|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who has died in Part IV, Chapter 60, that the grandmother continually prayers about?
2. What does Marguerite tell her remaining servant after the other servant leaves them on the road in Part IV, Chapter 62?
(a) That it's not worth crying over a man like Manny.
(b) That it's not worth crying over a woman like Karla.
(c) That it's not worth crying over a man like Mingo.
(d) That it's not worth crying over a woman like Kizzy.
3. Where are Marguerite and her servants preparing to leave when they are beset by Union soldiers on the road?
4. What does Catesby say to a fellow soldier right before he dies?
(a) "I will not give up fighting until every man and boy is dead."
(b) Georgians will not give up fighting until every man and boy is dead."
(c) "Virginians would fight until every man and boy was dead."
(d) "The Union soldiers will not give up fighting until every man and boy is dead."
5. What does Marguerite invite the girl that is interviewing her to at her home that night?
(a) Her anniversary party.
(b) Her son's birthday party.
(c) Her birthday party.
(d) Her New Year's Eve party.
6. What does a recruiter for the army say to Jesse and the men working alongside him in Washington that they do not care for?
(a) That they should join the army for vengeance against the Confederates.
(b) That they are not good enough to join the army, but they will take them anyway.
(c) That they should join the army or become slaves again.
(d) That they must join the army or starve to death.
7. What are the names of Marguerite's servants, who were former slaves?
(a) Kizzy and Martha.
(b) Karla and Manny.
(c) Kizzy and Mingo.
(d) Karla and Mingo.
8. While awaiting the arrival of his ship, why has Silas begun to be angry about Marguerite?
(a) She is flirting with a lot of his men.
(b) He does not like her son Jacob.
(c) He has begun to be angry about Marguerite's insistence that she remain away from society as much as possible.
(d) He has begun to be angry about Marguerite's attitude about his long hours at work.
9. Why is Silas in the Confederate Army in Part IV, Chapter 61?
(a) He volunteered.
(b) He was drafted.
(c) Maggie wanted him too.
(d) He was forced; they would have killed him if he did not join.
10. At the beginning of Part IV, Chapter 51, what are Abigail and Opal planting at the plantation?
11. What lesson did Jesse learn growing up that Duncan did not have to learn?
(a) How to survive on very little food.
(b) How to make his own clothes.
(c) When and how to keep his mouth shut.
(d) To work hard.
12. What does Marguerite think her children are going to try to get her to sell while they are visiting?
(a) Her house.
(b) Her jewelry.
(c) Her story to another newspaper.
(d) The bank.
13. What does Catesby save from his holiday dinner to share with his bunkmate?
(a) A piece of bread.
(b) A piece of cake.
(c) A piece of ham.
(d) A piece of bacon.
14. What is Alexander's explanation for why he is a member of the renegade group?
(a) He says he was not "an honest man."
(b) He says he was "trying to redeem himself."
(c) He says he was "an honest man."
(d) He says he was "trying to fight for the right side."
15. What does Duncan say will happen to the people of Virginia if the state falls?
(a) They will be "a pathetic group of people."
(b) They will be "a demolished people."
(c) They will be "a beaten people."
(d) They will be "a conquered people."
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catesby's daughter say her mother spends her time doing now that her father is dead?
2. What does Jesse say that the "colored troops broke ranks" for when they see the man coming down the road in Part IV, Chapter 52?
3. Who agrees to marry Duncan while visiting his old home?
4. What is the Confederate President's answer to Duncan's question at the event?
5. What is the name of Duncan's childhood servant who used to light the fire in his room?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)