|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Confederate President's answer to Duncan's question at the event?
(a) The wounded men are fed better so they will heal quickly and return to the field.
(b) The wounded are clothed better so infection will not spread.
(c) The fighting will stop when they have won.
(d) The war happened because the Union is evil.
2. What is the name of Catesby's bunkmate in Part III, Chapter 42?
(a) Private Randall.
(b) Private Mitchell.
(c) Private Russell.
(d) Private Mark.
3. How old is the newspaper that Jesse reads to his men about the Gettysburg Address?
(a) Four days.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) One week.
(d) Two days.
4. What is Jesse teaching to others in the army before he hears men singing?
5. Whom does Alexander Kirkpatrick's wife hesitate to visit but eventually goes to see in Part III, Chapter 39?
6. What is the name of the surgeon who cut off the head of a black soldier and autopsied it?
7. In Part IV, Chapter 52, whom does Jesse and his company see coming down the road?
(a) Ulysses S Grant.
(b) Abraham Lincoln.
(c) Robert E. Lee.
(d) Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson.
8. Why is Catesby's son not a help to his family?
(a) He is sick a lot.
(b) He is selfish and wants nothing to do with his family.
(c) He is crippled.
(d) He is flighty and unwilling to help unless the mood strikes him.
9. What has Catesby become now that he has "renounced his previous sinful ways"?
(a) A Christian.
(b) A Baptist.
(c) A Lutheran.
(d) A Protestant.
10. Who shoots the young Danzinger boy?
(b) One of the Union renegades.
(c) One of the Union soldiers.
(d) One of the Confederate renegades.
11. What lesson did Jesse learn growing up that Duncan did not have to learn?
(a) How to survive on very little food.
(b) To work hard.
(c) How to make his own clothes.
(d) When and how to keep his mouth shut.
12. What does the young Danzinger boy ask Alexander to do for him after it becomes evident the renegades are going to kill him?
(a) He asks him to tell his family that he loves them and that his younger brother will have to take over as man of the house.
(b) He asks him to please find his father and tell him to go home.
(c) He asks him please to watch over his family for him.
(d) He asks him to tell his sweetheart, Ally, that he loves her.
13. Who agrees to marry Duncan while visiting his old home?
14. At the beginning of Part IV, Chapter 51, what are Abigail and Opal planting at the plantation?
15. While traveling home from prayer meeting, renegades stop Alexander's buggy. What do they tell the Danzinger boy who is traveling with him?
(a) That they know his father to be a spy for the Confederate Army.
(b) That they know he is a spy for the Confederate Army.
(c) That they know his father to be a spy for the Union Army.
(d) That they know he is a spy for the Union Army.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Alexander seem to be almost proud of at the end of Part IV, Chapter 59?
2. What happens to Alexander and the group of renegades in Part IV, Chapter 59?
3. The work Alexander Kirkpatrick's wife does at the hospital is trying until she realizes the truth of her cousin's attitude. What does she realize?
4. Why is Silas in the Confederate Army in Part IV, Chapter 61?
5. What is the name of Duncan's childhood servant who used to light the fire in his room?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)