|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Silas's ship that he is awaiting the arrival of in Part IV, Chapter 53?
(a) Funny Farrell.
(b) Silly Sally.
(c) Wild Darrell.
(d) Crazy Harry.
2. Where are Jesse and his company assigned to work in Part IV, Chapter 52?
(a) Building a bridge.
(b) Cleaning latrines.
(c) On a dock.
(d) At a factory.
3. What does the young Danzinger boy ask Alexander to do for him after it becomes evident the renegades are going to kill him?
(a) He asks him to please find his father and tell him to go home.
(b) He asks him to tell his family that he loves them and that his younger brother will have to take over as man of the house.
(c) He asks him to tell his sweetheart, Ally, that he loves her.
(d) He asks him please to watch over his family for him.
4. What has Catesby become now that he has "renounced his previous sinful ways"?
(a) A Lutheran.
(b) A Protestant.
(c) A Baptist.
(d) A Christian.
5. What does Jesse believe will be important for the success of his race?
(d) Hard work.
6. While awaiting the arrival of his ship, why has Silas begun to be angry about Marguerite?
(a) He has begun to be angry about Marguerite's attitude about his long hours at work.
(b) He has begun to be angry about Marguerite's insistence that she remain away from society as much as possible.
(c) He does not like her son Jacob.
(d) She is flirting with a lot of his men.
7. After one of her servants leaves her on the road, what does Marguerite use to carry a small ham and some other small belongings?
(a) A suitcase.
(b) A sling.
(c) A handbag.
(d) A small cart.
8. After finally leaving the hospital, what Confederate President do Duncan and his sister meet at an event?
(a) Confederate President Barker.
(b) Confederate President David.
(c) Confederate President Blackburn.
(d) Confederate President Davis.
9. Who stumbles into Alexander's camp in Part IV, Chapter 54?
(a) A runaway male slave.
(b) A young Confederate soldier.
(c) A young Union soldier.
(d) A runaway female slave.
10. Why is Silas in the Confederate Army in Part IV, Chapter 61?
(a) Maggie wanted him too.
(b) He volunteered.
(c) He was drafted.
(d) He was forced; they would have killed him if he did not join.
11. What is the name of Jesse's Captain in the army?
(a) Captain Firestone.
(b) Captain Fessenden.
(c) Captain Fessler.
(d) Captain Farley.
12. Which of Marguerite's servants is pregnant?
13. What is the name of Catesby's bunkmate in Part III, Chapter 42?
(a) Private Mitchell.
(b) Private Russell.
(c) Private Mark.
(d) Private Randall.
14. What is Alexander's explanation for why he is a member of the renegade group?
(a) He says he was "an honest man."
(b) He says he was "trying to redeem himself."
(c) He says he was not "an honest man."
(d) He says he was "trying to fight for the right side."
15. Whom does Duncan see at an event he attends that he manages a private conversation with in Part III, Chapter 43?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catesby say to a fellow soldier right before he dies?
2. Where is Catesby involved in a terrible battle in Part IV, Chapter 47?
3. How does Silas describe the conditions in the Confederate Army?
4. What does Duncan never wear now that he has lost his arm?
5. How old is the newspaper that Jesse reads to his men about the Gettysburg Address?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)