|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lance do after learning he has cancer?
2. Who is Linda Mooneyham?
3. What is Lance's primary concern when he first learns he has cancer?
4. What does Lance's mother do while raising him?
5. Lance explains that he does not check his mother at the door when he is about to meet the:
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lance want to quit racing at times?
2. What does Dr. Jim Reeves conclude after conducting a series of medical tests on Lance Armstrong?
3. What issues does Lance run into with health insurance as he goes into treatments to combat cancer?
4. In addition to covering his journey as a cancer survivor, what other main aspects of Lance Armstrong's life does the book discuss?
5. What sports does Lance excel in as a child and teenager?
6. What decision does Lance make about his treatment options?
7. What does Lance do after he learns that he has cancer?
8. What treatment options are available to Lance other than what the Houston doctors propose?
9. What propels Lance to consult with a doctor?
10. What does Lance's mother do when she learns her son has cancer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Paint a portrait of Lance Armstrong in terms of:
1. A hero people look up to and find inspiration from.
2. A human being with issues and flaws.
How is Lance able to embody both descriptions simultaneously? How does he fit the role of "imperfect hero?"
Essay Topic 2
The experience of cancer transforms the protagonist. Explain how experiencing and surviving the disease enables Lance to forge his deep sense of conviction and helps him connect to his heart.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the relationship Lance has with his mother during his childhood, teen years, and adult years.
1. What lessons does she help teach him?
2. In what ways does she support him?
3. In what ways is she a "hero" in this story?
4. Would Lance have made it as far in life without the support of his mother? Validate your answer with examples.
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)