|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Spoleto dress as to trick Madonna Zilia?
2. Even though the other miners hate Malpelo, why do they keep him around?
3. How does the king arrange for Gianmatteo to meet with him?
4. How does Verga explain Malpelo's father's death?
5. Why does Calandrino's wife yell at him when he comes home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Maso tell Calandrino about the helitropia stone?
2. How does Madonna Zilia feel about Monsignor Filiberto when they first meet?
3. How do the rulers of Hell decide to test the holy man's vision in 'Story of the Devil Who Took a Wife"?
4. How does Malpelo treat the other miners?
5. How does Madonna Zilia try to release Monsignor Filiberto from his oath?
6. How does Belfagor say he will make Gianmatteo rich?
7. How does Maso help to set up Calandrino in "Eighth Day, Third Story"?
8. What does Calandrino believe ruined his magic?
9. Why does the king seek out Gianmatteo?
10. How does the king of France treat Monsignor Filiberto?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose three characters that could be described as victims. Explain how each character fits this definition and what the literary value of having a victim is.
Essay Topic 2
What does physical movement represent in these stories? Choose 2-3 stories that use physical movement as a symbol and examine the use of that symbol.
Essay Topic 3
Explain why you think these stories were compiled. Describe three themes or messages that this collection explores as a whole.
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)