|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In November 1939, an unsuccessful attempt is made to assassinate:
2. Where are the Klemperers told they will have to live after their house is rented?
(a) The Dölzchen ghetto.
(b) Their old apartment in Dresden.
(c) The Berlin ghetto.
(d) The Dresden ghetto.
3. Whose fascist regime does Nazi Germany begin to support in 1937?
4. Credible rumors circulate that Jews in occupied __________ are treated very severely.
5. What happens to Victor's sister, Grete, after she suffers a mental collapse and a heart attack?
(a) She is placed in a nursing home.
(b) She is placed in a sanatorium.
(c) She is sent to Buchenwald and put to death.
(d) She is sent to the hospital.
6. Why does Klemperer begin to send out job applications to other countries?
(a) He does not feel particularly Jewish anymore.
(b) He wants to emigrate.
(c) He has realized that Nazism is not going away anytime soon.
(d) He does not feel particularly German anymore.
7. What city does Gusti Weighardt write the Klemperers she is moving to?
8. Which concentration camp does Victor report hearing rumors of?
9. By the middle of 1937, Victor and Eva are taking long country drives for what purpose?
(a) To discuss escape plans.
(c) To see relatives.
(d) To search for retail items.
10. What U.S. town does Georg emigrate to?
(b) New Philadelphia.
11. In addition to continuing dental problems, what health problem does Eva suffer from during 1937?
12. By what name is the November 1938 pogrom conducted by the Nazis commonly referred to?
(a) The Shoah.
(b) The Catastrophe.
(c) The Night of the Long Knives.
13. Why does Klemperer speculate and report rumor and innuendo instead of actual news?
(a) Jews aren't allowed to listen to the radio.
(b) Jews aren't allowed to read the newspapers.
(c) There is a nationwide news blackout.
(d) He doesn't trust the official news media.
14. Which of the following countries is NOT one of those the Nazis first occupy in 1940?
15. When the Klemperers take their second eight-day automobile vacation later in 1937 where do they go?
(a) The Mediterranean.
(b) The North Sea.
(c) The Baltic Sea.
(d) The Aegean.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1939, what is issued to the Jews?
2. One of Victor's entries makes note of the establishment of which automaker's factory?
3. What word does Klemperer use for the first time (on April 9, 1939) to describe the German-Italian alliance?
4. In May, Victor and Eva take a five-day automobile vacation. Which city is their first stop?
5. Which two countries enter the war in 1939, along with Poland?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)