|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Alexander is sent to deliver a message to a particular group about to be hemmed in during the fighting in Part III, Chapter 28?
(a) He falls into a bramble thicket and runs away.
(b) He delivers the message and returns safely.
(c) He trips and falls down a hill, breaking his leg.
(d) He is shot.
2. What is the name of the horse that Duncan has had since he was a child?
3. How does Silas react after learning that his nephew had sex with a slave?
(a) He yells at him and tells him to leave.
(b) He flips over his nephew's chair and dumps breakfast and coffee on him.
(c) He punches him.
(d) He does not mind at all.
4. Why does a judge sentence Alexander Kirkpatrick and his wife to jail?
(a) For the mistreatment of slaves.
(b) For stealing money.
(c) For killing someone.
(d) For being abolitionists.
5. What does a Confederate solider tell Rufus and Jesse before shooting Rufus in the chest?
(a) That Abraham Lincoln has made the Emancipation Proclamation.
(b) That they are going to die.
(c) That he is lower than dirt.
(d) That he will be punished for running away.
6. Why does Alexander demand that he be treated as a prisoner of war while in prison?
(a) Because he is an abolitionist.
(b) Because he owns slaves.
(c) Because he sides with the North.
(d) Because he sides with the Confederate Army.
7. What does Samuel Gatewood do after his slave's third attempt at running away?
(a) He whips him.
(b) He ties him up.
(c) He sells him.
(d) He locks him in the cellar.
8. Where is the battle that Catesby and Samuel Gatewood's son are fighting in Part II, Chapter 19?
9. What are Alexander Kirkpatrick and his wife forced to do while in jail?
(a) Be completely silent.
(b) Make clothing for the Confederate Army.
(c) Sit in a dark room all day long.
(d) Manual labor.
10. Marguerite is interviewed by a girl from the WPA. Why are the girl's boss and father criticizing the amount of time she spends with Marguerite?
(a) They do not like that she's a mulatto.
(b) They both say the story that Marguerite is telling is untrue.
(c) Because she is a slave.
(d) Because she is a prostitute.
11. Whom does Uther Botkin's slave wish could help her with the planting, but can't because he is in jail?
12. Where does Jesse decide to go to look for a new job?
(b) A restaurant.
(c) A bakery.
(d) A plantation.
13. Where is Marguerite living in Part III, Chapter 28?
(b) New York.
(c) Dominican Republic.
(d) Nassau, the Bahamas.
14. What does the visitor bring Alexander Kirkpatrick's wife while visiting her in jail?
(a) Milk, a brush, and some candy.
(c) A freshly baked pie.
(d) Soap, cheese, and other minor gifts.
15. Why does Samuel Gatewood want his slave to be married?
(a) She is too wild and needs to settle down.
(b) She is pregnant with another slave's child.
(c) She is pregnant with his child.
(d) She is pregnant with his son's child.
Short Answer Questions
1. The woman traveling the countryside meets up with a woman named Miss Marguerite. What story does she begin telling her?
2. Whom does Marguerite accompany to an expensive gathering at the governor's mansion?
3. How many months after Uther Botkin's wife gives birth does she die?
4. What does Catesby agree to on his final bet?
5. How do Alexander Kirkpatrick and his wife get to the jail after being sentenced?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)