|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Klemperer do with the papers he does not send for safekeeping?
(a) Burns them.
(b) Takes them with him to the ghetto.
(c) Buries them.
(d) Shreds them.
2. Bombings occur in the West, then in Berlin, and then occasionally in:
3. Which tragedy does Klemperer believe reflects poorly on Hitler's government?
(a) The crashing of the Hindenburg.
(b) The sinking of the Bismarck.
(c) The natural gas explosion in New London, Texas.
(d) The Black Famine.
4. The Nazis call the invasion of which country off?
(b) The United States.
5. Some bombings are particularly devastating to Berlin and:
6. Which local German official begins a program of harassment against the Jews that results in fines levied against the Klemperers for things such as weeds in their yard?
(a) The city manager.
(b) The police chief.
(c) The mayor.
(d) The sheriff.
7. What happens to Victor's sister, Grete, after she suffers a mental collapse and a heart attack?
(a) She is sent to the hospital.
(b) She is placed in a nursing home.
(c) She is placed in a sanatorium.
(d) She is sent to Buchenwald and put to death.
8. Whose fascist regime does Nazi Germany begin to support in 1937?
9. During 1940, so-called mixed-race Jews, who were previously allowed in the military, are:
(a) Granted amnesty and given non-Jewish surnames.
(b) Sent to the ghettos.
(c) Excluded and treated as Jews.
(d) Sent to the concentration camps.
10. In late 1937, Hjalmar Schacht retires as the minister of ____________.
11. How do the Klemperers mitigate maintenance costs?
(a) The Klemperers' neighbor, who is a mechanic, does most of the work on their car.
(b) The Klemperers neglect all but the most major mechanical needs.
(c) Victor serves as an amateur mechanic.
(d) Eva serves as an amateur mechanic.
12. In what month of 1940 does Klemperer send his stamp collection and important papers to his friend Annemarie for safeguarding?
13. One of Victor's entries makes note of the establishment of which automaker's factory?
(d) General Motors.
14. What does Victor begin doing with his personal items?
(a) Selling them in yard sales.
(b) Selling them to pawnbrokers.
(c) Packing them in preparation for the move.
(d) Giving them away.
15. What U.S. town does Betty emigrate to?
Short Answer Questions
1. What word does Klemperer use for the first time (on April 9, 1939) to describe the German-Italian alliance?
2. Why does Klemperer speculate and report rumor and innuendo instead of actual news?
3. For most of 1937, Klemperer finds himself believing that most Germans have always been somewhat ____________.
4. How many times does Georg send the Klemperers money in 1938?
5. In 1939, what is issued to the Jews?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)