|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During which century did Boccacio write?
2. Why does Belfagor try to flee town?
3. How does Malpelo feel when he visits Ranocchio and sees his mother crying?
4. Why does Bianca return to San Dona?
5. What is Belfagor given before he goes to earth in the form of a man?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the rulers of Hell decide to test the holy man's vision in 'Story of the Devil Who Took a Wife"?
2. How does Belfagor say he will make Gianmatteo rich?
3. What stories does Malpelo say his father used to tell?
4. How does the king of France treat Monsignor Filiberto?
5. Why does the king seek out Gianmatteo?
6. What does Maso tell Calandrino about the helitropia stone?
7. How does Madonna Zilia feel about Monsignor Filiberto when they first meet?
8. How does Bianca react when she learns of Torranza's death?
9. What does Torranza's letter marked "urgent" say?
10. How does Bianca affect her father's rule of his city?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Select one story and consider the impact of the author's biography on the creation and message of the story.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the political forces described in the author's biography to the political forces in their story.
Essay Topic 3
How is religion a character? Choose 2-3 stories and explain how religion acts as a character in each story.
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)