|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For whom did Hapgood crusade?
2. Aside from his wives and girlfriends, who is the fourth woman Starbuck ever loved?
3. Starbuck makes fun of Nixon for _________.
4. What were the repercussions for Starbuck's involvement in Watergate?
5. In prison, what did Larkin do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the nature of Starbuck's relationship with Nixon?
2. Upon being released from prison, why does Starbuck stay at the Hotel Arapahoe?
3. How did Starbuck meet his wife, Ruth? Why was the beginning of their relationship rocky?
4. Why does Starbuck cry in the cab home?
5. With Sarah, is Starbuck loving or courteous?
6. Is an event's existence or its meaning more important to Starbuck? How?
7. How is Fender's story of Vicuna a metaphor?
8. What are the degrees of separation between Sarah Wyatt and Mary Kathleen O'Looney in Chapter 9?
9. What is being foreshadowed in the Prologue?
10. What effect do Starbuck's relationships have on him? What is he relationship with himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the tool of RAMJAC and how this prominent corporation reflects Vonnegut's ideas about capitalism.
Essay Topic 2
Starbuck, even after spending years in prison, continues to commit crime. Discuss Starbuck's decisions. Why does he do what he does? What does he think will happen?
Essay Topic 3
Interconnection is a prominent theme of "Jailbird." Discuss how Vonnegut connects characters and elements, what the purpose is, and the statement being made.
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)