|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does a Confederate solider tell Rufus and Jesse before shooting Rufus in the chest?
(a) That he will be punished for running away.
(b) That he is lower than dirt.
(c) That Abraham Lincoln has made the Emancipation Proclamation.
(d) That they are going to die.
2. What do some of Samuel's slaves offer to help Uther Botkin's slave with?
(a) The summer planting.
(b) The winter planting.
(c) The fall planting.
(d) The spring planting.
3. Who is Jesse?
(a) Uther Botkin's nephew.
(b) Uther Botkin's brother.
(c) Uther Botkin's slave boy.
(d) Uther Botkin's son.
4. Who arrives at the hospital to visit Duncan and apologizes for his melancholy attitude?
5. What happens to Duncan and Catesby during the fighting in Part III, Chapter 28?
(a) They run away.
(b) They are both badly wounded.
(c) They are taken as prisoner.
(d) They survive and watch helplessly as wounded men die in the fields.
6. Where is Alexander Kirkpatrick's wife sent to work after she is released from jail?
(a) A military hospital in Williamsburg, Virginia.
(b) A military hospital in Richmond, Virginia.
(c) A military hospital in Lexington, Virginia.
(d) A military hospital in Charleston, South Carolina.
7. How does Silas react after learning that his nephew had sex with a slave?
(a) He does not mind at all.
(b) He flips over his nephew's chair and dumps breakfast and coffee on him.
(c) He yells at him and tells him to leave.
(d) He punches him.
8. Where does Alexander arrive in Part III, Chapter 29, just before a big fight?
(a) Charleston, South Carolina.
(b) Williamsburg, Virginia.
(c) Fredericksburg, Virginia.
(d) Lexington, Virginia.
9. Where is the penitentiary that Alexander Kirkpatrick and his wife are being sent to?
10. What is the name of the horse that Duncan has had since he was a child?
11. How many months after Uther Botkin's wife gives birth does she die?
12. Why does Samuel Gatewood want his slave to be married?
(a) She is too wild and needs to settle down.
(b) She is pregnant with his son's child.
(c) She is pregnant with his child.
(d) She is pregnant with another slave's child.
13. What is the name of Silas's nephew?
(a) Ernest Ommon.
(b) Enoch Ommar.
(c) Erik Ophikeans.
(d) Ellam Omohundru.
14. Where is the military institute located that Samuel Gatewood's son attends?
(a) Birmingham, Alabama.
(b) Williamsburg, Virginia.
(c) Lexington, Virginia.
(d) Charleston, South Carolina.
15. What nickname has Samuel Gatewood's son earned from his classmates?
(b) Bucking Bronco.
Short Answer Questions
1. What property does Samuel Gatewood own?
2. Why is the person that Uther Botkin's slave wishes could help her with the planting in jail?
3. The woman traveling the countryside meets up with a woman named Miss Marguerite. What story does she begin telling her?
4. What happens when Alexander is sent to deliver a message to a particular group about to be hemmed in during the fighting in Part III, Chapter 28?
5. To whom is Alexander Kirkpatrick married?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)