|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Victor's sister, Grete, after she suffers a mental collapse and a heart attack?
(a) She is sent to the hospital.
(b) She is placed in a nursing home.
(c) She is placed in a sanatorium.
(d) She is sent to Buchenwald and put to death.
2. In October 1938, when Victor becomes ill, why can't he obtain medical attention?
(a) Because he is in a mixed-race marriage.
(b) Because he is a Jew.
(c) Because he has no insurance.
(d) Because he has no money.
3. In 1938, Germany annexes __________ in a non-violent political victory known today as the Anschluss.
(c) The Sudetenland.
4. By 1940, war _________ commonplace.
(a) Crimes are.
(b) Talk is.
(c) Profiteering is.
(d) Related viruses are.
5. By what name is the November 1938 pogrom conducted by the Nazis commonly referred to?
(a) The Catastrophe.
(b) The Night of the Long Knives.
(d) The Shoah.
6. By the middle of 1937, Victor and Eva are taking long country drives for what purpose?
(a) To search for retail items.
(b) To discuss escape plans.
(d) To see relatives.
7. Which of Victor's relatives dies in October 1937?
(a) Georg, his brother.
(b) Maria, his sister-in-law.
(c) Grete, his sister.
(d) Eva, his wife.
8. Which of the following countries is NOT one of those the Nazis first occupy in 1940?
9. In what month of 1940 does Klemperer send his stamp collection and important papers to his friend Annemarie for safeguarding?
10. What other means of saving money does Victor consider but ultimately discard as unworkable?
(a) Giving up coffee.
(b) Cancelling his newspaper subscription.
(c) Stopping drinking.
(d) Stopping smoking.
11. What makes food and commercial items increasingly difficult to obtain as 1939 progresses?
(a) The Swedish embargo.
(b) The Russian embargo.
(c) The English blockade.
(d) The American blockade.
12. What U.S. town does Georg emigrate to?
(d) New Philadelphia.
13. Which tragedy does Klemperer believe reflects poorly on Hitler's government?
(a) The Black Famine.
(b) The sinking of the Bismarck.
(c) The natural gas explosion in New London, Texas.
(d) The crashing of the Hindenburg.
14. What dominates much of Victor's diary entries for 1939?
(a) War with Poland.
(b) War with France.
(c) War with England.
(d) War with Russia.
15. Credible rumors circulate that Jews in occupied __________ are treated very severely.
Short Answer Questions
1. In November 1939, an unsuccessful attempt is made to assassinate:
2. Which two countries enter the war in 1939, along with Poland?
3. What U.S. town does Betty emigrate to?
4. In his entries of 1939, Victor Klemperer spends some time pondering the relationship between Jews and:
5. Bombings occur in the West, then in Berlin, and then occasionally in:
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)