|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is unusual to see in Cross' neighborhood?
2. Who was the first murder victim at the school and left in plain view?
3. Who positively identifies the second student victim?
4. Who pushes the police chief against the wall at the crime scene where Natalie Sheehan was killed?
5. What does the reader know in Chapter 1 about the mindset of the child killer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the celebrity speaker at a function where Jack and Jill get their second victim? Could this speaker have been the second victim? Why or why not?
2. What is the name of the federal agent who is always first on the scene of the Jack and Jill murder scenes? Why does the investigator immediately rule this agent out as a suspect?
3. Why do Jack and Jill release the taped version of their first killing?
4. What information does the investigator learn at his first White House task force meeting that is key to his investigation?
5. Who assigns the major investigator in this book to the Jack and Jill case, and why?
6. What does the main investigator in this book like about the school principal? How does she bridge the gap between rich and poor?
7. Who watches the President sneak out of the White House, and why is it so dangerous?
8. What is the investigator's first impression of the President? How does his meeting with the President affect his investigation of the school killings?
9. Which law enforcement agency employs the major investigator in this novel? Is he well-liked by his supervisor?
10. According to Jack and Jill, what is their motive? What is similar about the first two Jack and Jill victims?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the life of the author. Who wrote this novel? What is his background? List his other published works and anything special about this book in relation to others the author may have written.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Cross as the protagonist of this book. What is the definition of a protagonist? What characteristics does a protagonist usually have? Does Cross exemplify those qualities? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motive of the Truth School killer. What role did his personal background play in his decision to kill? What role, if any, did his medication play in the murders?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)