|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Duncan return to two days after Christmas in Part IV, Chapter 60?
2. How does Silas describe the conditions in the Confederate Army?
3. What does Silas warn Marguerite about before he leaves to become a solider in the Confederate Army?
(a) About where she will run if Charleston falls to the Union.
(b) About where she will run if Wilmington falls to the Union.
(c) About where she will run if Lexington falls to the Union.
(d) About where she will run if Richmond falls to the Union.
4. What does Duncan say will happen to the people of Virginia if the state falls?
(a) They will be "a demolished people."
(b) They will be "a pathetic group of people."
(c) They will be "a beaten people."
(d) They will be "a conquered people."
5. What is Alexander's explanation for why he is a member of the renegade group?
(a) He says he was "trying to redeem himself."
(b) He says he was "trying to fight for the right side."
(c) He says he was "an honest man."
(d) He says he was not "an honest man."
6. What do the Union soldiers tell Marguerite's servants after besetting them on the road?
(a) That they can come with them.
(b) That they are eventually going to die.
(c) That they had better turn around and go the other way.
(d) That they should head to Mexico.
7. What does Alexander's leader tell him to do when the person stumbles into their camp in Part IV, Chapter 54?
(a) He tells Alexander to shoot the runaway slave.
(b) He tells Alexander not to lay a hand on the girl.
(c) He tells Alexander not to lay a hand on the boy.
(d) He tells Alexander to tie the boy up and take him as their prisoner.
8. What does Marguerite invite the girl that is interviewing her to at her home that night?
(a) Her birthday party.
(b) Her New Year's Eve party.
(c) Her anniversary party.
(d) Her son's birthday party.
9. Who agrees to marry Duncan while visiting his old home?
10. What does the young Danzinger boy ask Alexander to do for him after it becomes evident the renegades are going to kill him?
(a) He asks him to please find his father and tell him to go home.
(b) He asks him please to watch over his family for him.
(c) He asks him to tell his sweetheart, Ally, that he loves her.
(d) He asks him to tell his family that he loves them and that his younger brother will have to take over as man of the house.
11. Catesby writes a letter to his wife. Whom does he urge her to keep an eye on?
12. What has Catesby become now that he has "renounced his previous sinful ways"?
(a) A Christian.
(b) A Baptist.
(c) A Protestant.
(d) A Lutheran.
13. On the way home from prayer meeting, whom is Alexander traveling with when their buggy is stopped by renegades?
(a) Seth Danzinger.
(b) Jacob Danzinger.
(c) Carl Danzinger.
(d) Mark Danzinger.
14. What are Jesse and a group of black men, mostly former slaves, building in Washington?
(a) A hospital.
(b) A fort.
(d) A bridge.
15. Jesse travels to visit friends in a nearby company where he hears the men singing. What song does hear them singing?
(a) "There Is A Balm in Gilead".
(b) "We are Climbing Jacob's Ladder".
(c) "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot".
(d) "Marching 'Round Selma".
Short Answer Questions
1. What holiday are Catesby and his fellow soldiers celebrating that they attend a prayer meeting?
2. What happens to Alexander and the group of renegades in Part IV, Chapter 59?
3. What is the name of Catesby's daughter?
4. Which servant leaves Marguerite on the road after the incident with the Union soldiers?
5. What does Silas promise to Marguerite before he leaves to become a solider in the Confederate Army?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)