|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Catesby tell Samuel he should send someone to get his son who has been wounded in battle?
(a) Jackson's Hotel.
(b) Crafton's Hotel.
(c) Wilson's Hotel.
(d) Viewmont Hotel.
2. While trying to find shelter from the big storm, whom does Samuel's son find inside a barn?
3. Where does Alexander arrive in Part III, Chapter 29, just before a big fight?
(a) Lexington, Virginia.
(b) Williamsburg, Virginia.
(c) Charleston, South Carolina.
(d) Fredericksburg, Virginia.
4. What is the name of the horse that Duncan has had since he was a child?
5. What nickname has Samuel Gatewood's son earned from his classmates?
(d) Bucking Bronco.
6. Whom does Marguerite accompany to an expensive gathering at the governor's mansion?
(c) Samuel Gatewood.
7. What is the name of Samuel Gatewood's other slave who is also planning to run away?
8. As the story opens, what is the young woman traveling the countryside in search of?
(a) Those who remember her great-grandmother.
(b) Those who remember the days of slavery.
(c) Those who remember the days of the Civil War.
(d) Those who remember her great-grandfather.
9. Why does Alexander demand that he be treated as a prisoner of war while in prison?
(a) Because he is an abolitionist.
(b) Because he sides with the North.
(c) Because he owns slaves.
(d) Because he sides with the Confederate Army.
10. Why does a judge sentence Alexander Kirkpatrick and his wife to jail?
(a) For killing someone.
(b) For stealing money.
(c) For the mistreatment of slaves.
(d) For being abolitionists.
11. Two years after the big storm, what is Samuel's son guarding in Part I, Chapter 2?
(a) The area prior to the hanging of Matt Louis.
(b) The area prior to the hanging of John Brown.
(c) The area prior to the hanging of Jake Bowers.
(d) The area prior to the hanging of Mike Lewis.
12. Whom does Samuel Gatewood have help Uther Botkin's family after the death of his wife?
13. Where is the battle that Catesby and Samuel Gatewood's son are fighting in Part II, Chapter 19?
14. After dumping piles of used bandages into a pit, how many patients does Alexander Kirkpatrick's wife tell the surgeon he has waiting for the day?
15. What are Alexander Kirkpatrick and his wife forced to do while in jail?
(a) Manual labor.
(b) Make clothing for the Confederate Army.
(c) Sit in a dark room all day long.
(d) Be completely silent.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do some of Samuel's slaves offer to help Uther Botkin's slave with?
2. What is the name of Uther Botkin's wife?
3. What is the name of the essay that Samuel Gatewood writes in Part I, Chapter 13?
4. What does Silas do for a living?
5. What is the name of the family that Alexander works for food and stays with in Part III, Chapter 35?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)