|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Cesara Reis doing when Professor Gori goes into her apartment?
2. Who gathers around the mayor of Pietrarsa's house in "The Fountain of Pietrarsa"?
3. How does Bistino remember the Marquis treating him in the past?
4. Why is Bistino initially upset when the Marquis moves in?
5. In "Broken Toys," where are the people traveling from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the statue of San Pantaleone at the end of "The Idolaters"?
2. How does Nunzia initially feel about the Marquis?
3. How does the Marquis feel about Nunzia's methods of raising her social status?
4. What role does the statue of San Pantaleone play in the lives of the townspeople in "The Idolaters"?
5. Why doesn't Pallura have candle wax with him in "The Idolaters"?
6. Why is the town of Pietrarsa building a fountain in "The Fountain of Pietrarsa"?
7. Why is progress on the fountain in "The Fountain of Pietrarsa" continually stalled?
8. What role does Professor Gori play in Cesara Reis's engagement?
9. In "The Fountain of Pietrarsa," how does the engineer feel at the end of the story?
10. Why do the townspeople of Pietrarsa gather outside the mayor's house in "The Fountain of Pietrarsa"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do these stories show a theme of suffering? Consider suffering for one's self as well as for other people.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the political forces described in the author's biography to the political forces in their story.
Essay Topic 3
How does geography impact these stories? Choose three stories and explain how geography helps to develop the characters and plot.
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)