|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the mayor of Pietrarsa first react to the people who resist the fountain?
(a) He has them arrested.
(b) He ignores them.
(c) He immediately gives in to them.
(d) He tries to convince them he is right.
2. When does the stocky man in "Broken Toys" say he moved?
(a) He has never moved.
(b) Just the past year.
(c) When he was young.
(d) After he was married.
3. Where are most of the people from on the train in "Broken Toys"?
(a) Northern Italy.
(b) Southern Italy.
4. How does the wedding party respond when Professor Gori says Cesara Reis's wedding will go as planned?
(a) They ignore him.
(b) They clap and cheer.
(c) They don't believe him.
(d) They are outraged.
5. How does Bistino remember the Marquis treating him in the past?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the engineer of Pietrarsa respond to the narrator's bet?
2. Why is the rail line cut off on "Broken Toys"?
3. How do the people of Radusa respond to the red lights in the sky in "The Idolaters"?
4. Where does the narrator of "The Fountain of Pietrarsa" run into an engineer of Pietrarsa?
5. What meetings are held in "The Fountain of Pietrarsa" to try to resolve the problems with the fountain?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Fountain of Pietrarsa," how does the engineer feel at the end of the story?
2. How does the stocky man in "Broken Toys" judge the Southern Italians?
3. What role does the statue of San Pantaleone play in the lives of the townspeople in "The Idolaters"?
4. How do the townspeople react to the red lights in the sky in "The Idolaters"?
5. In "Broken Toys," what happens after the stocky man opens the train's door?
6. How do the people on the train act in "Broken Toys"?
7. How does Professor Gori realize Cesara Reis's wedding has been postponed?
8. What is Cesara Reis's wedding like?
9. In "The Idolaters," why are the townspeople so eager for Pallura to arrive?
10. How does the wedding party react to the news that Cesara Reis's wedding has been postponed?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)