|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Belfagor's name when he pretends to be a man?
2. Why does Monsignor Filiberto go to France?
3. What do people think caused Malpelo to have red hair?
4. What does the king of France change the award to in "Madonna Zilia"?
5. How does Gianmatteo get Belfagor to leave the king's daughter's body and return to hell?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Bruno and Buffalmaco convince Calandrino to wait a few days before looking for the helitropia stone?
2. How do the rulers of Hell decide to test the holy man's vision in 'Story of the Devil Who Took a Wife"?
3. How does Belfagor say he will make Gianmatteo rich?
4. Why does Belfagor run away from his wife on earth?
5. What does Torranza's letter marked "urgent" say?
6. Why does Malpelo beat Ranocchio?
7. How does Belfagor's plan for Gianmatteo fail?
8. How does Madonna Zilia feel about Monsignor Filiberto when they first meet?
9. Why do Calandrino and his wife argue when he comes home?
10. Why does the king seek out Gianmatteo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze how the authors reflect on the role of the government in their stories. What commentary is provided?
Essay Topic 2
How do these stories show a theme of suffering? Consider suffering for one's self as well as for other people.
Essay Topic 3
Explore the theme of betrayal across at least two stories.
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)