|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mary Kathleen takes Starbuck to the top of _______.
(a) The Chrysler Building.
(b) The World Trade Center.
(c) Her old apartment building.
(d) The Empire State Building.
2. Starbuck describes his office in the Nixon White House as a __________ cell.
3. Going to a diner, Starbuck is afraid that __________.
(a) Everyone will know about his past.
(b) The food will be bad.
(c) He won't know anyone.
(d) He won't be able to afford the bill.
4. Why does Leen wait on Starbuck so diligently?
(a) He is desperate for Mrs. Graham's approval.
(b) He knows she's in bad health.
(c) He doesn't want her to talk to anyone.
(d) He doesn't want to lose his job.
5. Clewes is now a _______ salesman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What party is being thrown in the Epilogue?
2. Why does Starbuck want to hide Mary Kathleen's identity?
3. Mary Kathleen calls the men who've helped Starbuck "_____."
4. How did all the current RAMJAC employees gain their positions?
5. What is Starbuck looking for as he wanders through the city?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why should Starbuck have gone to the police in Chapter 11?
2. Why are Starbuck's reunions with Mary Kathleen and Clewes a climax of "Jailbird"?
3. Does Clewes accept Starbuck's apology? What is his response?
4. Why does Starbuck give the paramedics Mary Kathleen's maiden name?
5. What does Mary Kathleen personify? What is Vonnegut saying?
6. Why does Starbuck face more jail time after Mary Kathleen's death?
7. To Mary Kathleen, why does Starbuck have a good heart?
8. How is Vonnegut invoking the senses of Starbuck's experience in his writing?
9. How does Starbuck view his role in the universe?
10. What is rain supposed to symbolize in the Epilogue?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)