|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part IV: Chapters Fifty-Four through Fifty-Eight.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Jesse?
(a) Uther Botkin's brother.
(b) Uther Botkin's nephew.
(c) Uther Botkin's slave boy.
(d) Uther Botkin's son.
2. The work Alexander Kirkpatrick's wife does at the hospital is trying until she realizes the truth of her cousin's attitude. What does she realize?
(a) That she needs to realize that her life is also very fragile.
(b) That she must not ever cry or let herself feel for the soldiers.
(c) That she needs to be more compassionate and really feel for the soldiers.
(d) That the nurses can do everything they can for the wounded, but that the nurses themselves must go on living.
3. How does Silas react after learning that his nephew had sex with a slave?
(a) He yells at him and tells him to leave.
(b) He punches him.
(c) He flips over his nephew's chair and dumps breakfast and coffee on him.
(d) He does not mind at all.
4. What does Catesby say to a fellow soldier right before he dies?
(a) "The Union soldiers will not give up fighting until every man and boy is dead."
(b) Georgians will not give up fighting until every man and boy is dead."
(c) "I will not give up fighting until every man and boy is dead."
(d) "Virginians would fight until every man and boy was dead."
5. What happens to Jesse and several other black soldiers after they are captured by the Confederates in Part IV, Chapter 56?
(a) They are sent directly to prison.
(b) They release them with a warning to return home.
(c) They are beaten and shackled.
(d) The men are being released to former masters, providing those masters want to take them, or they go to jail.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the house that Silas arrives at where there is prostitution and evening entertainment?
2. Who stumbles into Alexander's camp in Part IV, Chapter 54?
3. As the story opens, what is the young woman traveling the countryside in search of?
4. Where is the penitentiary that Alexander Kirkpatrick and his wife are being sent to?
5. Whom does Marguerite accompany to an expensive gathering at the governor's mansion?
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)