Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Samuel Gatewood's wife?
2. Why does Alexander demand that he be treated as a prisoner of war while in prison?
(a) Because he is an abolitionist.
(b) Because he sides with the Confederate Army.
(c) Because he owns slaves.
(d) Because he sides with the North.
3. What is the name of the family that Alexander works for food and stays with in Part III, Chapter 35?
(a) The Danzinger family.
(b) The Dillinger family.
(c) The Duggar family.
(d) The Fredericks family.
4. What does Alexander tell Samuel Gatewood's son he claimed so he could be assigned to his regiment?
(a) That he is his son.
(b) That they are brothers.
(c) That they are cousins.
(d) That they are half-brothers.
5. How does Silas react after learning that his nephew had sex with a slave?
(a) He flips over his nephew's chair and dumps breakfast and coffee on him.
(b) He yells at him and tells him to leave.
(c) He does not mind at all.
(d) He punches him.
6. While trying to find shelter from the big storm, whom does Samuel's son find inside a barn?
7. What do some of Samuel's slaves offer to help Uther Botkin's slave with?
(a) The summer planting.
(b) The fall planting.
(c) The spring planting.
(d) The winter planting.
8. What are Alexander Kirkpatrick and his wife forced to do while in jail?
(a) Be completely silent.
(b) Manual labor.
(c) Sit in a dark room all day long.
(d) Make clothing for the Confederate Army.
9. What is the name of Silas's nephew?
(a) Erik Ophikeans.
(b) Ellam Omohundru.
(c) Ernest Ommon.
(d) Enoch Ommar.
10. Why does a judge sentence Alexander Kirkpatrick and his wife to jail?
(a) For stealing money.
(b) For the mistreatment of slaves.
(c) For killing someone.
(d) For being abolitionists.
11. To whom is Alexander Kirkpatrick married?
(a) Sammy Botkin.
(b) Sara Botkin.
(c) Sallie Botkin.
(d) Susie Botkin.
12. What is the name of Marguerite's maid?
13. Where is Alexander Kirkpatrick's wife sent to work after she is released from jail?
(a) A military hospital in Lexington, Virginia.
(b) A military hospital in Charleston, South Carolina.
(c) A military hospital in Richmond, Virginia.
(d) A military hospital in Williamsburg, Virginia.
14. Where is Samuel Gatewood's son hit by a bullet during battle?
(a) His stomach.
(b) His leg.
(c) His arm.
(d) His shoulder.
15. Two years after the big storm, what is Samuel's son guarding in Part I, Chapter 2?
(a) The area prior to the hanging of Matt Louis.
(b) The area prior to the hanging of John Brown.
(c) The area prior to the hanging of Jake Bowers.
(d) The area prior to the hanging of Mike Lewis.
Short Answer Questions
1. After traveling to where the slaves are held, with whom does Silas's nephew have sex?
2. How old is Uther Botkin?
3. What must Alexander Kirkpatrick do if he wants to be pardoned from serving jail?
4. What is the name of Uther Botkin's daughter?
5. As the story opens, what is the young woman traveling the countryside in search of?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)