|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Cedric's Norman guests complain about?
2. What does the shield of the mysterious knight say?
3. Why does Prince John cancel the third day of the tournament?
4. What does Prince John take from Cedric?
5. Whose visit does Gurth worry about in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the people of England prefer King Richard over Prince John?
2. What does Front-de-Boeuf demand of Isaac, and with what torture does he threaten Isaac?
3. Who attacks the Disinherited Knight at the second day of the tournament? Who assists the Disinherited Knight?
4. Describe the mysterious knight who enters into the tournament?
5. In Chapter 14, how does Cedric show his displeasure with his son? Why is Cedric displeased with his son?
6. What happens to King Richard as he is traveling through Europe? How does this affect the leadership of England?
7. Who attacks the Saxons in the forest? Who intends to come to the aid of the Saxons?
8. In Chapter 16, where does the Black Knight seek lodging for the night?
9. Where are Cedric and Athelstane imprisoned in Torquilstone? What do they think about while being held captive in Chapter 21?
10. How does Isaac of Kent repay the Palmer's kindness in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character Locksley. What is his role in the novel? How has Scott's depiction of this character shaped the modern-day character of Robin Hood?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the historical inaccuracies in the novel "Ivanhoe." Were these inaccuracies deliberate? If so, why might Scott have chosen to depict the story in a way that is not historically accurate?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of chivalry in the novel "Ivanhoe." What is Ivanhoe's opinion of chivalry? What are other characters opinions of chivalry? What are the ideals of chivalry?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)