|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Vonnegut's relationship with Powers Hapgood?
2. In what magazine was Fender's story of Vicuna published?
3. Israel Edel now works for ________.
4. Why is Fender, Starbuck's friend, in prison?
5. How much money did Starbuck have before he went to prison?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was the Sermon on the Mount reintroduced in the Epilogue?
2. Is an event's existence or its meaning more important to Starbuck? How?
3. Did Ruth's prophesy about her son come true? What is the nature of Starbuck and Ruth's son?
4. After receiving the fan letter, why did Vonnegut feel he didn't need to write this or other books?
5. What ruins Sarah's and Starbuck's date? Why does she insist they leave?
6. Why does Starbuck try to hide Mary Kathleen's will?
7. How far has Leland Clewes come since Starbuck last saw him?
8. Why are Starbuck's reunions with Mary Kathleen and Clewes a climax of "Jailbird"?
9. Why is Starbuck a socialist?
10. Why does Starbuck face more jail time after Mary Kathleen's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how "Jailbird" comments on the falsehood of personalities and why people paint themselves as they do.
Essay Topic 2
A majority of Starbuck's story in "Jailbird" is reflection on the past and how he came to be as he is in the present. Discuss Starbuck's retrospective point of view with him and his reality.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the symbolism and statements made about socialism and capitalism in terms of humanity in "Jailbird."
This section contains 1,121 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)