|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Cesara Reis doing when Professor Gori goes into her apartment?
2. How does the wedding party respond when Professor Gori says Cesara Reis's wedding will go as planned?
3. How does Giacobbe want the people of Mascalico to feel after his visit to their church?
4. In "The Fountain of Pietrarsa," what is wrong with the town's democratic system?
5. Why do the townspeople rush to greet Pallura?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Fountain of Pietrarsa," how does the engineer feel at the end of the story?
2. Why doesn't Pallura have candle wax with him in "The Idolaters"?
3. What happens to the statue of San Pantaleone at the end of "The Idolaters"?
4. What is the problem with Professor Gori's frock-coat?
5. Why do the townspeople of Pietrarsa gather outside the mayor's house in "The Fountain of Pietrarsa"?
6. How does the stocky man in "Broken Toys" judge the Southern Italians?
7. Why does Bistino no longer work for the Marquis?
8. Why does the engineer in "The Fountain of Pietrarsa" agree to take the narrator's bet?
9. Why is the town of Pietrarsa building a fountain in "The Fountain of Pietrarsa"?
10. How does Professor Gori realize Cesara Reis's wedding has been postponed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one story and explore how marriage is represented in it. What message is the author trying to convey about marriage?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the use of dialogue in at least two stories. How does the dialogue affect the story?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the struggles between the upper and lower classes in Italy throughout the time periods these stories represent. Select three stories that best illustrate these struggles.
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)