|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Starbuck makes fun of Nixon for _________.
(a) His bad jokes.
(b) His weight problems.
(c) His bad pronunciation.
(d) How much he smokes.
2. Why aren't Clewes and Starbuck friends anymore?
(a) They drifted apart.
(b) Starbuck betrayed him.
(c) Clewes stole Starbuck's money.
(d) They had a fight.
3. Where does Starbuck's son work?
(a) The New York Times.
(b) The White House.
(c) A diner.
(d) Starbuck's corner store.
4. Why was Clewes sent to prison?
(a) He was a Communist.
(b) He killed someone.
(c) He sold government secrets.
(d) He robbed a bank.
5. On the cab ride back to Sarah's apartment, what does Starbuck do?
(c) Remains silent.
(d) Yells at her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Starbuck originally stay at the Hotel Arapahoe?
2. What does Carter admire about di Sanza?
3. On a date with Sarah, Starbuck takes her to an ______ restaurant.
4. What would have happened if Vonnegut had received the letter a few years earlier?
5. Vicuna is a metaphor for _______.
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Starbuck meet his wife, Ruth? Why was the beginning of their relationship rocky?
2. With Sarah, is Starbuck loving or courteous?
3. How is the theme of interconnection displayed through Starbuck's narrative voice?
4. How is "tension" a major theme in the Prologue?
5. Why does Starbuck cry in the cab home?
6. What are the degrees of separation between Sarah Wyatt and Mary Kathleen O'Looney in Chapter 9?
7. What does the arrival of the famous prisoner tie together?
8. Is an event's existence or its meaning more important to Starbuck? How?
9. Why does the red ribbon on Starbuck's suit cause trouble?
10. What does Starbuck's release from prison mark?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)