|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does a judge sentence Alexander Kirkpatrick and his wife to jail?
(a) For being abolitionists.
(b) For killing someone.
(c) For stealing money.
(d) For the mistreatment of slaves.
2. What are woman like Marguerite known as at the governor's party?
(b) Friendly companions.
(d) Outside wives.
3. Where is the battle that Catesby and Samuel Gatewood's son are fighting in Part II, Chapter 19?
4. What is the name of the house that Silas arrives at where there is prostitution and evening entertainment?
(a) King's House.
(b) Commander's House.
(c) Captain's House.
(d) Chief's House.
5. Where is Samuel Gatewood's son hit by a bullet during battle?
(a) His arm.
(b) His leg.
(c) His stomach.
(d) His shoulder.
6. Why does the surgeon in Part III, Chapter 28, insist that all the Union soldiers be taken to another surgeon for the rest of the evening?
(a) He cannot be certain he will not intentionally harm them.
(b) He is too emotionally upset to work.
(c) He wants them to all die.
(d) He is too tired to work.
7. After dumping piles of used bandages into a pit, how many patients does Alexander Kirkpatrick's wife tell the surgeon he has waiting for the day?
8. Why does Samuel Gatewood want his slave to be married?
(a) She is too wild and needs to settle down.
(b) She is pregnant with his child.
(c) She is pregnant with his son's child.
(d) She is pregnant with another slave's child.
9. In the letter that he writes from camp, where does Catesby urge his wife to stay?
(a) At Stratford with her family.
(b) At Uther Botkin's place.
(c) In Lexington with his family.
(d) Hidden in the woods.
10. Whom does Uther Botkin's slave wish could help her with the planting, but can't because he is in jail?
11. What do Samuel Gatewood's son and his friends do after some Union cadets rush them after listening to a speech at the military institute?
(a) They beg for forgiveness.
(b) The immediately begin fighting back.
(c) They gather their weapons and return to regain their honor.
(d) They run and hide.
12. Why is Samuel Gatewood's slave trying to run away?
(a) He is trying to find Martha.
(b) He is trying to find Sallie.
(c) He is trying to find Maggie.
(d) He is trying to find Rita.
13. Years ago, what name was Miss Marguerite known by?
14. Who harbors a runaway slave in Part I, Chapter 7?
(a) Sallie and Alexander.
(b) Sammy and Alexander.
(c) Susie and Alexander.
(d) Sara and Alexander.
15. How much money is the slave that Silas's nephew had sex with being sold for?
(a) One hundred dollars.
(b) Two thousand dollars.
(c) Sixteen hundred dollars.
(d) Twelve hundred dollars.
Short Answer Questions
1. By whom is the woman traveling the countryside in Part I, Chapter 1, employed?
2. Whom does Marguerite accompany to an expensive gathering at the governor's mansion?
3. Where is the military institute located that Samuel Gatewood's son attends?
4. What does Alexander Kirkpatrick's wife pray for because it sometimes slows the number of wounded arriving at the hospital?
5. Miss Marguerite begins telling the traveling young woman in Part I, Chapter 1 a story. Where does the story take place?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)