|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which concentration camp does Victor report hearing rumors of?
2. When the police search the Klemperers' home in November, what besides books is taken?
(a) Victor's musket, which he carried in World War I.
(b) Eva's jewelry.
(c) Victor's automobile.
(d) Victor's saber, which he carried in World War I.
3. In what month of 1940 does Klemperer send his stamp collection and important papers to his friend Annemarie for safeguarding?
4. As bombardment in western Germany becomes more fierce, refugees from that region begin to move:
5. How do the Klemperers mitigate maintenance costs?
(a) Eva serves as an amateur mechanic.
(b) Victor serves as an amateur mechanic.
(c) The Klemperers neglect all but the most major mechanical needs.
(d) The Klemperers' neighbor, who is a mechanic, does most of the work on their car.
6. What city does Gusti Weighardt write the Klemperers she is moving to?
7. Which tragedy does Klemperer believe reflects poorly on Hitler's government?
(a) The crashing of the Hindenburg.
(b) The natural gas explosion in New London, Texas.
(c) The sinking of the Bismarck.
(d) The Black Famine.
8. Which of Victor's relatives dies in October 1937?
(a) Maria, his sister-in-law.
(b) Eva, his wife.
(c) Georg, his brother.
(d) Grete, his sister.
9. One of Victor's entries makes note of the establishment of which automaker's factory?
(b) General Motors.
10. In 1938, Germany annexes __________ in a non-violent political victory known today as the Anschluss.
(c) The Sudetenland.
11. In addition to continuing dental problems, what health problem does Eva suffer from during 1937?
12. In late 1937, Hjalmar Schacht retires as the minister of ____________.
13. What word does Klemperer use for the first time (on April 9, 1939) to describe the German-Italian alliance?
(b) Italo-Prussian Alliance.
(d) Prusso-Italian Coalition.
14. Where are the Klemperers told they will have to live after their house is rented?
(a) The Dölzchen ghetto.
(b) The Dresden ghetto.
(c) Their old apartment in Dresden.
(d) The Berlin ghetto.
15. What does Klemperer expect in the wake of the assassination attempt that does not seem to materialize?
(a) Deportation to concentration camps.
(b) Forced relocation to ghettos.
(c) Immediate anti-Semitic reprisals.
(d) Additional anti-Jew laws.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Klemperer applies to the American Consulate in Berlin, what number is he given when he is assigned to the immigrant waiting list?
2. What U.S. town does Betty emigrate to?
3. Some bombings are particularly devastating to Berlin and:
4. Credible rumors circulate that Jews in occupied __________ are treated very severely.
5. What dominates much of Victor's diary entries for 1939?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)