|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the mayor of Pietrarsa first react to the people who resist the fountain?
(a) He ignores them.
(b) He tries to convince them he is right.
(c) He has them arrested.
(d) He immediately gives in to them.
2. Who gathers around the mayor of Pietrarsa's house in "The Fountain of Pietrarsa"?
3. In "The Idolaters," how do people know that Pallura has arrived?
(a) They hear the bells on his wagon.
(b) They can see him driving his wagon in the distance.
(c) The town crier announces it.
(d) They hear him singing.
4. How does the wedding party respond when Professor Gori says Cesara Reis's wedding will go as planned?
(a) They are outraged.
(b) They ignore him.
(c) They don't believe him.
(d) They clap and cheer.
5. Why does the engineer in "The Fountain of Pietrarsa" avoid the narrator?
(a) Because he is embarrassed.
(b) Because he kissed his wife.
(c) Because he hates him.
(d) Because he owes him money.
6. According to Nunzia, how did the Marquis lose his money?
(a) He was robbed.
(b) His wife spent it all.
(c) He did it himself.
(d) His parents took it back.
7. What meetings are held in "The Fountain of Pietrarsa" to try to resolve the problems with the fountain?
(a) Town hall meetings.
(b) Official mayor meetings.
(c) Court meetings.
(d) Council meetings.
8. In "Broken Toys," where are the people traveling from?
9. What does the woman with the toys ask the stock man in "Broken Toys"?
(a) Questions about his personal life.
(b) Questions about school.
(c) Questions about geography.
(d) Questions about children.
10. How does Nunzia try to raise her social status?
(a) By bribing the Countess.
(b) By robbing the Countess.
(c) By using the Marquis' title.
(d) By using the Marquis' money.
11. What is Cesara Reis doing when Professor Gori goes into her apartment?
12. Why doesn't Giacobbe go through with his plan in the Mascalico church?
(a) Mascalico residents stop him.
(b) His group abandons him.
(c) He hears the voice of God.
(d) An elderly Mascalico woman talks to him.
13. How does the engineer of Pietrarsa respond to the narrator's bet?
(a) He thinks he is a fool.
(b) He changes the time frame to two years.
(c) He is worried he is right.
(d) He refuses to take the bet.
14. When does the fabric on Professor Gori's frock-coat tear?
(a) The day before he returns to work.
(b) A week after he purchases it.
(c) Before he purchases it.
(d) As soon as the clerk leaves his house.
15. Where does the Marquis live?
(a) In a country manor.
(b) On a farm.
(c) In a mansion.
(d) In a hotel.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Fountain of Pietrarsa," what happens while the fountain's construction is halted?
2. What does Professor Gori do after he tells the wedding party the wedding will go as planned?
3. What does Giacobbe suggest happened to Pallura's candles?
4. What do the townspeople take with them when they go to Mascalico with Pallura?
5. What does the narrator of "The Fountain of Pietrarsa" feel is wasted in the town?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)