|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the townspeople do when they go to Mascalico in "The Idolaters"?
(a) They rob people.
(b) They smack people.
(c) They destroy their church.
(d) They slaughter people.
2. What is the woman with the toys looking for on the train in "Broken Toys"?
(a) Something to eat.
(b) Her seat partner.
(c) Her husband.
(d) Her son.
3. Why are people arguing on the train in "Broken Toys"?
(a) They are arguing about the noise.
(b) They are arguing over seats.
(c) They are arguing about the service.
(d) They are arguing over the cost of tickets.
4. How does Giacobbe want the people of Mascalico to feel after his visit to their church?
5. What do the townspeople take with them when they go to Mascalico with Pallura?
(a) The San Pantaleone statue.
(b) Large sticks.
(c) The priest.
(d) Their old candles.
6. How does Nunzia describe the Countess?
(a) As a wonderful woman.
(b) As a hateful woman.
(c) As a boring woman.
(d) As a nagging woman.
7. How does Bistino feel about the Countess?
(a) He thinks she is cruel.
(b) He thinks she is a fake.
(c) He thinks she nags.
(d) He thinks she is boring.
8. How does Giacobbe react to the red lights in the sky?
(a) He says that the devil has risen.
(b) He says it's a warning about the town's finances.
(c) He says it a sign of the judgment day.
(d) He says everyone needs to go to church.
9. Why does the mayor of Pietrarsa finally agree to move the fountain?
(a) The engineer talks the mayor into it.
(b) He gets paid to have the fountain moved.
(c) He lets them vote on it.
(d) He knows the people won't change their minds.
10. Why does Mr. Migri leave town after the wedding is postponed?
(a) He doesn't want to get married anymore.
(b) For vacation.
(c) Cesara Reis tells him to go.
(d) For business.
11. How does the narrator of "The Fountain of Pietrarsa" treat the engineer of Pietrarsa?
(a) He ignores him.
(b) He teases him.
(c) He insults him.
(d) He praises him.
12. Where are most of the people from on the train in "Broken Toys"?
(a) Southern Italy.
(d) Northern Italy.
13. How does the engineer of Pietrarsa respond to the narrator's bet?
(a) He changes the time frame to two years.
(b) He thinks he is a fool.
(c) He refuses to take the bet.
(d) He is worried he is right.
14. What does the narrator of "The Fountain of Pietrarsa" feel is wasted in the town?
(a) Natural resources.
(b) Common sense.
(c) Human emotions.
(d) Brain power.
15. Why do the townspeople rush to greet Pallura?
(a) He is the richest person in town.
(b) He always brings gifts for the children.
(c) They think he has news about the lights.
(d) They want his candle wax.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Giacobbe go through with his plan in the Mascalico church?
2. What does Giacobbe discover about Pallura?
3. What does Professor Gori do after he tells the wedding party the wedding will go as planned?
4. What do the people gathered around the mayor of Pietrarsa's house do?
5. How does the mayor of Pietrarsa first react to the people who resist the fountain?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)