|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what month of 1940 does Klemperer send his stamp collection and important papers to his friend Annemarie for safeguarding?
2. Which concentration camp does Victor report hearing rumors of?
3. Most of the Jews in the ghetto consider an amphibious landing in England:
(a) A huge risk, but worth the attempt.
(b) Completely impossible.
(c) Absolutely possible.
(d) The only way to end the war.
4. In December 1940, what are Jews ordered to begin wearing?
(a) Yellow armbands.
(b) Yellow jackets.
(c) Yellow yarmulkes.
(d) Yellow shoes.
5. In late 1937, Hjalmar Schacht retires as the minister of ____________.
6. Credible rumors circulate that Jews in occupied __________ are treated very severely.
7. When Hitler visits Italy in 1938, it becomes evident that he is Mussolini's ____________.
8. Klemperer notes with surprise that many troops are being sent to:
(a) The west.
(b) The east.
(d) The south.
9. In 1938, Germany annexes __________ in a non-violent political victory known today as the Anschluss.
(a) The Sudetenland.
10. How many times does Georg send the Klemperers money in 1938?
11. In November 1939, an unsuccessful attempt is made to assassinate:
12. While in Berlin, Klemperer learns that anti-government elements frequently copy thousands of subversive or censored handbills _______________ and distribute them secretly.
(a) By hand.
(b) On underground printing presses.
(c) At printing companies in neutral countries.
(d) In the United States.
13. What does Victor begin doing with his personal items?
(a) Packing them in preparation for the move.
(b) Selling them to pawnbrokers.
(c) Giving them away.
(d) Selling them in yard sales.
14. In his entries of 1938, what health problem does Victor fret about?
(a) His heart condition.
(b) Eva's anxiety.
(c) Eva's teeth.
(d) His eyesight.
15. In 1937, on which book does Klemperer continue to work?
(a) The Eighteenth Century.
(d) I Shall Bear Witness.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the purpose of the offices of "science" that the Nazi government establishes?
2. When the police search the Klemperers' home in November, what besides books is taken?
3. The Nazis call the invasion of which country off?
4. Which two countries enter the war in 1939, along with Poland?
5. Why does Klemperer begin to send out job applications to other countries?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)