|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ranocchio tell Malpelo is beyond the stars?
2. What is Monsignor Filiberto's reaction to Madonna Zilia's lack of interest in him?
3. Why does the king of France change the award for helping Monsignor Filiberto speak?
4. What does Bianca do when her father criticizes Torranza?
5. Why does Madonna Zilia ask Monsignor Filiberto to take an oath?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Torranza's letter marked "urgent" say?
2. How does Bianca affect her father's rule of his city?
3. What do the rulers of Hell learn about the holy man's vision in "Story of the Devil Who Took a Wife"?
4. How does Spoleto help Monsignor Filiberto?
5. How does Madonna Zilia feel about Monsignor Filiberto when they first meet?
6. How does Malpelo treat the other miners?
7. How does Bianca know her relationship with Torranza is over?
8. Why does the king seek out Gianmatteo?
9. Why do Calandrino and his wife argue when he comes home?
10. Why does Malpelo beat Ranocchio?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the theme of betrayal across at least two stories.
Essay Topic 2
How do these stories show a theme of suffering? Consider suffering for one's self as well as for other people.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one story and explore how marriage is represented in it. What message is the author trying to convey about marriage?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)