|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do people think caused Malpelo to have red hair?
2. What time of day do Bruno and Buffalmaco suggest Calandrino look for the helitropia stone?
3. What does Torranza tell Bianca about her marriage in his urgent letter?
4. What custom does Madonna Zilia refuse with Monsignor Filiberto?
5. What lesson does Malpelo try to show Ranocchio about working in the mines?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the rulers of Hell learn about the holy man's vision in "Story of the Devil Who Took a Wife"?
2. How do the rulers of Hell decide to test the holy man's vision in 'Story of the Devil Who Took a Wife"?
3. How does Madonna Zilia feel about Monsignor Filiberto when they first meet?
4. Why does the king seek out Gianmatteo?
5. How does Madonna Zilia try to release Monsignor Filiberto from his oath?
6. How does Bianca's relationship with Torranza develop?
7. How does Spoleto help Monsignor Filiberto?
8. How does Bianca react when she learns of Torranza's death?
9. What does the king of France do when no doctor can cure Monsignor Filiberto?
10. How do Bruno and Buffalmaco convince Calandrino that he is invisible?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why you think these stories were compiled. Describe three themes or messages that this collection explores as a whole.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the struggles between the upper and lower classes in Italy throughout the time periods these stories represent. Select three stories that best illustrate these struggles.
Essay Topic 3
Choose three characters that could be described as victims. Explain how each character fits this definition and what the literary value of having a victim is.
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)