|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Nunzia describe the Countess?
(a) As a boring woman.
(b) As a hateful woman.
(c) As a wonderful woman.
(d) As a nagging woman.
2. What does the narrator of "The Fountain of Pietrarsa" feel is wasted in the town?
(a) Common sense.
(b) Brain power.
(c) Natural resources.
(d) Human emotions.
3. How do the people of Radusa respond to the red lights in the sky in "The Idolaters"?
(a) They are confused.
(b) They don't even notice them.
(c) They think they are pretty.
(d) They are terrified.
4. How does Nunzia try to raise her social status?
(a) By bribing the Countess.
(b) By robbing the Countess.
(c) By using the Marquis' money.
(d) By using the Marquis' title.
5. How does the wedding party respond when Professor Gori says Cesara Reis's wedding will go as planned?
(a) They don't believe him.
(b) They clap and cheer.
(c) They are outraged.
(d) They ignore him.
6. How do the other townspeople react the Giacobbe's theory of what happened to Pallura's candles?
(a) They are understanding.
(b) They agree with him.
(c) They are angered by it.
(d) They ignore him.
7. How does the engineer of Pietrarsa respond to the narrator's bet?
(a) He is worried he is right.
(b) He changes the time frame to two years.
(c) He thinks he is a fool.
(d) He refuses to take the bet.
8. Why doesn't Professor Gori get his frock-coat repaired when it tears?
(a) He throws it away instead.
(b) He doesn't want to spend the money.
(c) He doesn't notice it at first.
(d) He has to go to a wedding.
9. In "The Fountain of Pietrarsa," what is wrong with the town's democratic system?
(a) There aren't enough people that vote.
(b) There isn't a leader.
(c) It doesn't have term limits.
(d) It stalls any progress trying to be made.
10. Why does Mr. Migri leave town after the wedding is postponed?
(a) Cesara Reis tells him to go.
(b) He doesn't want to get married anymore.
(c) For business.
(d) For vacation.
11. What does the priest in "The Idolaters" do with the statuesof San Pantaleone?
(a) Tries to pray to it.
(b) Tries to use it to ward off evil.
(c) Tries to hide it.
(d) Tries to use it to scare people away.
12. When does the stocky man in "Broken Toys" say he moved?
(a) Just the past year.
(b) When he was young.
(c) He has never moved.
(d) After he was married.
13. Who offers to repair the tear in Professor Gori's frock-coat?
(a) The clerk.
(b) His daughter.
(c) His neighbor.
(d) His housemaid.
14. Why is Bistino initially upset when the Marquis moves in?
(a) Because the Marquis treats him like a servant.
(b) Because the Marquis has grown angry.
(c) Because the Marquis slept late every day.
(d) Because the Marquis doesn't treat him like a servant.
15. Why does Professor Gori decide to "stand up for" Cesara Reis after her wedding is postponed?
(a) He wants her to be able to mourn in peace.
(b) He still wants her to have her wedding.
(c) He wants to protect her reputation.
(d) He doesn't want anyone to tease her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the woman with the toys ask the stock man in "Broken Toys"?
2. How does Giacobbe react to the red lights in the sky?
3. Where does the narrator of "The Fountain of Pietrarsa" run into an engineer of Pietrarsa?
4. In "The Idolaters," how do people know that Pallura has arrived?
5. In "The Idolaters," what are the red lights in the sky?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)