|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do some people in "The Fountain of Pietrarsa" want the fountain moved?
(a) They think it will block traffic.
(b) They want it in a more central location.
(c) They think it is ugly and want it far away.
(d) They want the chance to vote on it.
2. How does Nunzia try to raise her social status?
(a) By using the Marquis' title.
(b) By bribing the Countess.
(c) By using the Marquis' money.
(d) By robbing the Countess.
3. Why does the mayor of Pietrarsa finally agree to move the fountain?
(a) He lets them vote on it.
(b) The engineer talks the mayor into it.
(c) He knows the people won't change their minds.
(d) He gets paid to have the fountain moved.
4. In "The Fountain of Pietrarsa," what happens while the fountain's construction is halted?
(a) They lose water from the river.
(b) They lose funding from the government.
(c) The construction workers lose their jobs.
(d) The people begin to think the city is ugly.
5. Why doesn't Giacobbe go through with his plan in the Mascalico church?
(a) An elderly Mascalico woman talks to him.
(b) He hears the voice of God.
(c) His group abandons him.
(d) Mascalico residents stop him.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the woman with the toys feel about the stocky man opening the door in "Broken Toys"?
2. How does the engineer of Pietrarsa respond to the narrator's bet?
3. When does the stocky man in "Broken Toys" say he moved?
4. Why does Mr. Migri leave town after the wedding is postponed?
5. Why doesn't Cesara Reis work as a tutor for Mr. Migri?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Pallura have candle wax with him in "The Idolaters"?
2. What role does the statue of San Pantaleone play in the lives of the townspeople in "The Idolaters"?
3. Why does Professor Gori want Cesara Reis to go on with her wedding as planned?
4. Why do the townspeople of Pietrarsa gather outside the mayor's house in "The Fountain of Pietrarsa"?
5. How do the people on the train act in "Broken Toys"?
6. What happens after Nunzia invites the Marquis over for dinner?
7. In "The Fountain of Pietrarsa," how does the engineer feel at the end of the story?
8. In "The Idolaters," why are the townspeople so eager for Pallura to arrive?
9. What happens to the statue of San Pantaleone at the end of "The Idolaters"?
10. Why is progress on the fountain in "The Fountain of Pietrarsa" continually stalled?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)