|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Going to a diner, Starbuck is afraid that __________.
2. Starbuck says wealthy business interests are like "_________."
3. Why does Starbuck start to cry when seeing Mary Kathleen?
4. What was the cause of Mary Kathleen's death?
5. How did all the current RAMJAC employees gain their positions?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mary Kathleen personify? What is Vonnegut saying?
2. Does Clewes accept Starbuck's apology? What is his response?
3. Were Mary Kathleen's dying wishes granted? How so?
4. Why are Starbuck, Clewes, Edel, and Ubriaco "saints" to Mary Kathleen?
5. What did Starbuck's life with Ruth embody?
6. Why does Starbuck cry when he sees Mary Kathleen?
7. Why does Starbuck give the paramedics Mary Kathleen's maiden name?
8. How does Leen mistake Starbuck for Mrs. Graham?
9. What is ironic about Mary Kathleen's death?
10. To Mary Kathleen, why does Starbuck have a good heart?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Starbuck discusses he has only loved four women in his life. Those women are Sarah, Mary Kathleen, Ruth, and his mother. Discuss how Starbuck loves. What is his impact on those people, and what is their influence over him?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the tool of RAMJAC and how this prominent corporation reflects Vonnegut's ideas about capitalism.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout "Jailbird" events foreshadow others, weaving the story together by more than plot. Discuss the use of foreshadowing in "Jailbird" and the effect on the narrative.
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)