|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Alexander seem to be almost proud of at the end of Part IV, Chapter 59?
(a) His family.
(b) His horse.
(c) His crimes.
(d) His friends.
2. Why is Catesby's son not a help to his family?
(a) He is selfish and wants nothing to do with his family.
(b) He is flighty and unwilling to help unless the mood strikes him.
(c) He is sick a lot.
(d) He is crippled.
3. What is Jesse teaching to others in the army before he hears men singing?
4. What are the names of Marguerite's servants, who were former slaves?
(a) Karla and Manny.
(b) Karla and Mingo.
(c) Kizzy and Martha.
(d) Kizzy and Mingo.
5. How does Jesse feel about giving his money to the surgeon, who says he will put it into a savings account?
(a) Jesse is very excited and gives the surgeon his money and gets all his money to give him their money as well.
(b) Jesse thinks it is a great idea and gives the surgeon his money.
(c) Jesse does not believe it to be a good arrangement, because if something happens to the surgeon his money will be lost.
(d) Jesse thinks the surgeon will steal his money.
6. What is supposed to arrive via rail the day of the holiday in Part III, Chapter 42, which has the men so excited?
7. What does Marguerite think her children are going to try to get her to sell while they are visiting?
(a) Her story to another newspaper.
(b) Her jewelry.
(c) Her house.
(d) The bank.
8. What is Alexander's explanation for why he is a member of the renegade group?
(a) He says he was "trying to redeem himself."
(b) He says he was not "an honest man."
(c) He says he was "an honest man."
(d) He says he was "trying to fight for the right side."
9. What does Catesby save from his holiday dinner to share with his bunkmate?
(a) A piece of cake.
(b) A piece of bacon.
(c) A piece of ham.
(d) A piece of bread.
10. What arrives on the train that has the men disappointed that they draw lots for?
(a) A couple shirts.
(b) A single basket of food.
(c) A couple gallons of water.
(d) A jug of beer.
11. After finally leaving the hospital, what Confederate President do Duncan and his sister meet at an event?
(a) Confederate President David.
(b) Confederate President Blackburn.
(c) Confederate President Davis.
(d) Confederate President Barker.
12. What does Silas promise to Marguerite before he leaves to become a solider in the Confederate Army?
(a) To become a better father and husband when he returns.
(b) That they will have another child.
(c) None of the answers is correct.
(d) That he will be the best solider he can be.
13. What did Uther teach Duncan and Jesse to do in their youth?
(a) Plow a field.
14. What is the Confederate President's answer to Duncan's question at the event?
(a) The fighting will stop when they have won.
(b) The wounded are clothed better so infection will not spread.
(c) The war happened because the Union is evil.
(d) The wounded men are fed better so they will heal quickly and return to the field.
15. What birthday is Alexander Kirkpatrick's wife nearing in Part IV, Chapter 50?
Short Answer Questions
1. While awaiting the arrival of his ship, why has Silas begun to be angry about Marguerite?
2. Which servant leaves Marguerite on the road after the incident with the Union soldiers?
3. Who has died in Part IV, Chapter 60, that the grandmother continually prayers about?
4. Where are Marguerite and her servants preparing to leave when they are beset by Union soldiers on the road?
5. Why is Duncan uncertain about marriage?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)