|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who spots a kid hanging around the school and sends him away?
2. How old is the Truth School killer?
3. Why does Jack kill a young boy?
4. What does the item held by Jill reveal to investigators?
5. How many New York City police officers greet the President at the airport?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do investigators discover when they go to the message board subscriber's home? What does their finding imply?
2. Where is Roosevelt Military Academy located? Name two reasons it is important to this novel.
3. What is the theme of the Truth School killer, and how does it explain his motive?
4. Explain the plan that Jack will use to kill the President.
5. What does the note on the President's flowers sent to him at the New York hotel say, and why is the note so alarming?
6. Why is the general who is killed a threat to Jack?
7. What is unusual about Jill's phone call to the President?
8. Why does the President decide to honor all of his scheduled appearances? Is this vanity or valor, and why?
9. Briefly discuss the marital problems between the Johnsons. Why are these problems important to this novel?
10. Why is the general's son a threat to Jack?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss family as a theme in the novel. Who demonstrates the importance of family? Who detests the role of family? What connection to the family theme do the Jack and Jill killings have?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the genre of Jack and Jill and the sub-genre category under which the novel falls. Is there another genre the novel might also be classified as? Support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Define and discuss climax in literature. When does it occur? Discuss the climax of Jack and Jill in detail.
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)