|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Kevin Hawkins' legal job?
2. What happens while Cross and his partner are chasing their suspect on one side of town?
3. Who gives Cross souvenirs for his children?
4. If Jack and Jill's killing style has sexual undertones, what kind of killing style does the little girl's murderer exhibit?
5. Who makes arrangements for an investigation into the Truth School killings?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who assigns the major investigator in this book to the Jack and Jill case, and why?
2. Why is the investigator certain he will be fired when he arrives on the scene of the second Jack and Jill murder? What does the incident show the reader about his relationship with his boss?
3. What does the main investigator in this book like about the school principal? How does she bridge the gap between rich and poor?
4. What troubles the major investigator in this novel about the Truth School case?
5. What actually kills the victim in Kevin Hawkins' first attack? What does this foreshadow?
6. Which news media company receives a taped version of Jack and Jill's first murder? What is important about the tape?
7. What information does the investigator learn at his first White House task force meeting that is key to his investigation?
8. How do Jack and Jill attack their first victim, and why is this attack important?
9. Who is the second victim of the Truth School killer, and what does his death say about the killer?
10. What are the code names for the President and first lady? Is this a coincidence? Why or why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motive of the Truth School killer. What role did his personal background play in his decision to kill? What role, if any, did his medication play in the murders?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the tone of Jack and Jill. How does the author reveal the tone, and from whose point of view? Is the tone consistent throughout the book or does it seem to fluctuate? Include examples from the story with your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
What is a motif in literature? After defining the term, select a motif from Jack and Jill and discuss it in detail.
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)