|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After finally leaving the hospital, what Confederate President do Duncan and his sister meet at an event?
(a) Confederate President Barker.
(b) Confederate President Davis.
(c) Confederate President David.
(d) Confederate President Blackburn.
2. What is Alexander's explanation for why he is a member of the renegade group?
(a) He says he was not "an honest man."
(b) He says he was "an honest man."
(c) He says he was "trying to redeem himself."
(d) He says he was "trying to fight for the right side."
3. After arriving in Analaston Island, District of Columbia, what does Jesse set the men immediately to work on?
(a) Guard watch.
(b) Making the barracks livable.
(c) Finding food.
(d) Building a fort.
4. What does Catesby's daughter say her mother spends her time doing now that her father is dead?
(d) Praying and crying.
5. Where are Marguerite and her servants preparing to leave when they are beset by Union soldiers on the road?
6. What birthday is Alexander Kirkpatrick's wife nearing in Part IV, Chapter 50?
7. Duncan is somewhat annoyed by the Confederate President at the event. What does he ask him?
(a) Why the war had to happen.
(b) Why the men are clothed so much better in the hospital than on the field.
(c) Why the men are fed so much better in the hospital than on the field.
(d) When the fighting will stop.
8. Where is Silas killed?
9. What is Jesse teaching to others in the army before he hears men singing?
10. What is the name of Catesby's bunkmate in Part III, Chapter 42?
(a) Private Randall.
(b) Private Russell.
(c) Private Mitchell.
(d) Private Mark.
11. What does Marguerite invite the girl that is interviewing her to at her home that night?
(a) Her son's birthday party.
(b) Her birthday party.
(c) Her anniversary party.
(d) Her New Year's Eve party.
12. What does Duncan help Jesse do after they spend the night talking in an abandoned house?
(a) Escape back through the Confederate lines.
(b) Escape back to the Stratford Plantation.
(c) Escape back to his regiment.
(d) Escape back through the Union lines.
13. Where is Duncan staying at the beginning of Part IV, Chapter 60?
(a) A military institution in Virginia.
(b) A hospital in South Carolina.
(c) Uther Botkin's place.
(d) Stratford Plantation.
14. What lesson did Jesse learn growing up that Duncan did not have to learn?
(a) To work hard.
(b) How to make his own clothes.
(c) How to survive on very little food.
(d) When and how to keep his mouth shut.
15. Whom does Alexander Kirkpatrick's wife hesitate to visit but eventually goes to see in Part III, Chapter 39?
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Part IV, Chapter 51, what are Abigail and Opal planting at the plantation?
2. What are Jesse and a group of black men, mostly former slaves, building in Washington?
3. What holiday are Catesby and his fellow soldiers celebrating that they attend a prayer meeting?
4. Whom does Duncan see at an event he attends that he manages a private conversation with in Part III, Chapter 43?
5. Why is Catesby's son not a help to his family?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)