|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gives Cross a tip about the school killer that he has never heard rumor of previously?
2. Who has always called the police to report the Jack and Jill murders?
3. Where does the suspect chased by Cross and his partner try to go when cornered?
4. Why is Cross fascinated with the Truth School principal?
5. Who sends the videotaped murder to the media company?
Short Essay Questions
1. What element is missing from the Jack and Jill murders that the investigator has seen in other serial killings? What leads the investigator to this conclusion?
2. Why is the investigator certain he will be fired when he arrives on the scene of the second Jack and Jill murder? What does the incident show the reader about his relationship with his boss?
3. What is the name of the federal agent who is always first on the scene of the Jack and Jill murder scenes? Why does the investigator immediately rule this agent out as a suspect?
4. What is important about the age and gender of the first Truth School victim?
5. What actually kills the victim in Kevin Hawkins' first attack? What does this foreshadow?
6. Why does the investigator work the Truth School murder case in his spare time? Who encourages him to do so?
7. What role does the major detective in this novel play in the investigation of the Truth School killings, and what is unusual about his role?
8. What are the code names for the President and first lady? Is this a coincidence? Why or why not?
9. What is the investigator's first impression of the President? How does his meeting with the President affect his investigation of the school killings?
10. What happens when investigators approach a man who is known as Chop-it-off-Charlie, and why does this seem to be an admission of guilt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Name and define the five types of conflict. Which conflict prevailed in Jack and Jill? Could the conflict have been categorized as another type? If so, which and why? If not, defend your response.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the difference between static and dynamic characters. Identify the static and dynamic characters of this novel and explain how each of them fit the category to which you have assigned them.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motive of the Truth School killer. What role did his personal background play in his decision to kill? What role, if any, did his medication play in the murders?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)