic 3
Starbuck discusses he has only loved four women in his life. Those women are Sarah, Mary Kathleen, Ruth, and his mother. Discuss how Starbuck loves. What is his impact on those people, and what is their influence over him?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)