|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What lesson did Jesse learn growing up that Duncan did not have to learn?
(a) How to survive on very little food.
(b) To work hard.
(c) When and how to keep his mouth shut.
(d) How to make his own clothes.
2. After finally leaving the hospital, what Confederate President do Duncan and his sister meet at an event?
(a) Confederate President David.
(b) Confederate President Davis.
(c) Confederate President Barker.
(d) Confederate President Blackburn.
3. What is the name of Silas's ship that he is awaiting the arrival of in Part IV, Chapter 53?
(a) Crazy Harry.
(b) Funny Farrell.
(c) Silly Sally.
(d) Wild Darrell.
4. What does Catesby say to a fellow soldier right before he dies?
(a) Georgians will not give up fighting until every man and boy is dead."
(b) "The Union soldiers will not give up fighting until every man and boy is dead."
(c) "Virginians would fight until every man and boy was dead."
(d) "I will not give up fighting until every man and boy is dead."
5. How does Jesse feel about giving his money to the surgeon, who says he will put it into a savings account?
(a) Jesse does not believe it to be a good arrangement, because if something happens to the surgeon his money will be lost.
(b) Jesse thinks the surgeon will steal his money.
(c) Jesse thinks it is a great idea and gives the surgeon his money.
(d) Jesse is very excited and gives the surgeon his money and gets all his money to give him their money as well.
6. After saying some things that Jesse and the men working alongside him in Washington do not like, what does the recruiter say that gains Jesse's attention?
(a) He says that Lincoln is the reason that blacks are free to make a choice for themselves.
(b) He says that white men are better soldiers.
(c) He says that they have to decide for themselves what to fight for.
(d) He says that they will be paid to be soldiers.
7. Which of Marguerite's servants is pregnant?
8. What does Duncan say will happen to the people of Virginia if the state falls?
(a) They will be "a beaten people."
(b) They will be "a demolished people."
(c) They will be "a conquered people."
(d) They will be "a pathetic group of people."
9. What do Jesse's men call Abraham Lincoln?
(a) President Lincoln.
(b) Master Abraham.
(c) King Lincoln.
(d) Savior Abraham.
10. What does Duncan help Jesse do after they spend the night talking in an abandoned house?
(a) Escape back to his regiment.
(b) Escape back through the Confederate lines.
(c) Escape back to the Stratford Plantation.
(d) Escape back through the Union lines.
11. What happens to the surgeon who cut off the head of a black soldier and autopsied it?
(a) He is sentenced to death.
(b) He is discharged from the army for his actions.
(c) He is put in jail.
(d) He does not get in trouble.
12. Why is Duncan uncertain about marriage?
(a) He is not certain about his feelings for Abigail.
(b) He is not certain about his feelings for Maggie.
(c) He is not certain about his feelings for Sally.
(d) He is not certain about his feelings for Martha.
13. What arrives on the train that has the men disappointed that they draw lots for?
(a) A single basket of food.
(b) A couple gallons of water.
(c) A jug of beer.
(d) A couple shirts.
14. What is the name of the surgeon who reminds Jesse that he will put money into a savings account for any man that requests it?
15. What do the Union soldiers tell Marguerite's servants after besetting them on the road?
(a) That they had better turn around and go the other way.
(b) That they should head to Mexico.
(c) That they are eventually going to die.
(d) That they can come with them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Silas warn Marguerite about before he leaves to become a solider in the Confederate Army?
2. What do the Union soldiers take from Marguerite and her servants as they are preparing to leave the city?
3. What does Catesby save from his holiday dinner to share with his bunkmate?
4. What is the name of Catesby's daughter?
5. After one of her servants leaves her on the road, what does Marguerite use to carry a small ham and some other small belongings?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)