|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lance's manager, Bill Stapleton, say about quitting cycling as a cancer survivor?
2. Even though Lance is busy with his foundation and cancer appears to be behind him, what is he afraid of?
3. Given a choice between cancer and the Tour, what would Lance choose?
4. What does Lance see as he approaches the finish line of his first Tour de France?
5. Lance regards LaTrice as his:
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lance learn about his post-cancer body as he trains in the mountains for the Tour de France?
2. How is Lance received in the United States after winning his first Tour de France?
3. When Lance wins his first Tour de France, what does he see as he crosses the finish line?
4. After Cofidis dissolves Lance's contract, who offers Lance a racing contract?
5. Describe the day of the birth of Lance's first child.
6. As Kik and Lance continue to work together on his foundation, what do they discover about one another?
7. In between chemotherapy cycles, what does Lance do back in Austin?
8. Who is Kik, and how does Lance meet her?
9. What is the Ride for the Roses?
10. How is the U.S. Postal Team that Lance races with regarded at the start of the Tour de France?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During his teen years, Lance finds that his growing career as an athlete is met with resistance by the culture in which he lives. Explain how Lance overcomes rejection and other obstacles he faces as a teenager from his community and his school. Do these obstacles give him more determination to succeed? Support your answer with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Describe how Lance applies personal attributes he developed as an athlete, such as strength, determination, drive, and perseverance, towards championing causes for cancer victims and raising money for cancer research.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Lance's evolution as an athlete.
1. How do "failures" lead him to cycling?
2. How do his successes in certain sports lead him eventually to bicycle racing?
3. What does Lance learn about himself from both his failures and successes as an athlete early in life?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)