|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Nunzia describe the Countess?
2. Why does Professor Gori decide to "stand up for" Cesara Reis after her wedding is postponed?
3. How does Giacobbe get inside the church in Mascalico?
4. How does the mayor of Pietrarsa first react to the people who resist the fountain?
5. Why does the Marquis move in with the Countess?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Bistino no longer work for the Marquis?
2. What is the problem with Professor Gori's frock-coat?
3. Why is the town of Pietrarsa building a fountain in "The Fountain of Pietrarsa"?
4. What does the woman with the toys reveal about herself when she asks questions in "Broken Toys"?
5. Why doesn't Pallura have candle wax with him in "The Idolaters"?
6. Why does the engineer in "The Fountain of Pietrarsa" agree to take the narrator's bet?
7. How do the people on the train act in "Broken Toys"?
8. Why does Professor Gori want Cesara Reis to go on with her wedding as planned?
9. How does the Marquis feel about Nunzia's methods of raising her social status?
10. What role does the statue of San Pantaleone play in the lives of the townspeople in "The Idolaters"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose two authors who appear to be different and explain how they reflect similar message and values in their stories.
Essay Topic 2
Explain why you think these stories were compiled. Describe three themes or messages that this collection explores as a whole.
Essay Topic 3
How does geography impact these stories? Choose three stories and explain how geography helps to develop the characters and plot.
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)