|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Idolaters," what are the red lights in the sky?
2. Why does Professor Gori find the groom's brother when he hears the wedding has been canceled?
3. In "The Fountain of Pietrarsa," where is the fountain going to be built?
4. How is Bistino related to the Marquis?
5. In "Broken Toys," where are the people traveling from?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Idolaters," why are the townspeople so eager for Pallura to arrive?
2. In "Broken Toys," what happens after the stocky man opens the train's door?
3. Why is progress on the fountain in "The Fountain of Pietrarsa" continually stalled?
4. Why does Professor Gori want Cesara Reis to go on with her wedding as planned?
5. What does the woman with the toys reveal about herself when she asks questions in "Broken Toys"?
6. What role does Professor Gori play in Cesara Reis's engagement?
7. What is the problem with Professor Gori's frock-coat?
8. Why doesn't Pallura have candle wax with him in "The Idolaters"?
9. How does the wedding party react to the news that Cesara Reis's wedding has been postponed?
10. Why does Bistino no longer work for the Marquis?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does setting function as a character in one of these stories? Explore the ways that setting helps to develop the characters and plot.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast three antagonists.
Essay Topic 3
How does geography impact these stories? Choose three stories and explain how geography helps to develop the characters and plot.
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)