|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Bruno and Buffalmaco react when they find out Calandrino beat his wife?
2. Why does Belfagor do as Onesta says in their marriage?
3. How much older is Hermes Torranza than Bianca?
4. What is Belfagor's name when he pretends to be a man?
5. During which century did Boccacio write?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Bruno and Buffalmaco convince Calandrino to wait a few days before looking for the helitropia stone?
2. Why does Professor Gori want Cesara Reis to go on with her wedding as planned?
3. What happens after Nunzia invites the Marquis over for dinner?
4. Why does the engineer in "The Fountain of Pietrarsa" agree to take the narrator's bet?
5. How does Malpelo feel about his job at the coal mine?
6. What is Cesara Reis's wedding like?
7. How do the townspeople react to the red lights in the sky in "The Idolaters"?
8. What role does Professor Gori play in Cesara Reis's engagement?
9. How does Belfagor's plan for Gianmatteo fail?
10. In "The Fountain of Pietrarsa," how does the engineer feel at the end of the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Select one story that acts as a allegory. Explain how the story functions as an allegory and what the message is.
Essay Topic 2
How do these stories show a theme of suffering? Consider suffering for one's self as well as for other people.
Essay Topic 3
What does physical movement represent in these stories? Choose 2-3 stories that use physical movement as a symbol and examine the use of that symbol.
This section contains 1,041 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)