|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Ruth reserved about relationships?
2. Who leaves the limo?
3. What did Starbuck become involved with because of Sarah?
4. From whom does Vonnegut receive a letter?
5. Whose name is the limo driver's a variation of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the degrees of separation between Sarah Wyatt and Mary Kathleen O'Looney in Chapter 9?
2. Why did Starbuck agree to be McCone's protégé?
3. With Sarah, is Starbuck loving or courteous?
4. Why does Starbuck cry in the cab home?
5. Why is Starbuck a socialist?
6. Is an event's existence or its meaning more important to Starbuck? How?
7. Is "The Sermon on the Mount" a reasonable defense for Sacco and Vanzetti? Why or why not?
8. What is the significance of "Kilgore Trout" being a pseudonym?
9. What does Starbuck's release from prison mark?
10. What does the arrival of the famous prisoner tie together?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how "The Sermon on the Mount" applies to "Jailbird."
Essay Topic 2
Mary Kathleen O'Looney and Mrs. Jack Graham, as the same person, illustrate both the socialist and capitalist. Discuss the dual nature of Mary Kathleen and how she embodies and reflects the tension.
Essay Topic 3
Real historical events are what drive the story and define the characters of "Jailbird." Discuss the force of reality on this fictional story.
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)