|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What dominates much of Victor's diary entries for 1939?
(a) War with England.
(b) War with Russia.
(c) War with France.
(d) War with Poland.
2. In December 1940, what are Jews ordered to begin wearing?
(a) Yellow yarmulkes.
(b) Yellow jackets.
(c) Yellow shoes.
(d) Yellow armbands.
3. Why does Klemperer begin to send out job applications to other countries?
(a) He does not feel particularly Jewish anymore.
(b) He does not feel particularly German anymore.
(c) He wants to emigrate.
(d) He has realized that Nazism is not going away anytime soon.
4. Jews face much stricter rationing than ___________.
(a) All other Europeans.
(b) Any other race.
5. What is the purpose of the yellow sign that the government puts on Klemperer's fence corners?
(a) It announces that the property is under construction.
(b) It announces that the property is for sale.
(c) It announces that the property belongs to a mixed-race couple.
(d) It announces that the property belongs to a Jew.
6. By what name is the November 1938 pogrom conducted by the Nazis commonly referred to?
(b) The Shoah.
(c) The Night of the Long Knives.
(d) The Catastrophe.
7. In May, Victor and Eva take a five-day automobile vacation. Which city is their first stop?
8. In late 1937, Hjalmar Schacht retires as the minister of ____________.
9. Where are the Klemperers told they will have to live after their house is rented?
(a) The Dölzchen ghetto.
(b) Their old apartment in Dresden.
(c) The Dresden ghetto.
(d) The Berlin ghetto.
10. Which major World War II battle begins in 1940?
(a) The Battle of Britain.
(b) The Battle of Leyte Gulf.
(c) The invasion of Normandy.
(d) The Battle of Midway.
11. Whose fascist regime does Nazi Germany begin to support in 1937?
12. In what month of 1939 are the Klemperers notified that, beginning April 1940, their house will be rented to an Aryan?
13. As Klemperer reads accounts of France and England's negotiations and compromises with Germany, he is especially disgusted with _____________'s compliant negotiations.
14. What makes food and commercial items increasingly difficult to obtain as 1939 progresses?
(a) The Russian embargo.
(b) The American blockade.
(c) The Swedish embargo.
(d) The English blockade.
15. What does Victor begin doing with his personal items?
(a) Packing them in preparation for the move.
(b) Selling them in yard sales.
(c) Giving them away.
(d) Selling them to pawnbrokers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which group does Klemperer say is the object of virulent Nazi messages in 1937?
2. In his entries of 1939, Victor Klemperer spends some time pondering the relationship between Jews and:
3. By the middle of 1937, Victor and Eva are taking long country drives for what purpose?
4. Although all of the Klemperers are suffering from ill health and depression in 1940, what specifically happens to Grete?
5. In the middle of 1938, Jews are required to make their name 'Jewish' for easy identification. What does Victor begin calling himself in order to comply with this requirement?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)