|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the Klemperers mitigate maintenance costs?
(a) The Klemperers neglect all but the most major mechanical needs.
(b) Victor serves as an amateur mechanic.
(c) Eva serves as an amateur mechanic.
(d) The Klemperers' neighbor, who is a mechanic, does most of the work on their car.
2. In the middle of 1938, Jews are required to make their name 'Jewish' for easy identification. What does Victor begin calling himself in order to comply with this requirement?
3. In addition to continuing dental problems, what health problem does Eva suffer from during 1937?
4. In May, Victor and Eva take a five-day automobile vacation. Which city is their first stop?
5. Whose fascist regime does Nazi Germany begin to support in 1937?
6. By the middle of 1937, Victor and Eva are taking long country drives for what purpose?
(a) To see relatives.
(b) To search for retail items.
(d) To discuss escape plans.
7. By 1940, war _________ commonplace.
(a) Talk is.
(b) Profiteering is.
(c) Crimes are.
(d) Related viruses are.
8. When the police search the Klemperers' home in November, what besides books is taken?
(a) Victor's musket, which he carried in World War I.
(b) Eva's jewelry.
(c) Victor's automobile.
(d) Victor's saber, which he carried in World War I.
9. Which concentration camp does Victor report hearing rumors of?
10. Jews face much stricter rationing than ___________.
(b) Any other race.
(c) All other Europeans.
11. In December 1940, what are Jews ordered to begin wearing?
(a) Yellow yarmulkes.
(b) Yellow armbands.
(c) Yellow jackets.
(d) Yellow shoes.
12. What makes food and commercial items increasingly difficult to obtain as 1939 progresses?
(a) The Swedish embargo.
(b) The Russian embargo.
(c) The American blockade.
(d) The English blockade.
13. What U.S. town does Georg emigrate to?
(a) New Philadelphia.
14. What does nearly every Jew remaining in Germany, including the Klemperers, try to do in response to the rumors of ghettos?
(a) Hide in neighbors' attics and basements.
(b) Join the resistance.
(d) Kill themselves.
15. In 1939, what is issued to the Jews?
(a) Rationing cards.
(b) Special 'Jew' identity cards.
(c) Special 'Jew' armbands.
(d) The dates on which they must move to the nearest ghetto.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which tragedy does Klemperer believe reflects poorly on Hitler's government?
2. As Klemperer reads accounts of France and England's negotiations and compromises with Germany, he is especially disgusted with _____________'s compliant negotiations.
3. One of Victor's entries makes note of the establishment of which automaker's factory?
4. When Hitler visits Italy in 1938, it becomes evident that he is Mussolini's ____________.
5. When the Klemperers take their second eight-day automobile vacation later in 1937 where do they go?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)