|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who believes the death of the chased suspect in previous chapters closes the Truth School case?
2. Who is the celebrity speaker at a party in which Jack and Jill plan to enact their second murder?
3. Why is there concern when the President sneaks out of the White House?
4. Which installment in Patterson's Alex Cross series is this book?
5. Where is the little girl's body left after she is murdered in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the celebrity speaker at a function where Jack and Jill get their second victim? Could this speaker have been the second victim? Why or why not?
2. Who is the major investigator in Jack and Jill? How is he important to Patterson's series?
3. What role does the major detective in this novel play in the investigation of the Truth School killings, and what is unusual about his role?
4. What troubles the major investigator in this novel about the Truth School case?
5. Who assigns the major investigator in this book to the Jack and Jill case, and why?
6. What happens when investigators approach a man who is known as Chop-it-off-Charlie, and why does this seem to be an admission of guilt?
7. Why aren't the Truth School killings a priority for the law enforcement agency? What does this seem to say about the police department?
8. Why do Jack and Jill release the taped version of their first killing?
9. What does the main investigator in this book like about the school principal? How does she bridge the gap between rich and poor?
10. What element is missing from the Jack and Jill murders that the investigator has seen in other serial killings? What leads the investigator to this conclusion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the tone of Jack and Jill. How does the author reveal the tone, and from whose point of view? Is the tone consistent throughout the book or does it seem to fluctuate? Include examples from the story with your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss family as a theme in the novel. Who demonstrates the importance of family? Who detests the role of family? What connection to the family theme do the Jack and Jill killings have?
Essay Topic 3
What is the difference between tone and mood in works of literature? Discuss both tone and mood in Jack and Jill.
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)