|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cedric insist when Isaac of York comes in?
2. What color horse does the mysterious knight ride?
3. Who does Front-de-Boeuf claim to have believed Rebecca was?
4. What job does Prince John offer the archery contest winner?
5. Why is Gurth upset with Cedric?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Prince John concerned to learn that the Disinherited Knight is Ivanhoe?
2. Why does Cedric forbid Lady Rowena from appearing before the Normans?
3. Why does Isaac the Jew feel confident in his attempts to acquire better seats at the tournament?
4. How does Isaac of Kent repay the Palmer's kindness in Chapter 6?
5. What does De Bracy tell Rowena to convince her to marry him?
6. Who attacks Gurth? Why do they return Gurth's money to him?
7. Describe the mysterious knight who enters into the tournament?
8. Who wins the archery contest in Chapter 13? What position does Prince John offer the winner?
9. How do the Black Knight and Friar Tuck make merry over their feast?
10. Why do the people of England prefer King Richard over Prince John?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of anti-semitism in "Ivanhoe." What are some examples of antisemitism in the novel? Is this an accurate portrayal of how Jewish people were regarded at this time?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the real historical figures of the novel. Who are the historical figures depicted in the novel? Has Scott portrayed them as they are remembered in history? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of disguise. Who wears a disguise in the novel and why? Who chooses not to disguise himself and how does it affect his life? How does Scott depict the revealing of these characters?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)