|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What advice from coaches does Lance fail to listen to early in his career?
2. The triathlons that Lance does extremely well in combines which three sports?
3. Instead of giving Houston doctors a definitive answer, Lance and his mother do what?
4. Who is Rick Parker?
5. At the World Championships in Norway, Lance becomes the:
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Jim Hoyt, and what is his relationship to Lance?
2. Explain where Lance is in his life when signs of cancer appear.
3. Describe how Lance's once in a lifetime experience with the 1990 Junior World Championship in Moscow almost prevents him from graduating high school on time.
4. Why does Lance need to bank his sperm prior to undergoing treatment for cancer?
5. What Tour de France victory does Lance enjoy at the age of twenty-one?
6. In addition to covering his journey as a cancer survivor, what other main aspects of Lance Armstrong's life does the book discuss?
7. How does Lance's outlook change when he learns he has tumors in his brain?
8. Lance describes himself as brash during the early phases of his cycling career. How does this brashness interfere with his progress?
9. Why does Lance want to quit racing at times?
10. Explain the title of this chapter, "I Don't Check My Mother At The Door."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The experience of cancer transforms the protagonist. Explain how experiencing and surviving the disease enables Lance to forge his deep sense of conviction and helps him connect to his heart.
Essay Topic 2
During his teen years, Lance finds that his growing career as an athlete is met with resistance by the culture in which he lives. Explain how Lance overcomes rejection and other obstacles he faces as a teenager from his community and his school. Do these obstacles give him more determination to succeed? Support your answer with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Describe how Lance applies personal attributes he developed as an athlete, such as strength, determination, drive, and perseverance, towards championing causes for cancer victims and raising money for cancer research.
This section contains 1,056 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)