|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Alexander Kirkpatrick's wife sent to work after she is released from jail?
(a) A military hospital in Lexington, Virginia.
(b) A military hospital in Richmond, Virginia.
(c) A military hospital in Williamsburg, Virginia.
(d) A military hospital in Charleston, South Carolina.
2. What is the name of the house that Silas arrives at where there is prostitution and evening entertainment?
(a) Chief's House.
(b) King's House.
(c) Commander's House.
(d) Captain's House.
3. Where is the battle that Catesby and Samuel Gatewood's son are fighting in Part II, Chapter 19?
4. What must Alexander Kirkpatrick do if he wants to be pardoned from serving jail?
(a) Join the Confederate Army.
(b) Join the Union Army.
(c) Never harbor slaves again.
(d) Never sell slaves again.
5. How does Silas react after learning that his nephew had sex with a slave?
(a) He does not mind at all.
(b) He flips over his nephew's chair and dumps breakfast and coffee on him.
(c) He yells at him and tells him to leave.
(d) He punches him.
6. How many years does the judge sentence Alexander Kirkpatrick and his wife to serve in jail?
7. What is the name of the camp that Catesby sends his wife a letter from in Part II, Chapter 14?
(a) Camp Williamsburg.
(b) Camp Birmingham.
(c) Camp Bartow.
(d) Camp Charleston.
8. What is the name of Silas's nephew?
(a) Enoch Ommar.
(b) Ernest Ommon.
(c) Ellam Omohundru.
(d) Erik Ophikeans.
9. What does the visitor bring Alexander Kirkpatrick's wife while visiting her in jail?
(a) Milk, a brush, and some candy.
(c) A freshly baked pie.
(d) Soap, cheese, and other minor gifts.
10. How do Alexander Kirkpatrick and his wife get to the jail after being sentenced?
(a) By carriage.
(b) They walk.
(c) They are dragged.
(d) By horseback.
11. Why does the surgeon in Part III, Chapter 28, insist that all the Union soldiers be taken to another surgeon for the rest of the evening?
(a) He is too tired to work.
(b) He is too emotionally upset to work.
(c) He wants them to all die.
(d) He cannot be certain he will not intentionally harm them.
12. Whom does Marguerite accompany to an expensive gathering at the governor's mansion?
(d) Samuel Gatewood.
13. What is the name of Samuel Gatewood's wife?
14. What is Samuel Gatewood struggling with in Chapter 25?
(a) A way to harvest all his apples.
(b) A way to feed his family.
(c) A way to gather his crops.
(d) A way to herd in his cattle.
15. In the letter that he writes from camp, where does Catesby urge his wife to stay?
(a) At Uther Botkin's place.
(b) At Stratford with her family.
(c) Hidden in the woods.
(d) In Lexington with his family.
Short Answer Questions
1. The woman traveling the countryside hears a lot about a storm. What is the name of the storm?
2. Who arrives at the hospital to visit Duncan and apologizes for his melancholy attitude?
3. Where is the military institute located that Samuel Gatewood's son attends?
4. What nickname has Samuel Gatewood's son earned from his classmates?
5. What does a Confederate solider tell Rufus and Jesse before shooting Rufus in the chest?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)