|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Professor Gori get his frock-coat repaired when it tears?
(a) He throws it away instead.
(b) He has to go to a wedding.
(c) He doesn't notice it at first.
(d) He doesn't want to spend the money.
2. How does the narrator of "The Fountain of Pietrarsa" treat the engineer of Pietrarsa?
(a) He ignores him.
(b) He praises him.
(c) He teases him.
(d) He insults him.
3. Who offers to repair the tear in Professor Gori's frock-coat?
(a) The clerk.
(b) His daughter.
(c) His housemaid.
(d) His neighbor.
4. What does the narrator of "The Fountain of Pietrarsa" bet the engineer?
(a) That in a year the engineer will lose his job.
(b) That in a year the fountain won't be installed.
(c) That in a year the fountain will be ripped out.
(d) That in a year the fountain won't be designed.
5. How does Nunzia describe the Countess?
(a) As a nagging woman.
(b) As a boring woman.
(c) As a hateful woman.
(d) As a wonderful woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the woman with the toys looking for on the train in "Broken Toys"?
2. How does Nunzia try to raise her social status?
3. How does the mayor of Pietrarsa first react to the people who resist the fountain?
4. What does Giacobbe suggest happened to Pallura's candles?
5. Who gathers around the mayor of Pietrarsa's house in "The Fountain of Pietrarsa"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the townspeople react to the red lights in the sky in "The Idolaters"?
2. Why does Bistino no longer work for the Marquis?
3. In "Broken Toys," what happens after the stocky man opens the train's door?
4. What role does Professor Gori play in Cesara Reis's engagement?
5. How do the people on the train act in "Broken Toys"?
6. Why doesn't Pallura have candle wax with him in "The Idolaters"?
7. Why is progress on the fountain in "The Fountain of Pietrarsa" continually stalled?
8. What role does the statue of San Pantaleone play in the lives of the townspeople in "The Idolaters"?
9. In "The Idolaters," why are the townspeople so eager for Pallura to arrive?
10. Why is the town of Pietrarsa building a fountain in "The Fountain of Pietrarsa"?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)