|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Fountain of Pietrarsa," where is the fountain going to be built?
2. What happens every time a plan is made for the fountain in "The Fountain of Pietrarsa"?
3. Why doesn't Professor Gori get his frock-coat repaired when it tears?
4. What does Giacobbe suggest happened to Pallura's candles?
5. How does the woman with the toys feel about the stocky man opening the door in "Broken Toys"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the stocky man in "Broken Toys" judge the Southern Italians?
2. In "Broken Toys," what happens after the stocky man opens the train's door?
3. How does Nunzia initially feel about the Marquis?
4. How do the townspeople react to the red lights in the sky in "The Idolaters"?
5. How does the Marquis feel about Nunzia's methods of raising her social status?
6. In "The Idolaters," why are the townspeople so eager for Pallura to arrive?
7. What does the woman with the toys reveal about herself when she asks questions in "Broken Toys"?
8. What role does the statue of San Pantaleone play in the lives of the townspeople in "The Idolaters"?
9. Why does Bistino no longer work for the Marquis?
10. How do the people on the train act in "Broken Toys"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why you think these stories were compiled. Describe three themes or messages that this collection explores as a whole.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the use of dialogue in at least two stories. How does the dialogue affect the story?
Essay Topic 3
Select one story and consider the impact of the author's biography on the creation and message of the story.
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)