|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who accompanies the Klemperers to Berlin?
2. Credible rumors circulate that Jews in occupied __________ are treated very severely.
3. As Klemperer reads accounts of France and England's negotiations and compromises with Germany, he is especially disgusted with _____________'s compliant negotiations.
4. How many times does Georg send the Klemperers money in 1938?
5. By the middle of 1937, Victor and Eva are taking long country drives for what purpose?
(a) To see relatives.
(b) To search for retail items.
(c) To discuss escape plans.
6. One of Victor's entries makes note of the establishment of which automaker's factory?
(a) General Motors.
7. Most of the Jews in the ghetto consider an amphibious landing in England:
(a) Completely impossible.
(b) The only way to end the war.
(c) A huge risk, but worth the attempt.
(d) Absolutely possible.
8. Which concentration camp does Victor report hearing rumors of?
9. What other means of saving money does Victor consider but ultimately discard as unworkable?
(a) Cancelling his newspaper subscription.
(b) Stopping drinking.
(c) Stopping smoking.
(d) Giving up coffee.
10. In addition to Jews and Catholics, what group of people comes under discrimination in 1938?
11. Which major World War II battle begins in 1940?
(a) The Battle of Britain.
(b) The Battle of Midway.
(c) The Battle of Leyte Gulf.
(d) The invasion of Normandy.
12. What is the purpose of the offices of "science" that the Nazi government establishes?
(a) To help Germans better achieve economic domination.
(b) To develop an atomic weapon.
(c) To explain racial inferiority as a natural law.
(d) To develop better propaganda and indoctrination methods.
13. Which tragedy does Klemperer believe reflects poorly on Hitler's government?
(a) The Black Famine.
(b) The sinking of the Bismarck.
(c) The crashing of the Hindenburg.
(d) The natural gas explosion in New London, Texas.
14. What does Klemperer expect in the wake of the assassination attempt that does not seem to materialize?
(a) Additional anti-Jew laws.
(b) Deportation to concentration camps.
(c) Immediate anti-Semitic reprisals.
(d) Forced relocation to ghettos.
15. Which group does Klemperer say is the object of virulent Nazi messages in 1937?
Short Answer Questions
1. Some bombings are particularly devastating to Berlin and:
2. Why does Klemperer speculate and report rumor and innuendo instead of actual news?
3. Which two countries enter the war in 1939, along with Poland?
4. When the police search the Klemperers' home in November, what besides books is taken?
5. By the end of 1940, clothing has become so scarce that:
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)