|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. A Frenchman at the airport is angry because of the ________ on Starbuck's suit.
2. Starbuck realizes that by leaving prison he is rejoining _________.
3. Starbuck says he became involved in Watergate ________.
4. When Starbuck met Ruth, what was she?
5. What did Hapgood do for Sacco and Vanzetti?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Starbuck agree to be McCone's protégé?
2. Why does the red ribbon on Starbuck's suit cause trouble?
3. How is "a rich man's trash can" a symbol for Starbuck?
4. What was the nature of Starbuck's relationship with Nixon?
5. How did the Cuyahoga Massacre impact Starbuck?
6. Is "The Sermon on the Mount" a reasonable defense for Sacco and Vanzetti? Why or why not?
7. Why does Starbuck cry in the cab home?
8. Is Starbuck's release from prison entering the new or returning to the old?
9. What ruins Sarah's and Starbuck's date? Why does she insist they leave?
10. What are the degrees of separation between Sarah Wyatt and Mary Kathleen O'Looney in Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the tool of RAMJAC and how this prominent corporation reflects Vonnegut's ideas about capitalism.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Starbuck's narrative voice reflects his mind and the effect on the reader's experience and understanding.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss whose story "Jailbird" is telling.
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)