|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the weather like on the night of the party?
2. What kind of positions are Starbuck and his friends offered at RAMJAC?
(d) Vice president.
3. Why did Mary Kathleen receive shock treatments?
(a) To cure her addictions.
(b) To punish her.
(c) To retrieve her memory.
(d) To cure her hallucinations.
4. What does the crowd watching the reunion encourage Starbuck to do?
(a) Embrace Mary Kathleen.
(b) Run away.
(c) Get her off the street.
(d) Give Mary Kathleen money.
5. What is the harp salesman calculating doing as he talks to Starbuck?
(a) Hugging him.
(b) Calling the police.
(c) Kicking Mary Kathleen out.
(d) Increasing prices.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Starbuck take from Mary Kathleen's belongings?
2. What does Mary Kathleen not remember?
3. What does Starbuck say to Clewes?
4. Why is the harp salesman upset with Mary Kathleen?
5. How are Mary Kathleen's final wishes not being met?
Short Essay Questions
1. As far as Starbuck knows, why are he and the other "saints" at Leen's apartment?
2. How is Vonnegut invoking the senses of Starbuck's experience in his writing?
3. How does Leen feel about Mrs. Graham? How can you tell?
4. What is rain supposed to symbolize in the Epilogue?
5. What is ironic about Mary Kathleen's death?
6. Why are Starbuck's reunions with Mary Kathleen and Clewes a climax of "Jailbird"?
7. Why does the harp salesman want to call the police on Starbuck?
8. Is Starbuck's son actually the monster Starbuck claims him to be? Explain.
9. Does Clewes accept Starbuck's apology? What is his response?
10. What did Starbuck's life with Ruth embody?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)