|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Idolaters," how do people know that Pallura has arrived?
2. When does the stocky man in "Broken Toys" say he moved?
3. How does Bistino remember the Marquis treating him in the past?
4. From what does Pietrarsa suffer while waiting for the fountain to be built?
5. What does Professor Gori do after he tells the wedding party the wedding will go as planned?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the stocky man in "Broken Toys" judge the Southern Italians?
2. Why does the engineer in "The Fountain of Pietrarsa" agree to take the narrator's bet?
3. In "The Fountain of Pietrarsa," how does the engineer feel at the end of the story?
4. How do the townspeople react to the red lights in the sky in "The Idolaters"?
5. What is the problem with Professor Gori's frock-coat?
6. Why doesn't Pallura have candle wax with him in "The Idolaters"?
7. What is Cesara Reis's wedding like?
8. In "The Idolaters," why are the townspeople so eager for Pallura to arrive?
9. How does the Marquis feel about Nunzia's methods of raising her social status?
10. How does the wedding party react to the news that Cesara Reis's wedding has been postponed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze how the authors reflect on the role of the government in their stories. What commentary is provided?
Essay Topic 2
Explain why you think these stories were compiled. Describe three themes or messages that this collection explores as a whole.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast three antagonists.
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)