|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jack tell Mr. Spinks he should never look in the eye in Chapter 46?
2. Who is said to be sleeping in the nursery with Tobias’s son after the doctor’s departure in Chapter 54?
3. Whose name does Jack insist that Tobias never repeat again in Chapter 73?
4. What author does Jack say he never heard Silas mention, though his schemes would have met with his approval, in his letter from Chapter 59?
5. The letters that Jack sends to Henry Phipps are written with what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who appears to meet with Henry in Chapter 73? Why?
2. What issues regarding money does Tobias deal with in Chapter 50?
3. What exchange takes place between Tobias and Dr. Grieves at Mr. Butler’s house in Chapter 50?
4. Why does Mary go to the home of Mary Britten in Chapter 77?
5. Where have Tobias and Jack arrived in the beginning of Chapter 81? What is their objective at this setting?
6. In Jack’s recollections from his childhood, how does he describe the altercation that took place between Ma Britten, himself, and Sophina in Chapter 60?
7. How does Jack describe the punishment he and Sophina received from Ma Britten in Chapter 65?
8. To whom does Jack write a letter in Chapter 58? What does he relate in the beginning of the letter?
9. What physical conflict takes place in the climax of the novel in Chapters 88 and 89?
10. How is Tobias’s son treated in Chapters 52 and 53? What further complications does Tobias encounter in these chapters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the “phantom” which haunts Jack Maggs in the novel. How is this creature described in appearance? What symbolism is associated with the phantom? Do you believe the phantom is “real” in Jack’s mind or is it just a suggestion from Tobias that has taken control?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the character of Mr. Makepeace and the information gained about Jack Maggs by this character in Chapters 31-33. What is revealed about Jack’s conditional pardon? How do the names created in the novel by author Peter Carey relate to those created by Charles Dickens?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Dr. Hardwick in the narrative. How is Dr. Hardwick’s home described when the cabbie takes Tobias there? How does Dr. Grieves treat the infant John Oates? What does he demand for payment? Why?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)