|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What language becomes the official language of England as a result of Norman royalty?
2. Who does the Disinherited Knight refuse to accept a reward from?
3. Who attacks Cedric's party in the woods?
4. What is held immediately after the tournament is canceled?
5. Who is Rowena in love with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Palmer warn Isaac of Kent about? Where does the Palmer take Isaac?
2. Who attacks the Saxons in the forest? Who intends to come to the aid of the Saxons?
3. What does De Bracy tell Rowena to convince her to marry him?
4. In Chapter 16, where does the Black Knight seek lodging for the night?
5. Who do the horsemen encounter at the Sunken Cross?
6. Who does Cedric want to marry Rowena and why?
7. What task is granted to the winner of the day's tournament?
8. Why do the people of England prefer King Richard over Prince John?
9. Who does Prince John take seats from at the tournament?
10. Who attacks the Disinherited Knight at the second day of the tournament? Who assists the Disinherited Knight?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of disguise. Who wears a disguise in the novel and why? Who chooses not to disguise himself and how does it affect his life? How does Scott depict the revealing of these characters?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of chivalry in the novel "Ivanhoe." What is Ivanhoe's opinion of chivalry? What are other characters opinions of chivalry? What are the ideals of chivalry?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the conclusion of the novel "Ivanhoe." What happens at the end of the novel? Is it a happy ending? Why or why not? Are there any surprising developments? How does Ivanhoe overcome the obstacles he faced?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)