|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Cesara Reis doing when Professor Gori goes into her apartment?
2. In "Broken Toys," how does the stocky man feel about the woman with the questions about toys?
(a) He thinks she is ignorant.
(b) He thinks she is nosy.
(c) He thinks she is boring.
(d) He thinks she is beautiful.
3. How does Professor Gori feel about trying on frock-coats?
(a) It frustrates him.
(b) It upsets him.
(c) He thinks nothing of it.
(d) It pleases him.
4. Why does the engineer in "The Fountain of Pietrarsa" avoid the narrator?
(a) Because he hates him.
(b) Because he owes him money.
(c) Because he kissed his wife.
(d) Because he is embarrassed.
5. Why does Pallura bring candle wax with him in "The Idolaters"?
(a) Candles could help stop the red lights.
(b) He is a wax dealer.
(c) He developed a new type of wax.
(d) The church is out of candles.
6. Where does the Marquis live?
(a) On a farm.
(b) In a hotel.
(c) In a country manor.
(d) In a mansion.
7. What happens every time a plan is made for the fountain in "The Fountain of Pietrarsa"?
(a) A group of people challenge it.
(b) The mayor turns it down.
(c) The engineer says it is impossible.
(d) There is no one to do the work.
8. What does the narrator of "The Fountain of Pietrarsa" bet the engineer?
(a) That in a year the fountain will be ripped out.
(b) That in a year the engineer will lose his job.
(c) That in a year the fountain won't be designed.
(d) That in a year the fountain won't be installed.
9. In "The Idolaters," how do people know that Pallura has arrived?
(a) They hear the bells on his wagon.
(b) They hear him singing.
(c) The town crier announces it.
(d) They can see him driving his wagon in the distance.
10. How does the wedding party respond when Professor Gori says Cesara Reis's wedding will go as planned?
(a) They ignore him.
(b) They are outraged.
(c) They clap and cheer.
(d) They don't believe him.
11. What does Giacobbe discover about Pallura?
(a) He is missing.
(b) He is covered in blood.
(c) He is unconscious.
(d) He melted all the candle wax.
12. Why do some people in "The Fountain of Pietrarsa" want the fountain moved?
(a) They think it is ugly and want it far away.
(b) They want the chance to vote on it.
(c) They think it will block traffic.
(d) They want it in a more central location.
13. What does the narrator of "The Fountain of Pietrarsa" feel is wasted in the town?
(a) Common sense.
(b) Brain power.
(c) Natural resources.
(d) Human emotions.
14. In "Broken Toys," where are the people traveling from?
15. Where does the narrator of "The Fountain of Pietrarsa" run into an engineer of Pietrarsa?
(a) Near Pietrarsa.
(b) Pietrarsa's town center.
(c) Outside of Paris.
(d) In Florence.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Giacobbe react to the red lights in the sky?
2. How is Bistino related to the Marquis?
3. Who gathers around the mayor of Pietrarsa's house in "The Fountain of Pietrarsa"?
4. In "The Fountain of Pietrarsa," what is wrong with the town's democratic system?
5. Why are people arguing on the train in "Broken Toys"?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)