|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What role does Professor Gori play in Cesara Reis's marriage?
2. What do Giacobbe and his men want to do in the church in Mascalico?
3. How do the people of Radusa respond to the red lights in the sky in "The Idolaters"?
4. How does the stocky man in "Broken Toys" describe the other people on the train?
5. In "The Idolaters," what are the red lights in the sky?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is progress on the fountain in "The Fountain of Pietrarsa" continually stalled?
2. In "The Fountain of Pietrarsa," how does the engineer feel at the end of the story?
3. In "Broken Toys," what happens after the stocky man opens the train's door?
4. Why do the townspeople of Pietrarsa gather outside the mayor's house in "The Fountain of Pietrarsa"?
5. What role does the statue of San Pantaleone play in the lives of the townspeople in "The Idolaters"?
6. What happens when the narrator runs into the engineer in "The Fountain of Pietrarsa"?
7. What is the problem with Professor Gori's frock-coat?
8. How does the wedding party react to the news that Cesara Reis's wedding has been postponed?
9. In "The Idolaters," why are the townspeople so eager for Pallura to arrive?
10. Why doesn't Pallura have candle wax with him in "The Idolaters"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one story and explore how marriage is represented in it. What message is the author trying to convey about marriage?
Essay Topic 2
How is religion a character? Choose 2-3 stories and explain how religion acts as a character in each story.
Essay Topic 3
How do these stories show a theme of suffering? Consider suffering for one's self as well as for other people.
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)