|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Catesby killed in battle?
(a) He is stabbed in the stomach.
(b) He is shot several times in the chest.
(c) He takes his own life.
(d) He is shot in the head.
2. Jesse travels to visit friends in a nearby company where he hears the men singing. What song does hear them singing?
(a) "There Is A Balm in Gilead".
(b) "We are Climbing Jacob's Ladder".
(c) "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot".
(d) "Marching 'Round Selma".
3. What does Marguerite tell her remaining servant after the other servant leaves them on the road in Part IV, Chapter 62?
(a) That it's not worth crying over a man like Mingo.
(b) That it's not worth crying over a woman like Kizzy.
(c) That it's not worth crying over a man like Manny.
(d) That it's not worth crying over a woman like Karla.
4. On the way home from prayer meeting, whom is Alexander traveling with when their buggy is stopped by renegades?
(a) Seth Danzinger.
(b) Carl Danzinger.
(c) Mark Danzinger.
(d) Jacob Danzinger.
5. Where does Duncan return to two days after Christmas in Part IV, Chapter 60?
6. What is the name of Silas's ship that he is awaiting the arrival of in Part IV, Chapter 53?
(a) Funny Farrell.
(b) Silly Sally.
(c) Crazy Harry.
(d) Wild Darrell.
7. After one of her servants leaves her on the road, what does Marguerite use to carry a small ham and some other small belongings?
(a) A small cart.
(b) A handbag.
(c) A suitcase.
(d) A sling.
8. What is the name of the surgeon who reminds Jesse that he will put money into a savings account for any man that requests it?
9. What is supposed to arrive via rail the day of the holiday in Part III, Chapter 42, which has the men so excited?
10. After arriving in Analaston Island, District of Columbia, what does Jesse set the men immediately to work on?
(a) Finding food.
(b) Guard watch.
(c) Making the barracks livable.
(d) Building a fort.
11. Where are Marguerite and her servants preparing to leave when they are beset by Union soldiers on the road?
12. What does Marguerite demand from the bank after she notices Silas's invoices were not filed correctly?
(a) That they pay her back with interest.
(b) That they convert his assess to silver currency instead of Confederate money.
(c) That they convert his assets to gold currency instead of Confederate money or cotton pledges.
(d) That they file Silas's invoices correctly.
13. What does Duncan help Jesse do after they spend the night talking in an abandoned house?
(a) Escape back through the Union lines.
(b) Escape back to the Stratford Plantation.
(c) Escape back to his regiment.
(d) Escape back through the Confederate lines.
14. What do Jesse's men call Abraham Lincoln?
(a) Savior Abraham.
(b) President Lincoln.
(c) Master Abraham.
(d) King Lincoln.
15. Duncan is somewhat annoyed by the Confederate President at the event. What does he ask him?
(a) When the fighting will stop.
(b) Why the men are clothed so much better in the hospital than on the field.
(c) Why the war had to happen.
(d) Why the men are fed so much better in the hospital than on the field.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who stumbles into Alexander's camp in Part IV, Chapter 54?
2. What does Catesby save from his holiday dinner to share with his bunkmate?
3. What are Jesse and a group of black men, mostly former slaves, building in Washington?
4. What arrives on the train that has the men disappointed that they draw lots for?
5. What does Catesby tell his wife, in a letter, that he has given up?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)