|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of the Character Sketch that Tobias writes for the Observer in Chapter 50?
2. What does the doctor demand as payment for his services after he’s saved Tobias’s baby from infection in Chapter 53?
3. Whose body does the Thief-taker say he found “when everyone said he was touring in the Pyrenees” in Chapter 67?
4. What was the name on the pill bottles that Mary Britten began selling instead of sausages, according to Jack’s letter in Chapter 58?
5. Where are Tobias and Jack helped aboard a coach in the beginning of Chapter 77?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Tobias gone about securing money to cover his debts in Chapters 56 and 57?
2. Where are Jack and Tobias going in Chapters 62-63? What exchange of secrets takes place on the journey?
3. What exchange takes place between Tobias and Dr. Grieves at Mr. Butler’s house in Chapter 50?
4. Where have Tobias and Jack arrived in the beginning of Chapter 81? What is their objective at this setting?
5. What is discovered about Elizabeth Warriner’s condition in Chapter 86?
6. What occurrences have shaped the prospects of Tobias Oates in Chapter 61?
7. What exchange takes place between Mercy and Jack in Chapter 84?
8. How do Jack and Tobias escape Gloucester in Chapter 70? What dangers do they face?
9. What issues regarding money does Tobias deal with in Chapter 50?
10. What discussion takes place between Mr. Butler, Mr. Makepeace, and Mr. Phipps in Chapter 79?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of Mary Oates and Elizabeth Warriner in the narrative. What is the relationship between Mary and Elizabeth like? How do these women differ? How are they alike?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the history of Australia as a penal colony for the British. When was Australia discovered and colonized? How did it come to be a penal colony? How was the colony structured? When was the penal colony dissolved? How do you think author Peter Carey’s Australian heritage influenced his writing of Jack Maggs?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the character of Mr. Makepeace and the information gained about Jack Maggs by this character in Chapters 31-33. What is revealed about Jack’s conditional pardon? How do the names created in the novel by author Peter Carey relate to those created by Charles Dickens?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)