|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 1939, what is issued to the Jews?
(a) Rationing cards.
(b) Special 'Jew' armbands.
(c) The dates on which they must move to the nearest ghetto.
(d) Special 'Jew' identity cards.
2. Which two countries enter the war in 1939, along with Poland?
(a) England and France.
(b) Italy and Switzerland.
(c) Albania and Turkey.
(d) France and Italy.
3. What is the purpose of the offices of "science" that the Nazi government establishes?
(a) To explain racial inferiority as a natural law.
(b) To develop better propaganda and indoctrination methods.
(c) To develop an atomic weapon.
(d) To help Germans better achieve economic domination.
4. In his entries of 1939, Victor Klemperer spends some time pondering the relationship between Jews and:
(a) The historic German nation.
(c) The Vatican.
(d) Other European nations.
5. When Klemperer applies to the American Consulate in Berlin, what number is he given when he is assigned to the immigrant waiting list?
6. In 1938, _____________ is partitioned and Germany claims a huge part of the country.
7. In December 1940, what are Jews ordered to begin wearing?
(a) Yellow shoes.
(b) Yellow jackets.
(c) Yellow yarmulkes.
(d) Yellow armbands.
8. As bombardment in western Germany becomes more fierce, refugees from that region begin to move:
9. Why does Klemperer speculate and report rumor and innuendo instead of actual news?
(a) Jews aren't allowed to read the newspapers.
(b) Jews aren't allowed to listen to the radio.
(c) He doesn't trust the official news media.
(d) There is a nationwide news blackout.
10. As Klemperer reads accounts of France and England's negotiations and compromises with Germany, he is especially disgusted with _____________'s compliant negotiations.
11. One of Victor's entries makes note of the establishment of which automaker's factory?
(c) General Motors.
12. What happens to Victor's sister, Grete, after she suffers a mental collapse and a heart attack?
(a) She is sent to the hospital.
(b) She is placed in a nursing home.
(c) She is placed in a sanatorium.
(d) She is sent to Buchenwald and put to death.
13. By 1940, war _________ commonplace.
(a) Talk is.
(b) Related viruses are.
(c) Profiteering is.
(d) Crimes are.
14. Credible rumors circulate that Jews in occupied __________ are treated very severely.
15. In 1938, Germany annexes __________ in a non-violent political victory known today as the Anschluss.
(c) The Sudetenland.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are the Klemperers told they will have to live after their house is rented?
2. In May, Victor and Eva take a five-day automobile vacation. Which city is their first stop?
3. Which concentration camp does Victor report hearing rumors of?
4. Which of Victor's relatives dies in October 1937?
5. Jews face much stricter rationing than ___________.
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)