|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Silas promise to Marguerite before he leaves to become a solider in the Confederate Army?
(a) None of the answers is correct.
(b) To become a better father and husband when he returns.
(c) That he will be the best solider he can be.
(d) That they will have another child.
2. Why is Duncan uncertain about marriage?
(a) He is not certain about his feelings for Sally.
(b) He is not certain about his feelings for Martha.
(c) He is not certain about his feelings for Maggie.
(d) He is not certain about his feelings for Abigail.
3. What does a recruiter for the army say to Jesse and the men working alongside him in Washington that they do not care for?
(a) That they should join the army for vengeance against the Confederates.
(b) That they should join the army or become slaves again.
(c) That they are not good enough to join the army, but they will take them anyway.
(d) That they must join the army or starve to death.
4. What arrives on the train that has the men disappointed that they draw lots for?
(a) A couple shirts.
(b) A couple gallons of water.
(c) A single basket of food.
(d) A jug of beer.
5. What lesson did Jesse learn growing up that Duncan did not have to learn?
(a) To work hard.
(b) How to make his own clothes.
(c) How to survive on very little food.
(d) When and how to keep his mouth shut.
6. What does Jesse say that the "colored troops broke ranks" for when they see the man coming down the road in Part IV, Chapter 52?
(a) They run to Robert E. Lee, touching his clothing and even his horse with great reverence.
(b) They run to Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson, touching his clothing and even his horse with great reverence.
(c) They run to Ulysses S Grant, touching his clothing and even his horse with great reverence.
(d) They run to Lincoln, touching his clothing and even his horse with great reverence.
7. What happens to Jesse and several other black soldiers after they are captured by the Confederates in Part IV, Chapter 56?
(a) The men are being released to former masters, providing those masters want to take them, or they go to jail.
(b) They are sent directly to prison.
(c) They are beaten and shackled.
(d) They release them with a warning to return home.
8. Where does Duncan return to two days after Christmas in Part IV, Chapter 60?
9. What is Jesse teaching to others in the army before he hears men singing?
10. At the beginning of Part III, Chapter 37, who are washing the corpse of Uther Botkin?
(a) Susie and Jack.
(b) Anna and Jesse.
(c) Martha and Jacob.
(d) Opal and Franky.
11. In Part IV, Chapter 52, whom does Jesse and his company see coming down the road?
(a) Robert E. Lee.
(b) Abraham Lincoln.
(c) Ulysses S Grant.
(d) Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson.
12. What do the Union soldiers tell Marguerite's servants after besetting them on the road?
(a) That they should head to Mexico.
(b) That they had better turn around and go the other way.
(c) That they are eventually going to die.
(d) That they can come with them.
13. Duncan is somewhat annoyed by the Confederate President at the event. What does he ask him?
(a) When the fighting will stop.
(b) Why the men are clothed so much better in the hospital than on the field.
(c) Why the war had to happen.
(d) Why the men are fed so much better in the hospital than on the field.
14. What are Jesse and a group of black men, mostly former slaves, building in Washington?
(a) A bridge.
(b) A fort.
(d) A hospital.
15. What does Alexander seem to be almost proud of at the end of Part IV, Chapter 59?
(a) His family.
(b) His horse.
(c) His friends.
(d) His crimes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What holiday are Catesby and his fellow soldiers celebrating that they attend a prayer meeting?
2. What is Alexander's explanation for why he is a member of the renegade group?
3. What is the name of Duncan's childhood servant who used to light the fire in his room?
4. What is the name of Catesby's bunkmate in Part III, Chapter 42?
5. What do the Union soldiers take from Marguerite and her servants as they are preparing to leave the city?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)