|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Duncan staying at the beginning of Part IV, Chapter 60?
(a) A military institution in Virginia.
(b) Uther Botkin's place.
(c) Stratford Plantation.
(d) A hospital in South Carolina.
2. Who has died in Part IV, Chapter 60, that the grandmother continually prayers about?
3. What does Jesse believe will be important for the success of his race?
(d) Hard work.
4. Whom does Duncan see at an event he attends that he manages a private conversation with in Part III, Chapter 43?
5. Who stumbles into Alexander's camp in Part IV, Chapter 54?
(a) A young Union soldier.
(b) A runaway male slave.
(c) A young Confederate soldier.
(d) A runaway female slave.
6. After one of her servants leaves her on the road, what does Marguerite use to carry a small ham and some other small belongings?
(a) A handbag.
(b) A sling.
(c) A suitcase.
(d) A small cart.
7. What is Alexander's explanation for why he is a member of the renegade group?
(a) He says he was "an honest man."
(b) He says he was "trying to redeem himself."
(c) He says he was "trying to fight for the right side."
(d) He says he was not "an honest man."
8. What does Marguerite think her children are going to try to get her to sell while they are visiting?
(a) Her story to another newspaper.
(b) Her jewelry.
(c) The bank.
(d) Her house.
9. What does Duncan help Jesse do after they spend the night talking in an abandoned house?
(a) Escape back to his regiment.
(b) Escape back to the Stratford Plantation.
(c) Escape back through the Confederate lines.
(d) Escape back through the Union lines.
10. While awaiting the arrival of his ship, why has Silas begun to be angry about Marguerite?
(a) She is flirting with a lot of his men.
(b) He has begun to be angry about Marguerite's attitude about his long hours at work.
(c) He does not like her son Jacob.
(d) He has begun to be angry about Marguerite's insistence that she remain away from society as much as possible.
11. At the beginning of Part III, Chapter 37, who are washing the corpse of Uther Botkin?
(a) Opal and Franky.
(b) Anna and Jesse.
(c) Susie and Jack.
(d) Martha and Jacob.
12. Where does Duncan return to two days after Christmas in Part IV, Chapter 60?
13. What does Marguerite tell her remaining servant after the other servant leaves them on the road in Part IV, Chapter 62?
(a) That it's not worth crying over a woman like Karla.
(b) That it's not worth crying over a woman like Kizzy.
(c) That it's not worth crying over a man like Manny.
(d) That it's not worth crying over a man like Mingo.
14. What does Silas promise to Marguerite before he leaves to become a solider in the Confederate Army?
(a) To become a better father and husband when he returns.
(b) That he will be the best solider he can be.
(c) That they will have another child.
(d) None of the answers is correct.
15. Where is Silas killed?
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Jesse and a group of black men, mostly former slaves, building in Washington?
2. How does Jesse feel about giving his money to the surgeon, who says he will put it into a savings account?
3. Where is Catesby involved in a terrible battle in Part IV, Chapter 47?
4. What is the name of Catesby's bunkmate in Part III, Chapter 42?
5. What has Catesby become now that he has "renounced his previous sinful ways"?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)