|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Bianca stay silent after learning of Torranza's death?
2. Why do Bruno and Buffalmaco throw stones in the air?
3. Why does Spoleto help Monsignor Filiberto see Madonna Zilia?
4. Why do the Carrettas criticize Torranza?
5. Why do Bruno and Buffalmaco tell Calandrino he should have avoided his wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Malpelo refuse to work in the room where his father died?
2. Why does Malpelo beat Ranocchio?
3. What does Maso tell Calandrino about the helitropia stone?
4. How do Bruno and Buffalmaco convince Calandrino that he is invisible?
5. What does Torranza's letter marked "urgent" say?
6. How does Bianca affect her father's rule of his city?
7. How do the rulers of Hell decide to test the holy man's vision in 'Story of the Devil Who Took a Wife"?
8. What does the king of France do when no doctor can cure Monsignor Filiberto?
9. How does Madonna Zilia feel about Monsignor Filiberto when they first meet?
10. How does Belfagor's plan for Gianmatteo fail?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one story and explore how marriage is represented in it. What message is the author trying to convey about marriage?
Essay Topic 2
How is religion a character? Choose 2-3 stories and explain how religion acts as a character in each story.
Essay Topic 3
Explore the use of symbolism in this collection. Choose three symbols that are used in the stories and describe each. Compare and contrast the use of each symbol.
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)