|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the engineer in "The Fountain of Pietrarsa" avoid the narrator?
(a) Because he is embarrassed.
(b) Because he kissed his wife.
(c) Because he owes him money.
(d) Because he hates him.
2. What do the townspeople do when they go to Mascalico in "The Idolaters"?
(a) They destroy their church.
(b) They slaughter people.
(c) They rob people.
(d) They smack people.
3. Who offers to repair the tear in Professor Gori's frock-coat?
(a) His daughter.
(b) His neighbor.
(c) The clerk.
(d) His housemaid.
4. Why do some people in "The Fountain of Pietrarsa" want the fountain moved?
(a) They think it is ugly and want it far away.
(b) They want the chance to vote on it.
(c) They want it in a more central location.
(d) They think it will block traffic.
5. How does the narrator of "The Fountain of Pietrarsa" treat the engineer of Pietrarsa?
(a) He ignores him.
(b) He praises him.
(c) He insults him.
(d) He teases him.
6. Why doesn't Professor Gori get his frock-coat repaired when it tears?
(a) He throws it away instead.
(b) He doesn't notice it at first.
(c) He has to go to a wedding.
(d) He doesn't want to spend the money.
7. In "The Fountain of Pietrarsa," what is wrong with the town's democratic system?
(a) It doesn't have term limits.
(b) There aren't enough people that vote.
(c) There isn't a leader.
(d) It stalls any progress trying to be made.
8. Why do the townspeople of Radusa consult Giacobbe about the red lights?
(a) He offers his help for free.
(b) They think he used to be a holy man.
(c) The mayor suggests him for the job.
(d) They know he is a scientist.
9. Why doesn't Giacobbe go through with his plan in the Mascalico church?
(a) Mascalico residents stop him.
(b) His group abandons him.
(c) He hears the voice of God.
(d) An elderly Mascalico woman talks to him.
10. How does the stocky man in "Broken Toys" describe the other people on the train?
11. What does Giacobbe discover about Pallura?
(a) He is unconscious.
(b) He melted all the candle wax.
(c) He is covered in blood.
(d) He is missing.
12. How does Bistino feel about the Countess?
(a) He thinks she nags.
(b) He thinks she is a fake.
(c) He thinks she is boring.
(d) He thinks she is cruel.
13. In "The Fountain of Pietrarsa," what happens while the fountain's construction is halted?
(a) The construction workers lose their jobs.
(b) They lose water from the river.
(c) The people begin to think the city is ugly.
(d) They lose funding from the government.
14. How does Bistino remember the Marquis treating him in the past?
15. When does the fabric on Professor Gori's frock-coat tear?
(a) As soon as the clerk leaves his house.
(b) Before he purchases it.
(c) The day before he returns to work.
(d) A week after he purchases it.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the other townspeople react the Giacobbe's theory of what happened to Pallura's candles?
2. What does the woman with the toys ask the stock man in "Broken Toys"?
3. How does Nunzia describe the Countess?
4. How does Professor Gori feel about trying on frock-coats?
5. What is Cesara Reis doing when Professor Gori goes into her apartment?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)