|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Samuel Gatewood do after his slave's third attempt at running away?
(a) He ties him up.
(b) He locks him in the cellar.
(c) He sells him.
(d) He whips him.
2. Where is the battle that Catesby and Samuel Gatewood's son are fighting in Part II, Chapter 19?
3. What is the name of Uther Botkin's daughter?
4. While trying to find shelter from the big storm, whom does Samuel's son find inside a barn?
5. After his essay in Part I, Chapter 13, whom does Samuel Gatewood try to convince to stop running away?
6. What are woman like Marguerite known as at the governor's party?
(a) Friendly companions.
(d) Outside wives.
7. What is Alexander quickly set up as in his new regiment because of his education and ability?
(a) A lieutenant.
(b) A courier.
(c) A cook.
(d) A sergeant.
8. What happens to Duncan's horse during a battle in Chancellorsville, Virginia?
(a) She stumbles and breaks her leg.
(b) She is slashed and her intestines spill out onto the ground.
(c) She is shot in the stomach several times.
(d) Her throat is slit.
9. What nickname has Samuel Gatewood's son earned from his classmates?
(a) Bucking Bronco.
10. What is the name of the horse that Duncan has had since he was a child?
11. What does a Confederate solider tell Rufus and Jesse before shooting Rufus in the chest?
(a) That they are going to die.
(b) That he is lower than dirt.
(c) That he will be punished for running away.
(d) That Abraham Lincoln has made the Emancipation Proclamation.
12. What does Silas do for a living?
(c) Buys and sells slaves.
13. What must Alexander Kirkpatrick do if he wants to be pardoned from serving jail?
(a) Never sell slaves again.
(b) Join the Confederate Army.
(c) Join the Union Army.
(d) Never harbor slaves again.
14. After attending church in Part I, Chapter 9, who begs Jack to put in a good word with Samuel Gatewood?
15. Where is Alexander Kirkpatrick's wife sent to work after she is released from jail?
(a) A military hospital in Lexington, Virginia.
(b) A military hospital in Richmond, Virginia.
(c) A military hospital in Williamsburg, Virginia.
(d) A military hospital in Charleston, South Carolina.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Silas's nephew?
2. While at the military institute listening to a speech, what does Samuel Gatewood's son see happen to a Union flagpole?
3. What is the name of the surgeon who receives a telegram that makes him cry?
4. What does Alexander Kirkpatrick's wife pray for because it sometimes slows the number of wounded arriving at the hospital?
5. As the story opens, what is the young woman traveling the countryside in search of?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)