|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Duncan see at an event he attends that he manages a private conversation with in Part III, Chapter 43?
2. What lesson did Jesse learn growing up that Duncan did not have to learn?
(a) To work hard.
(b) When and how to keep his mouth shut.
(c) How to make his own clothes.
(d) How to survive on very little food.
3. Where is Duncan staying at the beginning of Part IV, Chapter 60?
(a) Stratford Plantation.
(b) A military institution in Virginia.
(c) A hospital in South Carolina.
(d) Uther Botkin's place.
4. Who stumbles into Alexander's camp in Part IV, Chapter 54?
(a) A young Confederate soldier.
(b) A young Union soldier.
(c) A runaway female slave.
(d) A runaway male slave.
5. What is Alexander's explanation for why he is a member of the renegade group?
(a) He says he was not "an honest man."
(b) He says he was "an honest man."
(c) He says he was "trying to fight for the right side."
(d) He says he was "trying to redeem himself."
6. What has Catesby become now that he has "renounced his previous sinful ways"?
(a) A Christian.
(b) A Baptist.
(c) A Protestant.
(d) A Lutheran.
7. Why is Silas in the Confederate Army in Part IV, Chapter 61?
(a) Maggie wanted him too.
(b) He was drafted.
(c) He volunteered.
(d) He was forced; they would have killed him if he did not join.
8. What is Jesse teaching to others in the army before he hears men singing?
9. Who is Duncan afraid has bewitched him?
10. Duncan tells his sister about the Union and Confederate troops camping so near each other that the music from the Union camp could be heard clearly. What song do the Union musicians play at the Confederate troops' request?
(a) Here's Your Mule.
(b) Bonnie Blue Flag.
(c) Southern Wagon.
11. What does a recruiter for the army say to Jesse and the men working alongside him in Washington that they do not care for?
(a) That they should join the army for vengeance against the Confederates.
(b) That they should join the army or become slaves again.
(c) That they are not good enough to join the army, but they will take them anyway.
(d) That they must join the army or starve to death.
12. What is the name of Silas's ship that he is awaiting the arrival of in Part IV, Chapter 53?
(a) Wild Darrell.
(b) Silly Sally.
(c) Funny Farrell.
(d) Crazy Harry.
13. What holiday are Catesby and his fellow soldiers celebrating that they attend a prayer meeting?
(b) New Years Eve.
(c) 4th of July.
14. Catesby writes a letter to his wife. Whom does he urge her to keep an eye on?
15. What does Catesby say to a fellow soldier right before he dies?
(a) "I will not give up fighting until every man and boy is dead."
(b) "The Union soldiers will not give up fighting until every man and boy is dead."
(c) Georgians will not give up fighting until every man and boy is dead."
(d) "Virginians would fight until every man and boy was dead."
Short Answer Questions
1. Jesse travels to visit friends in a nearby company where he hears the men singing. What song does hear them singing?
2. Who has died in Part IV, Chapter 60, that the grandmother continually prayers about?
3. At the beginning of Part IV, Chapter 51, what are Abigail and Opal planting at the plantation?
4. What is the name of Silas's crew of blockade-runners?
5. While traveling home from prayer meeting, renegades stop Alexander's buggy. What do they tell the Danzinger boy who is traveling with him?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)