|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the Carrettas criticize Torranza?
2. Why is Malpelo willing to do dangerous tasks in the mines?
3. What does Spoleto dress as to trick Madonna Zilia?
4. Why is Malpelo's mother ashamed of him?
5. Why does Madonna Zilia travel to France to see Monsignor Filiberto?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Malpelo feel about his job at the coal mine?
2. How do the rulers of Hell decide to test the holy man's vision in 'Story of the Devil Who Took a Wife"?
3. How does Malpelo treat the other miners?
4. How does Belfagor's plan for Gianmatteo fail?
5. How does Spoleto help Monsignor Filiberto?
6. Why does Malpelo refuse to work in the room where his father died?
7. What stories does Malpelo say his father used to tell?
8. Why does the king seek out Gianmatteo?
9. How does the king of France treat Monsignor Filiberto?
10. What does Torranza's letter marked "urgent" say?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the political forces described in the author's biography to the political forces in their story.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast three antagonists.
Essay Topic 3
Explore the theme of betrayal across at least two stories.
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)