|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Silas describe the conditions in the Confederate Army?
2. Which servant leaves Marguerite on the road after the incident with the Union soldiers?
3. What do Jesse's men call Abraham Lincoln?
(a) King Lincoln.
(b) Master Abraham.
(c) Savior Abraham.
(d) President Lincoln.
4. What is the Confederate President's answer to Duncan's question at the event?
(a) The wounded are clothed better so infection will not spread.
(b) The wounded men are fed better so they will heal quickly and return to the field.
(c) The fighting will stop when they have won.
(d) The war happened because the Union is evil.
5. What does Jesse say that the "colored troops broke ranks" for when they see the man coming down the road in Part IV, Chapter 52?
(a) They run to Lincoln, touching his clothing and even his horse with great reverence.
(b) They run to Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson, touching his clothing and even his horse with great reverence.
(c) They run to Ulysses S Grant, touching his clothing and even his horse with great reverence.
(d) They run to Robert E. Lee, touching his clothing and even his horse with great reverence.
6. What is the name of Catesby's bunkmate in Part III, Chapter 42?
(a) Private Mark.
(b) Private Mitchell.
(c) Private Randall.
(d) Private Russell.
7. Where is Catesby involved in a terrible battle in Part IV, Chapter 47?
(a) Near Spotsylvania Courthouse, Virginia.
(b) Atlanta, Georgia.
(c) Charleston, South Carolina.
(d) Near the Lexington school house in Virginia.
8. What happens to Alexander and the group of renegades in Part IV, Chapter 59?
(a) They escape into the forest and decide to live there.
(b) They surrender to the enemy.
(c) They capture several Union soldiers.
(d) They are captured and several of them are killed.
9. Catesby writes a letter to his wife. Whom does he urge her to keep an eye on?
10. Why is Silas in the Confederate Army in Part IV, Chapter 61?
(a) He volunteered.
(b) Maggie wanted him too.
(c) He was forced; they would have killed him if he did not join.
(d) He was drafted.
11. Jesse travels to visit friends in a nearby company where he hears the men singing. What song does hear them singing?
(a) "We are Climbing Jacob's Ladder".
(b) "Marching 'Round Selma".
(c) "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot".
(d) "There Is A Balm in Gilead".
12. What is the name of Silas's ship that he is awaiting the arrival of in Part IV, Chapter 53?
(a) Funny Farrell.
(b) Wild Darrell.
(c) Crazy Harry.
(d) Silly Sally.
13. Where does Duncan return to two days after Christmas in Part IV, Chapter 60?
14. After one of her servants leaves her on the road, what does Marguerite use to carry a small ham and some other small belongings?
(a) A suitcase.
(b) A handbag.
(c) A small cart.
(d) A sling.
15. Where are Jesse and his company assigned to work in Part IV, Chapter 52?
(a) Cleaning latrines.
(b) On a dock.
(c) Building a bridge.
(d) At a factory.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Catesby's daughter?
2. What does Catesby say to a fellow soldier right before he dies?
3. Where is Duncan staying at the beginning of Part IV, Chapter 60?
4. What has Catesby become now that he has "renounced his previous sinful ways"?
5. Why is Duncan uncertain about marriage?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)