|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In December 1940, what are Jews ordered to begin wearing?
(a) Yellow yarmulkes.
(b) Yellow jackets.
(c) Yellow armbands.
(d) Yellow shoes.
2. What is the purpose of the yellow sign that the government puts on Klemperer's fence corners?
(a) It announces that the property is for sale.
(b) It announces that the property belongs to a mixed-race couple.
(c) It announces that the property belongs to a Jew.
(d) It announces that the property is under construction.
3. What is the purpose of the offices of "science" that the Nazi government establishes?
(a) To explain racial inferiority as a natural law.
(b) To develop better propaganda and indoctrination methods.
(c) To develop an atomic weapon.
(d) To help Germans better achieve economic domination.
4. In October 1938, when Victor becomes ill, why can't he obtain medical attention?
(a) Because he is in a mixed-race marriage.
(b) Because he has no money.
(c) Because he has no insurance.
(d) Because he is a Jew.
5. Who accompanies the Klemperers to Berlin?
6. In 1938, _____________ is partitioned and Germany claims a huge part of the country.
7. When the police search the Klemperers' home in November, what besides books is taken?
(a) Victor's automobile.
(b) Eva's jewelry.
(c) Victor's saber, which he carried in World War I.
(d) Victor's musket, which he carried in World War I.
8. Whose fascist regime does Nazi Germany begin to support in 1937?
9. Where are the Klemperers told they will have to live after their house is rented?
(a) The Berlin ghetto.
(b) The Dresden ghetto.
(c) The Dölzchen ghetto.
(d) Their old apartment in Dresden.
10. When Klemperer applies to the American Consulate in Berlin, what number is he given when he is assigned to the immigrant waiting list?
11. By what name is the November 1938 pogrom conducted by the Nazis commonly referred to?
(b) The Shoah.
(c) The Night of the Long Knives.
(d) The Catastrophe.
12. In 1937, on which book does Klemperer continue to work?
(a) I Shall Bear Witness.
(c) The Eighteenth Century.
13. In 1939, what is issued to the Jews?
(a) Special 'Jew' identity cards.
(b) Rationing cards.
(c) Special 'Jew' armbands.
(d) The dates on which they must move to the nearest ghetto.
14. What does Klemperer do with the papers he does not send for safekeeping?
(a) Shreds them.
(b) Burns them.
(c) Takes them with him to the ghetto.
(d) Buries them.
15. In addition to Jews and Catholics, what group of people comes under discrimination in 1938?
Short Answer Questions
1. When Hitler visits Italy in 1938, it becomes evident that he is Mussolini's ____________.
2. What makes food and commercial items increasingly difficult to obtain as 1939 progresses?
3. In his entries of 1939, Victor Klemperer spends some time pondering the relationship between Jews and:
4. Most of the Jews in the ghetto consider an amphibious landing in England:
5. Bombings occur in the West, then in Berlin, and then occasionally in:
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)