|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Klemperer call the building in which their apartment is located?
(a) The Hitler House.
(b) The Ghetto.
(c) The Dresden Dump.
(d) The Jews' House.
2. What dominates much of Victor's diary entries for 1939?
(a) War with Poland.
(b) War with France.
(c) War with Russia.
(d) War with England.
3. Bombings occur in the West, then in Berlin, and then occasionally in:
4. In addition to continuing dental problems, what health problem does Eva suffer from during 1937?
5. In 1939, what is issued to the Jews?
(a) Rationing cards.
(b) Special 'Jew' identity cards.
(c) The dates on which they must move to the nearest ghetto.
(d) Special 'Jew' armbands.
6. In addition to Jews and Catholics, what group of people comes under discrimination in 1938?
7. Klemperer notes with surprise that many troops are being sent to:
(a) The west.
(b) The south.
(c) The east.
8. How large is the apartment the Klemperers secure in the Dresden ghetto?
(a) One room.
(b) Two rooms.
(c) Two stories.
(d) Three rooms.
9. Why does Klemperer begin to send out job applications to other countries?
(a) He wants to emigrate.
(b) He does not feel particularly German anymore.
(c) He does not feel particularly Jewish anymore.
(d) He has realized that Nazism is not going away anytime soon.
10. What word does Klemperer use for the first time (on April 9, 1939) to describe the German-Italian alliance?
(a) Prusso-Italian Coalition.
(d) Italo-Prussian Alliance.
11. In the middle of 1938, Jews are required to make their name 'Jewish' for easy identification. What does Victor begin calling himself in order to comply with this requirement?
12. The Nazis call the invasion of which country off?
(b) The United States.
13. Some bombings are particularly devastating to Berlin and:
14. What does Victor begin doing with his personal items?
(a) Selling them to pawnbrokers.
(b) Selling them in yard sales.
(c) Packing them in preparation for the move.
(d) Giving them away.
15. In December 1940, what are Jews ordered to begin wearing?
(a) Yellow jackets.
(b) Yellow yarmulkes.
(c) Yellow shoes.
(d) Yellow armbands.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Klemperer reads accounts of France and England's negotiations and compromises with Germany, he is especially disgusted with _____________'s compliant negotiations.
2. Why does Klemperer speculate and report rumor and innuendo instead of actual news?
3. Where are the Klemperers told they will have to live after their house is rented?
4. In which city does Klemperer note that Jews are rumored to have been forcibly relocated to ghettos?
5. By what name is the November 1938 pogrom conducted by the Nazis commonly referred to?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)