|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money does Prince John want to collect from Isaac?
2. What does Isaac beg of Front-de-Boeuf in distress?
3. What instrument does the Black Knight play?
4. What does Isaac ask for in return for meeting Front-de-Boeuf's demands?
5. What does Athelstane worry about while being held prisoner?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Rebecca return money to Gurth in Chapter 10?
2. Who attacks the Disinherited Knight at the second day of the tournament? Who assists the Disinherited Knight?
3. What task is granted to the winner of the day's tournament?
4. Who attacks Gurth? Why do they return Gurth's money to him?
5. How do the Black Knight and Friar Tuck make merry over their feast?
6. What happens to King Richard as he is traveling through Europe? How does this affect the leadership of England?
7. What sparks Front-de-Boeuf's momentary sympathy for Isaac in Chapter 22?
8. When Bois-Guilbert boasts of the Knights Templar's superiority, what does the Palmer talk about?
9. Why do the people of England prefer King Richard over Prince John?
10. Who wins the archery contest in Chapter 13? What position does Prince John offer the winner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the genre of the novel "Ivanhoe." What genre is this novel? What are the elements of this genre? Why is "Ivanhoe" an example of this genre?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Normans and the Saxons and the sub-plot surrounding these groups. Who were these groups? Why were they fighting? Are they portrayed accurately? How does their feud affect the storyline?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the protagonist of the novel, Ivanhoe. What are his defining character traits? What are his motives and how does he go about achieving his goals? Why is he fighting with his father? Why might Scott have chosen to have the protagonist of the novel be injured throughout much of the novel?
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)