|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Idolaters," how do people know that Pallura has arrived?
2. How does Giacobbe react to the red lights in the sky?
3. What award did Luigi Pirandello win in 1934?
4. Why does the Marquis move in with the Countess?
5. How does Giacobbe get inside the church in Mascalico?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after Nunzia invites the Marquis over for dinner?
2. What is Giacobbe's plan for his visit to Mascalico?
3. What is Cesara Reis's wedding like?
4. How do the townspeople react to the red lights in the sky in "The Idolaters"?
5. How does the Marquis feel about Nunzia's methods of raising her social status?
6. How does the wedding party react to the news that Cesara Reis's wedding has been postponed?
7. In "The Fountain of Pietrarsa," how does the engineer feel at the end of the story?
8. What role does Professor Gori play in Cesara Reis's engagement?
9. What does the woman with the toys reveal about herself when she asks questions in "Broken Toys"?
10. In "Broken Toys," what happens after the stocky man opens the train's door?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the theme of betrayal across at least two stories.
Essay Topic 2
How do these stories show a theme of suffering? Consider suffering for one's self as well as for other people.
Essay Topic 3
Explore the use of symbolism in this collection. Choose three symbols that are used in the stories and describe each. Compare and contrast the use of each symbol.
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)