|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From whom does Vonnegut receive a letter?
2. When Starbuck met Ruth, what was she?
3. How did the factory workers for the Wyatt family become poisoned?
4. What does the limo driver wear on his uniform?
5. Aside from his wives and girlfriends, who is the fourth woman Starbuck ever loved?
Short Essay Questions
1. Did Ruth's prophesy about her son come true? What is the nature of Starbuck and Ruth's son?
2. Why does Starbuck cry in the cab home?
3. Is Starbuck's release from prison entering the new or returning to the old?
4. What is being foreshadowed in the Prologue?
5. What are the degrees of separation between Sarah Wyatt and Mary Kathleen O'Looney in Chapter 9?
6. How is the theme of interconnection displayed through Starbuck's narrative voice?
7. Upon being released from prison, why does Starbuck stay at the Hotel Arapahoe?
8. What ruins Sarah's and Starbuck's date? Why does she insist they leave?
9. How did the Cuyahoga Massacre impact Starbuck?
10. What does the arrival of the famous prisoner tie together?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the symbolism and statements made about socialism and capitalism in terms of humanity in "Jailbird."
Essay Topic 2
Discuss madness and psychosis in "Jailbird." How do people develop instability? How it is handled? What is Vonnegut's purpose for using psychosis in the larger narrative ?
Essay Topic 3
Interconnection is a prominent theme of "Jailbird." Discuss how Vonnegut connects characters and elements, what the purpose is, and the statement being made.
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)