|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What instrument does the Black Knight play?
2. Who attacks Cedric's party in the woods?
3. Who is the author of Ivanhoe?
4. Who does the Palmer say Bois-Guilbert has ordered to rob Isaac the Jew?
5. What job does Prince John offer the archery contest winner?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 16, where does the Black Knight seek lodging for the night?
2. Who wins the archery contest in Chapter 13? What position does Prince John offer the winner?
3. Why is Prince John concerned to learn that the Disinherited Knight is Ivanhoe?
4. Who are Gurth and Wamba, and what do they discuss when introduced to the story?
5. What happens to King Richard as he is traveling through Europe? How does this affect the leadership of England?
6. Why do the people of England prefer King Richard over Prince John?
7. What sparks Front-de-Boeuf's momentary sympathy for Isaac in Chapter 22?
8. What is De Bracy's plan for marrying Lady Rowena?
9. Why does Rebecca return money to Gurth in Chapter 10?
10. Who attacks the Saxons in the forest? Who intends to come to the aid of the Saxons?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Scott's use of irony in the novel "Ivanhoe." What are some examples of irony in the novel? How do these examples affect the tone and plot of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the historical inaccuracies in the novel "Ivanhoe." Were these inaccuracies deliberate? If so, why might Scott have chosen to depict the story in a way that is not historically accurate?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the conclusion of the novel "Ivanhoe." What happens at the end of the novel? Is it a happy ending? Why or why not? Are there any surprising developments? How does Ivanhoe overcome the obstacles he faced?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)