|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much money did Starbuck have before he went to prison?
(a) A thousand dollars.
(b) A few hundred thousand dollars.
(c) A few cents.
(d) A million dollars.
2. For whom did Hapgood crusade?
(b) The disadvantaged.
(d) The elderly.
3. What does the maitre de at the Arapahoe wear on his lapel?
(a) A microphone.
(b) A name tag.
(c) A photo.
(d) A red ribbon.
4. On the cab ride back to Sarah's apartment, what does Starbuck do?
(c) Yells at her.
(d) Remains silent.
5. What prompts Starbuck to remember Sarah Wyatt?
(a) The streets at night.
(b) A woman in the lobby.
(c) Staying in New York.
(d) Taking the limo.
Short Answer Questions
1. Looking in the mirror in his new suit, Starbuck observes that he looks _____.
2. What is significant about Trout's name?
3. In college, how did Clewes betray Starbuck?
4. What was Hapgood's default defense for people?
5. Whom does Starbuck lavishly tip in front of Sarah?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Leen mistake Starbuck for Mrs. Graham?
2. What is the significance of "Kilgore Trout" being a pseudonym?
3. How is "a rich man's trash can" a symbol for Starbuck?
4. How does Starbuck's testimony reflect his life?
5. Does Mary Kathleen believe people are good? Why or why not?
6. How is the theme of interconnection displayed through Starbuck's narrative voice?
7. Is Starbuck's son actually the monster Starbuck claims him to be? Explain.
8. Why doesn't Mary Kathleen remember the bad things of Starbuck's life?
9. Does Clewes accept Starbuck's apology? What is his response?
10. How is Vonnegut invoking the senses of Starbuck's experience in his writing?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)