|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Catesby killed in battle?
(a) He is stabbed in the stomach.
(b) He is shot in the head.
(c) He is shot several times in the chest.
(d) He takes his own life.
2. What are Jesse and a group of black men, mostly former slaves, building in Washington?
(a) A bridge.
(b) A hospital.
(d) A fort.
3. Why is Catesby's son not a help to his family?
(a) He is selfish and wants nothing to do with his family.
(b) He is sick a lot.
(c) He is crippled.
(d) He is flighty and unwilling to help unless the mood strikes him.
4. What does Jesse believe will be important for the success of his race?
(b) Hard work.
5. What happens to the surgeon who cut off the head of a black soldier and autopsied it?
(a) He does not get in trouble.
(b) He is put in jail.
(c) He is discharged from the army for his actions.
(d) He is sentenced to death.
6. While traveling home from prayer meeting, renegades stop Alexander's buggy. What do they tell the Danzinger boy who is traveling with him?
(a) That they know his father to be a spy for the Union Army.
(b) That they know his father to be a spy for the Confederate Army.
(c) That they know he is a spy for the Confederate Army.
(d) That they know he is a spy for the Union Army.
7. What is the name of Silas's crew of blockade-runners?
(a) The Wild Darrell.
(b) The Crazy Perry.
(c) The Crazy Harry.
(d) The Wild Farrell.
8. After one of her servants leaves her on the road, what does Marguerite use to carry a small ham and some other small belongings?
(a) A handbag.
(b) A suitcase.
(c) A small cart.
(d) A sling.
9. What does Jesse say that the "colored troops broke ranks" for when they see the man coming down the road in Part IV, Chapter 52?
(a) They run to Robert E. Lee, touching his clothing and even his horse with great reverence.
(b) They run to Ulysses S Grant, touching his clothing and even his horse with great reverence.
(c) They run to Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson, touching his clothing and even his horse with great reverence.
(d) They run to Lincoln, touching his clothing and even his horse with great reverence.
10. What is Alexander's explanation for why he is a member of the renegade group?
(a) He says he was not "an honest man."
(b) He says he was "trying to redeem himself."
(c) He says he was "trying to fight for the right side."
(d) He says he was "an honest man."
11. At the beginning of Part IV, Chapter 51, what are Abigail and Opal planting at the plantation?
12. In Part IV, Chapter 63, Sallie writes a letter describing her wedding. To whom does she write her letter?
13. Who stumbles into Alexander's camp in Part IV, Chapter 54?
(a) A runaway female slave.
(b) A young Confederate soldier.
(c) A runaway male slave.
(d) A young Union soldier.
14. What did Uther teach Duncan and Jesse to do in their youth?
(a) Plow a field.
15. What is the name of the surgeon who cut off the head of a black soldier and autopsied it?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Duncan help Jesse do after they spend the night talking in an abandoned house?
2. What happens to Jesse and several other black soldiers after they are captured by the Confederates in Part IV, Chapter 56?
3. What is Jesse teaching to others in the army before he hears men singing?
4. After arriving in Analaston Island, District of Columbia, what does Jesse set the men immediately to work on?
5. At the beginning of Part III, Chapter 37, who are washing the corpse of Uther Botkin?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)