|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Starbuck is trying to clear his mind of _____________.
2. What was Starbuck's relationship with Alexander Hamilton McCone?
3. The Arapahoe dining room has been converted into _________.
4. The people of Vicuna have the capacity to do what?
5. How much money did Starbuck have before he went to prison?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Starbuck a socialist?
2. Why does the red ribbon on Starbuck's suit cause trouble?
3. What is being foreshadowed in the Prologue?
4. What does Starbuck's release from prison mark?
5. After receiving the fan letter, why did Vonnegut feel he didn't need to write this or other books?
6. Is Starbuck's release from prison entering the new or returning to the old?
7. Is an event's existence or its meaning more important to Starbuck? How?
8. How is "a rich man's trash can" a symbol for Starbuck?
9. How is "tension" a major theme in the Prologue?
10. What does the arrival of the famous prisoner tie together?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the metaphor of Fender's story of "Vicuna."
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Starbuck's narrative voice reflects his mind and the effect on the reader's experience and understanding.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the tool of RAMJAC and how this prominent corporation reflects Vonnegut's ideas about capitalism.
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)