|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which local German official begins a program of harassment against the Jews that results in fines levied against the Klemperers for things such as weeds in their yard?
(a) The police chief.
(b) The city manager.
(c) The sheriff.
(d) The mayor.
2. Which of Victor's relatives dies in October 1937?
(a) Georg, his brother.
(b) Grete, his sister.
(c) Eva, his wife.
(d) Maria, his sister-in-law.
3. Which concentration camp does Victor report hearing rumors of?
4. During 1940, so-called mixed-race Jews, who were previously allowed in the military, are:
(a) Sent to the ghettos.
(b) Granted amnesty and given non-Jewish surnames.
(c) Sent to the concentration camps.
(d) Excluded and treated as Jews.
5. What word does Klemperer use for the first time (on April 9, 1939) to describe the German-Italian alliance?
(b) Prusso-Italian Coalition.
(c) Italo-Prussian Alliance.
6. By 1940, war _________ commonplace.
(a) Crimes are.
(b) Talk is.
(c) Profiteering is.
(d) Related viruses are.
7. While in Berlin, Klemperer learns that anti-government elements frequently copy thousands of subversive or censored handbills _______________ and distribute them secretly.
(a) At printing companies in neutral countries.
(b) On underground printing presses.
(c) By hand.
(d) In the United States.
8. For most of 1937, Klemperer finds himself believing that most Germans have always been somewhat ____________.
9. Whose fascist regime does Nazi Germany begin to support in 1937?
10. One of Victor's entries makes note of the establishment of which automaker's factory?
(a) General Motors.
11. How large is the apartment the Klemperers secure in the Dresden ghetto?
(a) Three rooms.
(b) Two stories.
(c) Two rooms.
(d) One room.
12. How many times does Georg send the Klemperers money in 1938?
13. By the end of 1940, clothing has become so scarce that:
(a) People are dying from exposure due to lack of proper clothes.
(b) The recently deceased are stripped before being cremated.
(c) People are dressing in flour sacks.
(d) The ill are stripped before admission to the hospital.
14. In what month of 1939 are the Klemperers notified that, beginning April 1940, their house will be rented to an Aryan?
15. In which city does Klemperer note that Jews are rumored to have been forcibly relocated to ghettos?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which major World War II battle begins in 1940?
2. When Hitler visits Italy in 1938, it becomes evident that he is Mussolini's ____________.
3. Which two countries enter the war in 1939, along with Poland?
4. By what name is the November 1938 pogrom conducted by the Nazis commonly referred to?
5. What city does Gusti Weighardt write the Klemperers she is moving to?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)