|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Athelstane worry about while being held prisoner?
2. Why does Prince John cancel the third day of the tournament?
3. Who does the Disinherited Knight refuse to accept a reward from?
4. What is Cedric's son named?
5. What does Isaac ask for in return for meeting Front-de-Boeuf's demands?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rebecca give to Rowena after her wedding? Where do Rebecca and her father go at the end of the story?
2. Why does Rebecca return money to Gurth in Chapter 10?
3. What does Bois-Guilbert claim was his plan to save Rebecca? What ruins his plan?
4. Who does Prince John take seats from at the tournament?
5. What are Bois-Guilbert's aspirations, and what does he offer Rebecca in exchange for marrying him?
6. Who attacks the Saxons in the forest? Who intends to come to the aid of the Saxons?
7. Why does Cedric forbid Lady Rowena from appearing before the Normans?
8. Who is Urfried? What does she explain to Rebecca?
9. How do the Black Knight and Friar Tuck make merry over their feast?
10. What happens when the Black Knight and Wamba are traveling through the forest in Chapter 40?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the hero archetype. What characteristics are associated with the hero archetype? Why is Ivanhoe an example of a hero? Are there other examples of the hero archetype in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the protagonist of the novel, Ivanhoe. What are his defining character traits? What are his motives and how does he go about achieving his goals? Why is he fighting with his father? Why might Scott have chosen to have the protagonist of the novel be injured throughout much of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Scott's use of symbolism in "Ivanhoe." What are some examples of symbols and what is the meaning behind them?
This section contains 1,396 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)