|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the surgeon who reminds Jesse that he will put money into a savings account for any man that requests it?
2. While traveling home from prayer meeting, renegades stop Alexander's buggy. What do they tell the Danzinger boy who is traveling with him?
(a) That they know he is a spy for the Confederate Army.
(b) That they know he is a spy for the Union Army.
(c) That they know his father to be a spy for the Union Army.
(d) That they know his father to be a spy for the Confederate Army.
3. What is Alexander's explanation for why he is a member of the renegade group?
(a) He says he was not "an honest man."
(b) He says he was "trying to fight for the right side."
(c) He says he was "an honest man."
(d) He says he was "trying to redeem himself."
4. Which of Marguerite's servants is pregnant?
5. In Part IV, Chapter 52, whom does Jesse and his company see coming down the road?
(a) Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson.
(b) Robert E. Lee.
(c) Ulysses S Grant.
(d) Abraham Lincoln.
6. What does Duncan help Jesse do after they spend the night talking in an abandoned house?
(a) Escape back to his regiment.
(b) Escape back to the Stratford Plantation.
(c) Escape back through the Union lines.
(d) Escape back through the Confederate lines.
7. Whom does Alexander Kirkpatrick's wife hesitate to visit but eventually goes to see in Part III, Chapter 39?
8. What happens to the surgeon who cut off the head of a black soldier and autopsied it?
(a) He is sentenced to death.
(b) He is discharged from the army for his actions.
(c) He does not get in trouble.
(d) He is put in jail.
9. What arrives on the train that has the men disappointed that they draw lots for?
(a) A jug of beer.
(b) A single basket of food.
(c) A couple shirts.
(d) A couple gallons of water.
10. What is the name of Silas's crew of blockade-runners?
(a) The Crazy Perry.
(b) The Wild Darrell.
(c) The Wild Farrell.
(d) The Crazy Harry.
11. After arriving in Analaston Island, District of Columbia, what does Jesse set the men immediately to work on?
(a) Finding food.
(b) Guard watch.
(c) Building a fort.
(d) Making the barracks livable.
12. Where is Duncan staying at the beginning of Part IV, Chapter 60?
(a) A military institution in Virginia.
(b) Uther Botkin's place.
(c) Stratford Plantation.
(d) A hospital in South Carolina.
13. What does Alexander's leader tell him to do when the person stumbles into their camp in Part IV, Chapter 54?
(a) He tells Alexander to tie the boy up and take him as their prisoner.
(b) He tells Alexander not to lay a hand on the boy.
(c) He tells Alexander not to lay a hand on the girl.
(d) He tells Alexander to shoot the runaway slave.
14. What does Jesse say that the "colored troops broke ranks" for when they see the man coming down the road in Part IV, Chapter 52?
(a) They run to Ulysses S Grant, touching his clothing and even his horse with great reverence.
(b) They run to Robert E. Lee, touching his clothing and even his horse with great reverence.
(c) They run to Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson, touching his clothing and even his horse with great reverence.
(d) They run to Lincoln, touching his clothing and even his horse with great reverence.
15. What did Uther teach Duncan and Jesse to do in their youth?
(c) Plow a field.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Silas's ship that he is awaiting the arrival of in Part IV, Chapter 53?
2. How old is the newspaper that Jesse reads to his men about the Gettysburg Address?
3. What do the Union soldiers take from Marguerite and her servants as they are preparing to leave the city?
4. What is the name of Jesse's Captain in the army?
5. Why is Catesby's son not a help to his family?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)