|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Starbuck find clarinet parts?
(a) The lobby.
(b) His dresser.
(c) Under his bed.
(d) His suitcase.
2. Going to a diner, Starbuck is afraid that __________.
(a) He won't know anyone.
(b) The food will be bad.
(c) He won't be able to afford the bill.
(d) Everyone will know about his past.
3. Starbuck realizes the bag woman is " the ______ of Mary Kathleen O'Looney!"
4. What was the cause of Mary Kathleen's death?
(a) She was poisoned.
(c) Mr. Graham shot her.
(d) She was hit by a taxi.
5. What name did Starbuck give to the paramedics for Mary Kathleen?
Short Answer Questions
1. Starbuck describes his office in the Nixon White House as a __________ cell.
2. What did Starbuck take from Mary Kathleen's belongings?
3. What pleasant surprise does Starbuck have in the diner?
4. Before he ran RAMJAC, what did Jack Graham do?
5. Starbuck reads a ______ written by his son.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Mary Kathleen remember the bad things of Starbuck's life?
2. As far as Starbuck knows, why are he and the other "saints" at Leen's apartment?
3. Why are Starbuck's reunions with Mary Kathleen and Clewes a climax of "Jailbird"?
4. Does Mary Kathleen believe people are good? Why or why not?
5. Why does Starbuck cry when he sees Mary Kathleen?
6. Were Mary Kathleen's dying wishes granted? How so?
7. How is Vonnegut invoking the senses of Starbuck's experience in his writing?
8. Why should Starbuck have gone to the police in Chapter 11?
9. How does Starbuck view his role in the universe?
10. Is Starbuck's son actually the monster Starbuck claims him to be? Explain.
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)