|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Alexander after he demands to be treated as a prisoner of war while in prison?
(a) He is put in a dark hole.
(b) He is whipped with a chain.
(c) He is given no food or water.
(d) He is flogged.
2. Where does Jesse decide to go to look for a new job?
(a) A bakery.
(b) A restaurant.
(d) A plantation.
3. What is the name of the surgeon who receives a telegram that makes him cry?
(a) Jared Lock.
(b) Jack Laurence.
(c) John Lavell.
(d) James Lane.
4. What is the name of Catesby Byrd's wife?
5. What is the name of Uther Botkin's daughter?
6. What are woman like Marguerite known as at the governor's party?
(b) Outside wives.
(c) Friendly companions.
7. Where is the military institute located that Samuel Gatewood's son attends?
(a) Birmingham, Alabama.
(b) Williamsburg, Virginia.
(c) Lexington, Virginia.
(d) Charleston, South Carolina.
8. What does the visitor bring Alexander Kirkpatrick's wife while visiting her in jail?
(a) Milk, a brush, and some candy.
(b) Soap, cheese, and other minor gifts.
(c) A freshly baked pie.
9. What are the names of Samuel Gatewood's children?
(a) Leona and Duncan.
(b) Layla and Donny.
(c) Laura and Denny.
(d) Lana and Daniel.
10. After attending church in Part I, Chapter 9, who begs Jack to put in a good word with Samuel Gatewood?
11. How old is Uther Botkin?
12. What does Catesby agree to on his final bet?
(a) To join the Northern Army.
(b) To marry his girlfriend.
(c) To join the Confederate Army.
(d) To run naked down the street.
13. Whom does Marguerite accompany to an expensive gathering at the governor's mansion?
(d) Samuel Gatewood.
14. Whom does Samuel Gatewood have help Uther Botkin's family after the death of his wife?
15. Why does Alexander demand that he be treated as a prisoner of war while in prison?
(a) Because he sides with the Confederate Army.
(b) Because he sides with the North.
(c) Because he owns slaves.
(d) Because he is an abolitionist.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Samuel Gatewood do after his slave's third attempt at running away?
2. Who arrives at the hospital to visit Duncan and apologizes for his melancholy attitude?
3. How much money does Silas's nephew offer the slave for sex?
4. Years ago, what name was Miss Marguerite known by?
5. As the story opens, what is the young woman traveling the countryside in search of?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)