|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many shots are fired during the President's appearance in New York?
2. How many times is the President shot?
3. When does Cross learn about Jill's death?
4. Where does Cross move his family to after receiving several hangup phone calls?
5. What was the occupation of the Truth School killer's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the plan that Jack will use to kill the President.
2. How does the killer respond when the message board censor removes vivid postings regarding the Truth School murders?
3. Why is the general's son a threat to Jack?
4. Where is Roosevelt Military Academy located? Name two reasons it is important to this novel.
5. How does the investigator arrange a situation in which he could take down the Truth School killer? Explain this reasoning.
6. Why doesn't the message board censor go directly to police with the information when it first starts appearing?
7. What does Jack's killing of the general and his son show about his character?
8. What is the theme of the Truth School killer, and how does it explain his motive?
9. Why does the President decide to honor all of his scheduled appearances? Is this vanity or valor, and why?
10. Why do Jack and Jill get another person to act as hit man in one of their murders?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define symbolism. Discuss fathers as a symbol in Jack and Jill. How does this symbol relate to the story? Why is this an important aspect of symbolism in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
What is the difference between tone and mood in works of literature? Discuss both tone and mood in Jack and Jill.
Essay Topic 3
Define exposition and discuss the exposition of this novel. What does the reader learn from the exposition in Jack and Jill? Is the information consistent throughout the book or does it change? Explain your answer and reasoning.
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)