|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who offers to repair the tear in Professor Gori's frock-coat?
2. How is Bistino related to the Marquis?
3. Why does Pallura bring candle wax with him in "The Idolaters"?
4. How does Giacobbe react to the red lights in the sky?
5. What does Giacobbe suggest happened to Pallura's candles?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the problem with Professor Gori's frock-coat?
2. In "The Idolaters," why are the townspeople so eager for Pallura to arrive?
3. How does the stocky man in "Broken Toys" judge the Southern Italians?
4. What happens to the statue of San Pantaleone at the end of "The Idolaters"?
5. In "The Fountain of Pietrarsa," how does the engineer feel at the end of the story?
6. How does Nunzia initially feel about the Marquis?
7. What happens after Nunzia invites the Marquis over for dinner?
8. Why does the engineer in "The Fountain of Pietrarsa" agree to take the narrator's bet?
9. Why do the townspeople of Pietrarsa gather outside the mayor's house in "The Fountain of Pietrarsa"?
10. How does the wedding party react to the news that Cesara Reis's wedding has been postponed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast three antagonists.
Essay Topic 2
Select 2-4 stories and explore the roles of women. What do these stories describe? How do they convey a message about the roles of women?
Essay Topic 3
What does physical movement represent in these stories? Choose 2-3 stories that use physical movement as a symbol and examine the use of that symbol.
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)