|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the hospital that she works at, Alexander Kirkpatrick's wife has to dump piles of used bandages into a pit. What else does she see inside the pit?
(a) Piles of human heads.
(b) Piles of rotting human flesh.
(c) Hundreds of boots.
(d) Piles of torn up clothing.
2. To whom does Catesby want Samuel Gatewood to write a letter?
3. Whom does Samuel Gatewood purchase from Uther Botkin?
4. Why does Alexander demand that he be treated as a prisoner of war while in prison?
(a) Because he sides with the North.
(b) Because he owns slaves.
(c) Because he sides with the Confederate Army.
(d) Because he is an abolitionist.
5. What are the names of Samuel Gatewood's children?
(a) Layla and Donny.
(b) Laura and Denny.
(c) Leona and Duncan.
(d) Lana and Daniel.
6. Why does the surgeon in Part III, Chapter 28, insist that all the Union soldiers be taken to another surgeon for the rest of the evening?
(a) He cannot be certain he will not intentionally harm them.
(b) He wants them to all die.
(c) He is too tired to work.
(d) He is too emotionally upset to work.
7. What is the name of Uther Botkin's wife?
8. What is the name of Catesby Byrd's wife?
9. What does a Confederate solider tell Rufus and Jesse before shooting Rufus in the chest?
(a) That he will be punished for running away.
(b) That he is lower than dirt.
(c) That they are going to die.
(d) That Abraham Lincoln has made the Emancipation Proclamation.
10. Who is Jesse?
(a) Uther Botkin's son.
(b) Uther Botkin's brother.
(c) Uther Botkin's nephew.
(d) Uther Botkin's slave boy.
11. What does Catesby agree to on his final bet?
(a) To marry his girlfriend.
(b) To join the Northern Army.
(c) To join the Confederate Army.
(d) To run naked down the street.
12. While trying to find shelter from the big storm, whom does Samuel's son find inside a barn?
13. What is the name of Uther Botkin's daughter?
14. While at the military institute listening to a speech, what does Samuel Gatewood's son see happen to a Union flagpole?
(a) It breaks, sending the flag crashing to the ground.
(b) It is torn down.
(c) It is waved around while everyone cheers.
(d) The pole is set on fire and the flag is burned.
15. How does Silas react after learning that his nephew had sex with a slave?
(a) He yells at him and tells him to leave.
(b) He flips over his nephew's chair and dumps breakfast and coffee on him.
(c) He does not mind at all.
(d) He punches him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the camp that Catesby sends his wife a letter from in Part II, Chapter 14?
2. Years ago, what name was Miss Marguerite known by?
3. Where is the battle that Catesby and Samuel Gatewood's son are fighting in Part II, Chapter 19?
4. Whom does Marguerite accompany to an expensive gathering at the governor's mansion?
5. Who accompanies Alexander Kirkpatrick and his wife to the jail after they are sentenced?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)