|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose visit does Gurth worry about in Chapter 1?
2. What does Isaac beg of Front-de-Boeuf in distress?
3. Who does Prince John promise Lady Rowena to?
4. What type of work does Gurth do?
5. Where do the horsemen follow Wamba's directions to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are Gurth and Wamba, and what do they discuss when introduced to the story?
2. In Chapter 16, where does the Black Knight seek lodging for the night?
3. What sparks Front-de-Boeuf's momentary sympathy for Isaac in Chapter 22?
4. How do the Black Knight and Friar Tuck make merry over their feast?
5. When Bois-Guilbert boasts of the Knights Templar's superiority, what does the Palmer talk about?
6. Describe the mysterious knight who enters into the tournament?
7. Who wins the archery contest in Chapter 13? What position does Prince John offer the winner?
8. Why does Isaac the Jew feel confident in his attempts to acquire better seats at the tournament?
9. Where are Cedric and Athelstane imprisoned in Torquilstone? What do they think about while being held captive in Chapter 21?
10. Who do the horsemen encounter at the Sunken Cross?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the conflicts in "Ivanhoe." What causes them and how are they resolved?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the hero archetype. What characteristics are associated with the hero archetype? Why is Ivanhoe an example of a hero? Are there other examples of the hero archetype in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author, Sir Walter Scott, and his canon. What genre does he usually write in? What similarities can be made between "Ivanhoe" and Scott's other work?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)