|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Athelstane worry about while being held prisoner?
2. Who is De Bracy?
3. Why does Prince John cancel the third day of the tournament?
4. How much money does Prince John want to collect from Isaac?
5. What does Prince John take from Cedric?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Disinherited Knight offered for his win in the tournament? What does he accept?
2. Who are Gurth and Wamba, and what do they discuss when introduced to the story?
3. Describe the mysterious knight who enters into the tournament?
4. Why do the people of England prefer King Richard over Prince John?
5. Who do the horsemen encounter at the Sunken Cross?
6. Why is Prince John concerned to learn that the Disinherited Knight is Ivanhoe?
7. What is De Bracy's plan for marrying Lady Rowena?
8. What happens to King Richard as he is traveling through Europe? How does this affect the leadership of England?
9. Why does Cedric forbid Lady Rowena from appearing before the Normans?
10. What does Front-de-Boeuf demand of Isaac, and with what torture does he threaten Isaac?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the antagonist(s) of the story. Who are they? Who is the central antagonist of the story? Who are the antagonists of the sub-plot? How do these characters shape the story?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the historical inaccuracies in the novel "Ivanhoe." Were these inaccuracies deliberate? If so, why might Scott have chosen to depict the story in a way that is not historically accurate?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Scott's use of symbolism in "Ivanhoe." What are some examples of symbols and what is the meaning behind them?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)