|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator states in the opening of Chapter 79, “Henry Phipps had always been excessively afraid of” what?
2. The narrator states in Chapter 91 that at “the instant Henry Phipps discharged the pistol,” who “died in her bed”?
3. When Jack met Henry, Henry told him he was an orphan and that he was to be sent where to live with other orphans, according to Jack’s story in Chapter 71?
4. When Mr. Buckle mentions the name Jack to Henry in Chapter 73, Henry’s pulse is said to be “racing as it had raced the day he had been delivered at the door of” whose orphanage?
5. Mr. Makepeace describes what historical court case involving an heir in Chapter 79?
Short Essay Questions
1. What physical conflict takes place in the climax of the novel in Chapters 88 and 89?
2. How is Tobias’s son treated in Chapters 52 and 53? What further complications does Tobias encounter in these chapters?
3. Who appears to meet with Henry in Chapter 73? Why?
4. What issues regarding money does Tobias deal with in Chapter 50?
5. How is the meeting between Jack, Tobias, and the Thief-taker described in Chapter 67?
6. What outcome is revealed for Jack and Mercy Larkin in the denouement of the novel?
7. What exchange takes place between Tobias and Dr. Grieves at Mr. Butler’s house in Chapter 50?
8. What discussion takes place between Mr. Butler, Mr. Makepeace, and Mr. Phipps in Chapter 79?
9. What is discovered about Elizabeth Warriner’s condition in Chapter 86?
10. What secret about Henry does Jack share with Constable in Chapter 47?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the character of Silas Smith in the narrative. How old is Silas Smith? What is his principle “occupation”? How does Silas go about apprenticing Jack Maggs as a thief?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the reactions of Percy Butler, Tobias Oates, Elizabeth Warriner, and Mary Oates to the first hypnosis of Jack Maggs. What is discovered about Jack’s history through the hypnosis? What do these characters decide to do about Jack Maggs? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the character of Tobias Oates in Jack Maggs. How old is Oates described as being in Chapters 9-11? How is his demeanor described? What other guests attend the dinner party and how do they relate to Tobias Oates?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)