|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what does Pietrarsa suffer while waiting for the fountain to be built?
2. How does the stocky man in "Broken Toys" describe the other people on the train?
3. Why does Pallura bring candle wax with him in "The Idolaters"?
4. What do Giacobbe and his men want to do in the church in Mascalico?
5. When does the fabric on Professor Gori's frock-coat tear?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the wedding party react to the news that Cesara Reis's wedding has been postponed?
2. Why is progress on the fountain in "The Fountain of Pietrarsa" continually stalled?
3. What happens when the narrator runs into the engineer in "The Fountain of Pietrarsa"?
4. How does Nunzia initially feel about the Marquis?
5. In "The Idolaters," why are the townspeople so eager for Pallura to arrive?
6. What happens after Nunzia invites the Marquis over for dinner?
7. Why does Bistino no longer work for the Marquis?
8. Why do the townspeople of Pietrarsa gather outside the mayor's house in "The Fountain of Pietrarsa"?
9. What is Cesara Reis's wedding like?
10. In "Broken Toys," what happens after the stocky man opens the train's door?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is religion a character? Choose 2-3 stories and explain how religion acts as a character in each story.
Essay Topic 2
Explore the use of symbolism in this collection. Choose three symbols that are used in the stories and describe each. Compare and contrast the use of each symbol.
Essay Topic 3
How does setting function as a character in one of these stories? Explore the ways that setting helps to develop the characters and plot.
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)