|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the letter Vonnegut receives, it reads: "_____ may fail."
2. Whose name is the limo driver's a variation of?
3. In the letter Vonnegut receives, it reads: "_______ will prevail."
4. Where were Ruth and Starbuck transferred after their marriage?
5. On the cab ride back to Sarah's apartment, what does Starbuck do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of "Kilgore Trout" being a pseudonym?
2. What ruins Sarah's and Starbuck's date? Why does she insist they leave?
3. How did Starbuck meet his wife, Ruth? Why was the beginning of their relationship rocky?
4. After receiving the fan letter, why did Vonnegut feel he didn't need to write this or other books?
5. What was the nature of Starbuck's relationship with Nixon?
6. What do we learn about Starbuck by his attitude towards the red ribbon?
7. Upon being released from prison, why does Starbuck stay at the Hotel Arapahoe?
8. How prevalent is "identity" in the Prologue? Why and how is it used?
9. Did Ruth's prophesy about her son come true? What is the nature of Starbuck and Ruth's son?
10. Why does Starbuck cry in the cab home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Starbuck discusses he has only loved four women in his life. Those women are Sarah, Mary Kathleen, Ruth, and his mother. Discuss how Starbuck loves. What is his impact on those people, and what is their influence over him?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the symbolism and statements made about socialism and capitalism in terms of humanity in "Jailbird."
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how memory affects characters. Include the significance one's memories have on the individual and the individual's actions. How do the memories of one individual affect others?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)