|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hermes Torranza do for a living?
2. Why does Belfagor tease Gianmatteo about the large group of people performing in front of the king?
3. What does Gianmatteo own?
4. What does Torranza tell Bianca about her marriage in his urgent letter?
5. Why does Bianca stay silent after learning of Torranza's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the townspeople react to the red lights in the sky in "The Idolaters"?
2. What happens after Nunzia invites the Marquis over for dinner?
3. In "The Idolaters," why are the townspeople so eager for Pallura to arrive?
4. In "The Fountain of Pietrarsa," how does the engineer feel at the end of the story?
5. How does Maso help to set up Calandrino in "Eighth Day, Third Story"?
6. What does the king of France do when no doctor can cure Monsignor Filiberto?
7. What does Malpelo's name mean?
8. How does Malpelo feel about his job at the coal mine?
9. What happens to the statue of San Pantaleone at the end of "The Idolaters"?
10. What is Cesara Reis's wedding like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose two authors who appear to be different and explain how they reflect similar message and values in their stories.
Essay Topic 2
Choose three characters that could be described as victims. Explain how each character fits this definition and what the literary value of having a victim is.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast three antagonists.
This section contains 1,040 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)