|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Nunzia describe the Countess?
(a) As a wonderful woman.
(b) As a boring woman.
(c) As a hateful woman.
(d) As a nagging woman.
2. How does the narrator of "The Fountain of Pietrarsa" treat the engineer of Pietrarsa?
(a) He ignores him.
(b) He praises him.
(c) He insults him.
(d) He teases him.
3. What does Giacobbe discover about Pallura?
(a) He is missing.
(b) He melted all the candle wax.
(c) He is unconscious.
(d) He is covered in blood.
4. Who gathers around the mayor of Pietrarsa's house in "The Fountain of Pietrarsa"?
5. When does the stock man open the train door in "Broken Toys"?
(a) When they depart.
(b) When they come to a stop.
(c) When they cross a bridge.
(d) When they go in a tunnel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Giacobbe at the end of "The Idolaters"?
2. What meetings are held in "The Fountain of Pietrarsa" to try to resolve the problems with the fountain?
3. Why doesn't Cesara Reis work as a tutor for Mr. Migri?
4. In "The Fountain of Pietrarsa," where is the fountain going to be built?
5. What is Cesara Reis doing when Professor Gori goes into her apartment?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the townspeople react to the red lights in the sky in "The Idolaters"?
2. How does Nunzia initially feel about the Marquis?
3. Why does the engineer in "The Fountain of Pietrarsa" agree to take the narrator's bet?
4. What is the problem with Professor Gori's frock-coat?
5. In "Broken Toys," what happens after the stocky man opens the train's door?
6. What happens after Nunzia invites the Marquis over for dinner?
7. Why do the townspeople of Pietrarsa gather outside the mayor's house in "The Fountain of Pietrarsa"?
8. In "The Fountain of Pietrarsa," how does the engineer feel at the end of the story?
9. Why is progress on the fountain in "The Fountain of Pietrarsa" continually stalled?
10. Why does Professor Gori want Cesara Reis to go on with her wedding as planned?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)