|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Starbuck realizes that by leaving prison he is rejoining _________.
(a) The world of crime.
(b) The fishbowl.
(c) The free enterprise system.
(d) The unbearable lightness of being.
2. Starbuck is narrating from _______ after his release.
(a) Two days.
(b) A year.
(c) A decade.
(d) Three years.
3. After their date, what happens to Sarah's and Starbuck's relationship?
(a) They stay good friends.
(b) The never speak to each other again.
(c) They get married.
(d) They stay together.
4. At the beginning of the prologue, "Kilgore Trout is ________."
(d) Back again.
5. Where does Starbuck's son work?
(a) The New York Times.
(b) A diner.
(c) The White House.
(d) Starbuck's corner store.
Short Answer Questions
1. Starbuck sees the Cuyahoga Massacre as a _______.
2. What was Vonnegut's relationship with Powers Hapgood?
3. McCone's father was a ______.
4. Vicuna is a metaphor for _______.
5. Why are the people of Vicuna leaving their planet?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the arrival of the famous prisoner tie together?
2. How is "a rich man's trash can" a symbol for Starbuck?
3. What effect do Starbuck's relationships have on him? What is he relationship with himself?
4. Why is Starbuck a socialist?
5. Is Starbuck's release from prison entering the new or returning to the old?
6. How is the theme of interconnection displayed through Starbuck's narrative voice?
7. How did Starbuck meet his wife, Ruth? Why was the beginning of their relationship rocky?
8. Did Ruth's prophesy about her son come true? What is the nature of Starbuck and Ruth's son?
9. How prevalent is "identity" in the Prologue? Why and how is it used?
10. How is "tension" a major theme in the Prologue?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)