* The narrator describes the Chesapeake Bay and Rass Island, which will be a major backdrop for this story.
* The Bradshaws have lived on Rass Island for over two hundred years.
* The narrator says that neither she or her sister will remain on the island. Her mother is the last Bradshaw to stay on Rass Island.
* Louise is thirteen and Call is fourteen. They work together to catch crabs to sell to Otis. Neither of them have very many other friends.
* Call's father is dead, and he is a pudgy boy who has no sense of humor and never understands jokes because he takes them literally.
* They talk about Mr. Rice, a teacher at the school, who most of the girls in town are in love with because he is single.
* Louise comes home in overalls to find her very feminine sister who plans to write...
This section contains 2,029 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)