|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the woman with the toys ask the stock man in "Broken Toys"?
(a) Questions about his personal life.
(b) Questions about school.
(c) Questions about geography.
(d) Questions about children.
2. What is the woman with the toys looking for on the train in "Broken Toys"?
(a) Her husband.
(b) Her son.
(c) Her seat partner.
(d) Something to eat.
3. In "The Idolaters," how do people know that Pallura has arrived?
(a) They hear the bells on his wagon.
(b) They can see him driving his wagon in the distance.
(c) They hear him singing.
(d) The town crier announces it.
4. Why does the engineer in "The Fountain of Pietrarsa" avoid the narrator?
(a) Because he kissed his wife.
(b) Because he is embarrassed.
(c) Because he owes him money.
(d) Because he hates him.
5. Why is Cesara Reis's wedding canceled?
(a) He brother died.
(b) Her sister died.
(c) Her mother died.
(d) Her father died.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Giacobbe suggest happened to Pallura's candles?
2. How does the mayor of Pietrarsa first react to the people who resist the fountain?
3. Why do some people in "The Fountain of Pietrarsa" want the fountain moved?
4. From what does Pietrarsa suffer while waiting for the fountain to be built?
5. Why does the mayor of Pietrarsa finally agree to move the fountain?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Cesara Reis's wedding like?
2. Why doesn't Pallura have candle wax with him in "The Idolaters"?
3. What role does Professor Gori play in Cesara Reis's engagement?
4. Why does Professor Gori want Cesara Reis to go on with her wedding as planned?
5. In "Broken Toys," what happens after the stocky man opens the train's door?
6. How does the wedding party react to the news that Cesara Reis's wedding has been postponed?
7. How does the stocky man in "Broken Toys" judge the Southern Italians?
8. In "The Fountain of Pietrarsa," how does the engineer feel at the end of the story?
9. What is the problem with Professor Gori's frock-coat?
10. What happens to the statue of San Pantaleone at the end of "The Idolaters"?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)