|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Samuel Gatewood purchase from Uther Botkin?
2. Who harbors a runaway slave in Part I, Chapter 7?
(a) Susie and Alexander.
(b) Sara and Alexander.
(c) Sammy and Alexander.
(d) Sallie and Alexander.
3. Two years after the big storm, what is Samuel's son guarding in Part I, Chapter 2?
(a) The area prior to the hanging of Mike Lewis.
(b) The area prior to the hanging of Jake Bowers.
(c) The area prior to the hanging of Matt Louis.
(d) The area prior to the hanging of John Brown.
4. How much money does Silas's nephew offer the slave for sex?
(a) Two bits.
(b) Two dollars.
(c) Five dollars.
(d) One bit.
5. By whom is the woman traveling the countryside in Part I, Chapter 1, employed?
(a) Remembering Our Past Project.
(b) Works Progress Administration.
(c) Moving Forward Organization.
(d) United America Administration.
6. What happens to Duncan and Catesby during the fighting in Part III, Chapter 28?
(a) They are both badly wounded.
(b) They survive and watch helplessly as wounded men die in the fields.
(c) They are taken as prisoner.
(d) They run away.
7. Miss Marguerite begins telling the traveling young woman in Part I, Chapter 1 a story. Where does the story take place?
(a) O'Hara Plantation in Mississippi.
(b) Mumford Plantation in North Carolina.
(c) Stratford Plantation in Virginia.
(d) Gatewood Plantation in South Carolina.
8. What is the name of Samuel Gatewood's other slave who is also planning to run away?
9. After his essay in Part I, Chapter 13, whom does Samuel Gatewood try to convince to stop running away?
10. Where is Samuel Gatewood's son hit by a bullet during battle?
(a) His shoulder.
(b) His stomach.
(c) His leg.
(d) His arm.
11. While trying to find shelter from the big storm, whom does Samuel's son find inside a barn?
12. What do Samuel Gatewood's son and his friends do after some Union cadets rush them after listening to a speech at the military institute?
(a) The immediately begin fighting back.
(b) They run and hide.
(c) They beg for forgiveness.
(d) They gather their weapons and return to regain their honor.
13. Catesby writes a letter to his wife in Part III, Chapter 32. What does he tell her has happened to Duncan?
(a) He has been severely injured and has lost an arm.
(b) He has been severely injured and has brain damage.
(c) He has been severely injured and has lost a leg.
(d) He has been severely injured and has lost a foot.
14. What is the name of Silas's nephew?
(a) Ernest Ommon.
(b) Ellam Omohundru.
(c) Erik Ophikeans.
(d) Enoch Ommar.
15. What must Alexander Kirkpatrick do if he wants to be pardoned from serving jail?
(a) Never harbor slaves again.
(b) Join the Confederate Army.
(c) Never sell slaves again.
(d) Join the Union Army.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose custody is Alexander Kirkpatrick's wife released into in Part II, Chapter 23?
2. What is Jesse doing that causes most men to fall ill or to move on to another job as quickly as possible?
3. What does Catesby and a fellow soldier do when a Union soldier stumbles into their camp?
4. In the letter that he writes from camp, where does Catesby urge his wife to stay?
5. What is the name of Uther Botkin's wife?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)