|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what genre did Fogazzaro write first?
(d) Short stories.
2. What causes Ranocchio to start coughing up blood?
(a) He swallows something sharp.
(b) Malpelo shakes him.
(c) Malpelo hits him on the back.
(d) He falls in the mines.
3. What is Belfagor given before he goes to earth in the form of a man?
(a) Clear directions.
(c) Good wishes.
4. Why is Malpelo willing to do dangerous tasks in the mines?
(a) He gets paid more money to do them.
(b) He always stands up to a challenge.
(c) He doesn't want to lose his job.
(d) He feels he doesn't have a family.
5. What lesson does Malpelo try to show Ranocchio about working in the mines?
(a) That he has to hide his money.
(b) That he has to be a fighter.
(c) That he has to work the hardest.
(d) That he has to be fast.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Gianmatteo get Belfagor to leave the king's daughter's body and return to hell?
2. Why can't Belfagor leave town?
3. How many stories are in "The Decameron"?
4. How does Malpelo feel when he visits Ranocchio and sees his mother crying?
5. Why does Calandrino want a helitropia stone?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the rulers of Hell learn about the holy man's vision in "Story of the Devil Who Took a Wife"?
2. What does Malpelo's name mean?
3. Why does the king seek out Gianmatteo?
4. How do Bruno and Buffalmaco convince Calandrino to wait a few days before looking for the helitropia stone?
5. Why does Belfagor run away from his wife on earth?
6. What does Calandrino believe ruined his magic?
7. What does Maso tell Calandrino about the helitropia stone?
8. How does Maso help to set up Calandrino in "Eighth Day, Third Story"?
9. How does Monsignor Filiberto finally get a kiss from Madonna Zilia?
10. What does Torranza's letter marked "urgent" say?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)