|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the wedding party respond when Professor Gori says Cesara Reis's wedding will go as planned?
2. Why doesn't Professor Gori get his frock-coat repaired when it tears?
3. When does the stock man open the train door in "Broken Toys"?
4. What does the narrator of "The Fountain of Pietrarsa" bet the engineer?
5. How do the people of Radusa respond to the red lights in the sky in "The Idolaters"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Fountain of Pietrarsa," how does the engineer feel at the end of the story?
2. What happens when the narrator runs into the engineer in "The Fountain of Pietrarsa"?
3. What role does Professor Gori play in Cesara Reis's engagement?
4. How do the people on the train act in "Broken Toys"?
5. Why does the engineer in "The Fountain of Pietrarsa" agree to take the narrator's bet?
6. How does the stocky man in "Broken Toys" judge the Southern Italians?
7. What happens after Nunzia invites the Marquis over for dinner?
8. Why doesn't Pallura have candle wax with him in "The Idolaters"?
9. How do the townspeople react to the red lights in the sky in "The Idolaters"?
10. In "Broken Toys," what happens after the stocky man opens the train's door?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose two authors who appear to be different and explain how they reflect similar message and values in their stories.
Essay Topic 2
How is religion a character? Choose 2-3 stories and explain how religion acts as a character in each story.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the use of dialogue in at least two stories. How does the dialogue affect the story?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)