|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the President's name?
2. Who has always been first on the scene of the Jack and Jill murders?
3. What word do the killers in the videotaped murder use to describe their actions?
4. Who do Cross and his partner chase across a courtyard as they investigate the school killings?
5. What is the Secret Service's code name for the President?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which news media company receives a taped version of Jack and Jill's first murder? What is important about the tape?
2. What happens when investigators approach a man who is known as Chop-it-off-Charlie, and why does this seem to be an admission of guilt?
3. What is unusual about Kevin Hawkins' first attack in the story? How does it foreshadow events in the book?
4. How does Chop-it-off-Charlie die, and what do police superiors decide due to his death?
5. What is the name of the federal agent who is always first on the scene of the Jack and Jill murder scenes? Why does the investigator immediately rule this agent out as a suspect?
6. Why do Jack and Jill release the taped version of their first killing?
7. What are the code names for the President and first lady? Is this a coincidence? Why or why not?
8. What clue is intentionally left behind at the first Jack and Jill murder scene, and what role does it seem to play in the case?
9. Why aren't the Truth School killings a priority for the law enforcement agency? What does this seem to say about the police department?
10. Which law enforcement agency employs the major investigator in this novel? Is he well-liked by his supervisor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Cross as the protagonist of this book. What is the definition of a protagonist? What characteristics does a protagonist usually have? Does Cross exemplify those qualities? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motive of the Jack and Jill killers. How did their inside position help them in their mission to kill the President? What was there motive for killing him? Why did they murder others if their ultimate goal was the President?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the genre of Jack and Jill and the sub-genre category under which the novel falls. Is there another genre the novel might also be classified as? Support your answers.
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)