|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Alexander quickly set up as in his new regiment because of his education and ability?
(a) A cook.
(b) A courier.
(c) A lieutenant.
(d) A sergeant.
2. Where is Samuel Gatewood's son hit by a bullet during battle?
(a) His shoulder.
(b) His stomach.
(c) His leg.
(d) His arm.
3. Whom does Uther Botkin's slave wish could help her with the planting, but can't because he is in jail?
4. Who is Jesse?
(a) Uther Botkin's nephew.
(b) Uther Botkin's son.
(c) Uther Botkin's brother.
(d) Uther Botkin's slave boy.
5. What do some of Samuel's slaves offer to help Uther Botkin's slave with?
(a) The summer planting.
(b) The fall planting.
(c) The spring planting.
(d) The winter planting.
6. What must Alexander Kirkpatrick do if he wants to be pardoned from serving jail?
(a) Never sell slaves again.
(b) Never harbor slaves again.
(c) Join the Union Army.
(d) Join the Confederate Army.
7. After attending church in Part I, Chapter 9, who begs Jack to put in a good word with Samuel Gatewood?
8. To whom is Alexander Kirkpatrick married?
(a) Susie Botkin.
(b) Sallie Botkin.
(c) Sammy Botkin.
(d) Sara Botkin.
9. While at the military institute listening to a speech, what does Samuel Gatewood's son see happen to a Union flagpole?
(a) It breaks, sending the flag crashing to the ground.
(b) It is waved around while everyone cheers.
(c) It is torn down.
(d) The pole is set on fire and the flag is burned.
10. Whom does Samuel Gatewood purchase from Uther Botkin?
11. What does Silas do for a living?
(c) Buys and sells slaves.
12. What is Samuel Gatewood struggling with in Chapter 25?
(a) A way to gather his crops.
(b) A way to harvest all his apples.
(c) A way to feed his family.
(d) A way to herd in his cattle.
13. Why does Alexander demand that he be treated as a prisoner of war while in prison?
(a) Because he sides with the Confederate Army.
(b) Because he owns slaves.
(c) Because he sides with the North.
(d) Because he is an abolitionist.
14. Who arrives at the hospital to visit Duncan and apologizes for his melancholy attitude?
15. Where does Catesby tell Samuel he should send someone to get his son who has been wounded in battle?
(a) Wilson's Hotel.
(b) Jackson's Hotel.
(c) Crafton's Hotel.
(d) Viewmont Hotel.
Short Answer Questions
1. Miss Marguerite begins telling the traveling young woman in Part I, Chapter 1 a story. Where does the story take place?
2. How does Silas react after learning that his nephew had sex with a slave?
3. What happens to Duncan's horse during a battle in Chancellorsville, Virginia?
4. What is the name of the school that Uther Botkin's daughter attends?
5. Where does Jesse decide to go to look for a new job?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)