|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Silas warn Marguerite about before he leaves to become a solider in the Confederate Army?
(a) About where she will run if Wilmington falls to the Union.
(b) About where she will run if Charleston falls to the Union.
(c) About where she will run if Richmond falls to the Union.
(d) About where she will run if Lexington falls to the Union.
2. What happens to Alexander and the group of renegades in Part IV, Chapter 59?
(a) They surrender to the enemy.
(b) They capture several Union soldiers.
(c) They escape into the forest and decide to live there.
(d) They are captured and several of them are killed.
3. After finally leaving the hospital, what Confederate President do Duncan and his sister meet at an event?
(a) Confederate President Davis.
(b) Confederate President David.
(c) Confederate President Barker.
(d) Confederate President Blackburn.
4. What does Alexander's leader tell him to do when the person stumbles into their camp in Part IV, Chapter 54?
(a) He tells Alexander not to lay a hand on the boy.
(b) He tells Alexander to tie the boy up and take him as their prisoner.
(c) He tells Alexander to shoot the runaway slave.
(d) He tells Alexander not to lay a hand on the girl.
5. What is the name of the surgeon who cut off the head of a black soldier and autopsied it?
6. In Part IV, Chapter 63, Sallie writes a letter describing her wedding. To whom does she write her letter?
7. While traveling home from prayer meeting, renegades stop Alexander's buggy. What do they tell the Danzinger boy who is traveling with him?
(a) That they know he is a spy for the Union Army.
(b) That they know his father to be a spy for the Union Army.
(c) That they know his father to be a spy for the Confederate Army.
(d) That they know he is a spy for the Confederate Army.
8. Who is Duncan afraid has bewitched him?
9. Jesse travels to visit friends in a nearby company where he hears the men singing. What song does hear them singing?
(a) "We are Climbing Jacob's Ladder".
(b) "There Is A Balm in Gilead".
(c) "Marching 'Round Selma".
(d) "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot".
10. Why is Silas in the Confederate Army in Part IV, Chapter 61?
(a) He was forced; they would have killed him if he did not join.
(b) Maggie wanted him too.
(c) He was drafted.
(d) He volunteered.
11. What does a recruiter for the army say to Jesse and the men working alongside him in Washington that they do not care for?
(a) That they are not good enough to join the army, but they will take them anyway.
(b) That they should join the army or become slaves again.
(c) That they should join the army for vengeance against the Confederates.
(d) That they must join the army or starve to death.
12. What does Alexander seem to be almost proud of at the end of Part IV, Chapter 59?
(a) His family.
(b) His horse.
(c) His crimes.
(d) His friends.
13. What does Marguerite invite the girl that is interviewing her to at her home that night?
(a) Her New Year's Eve party.
(b) Her anniversary party.
(c) Her birthday party.
(d) Her son's birthday party.
14. What happens to Jesse and several other black soldiers after they are captured by the Confederates in Part IV, Chapter 56?
(a) The men are being released to former masters, providing those masters want to take them, or they go to jail.
(b) They are sent directly to prison.
(c) They release them with a warning to return home.
(d) They are beaten and shackled.
15. At the beginning of Part III, Chapter 37, who are washing the corpse of Uther Botkin?
(a) Opal and Franky.
(b) Anna and Jesse.
(c) Martha and Jacob.
(d) Susie and Jack.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Duncan uncertain about marriage?
2. What is Alexander's explanation for why he is a member of the renegade group?
3. What is the name of Duncan's childhood servant who used to light the fire in his room?
4. What does the young Danzinger boy ask Alexander to do for him after it becomes evident the renegades are going to kill him?
5. Where is Catesby involved in a terrible battle in Part IV, Chapter 47?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)