|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the Palmer invited to go?
2. Who assists the Disinherited Knight when he is ambushed on the second day of the tournament?
3. Who does the mysterious knight challenge to mortal combat?
4. Who does Front-de-Boeuf claim to have believed Rebecca was?
5. What does the shield of the mysterious knight say?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Palmer warn Isaac of Kent about? Where does the Palmer take Isaac?
2. Who does Cedric want to marry Rowena and why?
3. How do the Black Knight and Friar Tuck make merry over their feast?
4. Why does Rebecca return money to Gurth in Chapter 10?
5. In Chapter 16, where does the Black Knight seek lodging for the night?
6. In Chapter 14, how does Cedric show his displeasure with his son? Why is Cedric displeased with his son?
7. What happens to King Richard as he is traveling through Europe? How does this affect the leadership of England?
8. Why does Cedric forbid Lady Rowena from appearing before the Normans?
9. What does Front-de-Boeuf demand of Isaac, and with what torture does he threaten Isaac?
10. Why is Prince John concerned to learn that the Disinherited Knight is Ivanhoe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author, Sir Walter Scott, and his canon. What genre does he usually write in? What similarities can be made between "Ivanhoe" and Scott's other work?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character Locksley. What is his role in the novel? How has Scott's depiction of this character shaped the modern-day character of Robin Hood?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the antagonist(s) of the story. Who are they? Who is the central antagonist of the story? Who are the antagonists of the sub-plot? How do these characters shape the story?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)