|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Starbuck try to store Mary Kathleen's will?
(a) A safety deposit box.
(b) Under his bed.
(c) With her body.
(d) With Clewes.
2. Going to a diner, Starbuck is afraid that __________.
(a) The food will be bad.
(b) He won't know anyone.
(c) Everyone will know about his past.
(d) He won't be able to afford the bill.
3. Clewes is now a _______ salesman.
4. In Starbuck's dream, what is he doing again?
5. Why doesn't Mary Kathleen want to live anymore?
(a) She can't trust anyone.
(b) She has too many bad memories.
(c) She's bored with the world.
(d) She's in too much pain.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Starbuck want to hide Mary Kathleen's identity?
2. Starbuck tells the harp salesman he is looking for a market for ______.
3. What was the weather like the night Sacco and Vanzetti were executed?
4. At Leen's apartment, what are Starbuck and his friends wondering?
5. What does the crowd watching the reunion encourage Starbuck to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Starbuck view his role in the universe?
2. What is rain supposed to symbolize in the Epilogue?
3. How far has Leland Clewes come since Starbuck last saw him?
4. What is ironic about Mary Kathleen's death?
5. How is Vonnegut invoking the senses of Starbuck's experience in his writing?
6. How does Leen feel about Mrs. Graham? How can you tell?
7. Is Starbuck's son actually the monster Starbuck claims him to be? Explain.
8. Were Mary Kathleen's dying wishes granted? How so?
9. Have Mary Kathleen, Clewes, and Starbuck moved past their ugly past?
10. How does Leen mistake Starbuck for Mrs. Graham?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)