|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of Marguerite's servants is pregnant?
2. Where are Marguerite and her servants preparing to leave when they are beset by Union soldiers on the road?
3. What do the Union soldiers tell Marguerite's servants after besetting them on the road?
(a) That they can come with them.
(b) That they had better turn around and go the other way.
(c) That they should head to Mexico.
(d) That they are eventually going to die.
4. After one of her servants leaves her on the road, what does Marguerite use to carry a small ham and some other small belongings?
(a) A small cart.
(b) A suitcase.
(c) A handbag.
(d) A sling.
5. What is the name of Catesby's bunkmate in Part III, Chapter 42?
(a) Private Mitchell.
(b) Private Randall.
(c) Private Russell.
(d) Private Mark.
6. What does Jesse believe will be important for the success of his race?
(a) Hard work.
7. At the beginning of Part III, Chapter 37, who are washing the corpse of Uther Botkin?
(a) Martha and Jacob.
(b) Anna and Jesse.
(c) Susie and Jack.
(d) Opal and Franky.
8. What are Jesse and a group of black men, mostly former slaves, building in Washington?
(a) A hospital.
(b) A bridge.
(d) A fort.
9. Where is Duncan staying at the beginning of Part IV, Chapter 60?
(a) A hospital in South Carolina.
(b) A military institution in Virginia.
(c) Uther Botkin's place.
(d) Stratford Plantation.
10. Where is Silas killed?
11. What does Catesby's daughter say her mother spends her time doing now that her father is dead?
(d) Praying and crying.
12. What does Duncan never wear now that he has lost his arm?
(a) Long sleeved shirts.
(b) Shirts with buttons.
(c) Shoes with laces.
(d) Neckwear that requires tying.
13. How does Silas describe the conditions in the Confederate Army?
14. What does Silas promise to Marguerite before he leaves to become a solider in the Confederate Army?
(a) That they will have another child.
(b) None of the answers is correct.
(c) To become a better father and husband when he returns.
(d) That he will be the best solider he can be.
15. What is the name of Silas's ship that he is awaiting the arrival of in Part IV, Chapter 53?
(a) Funny Farrell.
(b) Silly Sally.
(c) Crazy Harry.
(d) Wild Darrell.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who stumbles into Alexander's camp in Part IV, Chapter 54?
2. Whom does Duncan see at an event he attends that he manages a private conversation with in Part III, Chapter 43?
3. Why is Duncan uncertain about marriage?
4. What does Duncan say will happen to the people of Virginia if the state falls?
5. What is the name of Duncan's childhood servant who used to light the fire in his room?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)