|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Broken Toys," where are the people traveling from?
2. What do the townspeople take with them when they go to Mascalico with Pallura?
3. Why doesn't Giacobbe go through with his plan in the Mascalico church?
4. How does the Marquis treat Nunzia when he moves in?
5. How does Nunzia try to raise her social status?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is progress on the fountain in "The Fountain of Pietrarsa" continually stalled?
2. What role does Professor Gori play in Cesara Reis's engagement?
3. What happens to the statue of San Pantaleone at the end of "The Idolaters"?
4. Why do the townspeople of Pietrarsa gather outside the mayor's house in "The Fountain of Pietrarsa"?
5. Why is the town of Pietrarsa building a fountain in "The Fountain of Pietrarsa"?
6. How do the people on the train act in "Broken Toys"?
7. What is the problem with Professor Gori's frock-coat?
8. In "The Idolaters," why are the townspeople so eager for Pallura to arrive?
9. How does Professor Gori realize Cesara Reis's wedding has been postponed?
10. What does the woman with the toys reveal about herself when she asks questions in "Broken Toys"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Select one story that acts as a allegory. Explain how the story functions as an allegory and what the message is.
Essay Topic 2
How is religion a character? Choose 2-3 stories and explain how religion acts as a character in each story.
Essay Topic 3
Explore the use of symbolism in this collection. Choose three symbols that are used in the stories and describe each. Compare and contrast the use of each symbol.
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)