|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the letter that he writes from camp, where does Catesby urge his wife to stay?
(a) In Lexington with his family.
(b) At Stratford with her family.
(c) At Uther Botkin's place.
(d) Hidden in the woods.
2. After dumping piles of used bandages into a pit, how many patients does Alexander Kirkpatrick's wife tell the surgeon he has waiting for the day?
3. After his essay in Part I, Chapter 13, whom does Samuel Gatewood try to convince to stop running away?
4. How do Alexander Kirkpatrick and his wife get to the jail after being sentenced?
(a) They are dragged.
(b) They walk.
(c) By carriage.
(d) By horseback.
5. After traveling to where the slaves are held, with whom does Silas's nephew have sex?
6. What is the name of the horse that Duncan has had since he was a child?
7. What do Samuel Gatewood's son and his friends do after some Union cadets rush them after listening to a speech at the military institute?
(a) They gather their weapons and return to regain their honor.
(b) They run and hide.
(c) They beg for forgiveness.
(d) The immediately begin fighting back.
8. Where does Alexander arrive in Part III, Chapter 29, just before a big fight?
(a) Fredericksburg, Virginia.
(b) Williamsburg, Virginia.
(c) Lexington, Virginia.
(d) Charleston, South Carolina.
9. By whom is the woman traveling the countryside in Part I, Chapter 1, employed?
(a) United America Administration.
(b) Remembering Our Past Project.
(c) Moving Forward Organization.
(d) Works Progress Administration.
10. At the hospital that she works at, Alexander Kirkpatrick's wife has to dump piles of used bandages into a pit. What else does she see inside the pit?
(a) Piles of human heads.
(b) Hundreds of boots.
(c) Piles of rotting human flesh.
(d) Piles of torn up clothing.
11. Where does Jesse decide to go to look for a new job?
(a) A bakery.
(c) A restaurant.
(d) A plantation.
12. Where is Alexander Kirkpatrick's wife sent to work after she is released from jail?
(a) A military hospital in Richmond, Virginia.
(b) A military hospital in Lexington, Virginia.
(c) A military hospital in Williamsburg, Virginia.
(d) A military hospital in Charleston, South Carolina.
13. Miss Marguerite begins telling the traveling young woman in Part I, Chapter 1 a story. Where does the story take place?
(a) Gatewood Plantation in South Carolina.
(b) O'Hara Plantation in Mississippi.
(c) Stratford Plantation in Virginia.
(d) Mumford Plantation in North Carolina.
14. How does Silas react after learning that his nephew had sex with a slave?
(a) He punches him.
(b) He flips over his nephew's chair and dumps breakfast and coffee on him.
(c) He yells at him and tells him to leave.
(d) He does not mind at all.
15. What are woman like Marguerite known as at the governor's party?
(c) Friendly companions.
(d) Outside wives.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the hospital that Duncan is staying at after his injuries in Part III, Chapter 32?
2. What does Alexander Kirkpatrick's wife wish she had done before she was sentenced to jail?
3. How old is Uther Botkin?
4. Where is the penitentiary that Alexander Kirkpatrick and his wife are being sent to?
5. Whom does Samuel Gatewood have help Uther Botkin's family after the death of his wife?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)