|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the names of Samuel Gatewood's children?
(a) Lana and Daniel.
(b) Leona and Duncan.
(c) Laura and Denny.
(d) Layla and Donny.
2. What does Alexander Kirkpatrick's wife wish she had done before she was sentenced to jail?
(a) Killed herself.
(b) Pleaded for mercy.
(c) Put up more of a fight.
(d) Ran away.
3. What are most of the people at the gathering at the governor's mansion?
(a) Blockade runners.
(c) Bar owners.
(d) Plantation owners.
4. Two years after the big storm, what is Samuel's son guarding in Part I, Chapter 2?
(a) The area prior to the hanging of Matt Louis.
(b) The area prior to the hanging of Mike Lewis.
(c) The area prior to the hanging of Jake Bowers.
(d) The area prior to the hanging of John Brown.
5. After dumping piles of used bandages into a pit, how many patients does Alexander Kirkpatrick's wife tell the surgeon he has waiting for the day?
6. Miss Marguerite begins telling the traveling young woman in Part I, Chapter 1 a story. Where does the story take place?
(a) Gatewood Plantation in South Carolina.
(b) Mumford Plantation in North Carolina.
(c) O'Hara Plantation in Mississippi.
(d) Stratford Plantation in Virginia.
7. What does Alexander tell Samuel Gatewood's son he claimed so he could be assigned to his regiment?
(a) That they are half-brothers.
(b) That he is his son.
(c) That they are cousins.
(d) That they are brothers.
8. Catesby writes a letter to his wife in Part III, Chapter 32. What does he tell her has happened to Duncan?
(a) He has been severely injured and has lost an arm.
(b) He has been severely injured and has lost a leg.
(c) He has been severely injured and has lost a foot.
(d) He has been severely injured and has brain damage.
9. What happens to Duncan and Catesby during the fighting in Part III, Chapter 28?
(a) They run away.
(b) They survive and watch helplessly as wounded men die in the fields.
(c) They are both badly wounded.
(d) They are taken as prisoner.
10. By whom is the woman traveling the countryside in Part I, Chapter 1, employed?
(a) Moving Forward Organization.
(b) Works Progress Administration.
(c) Remembering Our Past Project.
(d) United America Administration.
11. In the letter that he writes from camp, where does Catesby urge his wife to stay?
(a) At Stratford with her family.
(b) At Uther Botkin's place.
(c) In Lexington with his family.
(d) Hidden in the woods.
12. After traveling to where the slaves are held, with whom does Silas's nephew have sex?
13. What is the name of Samuel Gatewood's other slave who is also planning to run away?
14. What is the name of the school that Uther Botkin's daughter attends?
(a) School for the Gifted and Talented.
(b) Augusta Female Seminary.
(c) Abby's Female Institution.
(d) Virginia Ladies College.
15. What nickname has Samuel Gatewood's son earned from his classmates?
(c) Bucking Bronco.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Alexander Kirkpatrick's wife pray for because it sometimes slows the number of wounded arriving at the hospital?
2. The woman traveling the countryside meets up with a woman named Miss Marguerite. What story does she begin telling her?
3. What does a Confederate solider tell Rufus and Jesse before shooting Rufus in the chest?
4. Who harbors a runaway slave in Part I, Chapter 7?
5. How do Alexander Kirkpatrick and his wife get to the jail after being sentenced?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)