|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the battle that Catesby and Samuel Gatewood's son are fighting in Part II, Chapter 19?
2. Two years after the big storm, what is Samuel's son guarding in Part I, Chapter 2?
(a) The area prior to the hanging of John Brown.
(b) The area prior to the hanging of Jake Bowers.
(c) The area prior to the hanging of Matt Louis.
(d) The area prior to the hanging of Mike Lewis.
3. How many months after Uther Botkin's wife gives birth does she die?
4. What are Alexander Kirkpatrick and his wife forced to do while in jail?
(a) Make clothing for the Confederate Army.
(b) Sit in a dark room all day long.
(c) Manual labor.
(d) Be completely silent.
5. Where does Jesse decide to go to look for a new job?
(a) A restaurant.
(b) A plantation.
(d) A bakery.
6. How do Alexander Kirkpatrick and his wife get to the jail after being sentenced?
(a) They are dragged.
(b) By horseback.
(c) They walk.
(d) By carriage.
7. What nickname has Samuel Gatewood's son earned from his classmates?
(b) Bucking Bronco.
8. What did Uther Botkin inherit?
(a) Property bordering Mumford Plantation.
(b) Property bordering Stratford Plantation.
(c) Property bordering O'Hara Plantation.
(d) Property bordering Gatewood Plantation.
9. What is Alexander quickly set up as in his new regiment because of his education and ability?
(a) A courier.
(b) A cook.
(c) A lieutenant.
(d) A sergeant.
10. What does Samuel Gatewood do after his slave's third attempt at running away?
(a) He sells him.
(b) He ties him up.
(c) He locks him in the cellar.
(d) He whips him.
11. What do some of Samuel's slaves offer to help Uther Botkin's slave with?
(a) The fall planting.
(b) The spring planting.
(c) The winter planting.
(d) The summer planting.
12. What is the name of Samuel Gatewood's wife?
13. Whom does Marguerite accompany to an expensive gathering at the governor's mansion?
(d) Samuel Gatewood.
14. Who harbors a runaway slave in Part I, Chapter 7?
(a) Sallie and Alexander.
(b) Sammy and Alexander.
(c) Sara and Alexander.
(d) Susie and Alexander.
15. What is the name of Catesby Byrd's wife?
Short Answer Questions
1. What are woman like Marguerite known as at the governor's party?
2. Where does Alexander arrive in Part III, Chapter 29, just before a big fight?
3. The woman traveling the countryside meets up with a woman named Miss Marguerite. What story does she begin telling her?
4. How many years does the judge sentence Alexander Kirkpatrick and his wife to serve in jail?
5. How much money does Silas's nephew offer the slave for sex?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)