|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What dominates much of Victor's diary entries for 1939?
(a) War with France.
(b) War with Poland.
(c) War with England.
(d) War with Russia.
2. In what month of 1940 does Klemperer send his stamp collection and important papers to his friend Annemarie for safeguarding?
3. In 1938, Germany annexes __________ in a non-violent political victory known today as the Anschluss.
(b) The Sudetenland.
4. Klemperer notes with surprise that many troops are being sent to:
(b) The west.
(c) The south.
(d) The east.
5. By the end of 1940, clothing has become so scarce that:
(a) The recently deceased are stripped before being cremated.
(b) The ill are stripped before admission to the hospital.
(c) People are dressing in flour sacks.
(d) People are dying from exposure due to lack of proper clothes.
6. In what month of 1939 are the Klemperers notified that, beginning April 1940, their house will be rented to an Aryan?
7. Jewish bank accounts are _____________ and ready cash is seized.
(a) Divided among heirs.
(b) Listed in the official party newspaper.
(c) Signed over to the Palestinian government.
8. Which of the following countries is NOT one of those the Nazis first occupy in 1940?
9. Bombings occur in the West, then in Berlin, and then occasionally in:
10. How many times does Georg send the Klemperers money in 1938?
11. While in Berlin, Klemperer learns that anti-government elements frequently copy thousands of subversive or censored handbills _______________ and distribute them secretly.
(a) In the United States.
(b) On underground printing presses.
(c) At printing companies in neutral countries.
(d) By hand.
12. What other means of saving money does Victor consider but ultimately discard as unworkable?
(a) Cancelling his newspaper subscription.
(b) Stopping smoking.
(c) Giving up coffee.
(d) Stopping drinking.
13. In late 1937, Hjalmar Schacht retires as the minister of ____________.
14. By the middle of 1937, Victor and Eva are taking long country drives for what purpose?
(b) To see relatives.
(c) To discuss escape plans.
(d) To search for retail items.
15. What is the purpose of the yellow sign that the government puts on Klemperer's fence corners?
(a) It announces that the property is under construction.
(b) It announces that the property is for sale.
(c) It announces that the property belongs to a mixed-race couple.
(d) It announces that the property belongs to a Jew.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does nearly every Jew remaining in Germany, including the Klemperers, try to do in response to the rumors of ghettos?
2. Which concentration camp does Victor report hearing rumors of?
3. Although all of the Klemperers are suffering from ill health and depression in 1940, what specifically happens to Grete?
4. For most of 1937, Klemperer finds himself believing that most Germans have always been somewhat ____________.
5. The Nazis call the invasion of which country off?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)