Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the limo driver wear on his uniform?
2. Why is Fender, Starbuck's friend, in prison?
3. Walter Starbuck is an ex-con, ex-capitalist, and ex-_________.
4. How did Starbuck lose all his money?
5. Israel Edel now works for ________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Starbuck cry when he sees Mary Kathleen?
2. How does Starbuck view his role in the universe?
3. Why does the harp salesman want to call the police on Starbuck?
4. What does Mary Kathleen personify? What is Vonnegut saying?
5. How does Starbuck's testimony reflect his life?
6. What does Starbuck's release from prison mark?
7. How does Leen feel about Mrs. Graham? How can you tell?
8. Why doesn't Mary Kathleen remember the bad things of Starbuck's life?
9. Were Mary Kathleen's dying wishes granted? How so?
10. What ruins Sarah's and Starbuck's date? Why does she insist they leave?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the metaphor of Fender's story of "Vicuna."
Essay Topic 2
Starbuck, even after spending years in prison, continues to commit crime. Discuss Starbuck's decisions. Why does he do what he does? What does he think will happen?
Essay Topic 3
Vonnegut discusses a fan letter in the prologue, which says "love may fail, but courtesy will prevail." Discuss how this works as a theme in the book and its angle on humanity and society in "Jailbird."
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)