|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During 1940, so-called mixed-race Jews, who were previously allowed in the military, are:
(a) Sent to the ghettos.
(b) Excluded and treated as Jews.
(c) Granted amnesty and given non-Jewish surnames.
(d) Sent to the concentration camps.
2. In his entries of 1939, Victor Klemperer spends some time pondering the relationship between Jews and:
(a) The historic German nation.
(c) The Vatican.
(d) Other European nations.
3. Whom do the newspapers give the responsibility of breeding Nordic-blooded individuals to escape the taint of Jewry?
(a) The SA.
(b) The Gestapo.
(c) The Hitler Youth.
(d) The SS.
4. In what month of 1940 does Klemperer send his stamp collection and important papers to his friend Annemarie for safeguarding?
5. What does Klemperer do with the papers he does not send for safekeeping?
(a) Takes them with him to the ghetto.
(b) Buries them.
(c) Shreds them.
(d) Burns them.
6. How large is the apartment the Klemperers secure in the Dresden ghetto?
(a) Two rooms.
(b) Two stories.
(c) One room.
(d) Three rooms.
7. Which major World War II battle begins in 1940?
(a) The Battle of Britain.
(b) The invasion of Normandy.
(c) The Battle of Leyte Gulf.
(d) The Battle of Midway.
8. In November 1939, an unsuccessful attempt is made to assassinate:
9. How many times does Georg send the Klemperers money in 1938?
10. In addition to Jews and Catholics, what group of people comes under discrimination in 1938?
11. Bombings occur in the West, then in Berlin, and then occasionally in:
12. Jewish bank accounts are _____________ and ready cash is seized.
(a) Signed over to the Palestinian government.
(b) Divided among heirs.
(c) Listed in the official party newspaper.
13. Why does Klemperer speculate and report rumor and innuendo instead of actual news?
(a) There is a nationwide news blackout.
(b) He doesn't trust the official news media.
(c) Jews aren't allowed to read the newspapers.
(d) Jews aren't allowed to listen to the radio.
14. In his entries of 1938, what health problem does Victor fret about?
(a) His heart condition.
(b) His eyesight.
(c) Eva's teeth.
(d) Eva's anxiety.
15. Which of Victor's relatives dies in October 1937?
(a) Maria, his sister-in-law.
(b) Eva, his wife.
(c) Grete, his sister.
(d) Georg, his brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which concentration camp does Victor report hearing rumors of?
2. In 1939, what is issued to the Jews?
3. What does Klemperer call the building in which their apartment is located?
4. What other means of saving money does Victor consider but ultimately discard as unworkable?
5. Jews face much stricter rationing than ___________.
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)