|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do some people in "The Fountain of Pietrarsa" want the fountain moved?
2. What do the people gathered around the mayor of Pietrarsa's house do?
3. Who offers to repair the tear in Professor Gori's frock-coat?
4. What do Giacobbe and his men want to do in the church in Mascalico?
5. What does the priest in "The Idolaters" do with the statuesof San Pantaleone?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Fountain of Pietrarsa," how does the engineer feel at the end of the story?
2. Why is progress on the fountain in "The Fountain of Pietrarsa" continually stalled?
3. What is the problem with Professor Gori's frock-coat?
4. How do the people on the train act in "Broken Toys"?
5. What is Giacobbe's plan for his visit to Mascalico?
6. What is Cesara Reis's wedding like?
7. How does the stocky man in "Broken Toys" judge the Southern Italians?
8. Why does Professor Gori want Cesara Reis to go on with her wedding as planned?
9. What role does Professor Gori play in Cesara Reis's engagement?
10. Why do the townspeople of Pietrarsa gather outside the mayor's house in "The Fountain of Pietrarsa"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the theme of betrayal across at least two stories.
Essay Topic 2
How does geography impact these stories? Choose three stories and explain how geography helps to develop the characters and plot.
Essay Topic 3
Select one story and consider the impact of the author's biography on the creation and message of the story.
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)