|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In college, how did Starbuck meet Clewes?
(a) They had a class together.
(b) They were on competing sports teams.
(c) They were roommates.
(d) Their parents were friends.
2. In prison, what did Larkin do?
(a) Wrote a book.
(b) Escaped several times.
(c) Became an evangelical Christian.
(d) Betrayed his friends.
3. For whom did Hapgood crusade?
(c) The elderly.
(d) The disadvantaged.
4. Starbuck is narrating from _______ after his release.
(a) Three years.
(b) A year.
(c) Two days.
(d) A decade.
5. What does Carter admire about di Sanza?
(a) His ability to get away with crime.
(b) His ease with making friends.
(c) His ability to make and save money.
(d) His writing skill.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Starbuck's relationship with Alexander Hamilton McCone?
2. In the letter Vonnegut receives, it reads: "_____ may fail."
3. How does Starbuck describe his son?
4. McCone's father was a ______.
5. Why did Starbuck originally stay at the Hotel Arapahoe?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is an event's existence or its meaning more important to Starbuck? How?
2. Did Ruth's prophesy about her son come true? What is the nature of Starbuck and Ruth's son?
3. Does Clewes accept Starbuck's apology? What is his response?
4. As far as Starbuck knows, why are he and the other "saints" at Leen's apartment?
5. Is Starbuck's son actually the monster Starbuck claims him to be? Explain.
6. What is the significance of "Kilgore Trout" being a pseudonym?
7. Why does the harp salesman want to call the police on Starbuck?
8. Why does Starbuck give the paramedics Mary Kathleen's maiden name?
9. What was the nature of Starbuck's relationship with Nixon?
10. Why are Starbuck's reunions with Mary Kathleen and Clewes a climax of "Jailbird"?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)