|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Jesse and a group of black men, mostly former slaves, building in Washington?
(a) A bridge.
(b) A fort.
(c) A hospital.
2. What is the Confederate President's answer to Duncan's question at the event?
(a) The fighting will stop when they have won.
(b) The wounded are clothed better so infection will not spread.
(c) The war happened because the Union is evil.
(d) The wounded men are fed better so they will heal quickly and return to the field.
3. How does Jesse feel about giving his money to the surgeon, who says he will put it into a savings account?
(a) Jesse does not believe it to be a good arrangement, because if something happens to the surgeon his money will be lost.
(b) Jesse thinks it is a great idea and gives the surgeon his money.
(c) Jesse thinks the surgeon will steal his money.
(d) Jesse is very excited and gives the surgeon his money and gets all his money to give him their money as well.
4. What does the young Danzinger boy ask Alexander to do for him after it becomes evident the renegades are going to kill him?
(a) He asks him please to watch over his family for him.
(b) He asks him to tell his sweetheart, Ally, that he loves her.
(c) He asks him to tell his family that he loves them and that his younger brother will have to take over as man of the house.
(d) He asks him to please find his father and tell him to go home.
5. Where is Catesby involved in a terrible battle in Part IV, Chapter 47?
(a) Near the Lexington school house in Virginia.
(b) Near Spotsylvania Courthouse, Virginia.
(c) Atlanta, Georgia.
(d) Charleston, South Carolina.
6. What does Jesse believe will be important for the success of his race?
(d) Hard work.
7. What is Jesse teaching to others in the army before he hears men singing?
8. What does Catesby's daughter say her mother spends her time doing now that her father is dead?
(d) Praying and crying.
9. Where does Duncan return to two days after Christmas in Part IV, Chapter 60?
10. What is the name of Silas's ship that he is awaiting the arrival of in Part IV, Chapter 53?
(a) Silly Sally.
(b) Crazy Harry.
(c) Wild Darrell.
(d) Funny Farrell.
11. Where is Silas killed?
12. Where are Marguerite and her servants preparing to leave when they are beset by Union soldiers on the road?
13. How does Silas describe the conditions in the Confederate Army?
14. Where is Duncan staying at the beginning of Part IV, Chapter 60?
(a) Stratford Plantation.
(b) A military institution in Virginia.
(c) Uther Botkin's place.
(d) A hospital in South Carolina.
15. In Part IV, Chapter 63, Sallie writes a letter describing her wedding. To whom does she write her letter?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Union soldiers take from Marguerite and her servants as they are preparing to leave the city?
2. What does Catesby save from his holiday dinner to share with his bunkmate?
3. After saying some things that Jesse and the men working alongside him in Washington do not like, what does the recruiter say that gains Jesse's attention?
4. What does Duncan help Jesse do after they spend the night talking in an abandoned house?
5. What does Jesse say that the "colored troops broke ranks" for when they see the man coming down the road in Part IV, Chapter 52?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)