|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens after Ivanhoe reveals his identity?
2. What do Cedric's Norman guests complain about?
3. Who accompanies Front-de-Boeuf to talk to Isaac in Chapter 22?
4. Who attacks Cedric's party in the woods?
5. What do the defeated knights NOT offer the Disinherited Knight after the tournament?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who do the horsemen encounter at the Sunken Cross?
2. When Bois-Guilbert boasts of the Knights Templar's superiority, what does the Palmer talk about?
3. What task is granted to the winner of the day's tournament?
4. Why do the people of England prefer King Richard over Prince John?
5. What does Front-de-Boeuf demand of Isaac, and with what torture does he threaten Isaac?
6. In Chapter 14, how does Cedric show his displeasure with his son? Why is Cedric displeased with his son?
7. Who does Prince John take seats from at the tournament?
8. What is De Bracy's plan for marrying Lady Rowena?
9. How do the Black Knight and Friar Tuck make merry over their feast?
10. What does De Bracy tell Rowena to convince her to marry him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author, Sir Walter Scott, and his canon. What genre does he usually write in? What similarities can be made between "Ivanhoe" and Scott's other work?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the antagonist(s) of the story. Who are they? Who is the central antagonist of the story? Who are the antagonists of the sub-plot? How do these characters shape the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Scott's use of irony in the novel "Ivanhoe." What are some examples of irony in the novel? How do these examples affect the tone and plot of the novel?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)