Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the limo driver wear on his uniform?
2. Why is Fender, Starbuck's friend, in prison?
3. Walter Starbuck is an ex-con, ex-capitalist, and ex-_________.
4. How did Starbuck lose all his money?
5. Israel Edel now works for ________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Starbuck cry when he sees Mary Kathleen?
2. How does Starbuck view his role in the universe?
3. Why does the harp salesman want to call the police on Starbuck?
4. What does Mary Kathleen personify? What is Vonnegut saying?
5. How does Starbuck's testimony reflect his life?
6. What does Starbuck's release from prison mark?
7. How does Leen feel about Mrs. Graham? How can you tell?
8. Why doesn't Mary Kathleen remember the bad things of Starbuck's life?
9. Were Mary Kathleen's dying wishes granted? How so?
10. What ruins Sarah's and Starbuck's date? Why does she insist they leave?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Starbuck forges his identity.
Essay Topic 2
A majority of Starbuck's story in "Jailbird" is reflection on the past and how he came to be as he is in the present. Discuss Starbuck's retrospective point of view with him and his reality.
Essay Topic 3
Starbuck's soul is a frequent topic of discussion. Does Starbuck have a soul? If he does, what is its condition? As Mary Kathleen dies, she recognizes his lack of a soul and offers him some consolation. Discuss Starbuck's soul and morality in the context of himself and his surroundings.
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)