|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Amstel Gold Race?
2. After returning to pro cycling, Lance ends up quitting. What do his friends say about his wish to formally announce his retirement?
3. What does Lance notice about cancer patients who are children?
4. During chemo, the focus of Lance's healing revolves around what?
5. Even though Lance goes away on a speaking engagement, he constantly:
Short Essay Questions
1. After Lance starts racing again as a cancer survivor, why does he become discouraged and depressed?
2. Where is Lance two weeks before his baby is due?
3. Describe Lance's chemotherapy treatment.
4. What bad news do Lance and his manager, Bill Stapleton, receive from Cofidis?
5. Who is LaTrice, and how does she help Lance?
6. How is the U.S. Postal Team that Lance races with regarded at the start of the Tour de France?
7. After Lance and Kik marry, where does Lance finally make his official racing return?
8. After Cofidis dissolves Lance's contract, who offers Lance a racing contract?
9. What is the Ride for the Roses?
10. Who is Kik, and how does Lance meet her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
By the end of the story, it becomes evident that some of Lance's "enemies" actually serve as his "teachers" in the long run. Cite two examples from the book of how a supposed enemy turns out to play the role of teacher, offering Lance valuable life lessons.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how beating cancer prepares Lance for the race of his life, the Tour de France.
Essay Topic 3
The experience of cancer transforms the protagonist. Explain how experiencing and surviving the disease enables Lance to forge his deep sense of conviction and helps him connect to his heart.
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)