|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Cedric's Norman guests complain about?
2. Where does Isaac's cousin live?
3. Who attacks Cedric's party in the woods?
4. Where is the Palmer invited to go?
5. How much money does Prince John want to collect from Isaac?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to King Richard as he is traveling through Europe? How does this affect the leadership of England?
2. Why does Rebecca return money to Gurth in Chapter 10?
3. Why is Prince John concerned to learn that the Disinherited Knight is Ivanhoe?
4. In Chapter 16, where does the Black Knight seek lodging for the night?
5. Who do the horsemen encounter at the Sunken Cross?
6. How does Isaac of Kent repay the Palmer's kindness in Chapter 6?
7. Why do the people of England prefer King Richard over Prince John?
8. Who are Gurth and Wamba, and what do they discuss when introduced to the story?
9. Who attacks the Saxons in the forest? Who intends to come to the aid of the Saxons?
10. Who wins the archery contest in Chapter 13? What position does Prince John offer the winner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of disguise. Who wears a disguise in the novel and why? Who chooses not to disguise himself and how does it affect his life? How does Scott depict the revealing of these characters?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the antagonist(s) of the story. Who are they? Who is the central antagonist of the story? Who are the antagonists of the sub-plot? How do these characters shape the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Scott's use of symbolism in "Ivanhoe." What are some examples of symbols and what is the meaning behind them?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)