|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did McCone go to college?
2. Walter Starbuck is an ex-con, ex-capitalist, and ex-_________.
3. Where did Hapgood go to college?
4. What did Starbuck become involved with because of Sarah?
5. The people of Vicuna have the capacity to do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. With Sarah, is Starbuck loving or courteous?
2. Is Starbuck's life lived second-hand? How?
3. What does Starbuck's release from prison mark?
4. Is Starbuck's release from prison entering the new or returning to the old?
5. How is the theme of interconnection displayed through Starbuck's narrative voice?
6. Did Ruth's prophesy about her son come true? What is the nature of Starbuck and Ruth's son?
7. How far has Leland Clewes come since Starbuck last saw him?
8. Upon being released from prison, why does Starbuck stay at the Hotel Arapahoe?
9. Why are Starbuck, Clewes, Edel, and Ubriaco "saints" to Mary Kathleen?
10. Why does Starbuck cry when he sees Mary Kathleen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mary Kathleen O'Looney and Mrs. Jack Graham, as the same person, illustrate both the socialist and capitalist. Discuss the dual nature of Mary Kathleen and how she embodies and reflects the tension.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Starbuck forges his identity.
Essay Topic 3
Interconnection is a prominent theme of "Jailbird." Discuss how Vonnegut connects characters and elements, what the purpose is, and the statement being made.
This section contains 1,121 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)