|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Belfagor's name when he pretends to be a man?
2. Why does Belfagor tease Gianmatteo about the large group of people performing in front of the king?
3. How do Bruno and Buffalmaco react when they find out Calandrino beat his wife?
4. Why can't Belfagor leave town?
5. Why does Belfagor want to possess the daughter of a wealthy man?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bianca react when she learns of Torranza's death?
2. What does Malpelo's name mean?
3. What does Maso tell Calandrino about the helitropia stone?
4. What happens when Bianca waits in her music room?
5. How does Madonna Zilia feel about Monsignor Filiberto when they first meet?
6. How does Bianca affect her father's rule of his city?
7. How do Bruno and Buffalmaco convince Calandrino that he is invisible?
8. Why does the king seek out Gianmatteo?
9. How does Belfagor's plan for Gianmatteo fail?
10. Why do Calandrino and his wife argue when he comes home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one story and explore how marriage is represented in it. What message is the author trying to convey about marriage?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the political forces described in the author's biography to the political forces in their story.
Essay Topic 3
Explore the theme of betrayal across at least two stories.
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)