|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For whom did Hapgood crusade?
2. Why was Sarah furious with Starbuck?
3. When Starbuck met Ruth, what was she?
4. About children, Ruth prophesied, "If I had one, it would be a _______."
5. What started the Cuyahoga Massacre?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the theme of interconnection displayed through Starbuck's narrative voice?
2. What are the degrees of separation between Sarah Wyatt and Mary Kathleen O'Looney in Chapter 9?
3. What does Starbuck's release from prison mark?
4. Why does Starbuck cry in the cab home?
5. How is "a rich man's trash can" a symbol for Starbuck?
6. What ruins Sarah's and Starbuck's date? Why does she insist they leave?
7. How did the Cuyahoga Massacre impact Starbuck?
8. Is "The Sermon on the Mount" a reasonable defense for Sacco and Vanzetti? Why or why not?
9. Is Starbuck's release from prison entering the new or returning to the old?
10. What effect do Starbuck's relationships have on him? What is he relationship with himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the metaphor of Fender's story of "Vicuna."
Essay Topic 2
Discuss what Ruth embodies for Starbuck. How does she affect Starbuck's experiences after her death? What is her overall purpose in "Jailbird"?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Starbuck's narrative voice reflects his mind and the effect on the reader's experience and understanding.
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)