|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the limo driver wear on his uniform?
2. Why did Starbuck originally stay at the Hotel Arapahoe?
3. At the beginning of the prologue, "Kilgore Trout is ________."
4. What prompts Starbuck to remember Sarah Wyatt?
5. What did Starbuck's son change his name to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Starbuck agree to be McCone's protégé?
2. Is Starbuck's release from prison entering the new or returning to the old?
3. How did Starbuck come to be a millionaire? Why isn't he anymore?
4. How is "a rich man's trash can" a symbol for Starbuck?
5. How did Starbuck become involved in the Watergate Scandal?
6. What is the significance of "Kilgore Trout" being a pseudonym?
7. What do we learn about Starbuck by his attitude towards the red ribbon?
8. Why does the red ribbon on Starbuck's suit cause trouble?
9. What ruins Sarah's and Starbuck's date? Why does she insist they leave?
10. Is an event's existence or its meaning more important to Starbuck? How?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mary Kathleen O'Looney and Mrs. Jack Graham, as the same person, illustrate both the socialist and capitalist. Discuss the dual nature of Mary Kathleen and how she embodies and reflects the tension.
Essay Topic 2
Real historical events are what drive the story and define the characters of "Jailbird." Discuss the force of reality on this fictional story.
Essay Topic 3
Starbuck discusses he has only loved four women in his life. Those women are Sarah, Mary Kathleen, Ruth, and his mother. Discuss how Starbuck loves. What is his impact on those people, and what is their influence over him?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)