|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In which city does Klemperer note that Jews are rumored to have been forcibly relocated to ghettos?
2. What does Klemperer call the building in which their apartment is located?
(a) The Hitler House.
(b) The Dresden Dump.
(c) The Jews' House.
(d) The Ghetto.
3. By the end of 1940, clothing has become so scarce that:
(a) The recently deceased are stripped before being cremated.
(b) The ill are stripped before admission to the hospital.
(c) People are dying from exposure due to lack of proper clothes.
(d) People are dressing in flour sacks.
4. When the police search the Klemperers' home in November, what besides books is taken?
(a) Victor's saber, which he carried in World War I.
(b) Victor's musket, which he carried in World War I.
(c) Eva's jewelry.
(d) Victor's automobile.
5. How many times does Georg send the Klemperers money in 1938?
6. In his entries of 1939, Victor Klemperer spends some time pondering the relationship between Jews and:
(b) Other European nations.
(c) The Vatican.
(d) The historic German nation.
7. As bombardment in western Germany becomes more fierce, refugees from that region begin to move:
8. When the Klemperers take their second eight-day automobile vacation later in 1937 where do they go?
(a) The North Sea.
(b) The Mediterranean.
(c) The Baltic Sea.
(d) The Aegean.
9. Bombings occur in the West, then in Berlin, and then occasionally in:
10. In late 1937, Hjalmar Schacht retires as the minister of ____________.
11. Jewish bank accounts are _____________ and ready cash is seized.
(a) Divided among heirs.
(b) Listed in the official party newspaper.
(c) Signed over to the Palestinian government.
12. Who accompanies the Klemperers to Berlin?
13. What is the purpose of the offices of "science" that the Nazi government establishes?
(a) To help Germans better achieve economic domination.
(b) To explain racial inferiority as a natural law.
(c) To develop an atomic weapon.
(d) To develop better propaganda and indoctrination methods.
14. What does Victor begin doing with his personal items?
(a) Giving them away.
(b) Packing them in preparation for the move.
(c) Selling them in yard sales.
(d) Selling them to pawnbrokers.
15. In 1939, what is issued to the Jews?
(a) Rationing cards.
(b) Special 'Jew' armbands.
(c) The dates on which they must move to the nearest ghetto.
(d) Special 'Jew' identity cards.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1938, Germany annexes __________ in a non-violent political victory known today as the Anschluss.
2. By the middle of 1937, Victor and Eva are taking long country drives for what purpose?
3. Most of the Jews in the ghetto consider an amphibious landing in England:
4. For most of 1937, Klemperer finds himself believing that most Germans have always been somewhat ____________.
5. In addition to continuing dental problems, what health problem does Eva suffer from during 1937?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)