|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the limo driver wear on his uniform?
2. Why is Fender, Starbuck's friend, in prison?
3. Walter Starbuck is an ex-con, ex-capitalist, and ex-_________.
4. How did Starbuck lose all his money?
5. Israel Edel now works for ________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Starbuck cry when he sees Mary Kathleen?
2. How does Starbuck view his role in the universe?
3. Why does the harp salesman want to call the police on Starbuck?
4. What does Mary Kathleen personify? What is Vonnegut saying?
5. How does Starbuck's testimony reflect his life?
6. What does Starbuck's release from prison mark?
7. How does Leen feel about Mrs. Graham? How can you tell?
8. Why doesn't Mary Kathleen remember the bad things of Starbuck's life?
9. Were Mary Kathleen's dying wishes granted? How so?
10. What ruins Sarah's and Starbuck's date? Why does she insist they leave?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how "The Sermon on the Mount" applies to "Jailbird."
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the metaphor of Fender's story of "Vicuna."
Essay Topic 3
Starbuck discusses he has only loved four women in his life. Those women are Sarah, Mary Kathleen, Ruth, and his mother. Discuss how Starbuck loves. What is his impact on those people, and what is their influence over him?
This section contains 1,103 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)