|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Starbuck thinks fifty year old harps belong in a ______ or a museum.
2. What does the crowd watching the reunion encourage Starbuck to do?
(a) Get her off the street.
(b) Embrace Mary Kathleen.
(c) Give Mary Kathleen money.
(d) Run away.
3. How does Starbuck find Mary Kathleen?
(b) Her voice.
(d) A trail of blood.
4. At Leen's apartment, what are Starbuck and his friends wondering?
(a) Where the food is.
(b) Where Mary Kathleen is.
(c) Why they are with Leen.
(d) What they did to get Mrs. Graham's attention.
5. How did all the current RAMJAC employees gain their positions?
(a) They are related to the Graham's.
(b) They bribed the authorities.
(c) They had good college educations.
(d) They were kind.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who arrives at the end of Chapter 16?
2. Who is Clewes' wife?
3. Why is the harp salesman upset with Mary Kathleen?
4. What is the bag woman insisting to Starbuck?
5. Whistler appointed himself as ________.
Short Essay Questions
1. As far as Starbuck knows, why are he and the other "saints" at Leen's apartment?
2. What does Mary Kathleen personify? What is Vonnegut saying?
3. What is rain supposed to symbolize in the Epilogue?
4. Why are Starbuck's reunions with Mary Kathleen and Clewes a climax of "Jailbird"?
5. Is Starbuck's son actually the monster Starbuck claims him to be? Explain.
6. Why does the harp salesman want to call the police on Starbuck?
7. Why does Starbuck cry when he sees Mary Kathleen?
8. How far has Leland Clewes come since Starbuck last saw him?
9. Why are Starbuck, Clewes, Edel, and Ubriaco "saints" to Mary Kathleen?
10. How is Vonnegut invoking the senses of Starbuck's experience in his writing?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)