|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Calandrino do for a living?
2. By whom was Giovanni Verga influenced?
3. How does Malpelo feel when he visits Ranocchio and sees his mother crying?
4. Why is Malpelo's mother ashamed of him?
5. What does Hermes Torranza write in letters to Bianca?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the rulers of Hell decide to test the holy man's vision in 'Story of the Devil Who Took a Wife"?
2. Why does Malpelo refuse to work in the room where his father died?
3. How does Malpelo feel about his job at the coal mine?
4. What does Maso tell Calandrino about the helitropia stone?
5. How does Belfagor say he will make Gianmatteo rich?
6. How does Spoleto help Monsignor Filiberto?
7. How does Monsignor Filiberto finally get a kiss from Madonna Zilia?
8. How does Madonna Zilia try to release Monsignor Filiberto from his oath?
9. Why does the king seek out Gianmatteo?
10. What stories does Malpelo say his father used to tell?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the use of dialogue in at least two stories. How does the dialogue affect the story?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the struggles between the upper and lower classes in Italy throughout the time periods these stories represent. Select three stories that best illustrate these struggles.
Essay Topic 3
How is religion a character? Choose 2-3 stories and explain how religion acts as a character in each story.
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)