|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the little girl killed in Chapter 1?
2. Where does Cross' son attend school?
3. What happens while Cross and his partner are chasing their suspect on one side of town?
4. What White House meeting does Cross attend?
5. Who searches the crime scene where Natalie Sheehan was killed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is important about the age and gender of the first Truth School victim?
2. What are the code names for the President and first lady? Is this a coincidence? Why or why not?
3. Is the first murder by the Truth School killer as calculated as the first Jack and Jill murder? Why or why not?
4. Why aren't the Truth School killings a priority for the law enforcement agency? What does this seem to say about the police department?
5. Who is the celebrity speaker at a function where Jack and Jill get their second victim? Could this speaker have been the second victim? Why or why not?
6. According to Jack and Jill, what is their motive? What is similar about the first two Jack and Jill victims?
7. Which news media company receives a taped version of Jack and Jill's first murder? What is important about the tape?
8. How does Chop-it-off-Charlie die, and what do police superiors decide due to his death?
9. Which law enforcement agency employs the major investigator in this novel? Is he well-liked by his supervisor?
10. What does the main investigator in this book like about the school principal? How does she bridge the gap between rich and poor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss family as a theme in the novel. Who demonstrates the importance of family? Who detests the role of family? What connection to the family theme do the Jack and Jill killings have?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the difference between static and dynamic characters. Identify the static and dynamic characters of this novel and explain how each of them fit the category to which you have assigned them.
Essay Topic 3
Define symbolism. Discuss fathers as a symbol in Jack and Jill. How does this symbol relate to the story? Why is this an important aspect of symbolism in the novel?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)