|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Torranza tell Bianca about her marriage in his urgent letter?
2. Why does Onesta's family choose Belfagor to marry her?
3. Why does the king of France change the award for helping Monsignor Filiberto speak?
4. What does Hermes Torranza write in letters to Bianca?
5. What does Malpelo tell Ranocchio when he takes him to the place where his father died?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Bruno and Buffalmaco convince Calandrino to wait a few days before looking for the helitropia stone?
2. How does Maso help to set up Calandrino in "Eighth Day, Third Story"?
3. What does Calandrino believe ruined his magic?
4. Why does Malpelo refuse to work in the room where his father died?
5. How does Bianca's relationship with Torranza develop?
6. How do the rulers of Hell decide to test the holy man's vision in 'Story of the Devil Who Took a Wife"?
7. What does Torranza's letter marked "urgent" say?
8. Why does the king seek out Gianmatteo?
9. What does the king of France do when no doctor can cure Monsignor Filiberto?
10. What do the rulers of Hell learn about the holy man's vision in "Story of the Devil Who Took a Wife"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why you think these stories were compiled. Describe three themes or messages that this collection explores as a whole.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one story and explore how marriage is represented in it. What message is the author trying to convey about marriage?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the political forces described in the author's biography to the political forces in their story.
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)