|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Duncan is somewhat annoyed by the Confederate President at the event. What does he ask him?
(a) When the fighting will stop.
(b) Why the men are clothed so much better in the hospital than on the field.
(c) Why the men are fed so much better in the hospital than on the field.
(d) Why the war had to happen.
2. Where is Silas killed?
3. What is the name of Silas's ship that he is awaiting the arrival of in Part IV, Chapter 53?
(a) Crazy Harry.
(b) Funny Farrell.
(c) Silly Sally.
(d) Wild Darrell.
4. Where are Marguerite and her servants preparing to leave when they are beset by Union soldiers on the road?
5. What is Jesse teaching to others in the army before he hears men singing?
6. After arriving in Analaston Island, District of Columbia, what does Jesse set the men immediately to work on?
(a) Guard watch.
(b) Finding food.
(c) Making the barracks livable.
(d) Building a fort.
7. After one of her servants leaves her on the road, what does Marguerite use to carry a small ham and some other small belongings?
(a) A handbag.
(b) A small cart.
(c) A suitcase.
(d) A sling.
8. What does Duncan help Jesse do after they spend the night talking in an abandoned house?
(a) Escape back to his regiment.
(b) Escape back to the Stratford Plantation.
(c) Escape back through the Confederate lines.
(d) Escape back through the Union lines.
9. How does Silas describe the conditions in the Confederate Army?
10. Who stumbles into Alexander's camp in Part IV, Chapter 54?
(a) A runaway male slave.
(b) A runaway female slave.
(c) A young Union soldier.
(d) A young Confederate soldier.
11. What is supposed to arrive via rail the day of the holiday in Part III, Chapter 42, which has the men so excited?
12. After saying some things that Jesse and the men working alongside him in Washington do not like, what does the recruiter say that gains Jesse's attention?
(a) He says that white men are better soldiers.
(b) He says that they will be paid to be soldiers.
(c) He says that Lincoln is the reason that blacks are free to make a choice for themselves.
(d) He says that they have to decide for themselves what to fight for.
13. Catesby writes a letter to his wife. Whom does he urge her to keep an eye on?
14. What is the name of the surgeon who cut off the head of a black soldier and autopsied it?
15. While awaiting the arrival of his ship, why has Silas begun to be angry about Marguerite?
(a) He does not like her son Jacob.
(b) He has begun to be angry about Marguerite's insistence that she remain away from society as much as possible.
(c) She is flirting with a lot of his men.
(d) He has begun to be angry about Marguerite's attitude about his long hours at work.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is the newspaper that Jesse reads to his men about the Gettysburg Address?
2. What does Marguerite invite the girl that is interviewing her to at her home that night?
3. What holiday are Catesby and his fellow soldiers celebrating that they attend a prayer meeting?
4. What does Silas promise to Marguerite before he leaves to become a solider in the Confederate Army?
5. The work Alexander Kirkpatrick's wife does at the hospital is trying until she realizes the truth of her cousin's attitude. What does she realize?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)