|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Belfagor need to possess a wealthy daughter for a second time?
2. What does Bianca do when her father criticizes Torranza?
3. Why does Bianca stay silent after learning of Torranza's death?
4. What do the miners find where Malpelo's father died?
5. What does Hermes Torranza write in letters to Bianca?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the rulers of Hell decide to test the holy man's vision in 'Story of the Devil Who Took a Wife"?
2. Why does the king seek out Gianmatteo?
3. How does Malpelo feel about his job at the coal mine?
4. How does Maso help to set up Calandrino in "Eighth Day, Third Story"?
5. What does the king of France do when no doctor can cure Monsignor Filiberto?
6. What do the rulers of Hell learn about the holy man's vision in "Story of the Devil Who Took a Wife"?
7. How do Bruno and Buffalmaco convince Calandrino that he is invisible?
8. How does Madonna Zilia feel about Monsignor Filiberto when they first meet?
9. Why do Calandrino and his wife argue when he comes home?
10. What happens when Bianca waits in her music room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Select one story that acts as a allegory. Explain how the story functions as an allegory and what the message is.
Essay Topic 2
How is religion a character? Choose 2-3 stories and explain how religion acts as a character in each story.
Essay Topic 3
Select one story and consider the impact of the author's biography on the creation and message of the story.
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)