|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who invites Cross to the White House?
(a) The FBI.
(b) The President.
(c) A Secret Service agent.
(d) The chief.
2. What happens while Cross and his partner are chasing their suspect on one side of town?
(a) The department is planning to fire them.
(b) A killer ransacks Cross' house.
(c) Cross loses a shoe.
(d) The real killer makes another attempt across town.
3. Who initially saves Kevin Hawkins' first target?
(b) A witness.
(c) Another drug dealer.
(d) The police.
4. What clue remnant does Cross find near the school crime scene after the first murder?
(a) An envelope with lunch money in it.
(b) A cotton candy bag.
(c) A balloon.
(d) A candy wrapper.
5. To whom does Cross speak regarding the previously unheard rumor he receives regarding the school killings?
(a) The principal.
(b) The FBI.
(c) His partner.
(d) The President.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose murder is depicted on the videotape received by the media company?
2. Where is the little girl killed in Chapter 1?
3. Who believes the death of the chased suspect in previous chapters closes the Truth School case?
4. What does Cross call his grandmother?
5. What does Cross learn at the White House meeting?
Short Essay Questions
1. What troubles the major investigator in this novel about the Truth School case?
2. Who is the second victim of the Truth School killer, and what does his death say about the killer?
3. How do Jack and Jill attack their first victim, and why is this attack important?
4. What is important about the age and gender of the first Truth School victim?
5. What clue is intentionally left behind at the first Jack and Jill murder scene, and what role does it seem to play in the case?
6. Why is the investigator certain he will be fired when he arrives on the scene of the second Jack and Jill murder? What does the incident show the reader about his relationship with his boss?
7. What actually kills the victim in Kevin Hawkins' first attack? What does this foreshadow?
8. What is unusual about Kevin Hawkins' first attack in the story? How does it foreshadow events in the book?
9. Why does the investigator work the Truth School murder case in his spare time? Who encourages him to do so?
10. What element is missing from the Jack and Jill murders that the investigator has seen in other serial killings? What leads the investigator to this conclusion?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)