|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Duncan uncertain about marriage?
(a) He is not certain about his feelings for Martha.
(b) He is not certain about his feelings for Abigail.
(c) He is not certain about his feelings for Maggie.
(d) He is not certain about his feelings for Sally.
2. Which servant leaves Marguerite on the road after the incident with the Union soldiers?
3. What happens to Alexander and the group of renegades in Part IV, Chapter 59?
(a) They surrender to the enemy.
(b) They escape into the forest and decide to live there.
(c) They capture several Union soldiers.
(d) They are captured and several of them are killed.
4. After saying some things that Jesse and the men working alongside him in Washington do not like, what does the recruiter say that gains Jesse's attention?
(a) He says that white men are better soldiers.
(b) He says that Lincoln is the reason that blacks are free to make a choice for themselves.
(c) He says that they will be paid to be soldiers.
(d) He says that they have to decide for themselves what to fight for.
5. Duncan tells his sister about the Union and Confederate troops camping so near each other that the music from the Union camp could be heard clearly. What song do the Union musicians play at the Confederate troops' request?
(a) Southern Wagon.
(b) Here's Your Mule.
(c) Bonnie Blue Flag.
6. Who shoots the young Danzinger boy?
(a) One of the Union renegades.
(b) One of the Union soldiers.
(d) One of the Confederate renegades.
7. Why is Silas in the Confederate Army in Part IV, Chapter 61?
(a) He was drafted.
(b) Maggie wanted him too.
(c) He volunteered.
(d) He was forced; they would have killed him if he did not join.
8. Why is Catesby's son not a help to his family?
(a) He is sick a lot.
(b) He is selfish and wants nothing to do with his family.
(c) He is flighty and unwilling to help unless the mood strikes him.
(d) He is crippled.
9. While traveling home from prayer meeting, renegades stop Alexander's buggy. What do they tell the Danzinger boy who is traveling with him?
(a) That they know he is a spy for the Confederate Army.
(b) That they know his father to be a spy for the Confederate Army.
(c) That they know he is a spy for the Union Army.
(d) That they know his father to be a spy for the Union Army.
10. Who has died in Part IV, Chapter 60, that the grandmother continually prayers about?
11. What are Jesse and a group of black men, mostly former slaves, building in Washington?
(a) A bridge.
(c) A hospital.
(d) A fort.
12. What does Catesby save from his holiday dinner to share with his bunkmate?
(a) A piece of ham.
(b) A piece of bread.
(c) A piece of cake.
(d) A piece of bacon.
13. Duncan is somewhat annoyed by the Confederate President at the event. What does he ask him?
(a) Why the men are clothed so much better in the hospital than on the field.
(b) Why the war had to happen.
(c) Why the men are fed so much better in the hospital than on the field.
(d) When the fighting will stop.
14. How does Jesse feel about giving his money to the surgeon, who says he will put it into a savings account?
(a) Jesse thinks the surgeon will steal his money.
(b) Jesse thinks it is a great idea and gives the surgeon his money.
(c) Jesse does not believe it to be a good arrangement, because if something happens to the surgeon his money will be lost.
(d) Jesse is very excited and gives the surgeon his money and gets all his money to give him their money as well.
15. What does Catesby say to a fellow soldier right before he dies?
(a) "I will not give up fighting until every man and boy is dead."
(b) Georgians will not give up fighting until every man and boy is dead."
(c) "Virginians would fight until every man and boy was dead."
(d) "The Union soldiers will not give up fighting until every man and boy is dead."
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Duncan afraid has bewitched him?
2. What does Duncan never wear now that he has lost his arm?
3. What does Catesby tell his wife, in a letter, that he has given up?
4. What is the name of Silas's ship that he is awaiting the arrival of in Part IV, Chapter 53?
5. What does Jesse think about the man that he sees coming down the road in Part IV, Chapter 52?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)