|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the only thing Mary Kathleen remembers about Starbuck?
(a) His voice.
(b) His jokes.
(c) His ideals.
(d) His crimes.
2. Starbuck interrupts his own memories by saying "________."
(a) What else?
(b) Small world.
(d) Or so they say.
3. What was the weather like on the night of the party?
4. All of Starbuck's fresh-from-prison friends arrived with __________.
(a) Their new wives.
(b) Former RAMJAC employees.
(c) Their childhood friends.
(d) Political figures.
5. What was the weather like the night Sacco and Vanzetti were executed?
Short Answer Questions
1. Starbuck reads a ______ written by his son.
2. What is the fate of RAMJAC?
3. Why does Starbuck start to cry when seeing Mary Kathleen?
4. Leen believes Mrs. Graham is there in disguise _________.
5. Why does Clewes leave the reunion?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Mary Kathleen believe people are good? Why or why not?
2. How does Starbuck view his role in the universe?
3. Why should Starbuck have gone to the police in Chapter 11?
4. Were Mary Kathleen's dying wishes granted? How so?
5. How does Leen feel about Mrs. Graham? How can you tell?
6. To Mary Kathleen, why does Starbuck have a good heart?
7. What is rain supposed to symbolize in the Epilogue?
8. Why are Starbuck, Clewes, Edel, and Ubriaco "saints" to Mary Kathleen?
9. What is ironic about Mary Kathleen's death?
10. Why are Starbuck's reunions with Mary Kathleen and Clewes a climax of "Jailbird"?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)