|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the hospital that Duncan is staying at after his injuries in Part III, Chapter 32?
(a) Camp Wagner Hospital.
(b) Camp Wayner Hospital.
(c) Camp Winder Hospital.
(d) Camp Wyatt Hospital.
2. What does a Confederate solider tell Rufus and Jesse before shooting Rufus in the chest?
(a) That Abraham Lincoln has made the Emancipation Proclamation.
(b) That they are going to die.
(c) That he is lower than dirt.
(d) That he will be punished for running away.
3. What happens to Alexander after he demands to be treated as a prisoner of war while in prison?
(a) He is given no food or water.
(b) He is flogged.
(c) He is whipped with a chain.
(d) He is put in a dark hole.
4. What does Alexander Kirkpatrick's wife tell a young solider who asks if he is going to die?
(a) That he needs not to worry about it.
(b) That she does not know.
(c) That he will not live through the night.
(d) The he will survive.
5. At the hospital that she works at, Alexander Kirkpatrick's wife has to dump piles of used bandages into a pit. What else does she see inside the pit?
(a) Hundreds of boots.
(b) Piles of torn up clothing.
(c) Piles of human heads.
(d) Piles of rotting human flesh.
6. How does Silas react after learning that his nephew had sex with a slave?
(a) He yells at him and tells him to leave.
(b) He does not mind at all.
(c) He flips over his nephew's chair and dumps breakfast and coffee on him.
(d) He punches him.
7. Catesby writes a letter to his wife in Part III, Chapter 32. What does he tell her has happened to Duncan?
(a) He has been severely injured and has brain damage.
(b) He has been severely injured and has lost a foot.
(c) He has been severely injured and has lost a leg.
(d) He has been severely injured and has lost an arm.
8. How many years does the judge sentence Alexander Kirkpatrick and his wife to serve in jail?
9. Why does the surgeon in Part III, Chapter 28, insist that all the Union soldiers be taken to another surgeon for the rest of the evening?
(a) He is too emotionally upset to work.
(b) He cannot be certain he will not intentionally harm them.
(c) He is too tired to work.
(d) He wants them to all die.
10. Marguerite is interviewed by a girl from the WPA. Why are the girl's boss and father criticizing the amount of time she spends with Marguerite?
(a) They do not like that she's a mulatto.
(b) Because she is a slave.
(c) Because she is a prostitute.
(d) They both say the story that Marguerite is telling is untrue.
11. What nickname has Samuel Gatewood's son earned from his classmates?
(d) Bucking Bronco.
12. What are the names of Samuel Gatewood's children?
(a) Layla and Donny.
(b) Lana and Daniel.
(c) Laura and Denny.
(d) Leona and Duncan.
13. Miss Marguerite begins telling the traveling young woman in Part I, Chapter 1 a story. Where does the story take place?
(a) Mumford Plantation in North Carolina.
(b) Stratford Plantation in Virginia.
(c) Gatewood Plantation in South Carolina.
(d) O'Hara Plantation in Mississippi.
14. What is the name of the essay that Samuel Gatewood writes in Part I, Chapter 13?
(a) Remarks by a Slave Trader.
(b) Remarks by a Plantation Owner.
(c) Remarks by a Mountain Agriculturalist.
(d) Remarks by a Southern Abolitionist.
15. Where is Marguerite living in Part III, Chapter 28?
(b) Nassau, the Bahamas.
(c) Dominican Republic.
(d) New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Samuel Gatewood's son hit by a bullet during battle?
2. What happens when Alexander is sent to deliver a message to a particular group about to be hemmed in during the fighting in Part III, Chapter 28?
3. How much money does Silas's nephew offer the slave for sex?
4. What is Alexander quickly set up as in his new regiment because of his education and ability?
5. Catesby plays cards with Samuel Gatewood's son and some other young men. What does he lose?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)