|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Giacobbe at the end of "The Idolaters"?
(a) He returns home.
(b) He rediscovers his religion.
(c) He is killed.
(d) He is taken captive.
2. When the narrator of "The Fountain of Pietrarsa" meets the engineer, what work has been done to the fountain?
(a) It has been installed.
(b) It has only been planned.
(c) It is in the process of being designed.
(d) It hasn't been started yet.
3. How does Mr. Migri's mother feel about the wedding being postponed?
(a) She is worried.
(b) She doesn't care.
(c) She is upset.
(d) She is pleased.
4. How does Giacobbe get inside the church in Mascalico?
(a) He uses a key.
(b) He uses a side door.
(c) He breaks down the front door.
(d) He climbs through a window.
5. In "The Fountain of Pietrarsa," what happens while the fountain's construction is halted?
(a) They lose funding from the government.
(b) The people begin to think the city is ugly.
(c) The construction workers lose their jobs.
(d) They lose water from the river.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Bistino initially upset when the Marquis moves in?
2. How does Mr. Migri propose to Cesara Reis?
3. How is Bistino related to the Marquis?
4. How do the other townspeople react the Giacobbe's theory of what happened to Pallura's candles?
5. Why is the rail line cut off on "Broken Toys"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the woman with the toys reveal about herself when she asks questions in "Broken Toys"?
2. Why is the town of Pietrarsa building a fountain in "The Fountain of Pietrarsa"?
3. In "The Fountain of Pietrarsa," how does the engineer feel at the end of the story?
4. What is the problem with Professor Gori's frock-coat?
5. What is Giacobbe's plan for his visit to Mascalico?
6. Why doesn't Pallura have candle wax with him in "The Idolaters"?
7. What role does the statue of San Pantaleone play in the lives of the townspeople in "The Idolaters"?
8. What happens when the narrator runs into the engineer in "The Fountain of Pietrarsa"?
9. Why does the engineer in "The Fountain of Pietrarsa" agree to take the narrator's bet?
10. Why is progress on the fountain in "The Fountain of Pietrarsa" continually stalled?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)