|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After finally leaving the hospital, what Confederate President do Duncan and his sister meet at an event?
(a) Confederate President Blackburn.
(b) Confederate President Davis.
(c) Confederate President Barker.
(d) Confederate President David.
2. What do Jesse's men call Abraham Lincoln?
(a) King Lincoln.
(b) President Lincoln.
(c) Master Abraham.
(d) Savior Abraham.
3. Why is Silas in the Confederate Army in Part IV, Chapter 61?
(a) He volunteered.
(b) He was drafted.
(c) Maggie wanted him too.
(d) He was forced; they would have killed him if he did not join.
4. After saying some things that Jesse and the men working alongside him in Washington do not like, what does the recruiter say that gains Jesse's attention?
(a) He says that white men are better soldiers.
(b) He says that Lincoln is the reason that blacks are free to make a choice for themselves.
(c) He says that they will be paid to be soldiers.
(d) He says that they have to decide for themselves what to fight for.
5. At the beginning of Part III, Chapter 37, who are washing the corpse of Uther Botkin?
(a) Opal and Franky.
(b) Susie and Jack.
(c) Anna and Jesse.
(d) Martha and Jacob.
6. After one of her servants leaves her on the road, what does Marguerite use to carry a small ham and some other small belongings?
(a) A small cart.
(b) A suitcase.
(c) A sling.
(d) A handbag.
7. Where is Duncan staying at the beginning of Part IV, Chapter 60?
(a) Stratford Plantation.
(b) A military institution in Virginia.
(c) A hospital in South Carolina.
(d) Uther Botkin's place.
8. What is the name of the surgeon who cut off the head of a black soldier and autopsied it?
9. What lesson did Jesse learn growing up that Duncan did not have to learn?
(a) To work hard.
(b) How to make his own clothes.
(c) How to survive on very little food.
(d) When and how to keep his mouth shut.
10. At the beginning of Part IV, Chapter 51, what are Abigail and Opal planting at the plantation?
11. What is the name of Catesby's daughter?
12. Why is Catesby's son not a help to his family?
(a) He is selfish and wants nothing to do with his family.
(b) He is sick a lot.
(c) He is flighty and unwilling to help unless the mood strikes him.
(d) He is crippled.
13. What arrives on the train that has the men disappointed that they draw lots for?
(a) A couple gallons of water.
(b) A single basket of food.
(c) A couple shirts.
(d) A jug of beer.
14. What do the Union soldiers take from Marguerite and her servants as they are preparing to leave the city?
(a) Money and their horses.
(b) Their food.
(c) Bags of clothing.
(d) Their cow and jewelry.
15. What does Alexander seem to be almost proud of at the end of Part IV, Chapter 59?
(a) His horse.
(b) His friends.
(c) His crimes.
(d) His family.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Duncan help Jesse do after they spend the night talking in an abandoned house?
2. What is Alexander's explanation for why he is a member of the renegade group?
3. What birthday is Alexander Kirkpatrick's wife nearing in Part IV, Chapter 50?
4. Where are Jesse and his company assigned to work in Part IV, Chapter 52?
5. Duncan is somewhat annoyed by the Confederate President at the event. What does he ask him?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)