|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Jesse teaching to others in the army before he hears men singing?
2. How old is the newspaper that Jesse reads to his men about the Gettysburg Address?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) One week.
(c) Two days.
(d) Four days.
3. Who stumbles into Alexander's camp in Part IV, Chapter 54?
(a) A young Confederate soldier.
(b) A runaway male slave.
(c) A runaway female slave.
(d) A young Union soldier.
4. What does the young Danzinger boy ask Alexander to do for him after it becomes evident the renegades are going to kill him?
(a) He asks him to tell his sweetheart, Ally, that he loves her.
(b) He asks him please to watch over his family for him.
(c) He asks him to please find his father and tell him to go home.
(d) He asks him to tell his family that he loves them and that his younger brother will have to take over as man of the house.
5. Where is Duncan staying at the beginning of Part IV, Chapter 60?
(a) Uther Botkin's place.
(b) A hospital in South Carolina.
(c) Stratford Plantation.
(d) A military institution in Virginia.
6. What does Jesse think about the man that he sees coming down the road in Part IV, Chapter 52?
(a) He thinks he has a funny beard.
(b) He does not sit well in a saddle.
(c) He is amazed that he gets to see him in person.
(d) He wishes he could talk to him.
7. What is the name of Silas's ship that he is awaiting the arrival of in Part IV, Chapter 53?
(a) Crazy Harry.
(b) Silly Sally.
(c) Wild Darrell.
(d) Funny Farrell.
8. What do the Union soldiers tell Marguerite's servants after besetting them on the road?
(a) That they should head to Mexico.
(b) That they had better turn around and go the other way.
(c) That they are eventually going to die.
(d) That they can come with them.
9. What is the name of Duncan's childhood servant who used to light the fire in his room?
10. What are Jesse and a group of black men, mostly former slaves, building in Washington?
(a) A bridge.
(b) A fort.
(d) A hospital.
11. What is the name of Catesby's daughter?
12. What does Jesse believe will be important for the success of his race?
(a) Hard work.
13. What lesson did Jesse learn growing up that Duncan did not have to learn?
(a) When and how to keep his mouth shut.
(b) To work hard.
(c) How to survive on very little food.
(d) How to make his own clothes.
14. Duncan tells his sister about the Union and Confederate troops camping so near each other that the music from the Union camp could be heard clearly. What song do the Union musicians play at the Confederate troops' request?
(a) Southern Wagon.
(b) Bonnie Blue Flag.
(c) Here's Your Mule.
15. What does a recruiter for the army say to Jesse and the men working alongside him in Washington that they do not care for?
(a) That they should join the army or become slaves again.
(b) That they should join the army for vengeance against the Confederates.
(c) That they must join the army or starve to death.
(d) That they are not good enough to join the army, but they will take them anyway.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Catesby involved in a terrible battle in Part IV, Chapter 47?
2. The work Alexander Kirkpatrick's wife does at the hospital is trying until she realizes the truth of her cousin's attitude. What does she realize?
3. Where are Marguerite and her servants preparing to leave when they are beset by Union soldiers on the road?
4. What arrives on the train that has the men disappointed that they draw lots for?
5. What is the name of the surgeon who cut off the head of a black soldier and autopsied it?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)