|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does the stocky man in "Broken Toys" say he moved?
(a) After he was married.
(b) Just the past year.
(c) When he was young.
(d) He has never moved.
2. How do the other townspeople react the Giacobbe's theory of what happened to Pallura's candles?
(a) They agree with him.
(b) They are angered by it.
(c) They are understanding.
(d) They ignore him.
3. In "Broken Toys," how does the stocky man feel about the woman with the questions about toys?
(a) He thinks she is nosy.
(b) He thinks she is boring.
(c) He thinks she is beautiful.
(d) He thinks she is ignorant.
4. How does the mayor of Pietrarsa first react to the people who resist the fountain?
(a) He ignores them.
(b) He tries to convince them he is right.
(c) He immediately gives in to them.
(d) He has them arrested.
5. Why does the mayor of Pietrarsa finally agree to move the fountain?
(a) The engineer talks the mayor into it.
(b) He lets them vote on it.
(c) He gets paid to have the fountain moved.
(d) He knows the people won't change their minds.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the people of Radusa respond to the red lights in the sky in "The Idolaters"?
2. In "The Fountain of Pietrarsa," where is the fountain going to be built?
3. When is a new express train line built in "Broken Toys"?
4. How is Bistino related to the Marquis?
5. Where are most of the people from on the train in "Broken Toys"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the stocky man in "Broken Toys" judge the Southern Italians?
2. What role does the statue of San Pantaleone play in the lives of the townspeople in "The Idolaters"?
3. How does Professor Gori realize Cesara Reis's wedding has been postponed?
4. What happens after Nunzia invites the Marquis over for dinner?
5. In "Broken Toys," what happens after the stocky man opens the train's door?
6. In "The Fountain of Pietrarsa," how does the engineer feel at the end of the story?
7. What is the problem with Professor Gori's frock-coat?
8. How does the wedding party react to the news that Cesara Reis's wedding has been postponed?
9. What does the woman with the toys reveal about herself when she asks questions in "Broken Toys"?
10. Why does Professor Gori want Cesara Reis to go on with her wedding as planned?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)