|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Marguerite is interviewed by a girl from the WPA. Why are the girl's boss and father criticizing the amount of time she spends with Marguerite?
(a) They both say the story that Marguerite is telling is untrue.
(b) They do not like that she's a mulatto.
(c) Because she is a slave.
(d) Because she is a prostitute.
2. After traveling to where the slaves are held, with whom does Silas's nephew have sex?
3. What are woman like Marguerite known as at the governor's party?
(c) Outside wives.
(d) Friendly companions.
4. What does Alexander Kirkpatrick's wife tell a young solider who asks if he is going to die?
(a) The he will survive.
(b) That she does not know.
(c) That he needs not to worry about it.
(d) That he will not live through the night.
5. Where is the battle that Catesby and Samuel Gatewood's son are fighting in Part II, Chapter 19?
6. Why does a judge sentence Alexander Kirkpatrick and his wife to jail?
(a) For stealing money.
(b) For being abolitionists.
(c) For the mistreatment of slaves.
(d) For killing someone.
7. What did Uther Botkin inherit?
(a) Property bordering Mumford Plantation.
(b) Property bordering O'Hara Plantation.
(c) Property bordering Gatewood Plantation.
(d) Property bordering Stratford Plantation.
8. What do Samuel Gatewood's son and his friends do after some Union cadets rush them after listening to a speech at the military institute?
(a) They run and hide.
(b) They gather their weapons and return to regain their honor.
(c) The immediately begin fighting back.
(d) They beg for forgiveness.
9. Why does Marguerite not want to have another baby?
(a) She wants to ensure that Silas will love Jacob as his own.
(b) She wants to ensure that Samuel will love Jacob as his own.
(c) She wants to ensure that Duncan will love Jacob as his own.
(d) She wants to ensure that Jesse will love Jacob as his own.
10. To whom is Alexander Kirkpatrick married?
(a) Susie Botkin.
(b) Sara Botkin.
(c) Sammy Botkin.
(d) Sallie Botkin.
11. What is the name of Catesby Byrd's wife?
12. Why does the surgeon in Part III, Chapter 28, insist that all the Union soldiers be taken to another surgeon for the rest of the evening?
(a) He wants them to all die.
(b) He is too tired to work.
(c) He is too emotionally upset to work.
(d) He cannot be certain he will not intentionally harm them.
13. Whom does Samuel Gatewood purchase from Uther Botkin?
14. How many months after Uther Botkin's wife gives birth does she die?
15. As the story opens, what is the young woman traveling the countryside in search of?
(a) Those who remember the days of slavery.
(b) Those who remember her great-grandmother.
(c) Those who remember her great-grandfather.
(d) Those who remember the days of the Civil War.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catesby and a fellow soldier do when a Union soldier stumbles into their camp?
2. What is the name of the camp that Catesby sends his wife a letter from in Part II, Chapter 14?
3. Where does Alexander arrive in Part III, Chapter 29, just before a big fight?
4. Where is the penitentiary that Alexander Kirkpatrick and his wife are being sent to?
5. What does Alexander tell Samuel Gatewood's son he claimed so he could be assigned to his regiment?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)