|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of the prologue, "Kilgore Trout is ________."
2. What does Starbuck say to defend himself to Sarah?
3. Why are the people of Vicuna leaving their planet?
4. What does Carter admire about di Sanza?
5. Mr. Arpad Leen is described as ______.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is being foreshadowed in the Prologue?
2. How is the theme of interconnection displayed through Starbuck's narrative voice?
3. How is "tension" a major theme in the Prologue?
4. What are the degrees of separation between Sarah Wyatt and Mary Kathleen O'Looney in Chapter 9?
5. How did the Cuyahoga Massacre impact Starbuck?
6. With Sarah, is Starbuck loving or courteous?
7. Why does the red ribbon on Starbuck's suit cause trouble?
8. Is Starbuck's release from prison entering the new or returning to the old?
9. How is Fender's story of Vicuna a metaphor?
10. What ruins Sarah's and Starbuck's date? Why does she insist they leave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how "Jailbird" comments on the falsehood of personalities and why people paint themselves as they do.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how "The Sermon on the Mount" applies to "Jailbird."
Essay Topic 3
Discuss madness and psychosis in "Jailbird." How do people develop instability? How it is handled? What is Vonnegut's purpose for using psychosis in the larger narrative ?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)