|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Jeremiah break up with Mara?
2. What does Jeremiah say is easy about Belly?
3. What does Belly choose to do after dancing at the last beach house party?
4. What did Susannah do for Belly the weekend both husbands were at the beach house?
5. What body part does Belly step on when she goes to her room during the party?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jeremiah say to Belly on the beach after her fight with her mother?
2. What did Belly write about in the old journal she finds at the house?
3. Why is Belly so invested in helping Conrad study at the beach house?
4. What does Jeremiah say would have made his grief easier to bear, and why?
5. What do Taylor and Belly fight about while Belly is at the beach house?
6. What does Belly say made the beach house a trouble free zone?
7. How is Belly's lie about staying with Taylor discovered?
8. How does Belly feel when Mr. Fisher talks to her at the beach house?
9. How does Belly make sure Conrad will be successful while studying?
10. Why is Belly so anxious for Conrad to get back on track?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many different characters in this book were persuaded to do things that they would not have done of their own accord. What are some of these instances, and how did persuasion affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Despair was a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role did despair play in this book?
Essay Topic 3
What were the main reasons for the ending of the Laurel's marriage, and how did the end of this relationship affect some of the other characters in the book?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)