|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the priest in "The Idolaters" do with the statuesof San Pantaleone?
2. What do the townspeople take with them when they go to Mascalico with Pallura?
3. Why does Pallura bring candle wax with him in "The Idolaters"?
4. How does the narrator of "The Fountain of Pietrarsa" treat the engineer of Pietrarsa?
5. What is the woman with the toys looking for on the train in "Broken Toys"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the stocky man in "Broken Toys" judge the Southern Italians?
2. How does the Marquis feel about Nunzia's methods of raising her social status?
3. How does Professor Gori realize Cesara Reis's wedding has been postponed?
4. How do the townspeople react to the red lights in the sky in "The Idolaters"?
5. How does Nunzia initially feel about the Marquis?
6. How do the people on the train act in "Broken Toys"?
7. What happens to the statue of San Pantaleone at the end of "The Idolaters"?
8. What is Cesara Reis's wedding like?
9. What role does Professor Gori play in Cesara Reis's engagement?
10. Why do the townspeople of Pietrarsa gather outside the mayor's house in "The Fountain of Pietrarsa"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the use of dialogue in at least two stories. How does the dialogue affect the story?
Essay Topic 2
Explain why you think these stories were compiled. Describe three themes or messages that this collection explores as a whole.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one story and explore how marriage is represented in it. What message is the author trying to convey about marriage?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)