|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Professor Gori do after he tells the wedding party the wedding will go as planned?
2. According to Nunzia, how did the Marquis lose his money?
3. In "The Fountain of Pietrarsa," where is the fountain going to be built?
4. In "The Fountain of Pietrarsa," what is wrong with the town's democratic system?
5. When does the fabric on Professor Gori's frock-coat tear?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does the statue of San Pantaleone play in the lives of the townspeople in "The Idolaters"?
2. Why is the town of Pietrarsa building a fountain in "The Fountain of Pietrarsa"?
3. How does the Marquis feel about Nunzia's methods of raising her social status?
4. What happens to the statue of San Pantaleone at the end of "The Idolaters"?
5. Why does Professor Gori want Cesara Reis to go on with her wedding as planned?
6. How does the stocky man in "Broken Toys" judge the Southern Italians?
7. How do the townspeople react to the red lights in the sky in "The Idolaters"?
8. How does Professor Gori realize Cesara Reis's wedding has been postponed?
9. What does the woman with the toys reveal about herself when she asks questions in "Broken Toys"?
10. How does the wedding party react to the news that Cesara Reis's wedding has been postponed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast three antagonists.
Essay Topic 2
Choose three characters that could be described as victims. Explain how each character fits this definition and what the literary value of having a victim is.
Essay Topic 3
Select one story that acts as a allegory. Explain how the story functions as an allegory and what the message is.
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)