|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the celebrity speaker at a party in which Jack and Jill plan to enact their second murder?
2. How is a little girl lured into talking with a stranger in Chapter 1?
3. How many murder cases does Cross investigate in this book?
4. Why do the killers in the videotaped murder say they are killing?
5. Why is there concern when the President sneaks out of the White House?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who foils a kidnapping attempt at an area mall, and what is ironic about the attempt?
2. Why is the investigator certain he will be fired when he arrives on the scene of the second Jack and Jill murder? What does the incident show the reader about his relationship with his boss?
3. What element is missing from the Jack and Jill murders that the investigator has seen in other serial killings? What leads the investigator to this conclusion?
4. According to Jack and Jill, what is their motive? What is similar about the first two Jack and Jill victims?
5. What does the Truth School killer see that makes him angry with the major investigator in this book, and what does it tell the reader early in the story?
6. Why aren't the Truth School killings a priority for the law enforcement agency? What does this seem to say about the police department?
7. What does the main investigator in this book like about the school principal? How does she bridge the gap between rich and poor?
8. Why do Jack and Jill release the taped version of their first killing?
9. Who is the celebrity speaker at a function where Jack and Jill get their second victim? Could this speaker have been the second victim? Why or why not?
10. What is important about the age and gender of the first Truth School victim?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Cross as the protagonist of this book. What is the definition of a protagonist? What characteristics does a protagonist usually have? Does Cross exemplify those qualities? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Define and discuss climax in literature. When does it occur? Discuss the climax of Jack and Jill in detail.
Essay Topic 3
What is the difference between conflict and crisis in a novel? How are they similar? Relate the differences and similarities, specifically to Jack and Jill.
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)