|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do some of Samuel's slaves offer to help Uther Botkin's slave with?
(a) The fall planting.
(b) The winter planting.
(c) The spring planting.
(d) The summer planting.
2. Why does the surgeon in Part III, Chapter 28, insist that all the Union soldiers be taken to another surgeon for the rest of the evening?
(a) He cannot be certain he will not intentionally harm them.
(b) He is too emotionally upset to work.
(c) He is too tired to work.
(d) He wants them to all die.
3. What happens when Alexander is sent to deliver a message to a particular group about to be hemmed in during the fighting in Part III, Chapter 28?
(a) He trips and falls down a hill, breaking his leg.
(b) He falls into a bramble thicket and runs away.
(c) He is shot.
(d) He delivers the message and returns safely.
4. Miss Marguerite begins telling the traveling young woman in Part I, Chapter 1 a story. Where does the story take place?
(a) Stratford Plantation in Virginia.
(b) O'Hara Plantation in Mississippi.
(c) Gatewood Plantation in South Carolina.
(d) Mumford Plantation in North Carolina.
5. Where is the battle that Catesby and Samuel Gatewood's son are fighting in Part II, Chapter 19?
6. Why is the person that Uther Botkin's slave wishes could help her with the planting in jail?
(a) He beat someone up.
(b) He stole some food.
(c) He tried to run away.
(d) He killed someone.
7. What is the name of the house that Silas arrives at where there is prostitution and evening entertainment?
(a) Commander's House.
(b) Chief's House.
(c) King's House.
(d) Captain's House.
8. What does Catesby and a fellow soldier do when a Union soldier stumbles into their camp?
(a) They take him as a prisoner.
(b) They kill him.
(c) They fight him and he runs off.
(d) They tell the boy to return the way he came.
9. To whom does Catesby want Samuel Gatewood to write a letter?
10. Where is the penitentiary that Alexander Kirkpatrick and his wife are being sent to?
11. How do Alexander Kirkpatrick and his wife get to the jail after being sentenced?
(a) By horseback.
(b) They walk.
(c) By carriage.
(d) They are dragged.
12. What are Alexander Kirkpatrick and his wife forced to do while in jail?
(a) Manual labor.
(b) Make clothing for the Confederate Army.
(c) Be completely silent.
(d) Sit in a dark room all day long.
13. What does Samuel Gatewood do after his slave's third attempt at running away?
(a) He sells him.
(b) He locks him in the cellar.
(c) He ties him up.
(d) He whips him.
14. By whom is the woman traveling the countryside in Part I, Chapter 1, employed?
(a) Works Progress Administration.
(b) Moving Forward Organization.
(c) United America Administration.
(d) Remembering Our Past Project.
15. Why is Samuel Gatewood's slave trying to run away?
(a) He is trying to find Rita.
(b) He is trying to find Sallie.
(c) He is trying to find Martha.
(d) He is trying to find Maggie.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Silas react after learning that his nephew had sex with a slave?
2. What nickname has Samuel Gatewood's son earned from his classmates?
3. How much money is the slave that Silas's nephew had sex with being sold for?
4. What is the name of the hospital that Duncan is staying at after his injuries in Part III, Chapter 32?
5. What are woman like Marguerite known as at the governor's party?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)