|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the narrator of "The Fountain of Pietrarsa" run into an engineer of Pietrarsa?
(a) In Florence.
(b) Near Pietrarsa.
(c) Outside of Paris.
(d) Pietrarsa's town center.
2. When is a new express train line built in "Broken Toys"?
(a) Once the old line is sold.
(b) In 1960.
(c) After Italy is liberated.
(d) When Germany lends Italy money.
3. How is Bistino related to the Marquis?
(a) The Marquis owes him money.
(b) They are cousins.
(c) They used to work together.
(d) He used to work for him.
4. What does the narrator of "The Fountain of Pietrarsa" bet the engineer?
(a) That in a year the fountain won't be designed.
(b) That in a year the fountain will be ripped out.
(c) That in a year the engineer will lose his job.
(d) That in a year the fountain won't be installed.
5. Who thinks Cesara Reis and Mr. Migri should reconsider their engagement?
(a) Mr. Migri.
(b) Professor Gogi.
(c) Mr. Migri's mother.
(d) Cesara Reis's father.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Nunzia describe the Marquis?
2. How does the Marquis treat Nunzia when he moves in?
3. Who offers to repair the tear in Professor Gori's frock-coat?
4. How do the other townspeople react the Giacobbe's theory of what happened to Pallura's candles?
5. In "The Fountain of Pietrarsa," what happens while the fountain's construction is halted?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the problem with Professor Gori's frock-coat?
2. What is Cesara Reis's wedding like?
3. What happens after Nunzia invites the Marquis over for dinner?
4. How does the stocky man in "Broken Toys" judge the Southern Italians?
5. In "The Fountain of Pietrarsa," how does the engineer feel at the end of the story?
6. How do the people on the train act in "Broken Toys"?
7. What does the woman with the toys reveal about herself when she asks questions in "Broken Toys"?
8. Why is progress on the fountain in "The Fountain of Pietrarsa" continually stalled?
9. How does Professor Gori realize Cesara Reis's wedding has been postponed?
10. How does the Marquis feel about Nunzia's methods of raising her social status?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)