|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Lance when he gets his first bike?
2. What does an MRI reveal to Lance's doctors?
(a) Brain tumors.
(b) The absence of cancer.
(c) A lump on his shoulder.
(d) A heart condition.
3. Why does Lance bank his sperm prior to starting chemotherapy?
(a) To see if the cancer has affected his sperm count.
(b) A coach recommends he do this.
(c) The treatment may make him sterile.
(d) So he can have offspring in case he doesn't live.
4. What does Lance's mother do when she learns her son has cancer?
(a) Tells Lance's stepfather.
(b) Flies to Houston to speak with specialists.
(c) Goes to Austin to support him.
5. Lance's brain surgery:
(a) Is a success.
(b) Is not covered by insurance.
(c) Takes five times as long as expected.
(d) Reveals additional lesions.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lance accomplish at the age of twenty-one at the Tour de France?
2. When Lance runs a red light on his bike, is hit by a car, and is treated at the hospital, what do doctors say?
3. Who offers to contact Lance's mom and tell her about his cancer when he cannot do it himself?
4. What advice from coaches does Lance fail to listen to early in his career?
5. Who is Dr. Steven Wolf?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Jim Hoyt, and what is his relationship to Lance?
2. What does Lance's mother do when she learns her son has cancer?
3. Why does Lance want to quit racing at times?
4. What is the outcome of Lance's brain surgery?
5. What decision does Lance make about his treatment options?
6. Explain where Lance spends his youth and why he feels he does not fit in.
7. What propels Lance to consult with a doctor?
8. Why does Lance need to bank his sperm prior to undergoing treatment for cancer?
9. What does Lance do after he learns that he has cancer?
10. Lance describes himself as brash during the early phases of his cycling career. How does this brashness interfere with his progress?
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)