|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Malpelo feel when he visits Ranocchio and sees his mother crying?
2. How much older is Hermes Torranza than Bianca?
3. Why do Bruno and Buffalmaco tell Calandrino he should have avoided his wife?
4. When Madonna Zilia first comes to France, how does Monsignor Filiberto react to her?
5. Why does Calandrino's wife yell at him when he comes home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the king of France do when no doctor can cure Monsignor Filiberto?
2. What do the rulers of Hell learn about the holy man's vision in "Story of the Devil Who Took a Wife"?
3. What does Torranza's letter marked "urgent" say?
4. How does the king of France treat Monsignor Filiberto?
5. Why does Malpelo refuse to work in the room where his father died?
6. How does Belfagor say he will make Gianmatteo rich?
7. How does Madonna Zilia feel about Monsignor Filiberto when they first meet?
8. How does Monsignor Filiberto finally get a kiss from Madonna Zilia?
9. Why do Calandrino and his wife argue when he comes home?
10. How does Belfagor's plan for Gianmatteo fail?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does setting function as a character in one of these stories? Explore the ways that setting helps to develop the characters and plot.
Essay Topic 2
Select one story and consider the impact of the author's biography on the creation and message of the story.
Essay Topic 3
Select one story that acts as a allegory. Explain how the story functions as an allegory and what the message is.
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)