|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Cedric hope to marry Rowena to?
2. Who is the keeper of the forest that Friar Tuck referred to?
3. What does Fitzurse learn that De Bracy is planning to do in Chapter 15?
4. Who has Isaac been deserted by in Chapter 19?
5. Who assists the Disinherited Knight when he is ambushed on the second day of the tournament?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Disinherited Knight offered for his win in the tournament? What does he accept?
2. Why does Rebecca return money to Gurth in Chapter 10?
3. What does the Palmer warn Isaac of Kent about? Where does the Palmer take Isaac?
4. Who attacks Gurth? Why do they return Gurth's money to him?
5. Who are Gurth and Wamba, and what do they discuss when introduced to the story?
6. Who does Prince John take seats from at the tournament?
7. Who wins the archery contest in Chapter 13? What position does Prince John offer the winner?
8. Why does Cedric forbid Lady Rowena from appearing before the Normans?
9. Where are Cedric and Athelstane imprisoned in Torquilstone? What do they think about while being held captive in Chapter 21?
10. When Bois-Guilbert boasts of the Knights Templar's superiority, what does the Palmer talk about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters Prince John and King Richard.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of disguise. Who wears a disguise in the novel and why? Who chooses not to disguise himself and how does it affect his life? How does Scott depict the revealing of these characters?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the protagonist of the novel, Ivanhoe. What are his defining character traits? What are his motives and how does he go about achieving his goals? Why is he fighting with his father? Why might Scott have chosen to have the protagonist of the novel be injured throughout much of the novel?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)