|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the goal of literary "Futurists"?
2. What meetings are held in "The Fountain of Pietrarsa" to try to resolve the problems with the fountain?
3. Why do some people in "The Fountain of Pietrarsa" want the fountain moved?
4. What does the woman with the toys ask the stock man in "Broken Toys"?
5. How does Nunzia describe the Countess?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Marquis feel about Nunzia's methods of raising her social status?
2. What happens after Nunzia invites the Marquis over for dinner?
3. What is the problem with Professor Gori's frock-coat?
4. Why does Bistino no longer work for the Marquis?
5. Why doesn't Pallura have candle wax with him in "The Idolaters"?
6. How does the stocky man in "Broken Toys" judge the Southern Italians?
7. Why is progress on the fountain in "The Fountain of Pietrarsa" continually stalled?
8. Why does the engineer in "The Fountain of Pietrarsa" agree to take the narrator's bet?
9. How does Professor Gori realize Cesara Reis's wedding has been postponed?
10. What role does the statue of San Pantaleone play in the lives of the townspeople in "The Idolaters"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do these stories show a theme of suffering? Consider suffering for one's self as well as for other people.
Essay Topic 2
Select 2-4 stories and explore the roles of women. What do these stories describe? How do they convey a message about the roles of women?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the struggles between the upper and lower classes in Italy throughout the time periods these stories represent. Select three stories that best illustrate these struggles.
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)