|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Sarah's family painted their clocks with _______.
(a) Wood stain.
(b) Black paint.
(d) Water color.
2. What was Hapgood's default defense for people?
(a) "The Sermon on the Mount."
(b) To threaten.
(c) To write a scathing article.
(d) To mock them.
3. Larkin teases Starbuck about his lack of what?
4. What did Hapgood do for Sacco and Vanzetti?
(a) Post bail.
(c) Send food.
(d) Defend in court.
5. Why was Ruth reserved about relationships?
(a) She'd read too many romance novels.
(b) She'd been divorced before.
(c) Her parents were unhappy.
(d) She was disillusioned with humanity.
6. A Frenchman at the airport is angry because of the ________ on Starbuck's suit.
(b) Name tag.
(c) Red ribbon.
7. What did Starbuck's son change his name to?
(a) His wife's name.
(b) Back to the original Polish.
(c) His mother's maiden name.
(d) A fake name.
8. What would have happened if Vonnegut had received the letter a few years earlier?
(a) He would have written back.
(b) He would have had children.
(c) He wouldn't have written his books.
(d) He would have chosen a different career.
9. What is significant about Trout's name?
(a) It's Starbuck's mother's.
(b) It's a pseudonym.
(c) It's catchy.
(d) It's Vonnegut's real name.
10. Aside from his wives and girlfriends, who is the fourth woman Starbuck ever loved?
(a) His teacher.
(b) His prison guard.
(c) His mother.
(d) His nanny.
11. Sarah's family wanted their clocks to be readable ______.
(a) To blind people.
(b) In the dark.
(d) In code.
12. How does Starbuck describe his son?
(a) A great athlete.
(b) A short idiot.
(c) A prolific writer.
(d) An unpleasant person.
13. Starbuck is trying to clear his mind of _____________.
(a) His guilt-ridden past.
14. How did Starbuck lose all his money?
(a) He made a bad investment.
(b) He gambled it away.
(c) He gave it away.
(d) It was taken as evidence.
15. When Starbuck met Ruth, what was she?
(a) A waitress.
(b) A concentration camp refugee.
(c) A war veteran.
(d) A former model.
Short Answer Questions
1. In college, how did Starbuck meet Clewes?
2. In the letter Vonnegut receives, it reads: "_______ will prevail."
3. What is the last, ironic word of Chapter 6?
4. What is Starbuck waiting for in the prison yard?
5. Why was Clewes sent to prison?
This section contains 389 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)