|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Samuel Gatewood purchase from Uther Botkin?
2. What does a Confederate solider tell Rufus and Jesse before shooting Rufus in the chest?
(a) That Abraham Lincoln has made the Emancipation Proclamation.
(b) That he will be punished for running away.
(c) That he is lower than dirt.
(d) That they are going to die.
3. To whom does Catesby want Samuel Gatewood to write a letter?
4. What happens to Duncan and Catesby during the fighting in Part III, Chapter 28?
(a) They are taken as prisoner.
(b) They are both badly wounded.
(c) They survive and watch helplessly as wounded men die in the fields.
(d) They run away.
5. Who harbors a runaway slave in Part I, Chapter 7?
(a) Sammy and Alexander.
(b) Susie and Alexander.
(c) Sallie and Alexander.
(d) Sara and Alexander.
6. The woman traveling the countryside meets up with a woman named Miss Marguerite. What story does she begin telling her?
(a) The story of Fox's Snow.
(b) The story of Rex's Snow.
(c) The story of Max's Snow.
(d) The story of Cox's Snow.
7. How much money is the slave that Silas's nephew had sex with being sold for?
(a) Sixteen hundred dollars.
(b) Two thousand dollars.
(c) Twelve hundred dollars.
(d) One hundred dollars.
8. What are most of the people at the gathering at the governor's mansion?
(a) Bar owners.
(b) Blockade runners.
(d) Plantation owners.
9. What is the name of the house that Silas arrives at where there is prostitution and evening entertainment?
(a) Commander's House.
(b) Captain's House.
(c) King's House.
(d) Chief's House.
10. Where does Catesby tell Samuel he should send someone to get his son who has been wounded in battle?
(a) Viewmont Hotel.
(b) Wilson's Hotel.
(c) Jackson's Hotel.
(d) Crafton's Hotel.
11. Where does Jesse decide to go to look for a new job?
(b) A plantation.
(c) A restaurant.
(d) A bakery.
12. Miss Marguerite begins telling the traveling young woman in Part I, Chapter 1 a story. Where does the story take place?
(a) Mumford Plantation in North Carolina.
(b) Stratford Plantation in Virginia.
(c) Gatewood Plantation in South Carolina.
(d) O'Hara Plantation in Mississippi.
13. How do Alexander Kirkpatrick and his wife get to the jail after being sentenced?
(a) By carriage.
(b) By horseback.
(c) They are dragged.
(d) They walk.
14. How many months after Uther Botkin's wife gives birth does she die?
15. What is the name of Samuel Gatewood's other slave who is also planning to run away?
Short Answer Questions
1. At the hospital that she works at, Alexander Kirkpatrick's wife has to dump piles of used bandages into a pit. What else does she see inside the pit?
2. What is the name of Catesby Byrd's wife?
3. Two years after the big storm, what is Samuel's son guarding in Part I, Chapter 2?
4. Whose custody is Alexander Kirkpatrick's wife released into in Part II, Chapter 23?
5. How old is Uther Botkin?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)