|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many stories are in "The Decameron"?
2. Why does Bianca stay silent after learning of Torranza's death?
3. How does Malpelo's sister feel about him?
4. What does Maso say the helitropia stone does to people?
5. Why does Belfagor tell Gianmatteo to stay away from him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Spoleto help Monsignor Filiberto?
2. Why do the townspeople of Pietrarsa gather outside the mayor's house in "The Fountain of Pietrarsa"?
3. How does Malpelo treat the other miners?
4. What is Giacobbe's plan for his visit to Mascalico?
5. How does Bianca affect her father's rule of his city?
6. What happens in "Competition" after the narrator tells Eunice he loves her?
7. What role does Professor Gori play in Cesara Reis's engagement?
8. What stories does Malpelo say his father used to tell?
9. How does Professor Gori realize Cesara Reis's wedding has been postponed?
10. How do the rulers of Hell decide to test the holy man's vision in 'Story of the Devil Who Took a Wife"?
Essay Topic 1
What does physical movement represent in these stories? Choose 2-3 stories that use physical movement as a symbol and examine the use of that symbol.
Essay Topic 2
Choose two authors who appear to be different and explain how they reflect similar message and values in their stories.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the struggles between the upper and lower classes in Italy throughout the time periods these stories represent. Select three stories that best illustrate these struggles.
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)