|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Starbuck is trying to clear his mind of _____________.
2. What did McCone offer Starbuck?
3. In the letter Vonnegut receives, it reads: "_______ will prevail."
4. What was Hapgood's default defense for people?
5. Where did McCone go to college?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Cuyahoga Massacre impact Starbuck?
2. What does the arrival of the famous prisoner tie together?
3. Is an event's existence or its meaning more important to Starbuck? How?
4. What do we learn about Starbuck by his attitude towards the red ribbon?
5. How is the theme of interconnection displayed through Starbuck's narrative voice?
6. Why does Starbuck cry in the cab home?
7. How is "a rich man's trash can" a symbol for Starbuck?
8. Is Starbuck's release from prison entering the new or returning to the old?
9. Why did Starbuck agree to be McCone's protégé?
10. Upon being released from prison, why does Starbuck stay at the Hotel Arapahoe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Starbuck's narrative voice reflects his mind and the effect on the reader's experience and understanding.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how memory affects characters. Include the significance one's memories have on the individual and the individual's actions. How do the memories of one individual affect others?
Essay Topic 3
Mary Kathleen O'Looney and Mrs. Jack Graham, as the same person, illustrate both the socialist and capitalist. Discuss the dual nature of Mary Kathleen and how she embodies and reflects the tension.
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)