|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Belfagor want to possess the daughter of a wealthy man?
2. How does Professor Farsatti feel about Mount San Dona?
3. What is Belfagor given before he goes to earth in the form of a man?
4. In what genre did Fogazzaro write first?
5. Why do the Carrettas criticize Torranza?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Spoleto help Monsignor Filiberto?
2. What does the king of France do when no doctor can cure Monsignor Filiberto?
3. What happens when Bianca waits in her music room?
4. What does Malpelo's name mean?
5. How do the rulers of Hell decide to test the holy man's vision in 'Story of the Devil Who Took a Wife"?
6. How does Belfagor say he will make Gianmatteo rich?
7. How does Bianca's relationship with Torranza develop?
8. How do Bruno and Buffalmaco convince Calandrino to wait a few days before looking for the helitropia stone?
9. Why does Malpelo beat Ranocchio?
10. How does the king of France treat Monsignor Filiberto?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the theme of betrayal across at least two stories.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the struggles between the upper and lower classes in Italy throughout the time periods these stories represent. Select three stories that best illustrate these struggles.
Essay Topic 3
Select one story and consider the impact of the author's biography on the creation and message of the story.
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)