|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Duncan see at an event he attends that he manages a private conversation with in Part III, Chapter 43?
2. Why is Catesby's son not a help to his family?
(a) He is sick a lot.
(b) He is flighty and unwilling to help unless the mood strikes him.
(c) He is crippled.
(d) He is selfish and wants nothing to do with his family.
3. What does Marguerite invite the girl that is interviewing her to at her home that night?
(a) Her son's birthday party.
(b) Her birthday party.
(c) Her New Year's Eve party.
(d) Her anniversary party.
4. What happens to Jesse and several other black soldiers after they are captured by the Confederates in Part IV, Chapter 56?
(a) They are beaten and shackled.
(b) They are sent directly to prison.
(c) They release them with a warning to return home.
(d) The men are being released to former masters, providing those masters want to take them, or they go to jail.
5. Catesby writes a letter to his wife. Whom does he urge her to keep an eye on?
6. What does Catesby save from his holiday dinner to share with his bunkmate?
(a) A piece of bread.
(b) A piece of bacon.
(c) A piece of cake.
(d) A piece of ham.
7. What does Catesby say to a fellow soldier right before he dies?
(a) "I will not give up fighting until every man and boy is dead."
(b) Georgians will not give up fighting until every man and boy is dead."
(c) "Virginians would fight until every man and boy was dead."
(d) "The Union soldiers will not give up fighting until every man and boy is dead."
8. Where is Duncan staying at the beginning of Part IV, Chapter 60?
(a) A military institution in Virginia.
(b) A hospital in South Carolina.
(c) Uther Botkin's place.
(d) Stratford Plantation.
9. What does a recruiter for the army say to Jesse and the men working alongside him in Washington that they do not care for?
(a) That they should join the army or become slaves again.
(b) That they are not good enough to join the army, but they will take them anyway.
(c) That they must join the army or starve to death.
(d) That they should join the army for vengeance against the Confederates.
10. What does the young Danzinger boy ask Alexander to do for him after it becomes evident the renegades are going to kill him?
(a) He asks him to tell his sweetheart, Ally, that he loves her.
(b) He asks him please to watch over his family for him.
(c) He asks him to please find his father and tell him to go home.
(d) He asks him to tell his family that he loves them and that his younger brother will have to take over as man of the house.
11. After arriving in Analaston Island, District of Columbia, what does Jesse set the men immediately to work on?
(a) Making the barracks livable.
(b) Finding food.
(c) Building a fort.
(d) Guard watch.
12. After saying some things that Jesse and the men working alongside him in Washington do not like, what does the recruiter say that gains Jesse's attention?
(a) He says that they will be paid to be soldiers.
(b) He says that Lincoln is the reason that blacks are free to make a choice for themselves.
(c) He says that white men are better soldiers.
(d) He says that they have to decide for themselves what to fight for.
13. What does Jesse believe will be important for the success of his race?
(c) Hard work.
14. After finally leaving the hospital, what Confederate President do Duncan and his sister meet at an event?
(a) Confederate President Davis.
(b) Confederate President Barker.
(c) Confederate President David.
(d) Confederate President Blackburn.
15. What is the name of the surgeon who cut off the head of a black soldier and autopsied it?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Silas warn Marguerite about before he leaves to become a solider in the Confederate Army?
2. What are the names of Marguerite's servants, who were former slaves?
3. How does Silas describe the conditions in the Confederate Army?
4. What does Duncan never wear now that he has lost his arm?
5. Duncan tells his sister about the Union and Confederate troops camping so near each other that the music from the Union camp could be heard clearly. What song do the Union musicians play at the Confederate troops' request?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)