|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator of "The Fountain of Pietrarsa" treat the engineer of Pietrarsa?
2. Where are most of the people from on the train in "Broken Toys"?
3. In "The Idolaters," how do people know that Pallura has arrived?
4. How is Bistino related to the Marquis?
5. What does the woman with the toys ask the stock man in "Broken Toys"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Bistino no longer work for the Marquis?
2. How do the townspeople react to the red lights in the sky in "The Idolaters"?
3. How do the people on the train act in "Broken Toys"?
4. Why is progress on the fountain in "The Fountain of Pietrarsa" continually stalled?
5. How does Nunzia initially feel about the Marquis?
6. What happens to the statue of San Pantaleone at the end of "The Idolaters"?
7. Why does the engineer in "The Fountain of Pietrarsa" agree to take the narrator's bet?
8. Why do the townspeople of Pietrarsa gather outside the mayor's house in "The Fountain of Pietrarsa"?
9. What does the woman with the toys reveal about herself when she asks questions in "Broken Toys"?
10. What is Giacobbe's plan for his visit to Mascalico?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Select 2-4 stories and explore the roles of women. What do these stories describe? How do they convey a message about the roles of women?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the theme of betrayal across at least two stories.
Essay Topic 3
Choose two authors who appear to be different and explain how they reflect similar message and values in their stories.
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)