|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Duncan's horse during a battle in Chancellorsville, Virginia?
(a) She is shot in the stomach several times.
(b) She is slashed and her intestines spill out onto the ground.
(c) She stumbles and breaks her leg.
(d) Her throat is slit.
2. By whom is the woman traveling the countryside in Part I, Chapter 1, employed?
(a) Works Progress Administration.
(b) Remembering Our Past Project.
(c) Moving Forward Organization.
(d) United America Administration.
3. What are most of the people at the gathering at the governor's mansion?
(a) Bar owners.
(b) Blockade runners.
(c) Plantation owners.
4. What must Alexander Kirkpatrick do if he wants to be pardoned from serving jail?
(a) Join the Confederate Army.
(b) Never sell slaves again.
(c) Join the Union Army.
(d) Never harbor slaves again.
5. While trying to find shelter from the big storm, whom does Samuel's son find inside a barn?
6. What is the name of the camp that Catesby sends his wife a letter from in Part II, Chapter 14?
(a) Camp Williamsburg.
(b) Camp Birmingham.
(c) Camp Bartow.
(d) Camp Charleston.
7. What does the visitor bring Alexander Kirkpatrick's wife while visiting her in jail?
(a) Milk, a brush, and some candy.
(b) A freshly baked pie.
(c) Soap, cheese, and other minor gifts.
8. Where is the military institute located that Samuel Gatewood's son attends?
(a) Lexington, Virginia.
(b) Williamsburg, Virginia.
(c) Birmingham, Alabama.
(d) Charleston, South Carolina.
9. Where does Catesby tell Samuel he should send someone to get his son who has been wounded in battle?
(a) Wilson's Hotel.
(b) Crafton's Hotel.
(c) Jackson's Hotel.
(d) Viewmont Hotel.
10. Why does Alexander demand that he be treated as a prisoner of war while in prison?
(a) Because he is an abolitionist.
(b) Because he sides with the North.
(c) Because he owns slaves.
(d) Because he sides with the Confederate Army.
11. Whom does Samuel Gatewood have help Uther Botkin's family after the death of his wife?
12. Marguerite is interviewed by a girl from the WPA. Why are the girl's boss and father criticizing the amount of time she spends with Marguerite?
(a) Because she is a prostitute.
(b) Because she is a slave.
(c) They do not like that she's a mulatto.
(d) They both say the story that Marguerite is telling is untrue.
13. How many years does the judge sentence Alexander Kirkpatrick and his wife to serve in jail?
14. To whom is Alexander Kirkpatrick married?
(a) Sammy Botkin.
(b) Sara Botkin.
(c) Susie Botkin.
(d) Sallie Botkin.
15. Why is the person that Uther Botkin's slave wishes could help her with the planting in jail?
(a) He killed someone.
(b) He tried to run away.
(c) He beat someone up.
(d) He stole some food.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Samuel Gatewood's wife?
2. What are Alexander Kirkpatrick and his wife forced to do while in jail?
3. After traveling to where the slaves are held, with whom does Silas's nephew have sex?
4. What does Alexander Kirkpatrick's wife wish she had done before she was sentenced to jail?
5. What does Alexander Kirkpatrick's wife tell a young solider who asks if he is going to die?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)