|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where place is King Richard returning from in Chapter 1?
2. Who is victorious at the second day of the tournament?
3. Who is trying to secure a loan from the Jews of York?
4. Whose visit does Gurth worry about in Chapter 1?
5. Where is Isaac imprisoned at the castle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Palmer warn Isaac of Kent about? Where does the Palmer take Isaac?
2. Who are Gurth and Wamba, and what do they discuss when introduced to the story?
3. Why do the people of England prefer King Richard over Prince John?
4. How do the Black Knight and Friar Tuck make merry over their feast?
5. Who attacks the Saxons in the forest? Who intends to come to the aid of the Saxons?
6. What does Front-de-Boeuf demand of Isaac, and with what torture does he threaten Isaac?
7. When Bois-Guilbert boasts of the Knights Templar's superiority, what does the Palmer talk about?
8. Who attacks the Disinherited Knight at the second day of the tournament? Who assists the Disinherited Knight?
9. How does Isaac of Kent repay the Palmer's kindness in Chapter 6?
10. In Chapter 14, how does Cedric show his displeasure with his son? Why is Cedric displeased with his son?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the protagonist of the novel, Ivanhoe. What are his defining character traits? What are his motives and how does he go about achieving his goals? Why is he fighting with his father? Why might Scott have chosen to have the protagonist of the novel be injured throughout much of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of disguise. Who wears a disguise in the novel and why? Who chooses not to disguise himself and how does it affect his life? How does Scott depict the revealing of these characters?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the genre of the novel "Ivanhoe." What genre is this novel? What are the elements of this genre? Why is "Ivanhoe" an example of this genre?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)