|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the surgeon in Part III, Chapter 28, insist that all the Union soldiers be taken to another surgeon for the rest of the evening?
(a) He wants them to all die.
(b) He is too tired to work.
(c) He is too emotionally upset to work.
(d) He cannot be certain he will not intentionally harm them.
2. Who harbors a runaway slave in Part I, Chapter 7?
(a) Sara and Alexander.
(b) Susie and Alexander.
(c) Sammy and Alexander.
(d) Sallie and Alexander.
3. What is the name of the school that Uther Botkin's daughter attends?
(a) Virginia Ladies College.
(b) School for the Gifted and Talented.
(c) Augusta Female Seminary.
(d) Abby's Female Institution.
4. What are woman like Marguerite known as at the governor's party?
(a) Outside wives.
(d) Friendly companions.
5. What happens to Alexander after he demands to be treated as a prisoner of war while in prison?
(a) He is put in a dark hole.
(b) He is given no food or water.
(c) He is flogged.
(d) He is whipped with a chain.
6. The woman traveling the countryside hears a lot about a storm. What is the name of the storm?
(a) Rex's Snow.
(b) Fox's Snow.
(c) Max's Snow.
(d) Cox's Snow.
7. What is the name of the hospital that Duncan is staying at after his injuries in Part III, Chapter 32?
(a) Camp Winder Hospital.
(b) Camp Wyatt Hospital.
(c) Camp Wayner Hospital.
(d) Camp Wagner Hospital.
8. Why does Samuel Gatewood want his slave to be married?
(a) She is pregnant with his child.
(b) She is pregnant with another slave's child.
(c) She is too wild and needs to settle down.
(d) She is pregnant with his son's child.
9. What is the name of the camp that Catesby sends his wife a letter from in Part II, Chapter 14?
(a) Camp Charleston.
(b) Camp Bartow.
(c) Camp Birmingham.
(d) Camp Williamsburg.
10. What is the name of Samuel Gatewood's other slave who is also planning to run away?
11. What happens to Duncan's horse during a battle in Chancellorsville, Virginia?
(a) She stumbles and breaks her leg.
(b) She is slashed and her intestines spill out onto the ground.
(c) She is shot in the stomach several times.
(d) Her throat is slit.
12. What must Alexander Kirkpatrick do if he wants to be pardoned from serving jail?
(a) Join the Confederate Army.
(b) Never harbor slaves again.
(c) Join the Union Army.
(d) Never sell slaves again.
13. Where is the penitentiary that Alexander Kirkpatrick and his wife are being sent to?
14. Whom does Marguerite accompany to an expensive gathering at the governor's mansion?
(d) Samuel Gatewood.
15. What is the name of the family that Alexander works for food and stays with in Part III, Chapter 35?
(a) The Danzinger family.
(b) The Fredericks family.
(c) The Duggar family.
(d) The Dillinger family.
Short Answer Questions
1. Catesby plays cards with Samuel Gatewood's son and some other young men. What does he lose?
2. What do some of Samuel's slaves offer to help Uther Botkin's slave with?
3. What are Alexander Kirkpatrick and his wife forced to do while in jail?
4. What happens when Alexander is sent to deliver a message to a particular group about to be hemmed in during the fighting in Part III, Chapter 28?
5. As the story opens, what is the young woman traveling the countryside in search of?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)