|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Silas warn Marguerite about before he leaves to become a solider in the Confederate Army?
(a) About where she will run if Wilmington falls to the Union.
(b) About where she will run if Richmond falls to the Union.
(c) About where she will run if Charleston falls to the Union.
(d) About where she will run if Lexington falls to the Union.
2. How old is the newspaper that Jesse reads to his men about the Gettysburg Address?
(a) Two days.
(b) Four days.
(c) One week.
(d) Two weeks.
3. Which of Marguerite's servants is pregnant?
4. Where is Silas killed?
5. Duncan is somewhat annoyed by the Confederate President at the event. What does he ask him?
(a) Why the men are fed so much better in the hospital than on the field.
(b) Why the war had to happen.
(c) Why the men are clothed so much better in the hospital than on the field.
(d) When the fighting will stop.
6. Whom does Alexander Kirkpatrick's wife hesitate to visit but eventually goes to see in Part III, Chapter 39?
7. What does Alexander seem to be almost proud of at the end of Part IV, Chapter 59?
(a) His horse.
(b) His friends.
(c) His family.
(d) His crimes.
8. How is Catesby killed in battle?
(a) He is shot several times in the chest.
(b) He is shot in the head.
(c) He takes his own life.
(d) He is stabbed in the stomach.
9. What does Jesse believe will be important for the success of his race?
(c) Hard work.
10. What does Silas promise to Marguerite before he leaves to become a solider in the Confederate Army?
(a) That they will have another child.
(b) To become a better father and husband when he returns.
(c) That he will be the best solider he can be.
(d) None of the answers is correct.
11. While traveling home from prayer meeting, renegades stop Alexander's buggy. What do they tell the Danzinger boy who is traveling with him?
(a) That they know his father to be a spy for the Union Army.
(b) That they know he is a spy for the Confederate Army.
(c) That they know he is a spy for the Union Army.
(d) That they know his father to be a spy for the Confederate Army.
12. Where are Marguerite and her servants preparing to leave when they are beset by Union soldiers on the road?
13. What is Alexander's explanation for why he is a member of the renegade group?
(a) He says he was not "an honest man."
(b) He says he was "trying to redeem himself."
(c) He says he was "an honest man."
(d) He says he was "trying to fight for the right side."
14. What is the name of Silas's crew of blockade-runners?
(a) The Crazy Perry.
(b) The Wild Farrell.
(c) The Wild Darrell.
(d) The Crazy Harry.
15. Duncan tells his sister about the Union and Confederate troops camping so near each other that the music from the Union camp could be heard clearly. What song do the Union musicians play at the Confederate troops' request?
(a) Bonnie Blue Flag.
(c) Southern Wagon.
(d) Here's Your Mule.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marguerite tell her remaining servant after the other servant leaves them on the road in Part IV, Chapter 62?
2. What is the name of Duncan's childhood servant who used to light the fire in his room?
3. What happens to the surgeon who cut off the head of a black soldier and autopsied it?
4. Who is Duncan afraid has bewitched him?
5. Who stumbles into Alexander's camp in Part IV, Chapter 54?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)