|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before becoming a pro cyclist, Lance excels at:
(a) Benefit races.
(b) Amateur international racing.
(c) Line dancing.
(d) Cycling exhibitions.
2. Who is Rick Parker?
(a) Lance's friend, who is a doctor.
(b) Lance's competitor.
(c) Lance's mentor, who owns a bike shop.
(d) Lance's manager.
3. What advice from coaches does Lance fail to listen to early in his career?
(a) To ignore the crowds.
(b) To not eat before a race.
(c) To wear sunscreen.
(d) To pace himself.
4. How does Lance respond to pressure from the Houston doctor?
(a) He tells the doctor to back off.
(b) He asks his mom to talk with this doctor.
(c) He leaves without saying a word.
(d) He says he needs to think about it over lunch.
5. Why does one of Lance's competitors intentionally finish a race in fourth place even though he is easily in second place?
(a) He wants to make sure Lance finishes in second place.
(b) He doesn't want to stand next to Lance on the winner's podium.
(c) He wants his friends to take second and third places.
(d) He loses his confidence when Lance passes him by.
6. At twenty-one, Lance competes in the World Championships in:
7. Why does Lance finally consult with a doctor after his symptoms appear?
(a) He gets medical insurance.
(b) His symptoms and pain have grown severe.
(c) His coach, girlfriend, and best friends urge him to go.
(d) He goes in for an annual checkup.
8. Why is Lance's insurance denied?
(a) He hasn't been making his premium payments.
(b) His cancer is considered a pre-existing condition.
(c) His insurance company has gone bankrupt.
(d) He failed to fill out the right forms.
9. When Lance arrives at the hospital in preparation for surgery to remove a cancerous growth, what is he hoping for?
(a) That he wakes up from this bad dream.
(b) That the specialists know what they're doing.
(c) That his mother gets there on time.
(d) That the diagnosis was wrong.
10. How old is Lance's mother when she gives birth to him?
11. In addition to covering Lance's journey through cancer, this book documents the obstacles he overcame to:
(a) Become a champion golfer.
(b) Locate his birth mother.
(c) Pay his mounting debt.
(d) Win the Tour de France.
12. Despite his performance at the Tour de France at the age of twenty-one, what is Lance unable to do?
(a) Get along with his teammates.
(b) Accept defeat.
(c) Complete the race.
(d) Repair his bike in time.
13. What does Lance's mother do when she learns her son has cancer?
(a) Goes to Austin to support him.
(c) Tells Lance's stepfather.
(d) Flies to Houston to speak with specialists.
14. Moreno Argentin is one of Lance's:
(a) Most annoying teammates.
(b) Toughest competitors.
(c) Most capable doctors.
(d) Best friends.
15. What are the chances that Lance will survive his cancer?
(a) Very high.
(b) Extremely low.
(d) It is practically assured.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lance explains that he does not check his mother at the door when he is about to meet the:
2. What does the Houston doctor say to Lance when the cyclist hesitates?
3. How does young Lance do in the Ironkids competition he enters?
4. What does Lance do after learning he has cancer?
5. What does Lance accomplish at the age of twenty-one at the Tour de France?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)