|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Duncan afraid has bewitched him?
2. Who shoots the young Danzinger boy?
(b) One of the Union soldiers.
(c) One of the Union renegades.
(d) One of the Confederate renegades.
3. At the beginning of Part III, Chapter 37, who are washing the corpse of Uther Botkin?
(a) Martha and Jacob.
(b) Anna and Jesse.
(c) Susie and Jack.
(d) Opal and Franky.
4. What does Duncan say will happen to the people of Virginia if the state falls?
(a) They will be "a conquered people."
(b) They will be "a demolished people."
(c) They will be "a beaten people."
(d) They will be "a pathetic group of people."
5. Where is Silas killed?
6. Why is Catesby's son not a help to his family?
(a) He is selfish and wants nothing to do with his family.
(b) He is flighty and unwilling to help unless the mood strikes him.
(c) He is crippled.
(d) He is sick a lot.
7. The work Alexander Kirkpatrick's wife does at the hospital is trying until she realizes the truth of her cousin's attitude. What does she realize?
(a) That the nurses can do everything they can for the wounded, but that the nurses themselves must go on living.
(b) That she needs to realize that her life is also very fragile.
(c) That she must not ever cry or let herself feel for the soldiers.
(d) That she needs to be more compassionate and really feel for the soldiers.
8. What holiday are Catesby and his fellow soldiers celebrating that they attend a prayer meeting?
(a) 4th of July.
(c) New Years Eve.
9. Duncan is somewhat annoyed by the Confederate President at the event. What does he ask him?
(a) Why the men are fed so much better in the hospital than on the field.
(b) When the fighting will stop.
(c) Why the men are clothed so much better in the hospital than on the field.
(d) Why the war had to happen.
10. What does Jesse say that the "colored troops broke ranks" for when they see the man coming down the road in Part IV, Chapter 52?
(a) They run to Lincoln, touching his clothing and even his horse with great reverence.
(b) They run to Robert E. Lee, touching his clothing and even his horse with great reverence.
(c) They run to Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson, touching his clothing and even his horse with great reverence.
(d) They run to Ulysses S Grant, touching his clothing and even his horse with great reverence.
11. What does Silas promise to Marguerite before he leaves to become a solider in the Confederate Army?
(a) That he will be the best solider he can be.
(b) None of the answers is correct.
(c) That they will have another child.
(d) To become a better father and husband when he returns.
12. While awaiting the arrival of his ship, why has Silas begun to be angry about Marguerite?
(a) She is flirting with a lot of his men.
(b) He does not like her son Jacob.
(c) He has begun to be angry about Marguerite's attitude about his long hours at work.
(d) He has begun to be angry about Marguerite's insistence that she remain away from society as much as possible.
13. What do the Union soldiers take from Marguerite and her servants as they are preparing to leave the city?
(a) Money and their horses.
(b) Their cow and jewelry.
(c) Their food.
(d) Bags of clothing.
14. Who stumbles into Alexander's camp in Part IV, Chapter 54?
(a) A young Confederate soldier.
(b) A runaway female slave.
(c) A runaway male slave.
(d) A young Union soldier.
15. What happens to Jesse and several other black soldiers after they are captured by the Confederates in Part IV, Chapter 56?
(a) They release them with a warning to return home.
(b) They are beaten and shackled.
(c) They are sent directly to prison.
(d) The men are being released to former masters, providing those masters want to take them, or they go to jail.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the young Danzinger boy ask Alexander to do for him after it becomes evident the renegades are going to kill him?
2. What is the name of Catesby's bunkmate in Part III, Chapter 42?
3. What does Alexander's leader tell him to do when the person stumbles into their camp in Part IV, Chapter 54?
4. Which servant leaves Marguerite on the road after the incident with the Union soldiers?
5. After finally leaving the hospital, what Confederate President do Duncan and his sister meet at an event?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)