|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the mysterious knight refuse to do until he is given his prize?
2. What do Cedric's Norman guests complain about?
3. What does the Disinherited Knight accept as a reward after the tournament?
4. Who does the mysterious knight challenge to mortal combat?
5. Where does the Palmer take Isaac the Jew?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 16, where does the Black Knight seek lodging for the night?
2. How do the Black Knight and Friar Tuck make merry over their feast?
3. What happens to King Richard as he is traveling through Europe? How does this affect the leadership of England?
4. Why does Rebecca return money to Gurth in Chapter 10?
5. When Bois-Guilbert boasts of the Knights Templar's superiority, what does the Palmer talk about?
6. Who attacks the Saxons in the forest? Who intends to come to the aid of the Saxons?
7. What does the Palmer warn Isaac of Kent about? Where does the Palmer take Isaac?
8. Who does Prince John take seats from at the tournament?
9. Who do the horsemen encounter at the Sunken Cross?
10. How does Isaac of Kent repay the Palmer's kindness in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Scott's use of irony in the novel "Ivanhoe." What are some examples of irony in the novel? How do these examples affect the tone and plot of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the love triangles in the story. Who is involved in a love triangle? What conflicts arise as a result of these love triangles? How do these love triangles resolve?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of chivalry in the novel "Ivanhoe." What is Ivanhoe's opinion of chivalry? What are other characters opinions of chivalry? What are the ideals of chivalry?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)