|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who chooses which woman will be named Sovereign of Love and Beauty?
2. Who did Prince John bestow the honors owed to Ivanhoe on?
3. Which woman is chosen to preside over the next day's tournament?
4. Who does Front-de-Boeuf claim to have believed Rebecca was?
5. What is De Bracy dressed as when Fitzurse runs into him in Chapter 15?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to King Richard as he is traveling through Europe? How does this affect the leadership of England?
2. Why is Prince John concerned to learn that the Disinherited Knight is Ivanhoe?
3. Why does Rebecca return money to Gurth in Chapter 10?
4. Why do the people of England prefer King Richard over Prince John?
5. What task is granted to the winner of the day's tournament?
6. Who are Gurth and Wamba, and what do they discuss when introduced to the story?
7. Who attacks the Saxons in the forest? Who intends to come to the aid of the Saxons?
8. What does Front-de-Boeuf demand of Isaac, and with what torture does he threaten Isaac?
9. Why does Isaac the Jew feel confident in his attempts to acquire better seats at the tournament?
10. Who attacks the Disinherited Knight at the second day of the tournament? Who assists the Disinherited Knight?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the female leads of the story, Lady Rowena and Rebecca, as well as their relationships with Ivanhoe.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the genre of the novel "Ivanhoe." What genre is this novel? What are the elements of this genre? Why is "Ivanhoe" an example of this genre?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the historical inaccuracies in the novel "Ivanhoe." Were these inaccuracies deliberate? If so, why might Scott have chosen to depict the story in a way that is not historically accurate?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)