|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the townspeople take with them when they go to Mascalico with Pallura?
(a) Large sticks.
(b) The San Pantaleone statue.
(c) The priest.
(d) Their old candles.
2. Why does the Marquis move in with the Countess?
(a) Because he is kicked out of his house.
(b) Because Nunzia asks him to.
(c) Because he begs her to let him.
(d) Because he begins eating there daily.
3. According to Nunzia, how did the Marquis lose his money?
(a) He did it himself.
(b) His parents took it back.
(c) His wife spent it all.
(d) He was robbed.
4. Why does Professor Gori think he missed Cesara Reis's wedding?
(a) He saw her getting into a car.
(b) He was late trying to fix his coat.
(c) All the people are standing outside.
(d) He doesn't know what time it starts.
5. What does Giacobbe suggest happened to Pallura's candles?
(a) There never were any candles.
(b) They melted.
(c) He sold them to someone else.
(d) They were stolen.
6. How does the narrator of "The Fountain of Pietrarsa" treat the engineer of Pietrarsa?
(a) He ignores him.
(b) He teases him.
(c) He insults him.
(d) He praises him.
7. How does Giacobbe get inside the church in Mascalico?
(a) He uses a side door.
(b) He uses a key.
(c) He climbs through a window.
(d) He breaks down the front door.
8. What does the woman with the toys ask the stock man in "Broken Toys"?
(a) Questions about school.
(b) Questions about geography.
(c) Questions about his personal life.
(d) Questions about children.
9. In "The Idolaters," how do people know that Pallura has arrived?
(a) They hear him singing.
(b) They can see him driving his wagon in the distance.
(c) The town crier announces it.
(d) They hear the bells on his wagon.
10. In "Broken Toys," where are the people traveling from?
11. When is a new express train line built in "Broken Toys"?
(a) When Germany lends Italy money.
(b) After Italy is liberated.
(c) In 1960.
(d) Once the old line is sold.
12. What do Giacobbe and his men want to do in the church in Mascalico?
(a) Replace their statue.
(b) Steal the candles.
(d) Destroy the church.
13. Why do the townspeople rush to greet Pallura?
(a) They want his candle wax.
(b) He is the richest person in town.
(c) They think he has news about the lights.
(d) He always brings gifts for the children.
14. Why is Cesara Reis's wedding canceled?
(a) Her mother died.
(b) Her father died.
(c) He brother died.
(d) Her sister died.
15. What role does Professor Gori play in Cesara Reis's marriage?
(a) He performs the wedding.
(b) He introduces her to the groom.
(c) He pays for the wedding.
(d) He plans the wedding.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the townspeople do when they go to Mascalico in "The Idolaters"?
2. How does the engineer of Pietrarsa respond to the narrator's bet?
3. How does Mr. Migri propose to Cesara Reis?
4. How does the wedding party respond when Professor Gori says Cesara Reis's wedding will go as planned?
5. Why is Bistino initially upset when the Marquis moves in?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)