|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When is a new express train line built in "Broken Toys"?
(a) After Italy is liberated.
(b) In 1960.
(c) Once the old line is sold.
(d) When Germany lends Italy money.
2. Why does Professor Gori decide to "stand up for" Cesara Reis after her wedding is postponed?
(a) He doesn't want anyone to tease her.
(b) He wants her to be able to mourn in peace.
(c) He still wants her to have her wedding.
(d) He wants to protect her reputation.
3. Why is Cesara Reis's wedding canceled?
(a) Her sister died.
(b) Her mother died.
(c) Her father died.
(d) He brother died.
4. Why does Professor Gori find the groom's brother when he hears the wedding has been canceled?
(a) He wants to know the groom's name.
(b) He wants to take them out to lunch.
(c) He wants to know when the wedding with take place.
(d) He wants to know how to console the bride.
5. What do the townspeople take with them when they go to Mascalico with Pallura?
(a) Large sticks.
(b) The San Pantaleone statue.
(c) Their old candles.
(d) The priest.
6. What role does Professor Gori play in Cesara Reis's marriage?
(a) He introduces her to the groom.
(b) He pays for the wedding.
(c) He performs the wedding.
(d) He plans the wedding.
7. How does Nunzia describe the Countess?
(a) As a hateful woman.
(b) As a wonderful woman.
(c) As a boring woman.
(d) As a nagging woman.
8. How does the Marquis treat Nunzia when he moves in?
(a) He ignores her.
(b) Like a servant.
9. How does Nunzia try to raise her social status?
(a) By using the Marquis' title.
(b) By bribing the Countess.
(c) By robbing the Countess.
(d) By using the Marquis' money.
10. How does the wedding party respond when Professor Gori says Cesara Reis's wedding will go as planned?
(a) They are outraged.
(b) They ignore him.
(c) They don't believe him.
(d) They clap and cheer.
11. How does the narrator of "The Fountain of Pietrarsa" treat the engineer of Pietrarsa?
(a) He ignores him.
(b) He praises him.
(c) He teases him.
(d) He insults him.
12. Why doesn't Giacobbe go through with his plan in the Mascalico church?
(a) Mascalico residents stop him.
(b) An elderly Mascalico woman talks to him.
(c) His group abandons him.
(d) He hears the voice of God.
13. In "The Fountain of Pietrarsa," what happens while the fountain's construction is halted?
(a) They lose water from the river.
(b) The construction workers lose their jobs.
(c) They lose funding from the government.
(d) The people begin to think the city is ugly.
14. What happens every time a plan is made for the fountain in "The Fountain of Pietrarsa"?
(a) The mayor turns it down.
(b) A group of people challenge it.
(c) The engineer says it is impossible.
(d) There is no one to do the work.
15. Why is the rail line cut off on "Broken Toys"?
(a) Because it was stolen.
(b) Because no one uses it anymore.
(c) Because of the war.
(d) Because it was never completed.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Idolaters," what are the red lights in the sky?
2. What is the woman with the toys looking for on the train in "Broken Toys"?
3. Why does Professor Gori think he missed Cesara Reis's wedding?
4. Why does the engineer in "The Fountain of Pietrarsa" avoid the narrator?
5. How does Giacobbe react to the red lights in the sky?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)