|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What prompts Starbuck to remember Sarah Wyatt?
2. What did Starbuck become involved with because of Sarah?
3. What does Carter admire about di Sanza?
4. Looking in the mirror in his new suit, Starbuck observes that he looks _____.
5. What does the maitre de at the Arapahoe wear on his lapel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the nature of Starbuck's relationship with Nixon?
2. After receiving the fan letter, why did Vonnegut feel he didn't need to write this or other books?
3. How did Starbuck come to be a millionaire? Why isn't he anymore?
4. What do we learn about Starbuck by his attitude towards the red ribbon?
5. Why does Starbuck cry in the cab home?
6. What effect do Starbuck's relationships have on him? What is he relationship with himself?
7. Is an event's existence or its meaning more important to Starbuck? How?
8. How did Starbuck meet his wife, Ruth? Why was the beginning of their relationship rocky?
9. How prevalent is "identity" in the Prologue? Why and how is it used?
10. Why did Starbuck agree to be McCone's protégé?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how "Jailbird" comments on the falsehood of personalities and why people paint themselves as they do.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout "Jailbird" events foreshadow others, weaving the story together by more than plot. Discuss the use of foreshadowing in "Jailbird" and the effect on the narrative.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Starbuck forges his identity.
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)