|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many times does Georg send the Klemperers money in 1938?
2. Most of the Jews in the ghetto consider an amphibious landing in England:
(a) A huge risk, but worth the attempt.
(b) The only way to end the war.
(c) Completely impossible.
(d) Absolutely possible.
3. Why does Klemperer begin to send out job applications to other countries?
(a) He does not feel particularly Jewish anymore.
(b) He does not feel particularly German anymore.
(c) He has realized that Nazism is not going away anytime soon.
(d) He wants to emigrate.
4. Klemperer notes with surprise that many troops are being sent to:
(a) The east.
(b) The west.
(c) The south.
5. Why does Klemperer speculate and report rumor and innuendo instead of actual news?
(a) Jews aren't allowed to read the newspapers.
(b) There is a nationwide news blackout.
(c) Jews aren't allowed to listen to the radio.
(d) He doesn't trust the official news media.
6. When Klemperer applies to the American Consulate in Berlin, what number is he given when he is assigned to the immigrant waiting list?
7. When the police search the Klemperers' home in November, what besides books is taken?
(a) Eva's jewelry.
(b) Victor's automobile.
(c) Victor's musket, which he carried in World War I.
(d) Victor's saber, which he carried in World War I.
8. As bombardment in western Germany becomes more fierce, refugees from that region begin to move:
9. What does nearly every Jew remaining in Germany, including the Klemperers, try to do in response to the rumors of ghettos?
(a) Hide in neighbors' attics and basements.
(c) Join the resistance.
(d) Kill themselves.
10. As Klemperer reads accounts of France and England's negotiations and compromises with Germany, he is especially disgusted with _____________'s compliant negotiations.
11. What is the purpose of the offices of "science" that the Nazi government establishes?
(a) To develop better propaganda and indoctrination methods.
(b) To explain racial inferiority as a natural law.
(c) To help Germans better achieve economic domination.
(d) To develop an atomic weapon.
12. What does Victor begin doing with his personal items?
(a) Packing them in preparation for the move.
(b) Giving them away.
(c) Selling them to pawnbrokers.
(d) Selling them in yard sales.
13. What U.S. town does Georg emigrate to?
(d) New Philadelphia.
14. In which city does Klemperer note that Jews are rumored to have been forcibly relocated to ghettos?
15. What U.S. town does Betty emigrate to?
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1938, _____________ is partitioned and Germany claims a huge part of the country.
2. Which of the following countries is NOT one of those the Nazis first occupy in 1940?
3. While in Berlin, Klemperer learns that anti-government elements frequently copy thousands of subversive or censored handbills _______________ and distribute them secretly.
4. Some bombings are particularly devastating to Berlin and:
5. In the middle of 1938, Jews are required to make their name 'Jewish' for easy identification. What does Victor begin calling himself in order to comply with this requirement?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)