|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Catesby save from his holiday dinner to share with his bunkmate?
(a) A piece of bread.
(b) A piece of cake.
(c) A piece of bacon.
(d) A piece of ham.
2. What does Duncan say will happen to the people of Virginia if the state falls?
(a) They will be "a beaten people."
(b) They will be "a conquered people."
(c) They will be "a demolished people."
(d) They will be "a pathetic group of people."
3. What holiday are Catesby and his fellow soldiers celebrating that they attend a prayer meeting?
(b) 4th of July.
(d) New Years Eve.
4. Where does Duncan return to two days after Christmas in Part IV, Chapter 60?
5. Where is Catesby involved in a terrible battle in Part IV, Chapter 47?
(a) Near the Lexington school house in Virginia.
(b) Near Spotsylvania Courthouse, Virginia.
(c) Atlanta, Georgia.
(d) Charleston, South Carolina.
6. After arriving in Analaston Island, District of Columbia, what does Jesse set the men immediately to work on?
(a) Building a fort.
(b) Finding food.
(c) Making the barracks livable.
(d) Guard watch.
7. While traveling home from prayer meeting, renegades stop Alexander's buggy. What do they tell the Danzinger boy who is traveling with him?
(a) That they know he is a spy for the Confederate Army.
(b) That they know he is a spy for the Union Army.
(c) That they know his father to be a spy for the Confederate Army.
(d) That they know his father to be a spy for the Union Army.
8. What does Jesse say that the "colored troops broke ranks" for when they see the man coming down the road in Part IV, Chapter 52?
(a) They run to Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson, touching his clothing and even his horse with great reverence.
(b) They run to Ulysses S Grant, touching his clothing and even his horse with great reverence.
(c) They run to Lincoln, touching his clothing and even his horse with great reverence.
(d) They run to Robert E. Lee, touching his clothing and even his horse with great reverence.
9. What is the name of the surgeon who reminds Jesse that he will put money into a savings account for any man that requests it?
10. How is Catesby killed in battle?
(a) He is shot several times in the chest.
(b) He takes his own life.
(c) He is stabbed in the stomach.
(d) He is shot in the head.
11. What is supposed to arrive via rail the day of the holiday in Part III, Chapter 42, which has the men so excited?
12. Where is Duncan staying at the beginning of Part IV, Chapter 60?
(a) A hospital in South Carolina.
(b) Stratford Plantation.
(c) A military institution in Virginia.
(d) Uther Botkin's place.
13. What does Marguerite think her children are going to try to get her to sell while they are visiting?
(a) Her house.
(b) The bank.
(c) Her jewelry.
(d) Her story to another newspaper.
14. What happens to Jesse and several other black soldiers after they are captured by the Confederates in Part IV, Chapter 56?
(a) They release them with a warning to return home.
(b) They are beaten and shackled.
(c) They are sent directly to prison.
(d) The men are being released to former masters, providing those masters want to take them, or they go to jail.
15. What do Jesse's men call Abraham Lincoln?
(a) King Lincoln.
(b) President Lincoln.
(c) Master Abraham.
(d) Savior Abraham.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are Marguerite and her servants preparing to leave when they are beset by Union soldiers on the road?
2. After finally leaving the hospital, what Confederate President do Duncan and his sister meet at an event?
3. What does Alexander's leader tell him to do when the person stumbles into their camp in Part IV, Chapter 54?
4. Duncan tells his sister about the Union and Confederate troops camping so near each other that the music from the Union camp could be heard clearly. What song do the Union musicians play at the Confederate troops' request?
5. At the beginning of Part III, Chapter 37, who are washing the corpse of Uther Botkin?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)