|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where are the Klemperers told they will have to live after their house is rented?
(a) The Dölzchen ghetto.
(b) The Dresden ghetto.
(c) The Berlin ghetto.
(d) Their old apartment in Dresden.
2. By the middle of 1937, Victor and Eva are taking long country drives for what purpose?
(a) To see relatives.
(c) To discuss escape plans.
(d) To search for retail items.
3. What U.S. town does Georg emigrate to?
(a) New Philadelphia.
4. When the police search the Klemperers' home in November, what besides books is taken?
(a) Victor's automobile.
(b) Eva's jewelry.
(c) Victor's saber, which he carried in World War I.
(d) Victor's musket, which he carried in World War I.
5. What is the purpose of the yellow sign that the government puts on Klemperer's fence corners?
(a) It announces that the property is under construction.
(b) It announces that the property belongs to a Jew.
(c) It announces that the property is for sale.
(d) It announces that the property belongs to a mixed-race couple.
6. By what name is the November 1938 pogrom conducted by the Nazis commonly referred to?
(a) The Shoah.
(b) The Catastrophe.
(c) The Night of the Long Knives.
7. In 1938, _____________ is partitioned and Germany claims a huge part of the country.
8. During 1940, so-called mixed-race Jews, who were previously allowed in the military, are:
(a) Sent to the ghettos.
(b) Excluded and treated as Jews.
(c) Sent to the concentration camps.
(d) Granted amnesty and given non-Jewish surnames.
9. In addition to Jews and Catholics, what group of people comes under discrimination in 1938?
10. Jews face much stricter rationing than ___________.
(a) Any other race.
(c) All other Europeans.
11. What does Klemperer do with the papers he does not send for safekeeping?
(a) Burns them.
(b) Takes them with him to the ghetto.
(c) Shreds them.
(d) Buries them.
12. When Klemperer applies to the American Consulate in Berlin, what number is he given when he is assigned to the immigrant waiting list?
13. Most of the Jews in the ghetto consider an amphibious landing in England:
(a) Completely impossible.
(b) The only way to end the war.
(c) A huge risk, but worth the attempt.
(d) Absolutely possible.
14. Credible rumors circulate that Jews in occupied __________ are treated very severely.
15. In December 1940, what are Jews ordered to begin wearing?
(a) Yellow armbands.
(b) Yellow yarmulkes.
(c) Yellow shoes.
(d) Yellow jackets.
Short Answer Questions
1. In May, Victor and Eva take a five-day automobile vacation. Which city is their first stop?
2. Which two countries enter the war in 1939, along with Poland?
3. In 1938, Germany annexes __________ in a non-violent political victory known today as the Anschluss.
4. One of Victor's entries makes note of the establishment of which automaker's factory?
5. In the middle of 1938, Jews are required to make their name 'Jewish' for easy identification. What does Victor begin calling himself in order to comply with this requirement?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)