|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Samuel Gatewood's slave trying to run away?
(a) He is trying to find Rita.
(b) He is trying to find Sallie.
(c) He is trying to find Martha.
(d) He is trying to find Maggie.
2. Two years after the big storm, what is Samuel's son guarding in Part I, Chapter 2?
(a) The area prior to the hanging of Matt Louis.
(b) The area prior to the hanging of Jake Bowers.
(c) The area prior to the hanging of John Brown.
(d) The area prior to the hanging of Mike Lewis.
3. What does Catesby and a fellow soldier do when a Union soldier stumbles into their camp?
(a) They kill him.
(b) They fight him and he runs off.
(c) They tell the boy to return the way he came.
(d) They take him as a prisoner.
4. What happens when Alexander is sent to deliver a message to a particular group about to be hemmed in during the fighting in Part III, Chapter 28?
(a) He trips and falls down a hill, breaking his leg.
(b) He delivers the message and returns safely.
(c) He falls into a bramble thicket and runs away.
(d) He is shot.
5. In the letter that he writes from camp, where does Catesby urge his wife to stay?
(a) At Uther Botkin's place.
(b) Hidden in the woods.
(c) In Lexington with his family.
(d) At Stratford with her family.
6. What is the name of Uther Botkin's wife?
7. Whose custody is Alexander Kirkpatrick's wife released into in Part II, Chapter 23?
(a) Uther Botkin.
(b) Cousin Molly.
(d) Samuel Gatewood.
8. What is the name of the family that Alexander works for food and stays with in Part III, Chapter 35?
(a) The Fredericks family.
(b) The Danzinger family.
(c) The Dillinger family.
(d) The Duggar family.
9. What does Silas do for a living?
(a) Buys and sells slaves.
10. What is the name of the essay that Samuel Gatewood writes in Part I, Chapter 13?
(a) Remarks by a Southern Abolitionist.
(b) Remarks by a Plantation Owner.
(c) Remarks by a Slave Trader.
(d) Remarks by a Mountain Agriculturalist.
11. Where is Alexander Kirkpatrick's wife sent to work after she is released from jail?
(a) A military hospital in Lexington, Virginia.
(b) A military hospital in Williamsburg, Virginia.
(c) A military hospital in Charleston, South Carolina.
(d) A military hospital in Richmond, Virginia.
12. How do Alexander Kirkpatrick and his wife get to the jail after being sentenced?
(a) They are dragged.
(b) By carriage.
(c) They walk.
(d) By horseback.
13. Where does Alexander arrive in Part III, Chapter 29, just before a big fight?
(a) Fredericksburg, Virginia.
(b) Charleston, South Carolina.
(c) Lexington, Virginia.
(d) Williamsburg, Virginia.
14. What is the name of the horse that Duncan has had since he was a child?
15. Whom does Samuel Gatewood purchase from Uther Botkin?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Alexander Kirkpatrick's wife pray for because it sometimes slows the number of wounded arriving at the hospital?
2. To whom does Catesby want Samuel Gatewood to write a letter?
3. What is the name of Samuel Gatewood's other slave who is also planning to run away?
4. What are Alexander Kirkpatrick and his wife forced to do while in jail?
5. While at the military institute listening to a speech, what does Samuel Gatewood's son see happen to a Union flagpole?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)