|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens every time a plan is made for the fountain in "The Fountain of Pietrarsa"?
2. What do the people gathered around the mayor of Pietrarsa's house do?
3. How does Nunzia describe the Countess?
4. In "The Idolaters," how do people know that Pallura has arrived?
5. How does the wedding party respond when Professor Gori says Cesara Reis's wedding will go as planned?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does Professor Gori play in Cesara Reis's engagement?
2. How do the townspeople react to the red lights in the sky in "The Idolaters"?
3. How does the wedding party react to the news that Cesara Reis's wedding has been postponed?
4. What happens after Nunzia invites the Marquis over for dinner?
5. In "The Fountain of Pietrarsa," how does the engineer feel at the end of the story?
6. Why do the townspeople of Pietrarsa gather outside the mayor's house in "The Fountain of Pietrarsa"?
7. Why is progress on the fountain in "The Fountain of Pietrarsa" continually stalled?
8. How do the people on the train act in "Broken Toys"?
9. Why does the engineer in "The Fountain of Pietrarsa" agree to take the narrator's bet?
10. Why does Bistino no longer work for the Marquis?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Select 2-4 stories and explore the roles of women. What do these stories describe? How do they convey a message about the roles of women?
Essay Topic 2
Select one story that acts as a allegory. Explain how the story functions as an allegory and what the message is.
Essay Topic 3
Explore the use of symbolism in this collection. Choose three symbols that are used in the stories and describe each. Compare and contrast the use of each symbol.
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)