|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Catesby writes a letter to his wife. Whom does he urge her to keep an eye on?
2. What does Jesse think about the man that he sees coming down the road in Part IV, Chapter 52?
(a) He is amazed that he gets to see him in person.
(b) He wishes he could talk to him.
(c) He thinks he has a funny beard.
(d) He does not sit well in a saddle.
3. What happens to the surgeon who cut off the head of a black soldier and autopsied it?
(a) He is put in jail.
(b) He is discharged from the army for his actions.
(c) He does not get in trouble.
(d) He is sentenced to death.
4. What does Duncan help Jesse do after they spend the night talking in an abandoned house?
(a) Escape back to the Stratford Plantation.
(b) Escape back to his regiment.
(c) Escape back through the Union lines.
(d) Escape back through the Confederate lines.
5. Whom does Duncan see at an event he attends that he manages a private conversation with in Part III, Chapter 43?
6. What is the name of Jesse's Captain in the army?
(a) Captain Farley.
(b) Captain Fessenden.
(c) Captain Fessler.
(d) Captain Firestone.
7. While awaiting the arrival of his ship, why has Silas begun to be angry about Marguerite?
(a) He does not like her son Jacob.
(b) She is flirting with a lot of his men.
(c) He has begun to be angry about Marguerite's insistence that she remain away from society as much as possible.
(d) He has begun to be angry about Marguerite's attitude about his long hours at work.
8. What arrives on the train that has the men disappointed that they draw lots for?
(a) A couple gallons of water.
(b) A single basket of food.
(c) A jug of beer.
(d) A couple shirts.
9. What does Catesby say to a fellow soldier right before he dies?
(a) "I will not give up fighting until every man and boy is dead."
(b) "Virginians would fight until every man and boy was dead."
(c) Georgians will not give up fighting until every man and boy is dead."
(d) "The Union soldiers will not give up fighting until every man and boy is dead."
10. What does Jesse believe will be important for the success of his race?
(b) Hard work.
11. What is the Confederate President's answer to Duncan's question at the event?
(a) The fighting will stop when they have won.
(b) The wounded men are fed better so they will heal quickly and return to the field.
(c) The wounded are clothed better so infection will not spread.
(d) The war happened because the Union is evil.
12. Where are Marguerite and her servants preparing to leave when they are beset by Union soldiers on the road?
13. What does Duncan say will happen to the people of Virginia if the state falls?
(a) They will be "a pathetic group of people."
(b) They will be "a conquered people."
(c) They will be "a demolished people."
(d) They will be "a beaten people."
14. What happens to Alexander and the group of renegades in Part IV, Chapter 59?
(a) They escape into the forest and decide to live there.
(b) They capture several Union soldiers.
(c) They are captured and several of them are killed.
(d) They surrender to the enemy.
15. What has Catesby become now that he has "renounced his previous sinful ways"?
(a) A Christian.
(b) A Protestant.
(c) A Lutheran.
(d) A Baptist.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Alexander seem to be almost proud of at the end of Part IV, Chapter 59?
2. Who is Duncan afraid has bewitched him?
3. What do the Union soldiers tell Marguerite's servants after besetting them on the road?
4. Where is Catesby involved in a terrible battle in Part IV, Chapter 47?
5. What do the Union soldiers take from Marguerite and her servants as they are preparing to leave the city?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)