|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Alexander demand that he be treated as a prisoner of war while in prison?
(a) Because he sides with the Confederate Army.
(b) Because he is an abolitionist.
(c) Because he owns slaves.
(d) Because he sides with the North.
2. What does Samuel Gatewood do after his slave's third attempt at running away?
(a) He whips him.
(b) He sells him.
(c) He locks him in the cellar.
(d) He ties him up.
3. The woman traveling the countryside hears a lot about a storm. What is the name of the storm?
(a) Max's Snow.
(b) Rex's Snow.
(c) Fox's Snow.
(d) Cox's Snow.
4. By whom is the woman traveling the countryside in Part I, Chapter 1, employed?
(a) Moving Forward Organization.
(b) Remembering Our Past Project.
(c) Works Progress Administration.
(d) United America Administration.
5. After attending church in Part I, Chapter 9, who begs Jack to put in a good word with Samuel Gatewood?
6. Where is the military institute located that Samuel Gatewood's son attends?
(a) Birmingham, Alabama.
(b) Charleston, South Carolina.
(c) Lexington, Virginia.
(d) Williamsburg, Virginia.
7. Why does the surgeon in Part III, Chapter 28, insist that all the Union soldiers be taken to another surgeon for the rest of the evening?
(a) He is too tired to work.
(b) He is too emotionally upset to work.
(c) He wants them to all die.
(d) He cannot be certain he will not intentionally harm them.
8. Why does Samuel Gatewood want his slave to be married?
(a) She is too wild and needs to settle down.
(b) She is pregnant with his son's child.
(c) She is pregnant with another slave's child.
(d) She is pregnant with his child.
9. Catesby writes a letter to his wife in Part III, Chapter 32. What does he tell her has happened to Duncan?
(a) He has been severely injured and has lost a leg.
(b) He has been severely injured and has lost an arm.
(c) He has been severely injured and has lost a foot.
(d) He has been severely injured and has brain damage.
10. How does Silas react after learning that his nephew had sex with a slave?
(a) He does not mind at all.
(b) He flips over his nephew's chair and dumps breakfast and coffee on him.
(c) He yells at him and tells him to leave.
(d) He punches him.
11. As the story opens, what is the young woman traveling the countryside in search of?
(a) Those who remember her great-grandmother.
(b) Those who remember the days of the Civil War.
(c) Those who remember her great-grandfather.
(d) Those who remember the days of slavery.
12. How many months after Uther Botkin's wife gives birth does she die?
13. Where is Alexander Kirkpatrick's wife sent to work after she is released from jail?
(a) A military hospital in Charleston, South Carolina.
(b) A military hospital in Richmond, Virginia.
(c) A military hospital in Williamsburg, Virginia.
(d) A military hospital in Lexington, Virginia.
14. What property does Samuel Gatewood own?
(a) Mumford Plantation.
(b) Gatewood Plantation.
(c) Stratford Plantation.
(d) O'Hara Plantation.
15. While at the military institute listening to a speech, what does Samuel Gatewood's son see happen to a Union flagpole?
(a) It is torn down.
(b) It is waved around while everyone cheers.
(c) The pole is set on fire and the flag is burned.
(d) It breaks, sending the flag crashing to the ground.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Alexander Kirkpatrick and his wife get to the jail after being sentenced?
2. To whom is Alexander Kirkpatrick married?
3. What does the visitor bring Alexander Kirkpatrick's wife while visiting her in jail?
4. What happens to Alexander after he demands to be treated as a prisoner of war while in prison?
5. What does Alexander Kirkpatrick's wife tell a young solider who asks if he is going to die?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)