|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Professor Gori decide to "stand up for" Cesara Reis after her wedding is postponed?
(a) He still wants her to have her wedding.
(b) He wants to protect her reputation.
(c) He doesn't want anyone to tease her.
(d) He wants her to be able to mourn in peace.
2. When the narrator of "The Fountain of Pietrarsa" meets the engineer, what work has been done to the fountain?
(a) It has been installed.
(b) It is in the process of being designed.
(c) It has only been planned.
(d) It hasn't been started yet.
3. What was the goal of literary "Futurists"?
(a) To write about the future.
(b) To start over new.
(c) To discuss the past.
(d) To create a new type of literature.
4. What do the townspeople take with them when they go to Mascalico with Pallura?
(a) The San Pantaleone statue.
(b) The priest.
(c) Their old candles.
(d) Large sticks.
5. How does Giacobbe react to the red lights in the sky?
(a) He says it a sign of the judgment day.
(b) He says that the devil has risen.
(c) He says it's a warning about the town's finances.
(d) He says everyone needs to go to church.
6. Where are most of the people from on the train in "Broken Toys"?
(a) Southern Italy.
(b) Northern Italy.
7. What award did Luigi Pirandello win in 1934?
(a) Pulitzer Prize.
(b) Nobel Prize.
(c) An Oscar.
(d) Man Booker Prize.
8. Why does the mayor of Pietrarsa finally agree to move the fountain?
(a) He gets paid to have the fountain moved.
(b) He lets them vote on it.
(c) The engineer talks the mayor into it.
(d) He knows the people won't change their minds.
9. Who thinks Cesara Reis and Mr. Migri should reconsider their engagement?
(a) Cesara Reis's father.
(b) Mr. Migri's mother.
(c) Professor Gogi.
(d) Mr. Migri.
10. In "The Idolaters," what are the red lights in the sky?
(a) No one knows.
(b) The northern lights.
(c) Something from space.
(d) Another town's warning signal.
11. How does the Marquis treat Nunzia when he moves in?
(c) Like a servant.
(d) He ignores her.
12. Why does the engineer in "The Fountain of Pietrarsa" avoid the narrator?
(a) Because he kissed his wife.
(b) Because he owes him money.
(c) Because he is embarrassed.
(d) Because he hates him.
13. How does the woman with the toys feel about the stocky man opening the door in "Broken Toys"?
14. What is the woman with the toys looking for on the train in "Broken Toys"?
(a) Something to eat.
(b) Her husband.
(c) Her seat partner.
(d) Her son.
15. In "Broken Toys," where are the people traveling from?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Cesara Reis doing when Professor Gori goes into her apartment?
2. Why are people arguing on the train in "Broken Toys"?
3. How do the people of Radusa respond to the red lights in the sky in "The Idolaters"?
4. How does the stocky man in "Broken Toys" describe the other people on the train?
5. How does Nunzia try to raise her social status?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)