|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what month of 1939 are the Klemperers notified that, beginning April 1940, their house will be rented to an Aryan?
2. In 1938, Germany annexes __________ in a non-violent political victory known today as the Anschluss.
(a) The Sudetenland.
3. One of Victor's entries makes note of the establishment of which automaker's factory?
(d) General Motors.
4. In October 1938, when Victor becomes ill, why can't he obtain medical attention?
(a) Because he is in a mixed-race marriage.
(b) Because he has no insurance.
(c) Because he has no money.
(d) Because he is a Jew.
5. When Hitler visits Italy in 1938, it becomes evident that he is Mussolini's ____________.
6. In November 1939, an unsuccessful attempt is made to assassinate:
7. What makes food and commercial items increasingly difficult to obtain as 1939 progresses?
(a) The Swedish embargo.
(b) The American blockade.
(c) The English blockade.
(d) The Russian embargo.
8. What dominates much of Victor's diary entries for 1939?
(a) War with France.
(b) War with Russia.
(c) War with Poland.
(d) War with England.
9. In late 1937, Hjalmar Schacht retires as the minister of ____________.
10. By what name is the November 1938 pogrom conducted by the Nazis commonly referred to?
(b) The Catastrophe.
(c) The Night of the Long Knives.
(d) The Shoah.
11. When Klemperer applies to the American Consulate in Berlin, what number is he given when he is assigned to the immigrant waiting list?
12. Most of the Jews in the ghetto consider an amphibious landing in England:
(a) The only way to end the war.
(b) Completely impossible.
(c) A huge risk, but worth the attempt.
(d) Absolutely possible.
13. In May, Victor and Eva take a five-day automobile vacation. Which city is their first stop?
14. What U.S. town does Georg emigrate to?
(a) New Philadelphia.
15. By the end of 1940, clothing has become so scarce that:
(a) People are dressing in flour sacks.
(b) The recently deceased are stripped before being cremated.
(c) The ill are stripped before admission to the hospital.
(d) People are dying from exposure due to lack of proper clothes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which local German official begins a program of harassment against the Jews that results in fines levied against the Klemperers for things such as weeds in their yard?
2. In addition to continuing dental problems, what health problem does Eva suffer from during 1937?
3. Credible rumors circulate that Jews in occupied __________ are treated very severely.
4. What does Victor begin doing with his personal items?
5. Which major World War II battle begins in 1940?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)