|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Giacobbe want the people of Mascalico to feel after his visit to their church?
2. How does the engineer of Pietrarsa respond to the narrator's bet?
(a) He thinks he is a fool.
(b) He changes the time frame to two years.
(c) He refuses to take the bet.
(d) He is worried he is right.
3. Why does Mr. Migri leave town after the wedding is postponed?
(a) Cesara Reis tells him to go.
(b) For business.
(c) For vacation.
(d) He doesn't want to get married anymore.
4. Why does the engineer in "The Fountain of Pietrarsa" avoid the narrator?
(a) Because he hates him.
(b) Because he kissed his wife.
(c) Because he is embarrassed.
(d) Because he owes him money.
5. Why does the mayor of Pietrarsa finally agree to move the fountain?
(a) He lets them vote on it.
(b) He knows the people won't change their minds.
(c) He gets paid to have the fountain moved.
(d) The engineer talks the mayor into it.
6. Why doesn't Professor Gori get his frock-coat repaired when it tears?
(a) He doesn't want to spend the money.
(b) He has to go to a wedding.
(c) He doesn't notice it at first.
(d) He throws it away instead.
7. What meetings are held in "The Fountain of Pietrarsa" to try to resolve the problems with the fountain?
(a) Town hall meetings.
(b) Council meetings.
(c) Official mayor meetings.
(d) Court meetings.
8. How does Nunzia describe the Marquis?
(a) A wicked fool.
(b) A rich idiot.
(c) An immoral slob.
(d) An absurd poet.
9. Why does Professor Gori think he missed Cesara Reis's wedding?
(a) He saw her getting into a car.
(b) He was late trying to fix his coat.
(c) All the people are standing outside.
(d) He doesn't know what time it starts.
10. How does Bistino remember the Marquis treating him in the past?
11. How does the stocky man in "Broken Toys" describe the other people on the train?
12. How is Bistino related to the Marquis?
(a) They used to work together.
(b) He used to work for him.
(c) They are cousins.
(d) The Marquis owes him money.
13. How does Bistino feel about the Countess?
(a) He thinks she is cruel.
(b) He thinks she is a fake.
(c) He thinks she nags.
(d) He thinks she is boring.
14. In "The Fountain of Pietrarsa," where is the fountain going to be built?
(a) On the east side of town.
(b) Outside the mayor's house.
(c) In the town center.
(d) By the rich people.
15. How does the Marquis treat Nunzia when he moves in?
(b) Like a servant.
(d) He ignores her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are people arguing on the train in "Broken Toys"?
2. When does the stock man open the train door in "Broken Toys"?
3. Where does the narrator of "The Fountain of Pietrarsa" run into an engineer of Pietrarsa?
4. How does Nunzia describe the Countess?
5. Who thinks Cesara Reis and Mr. Migri should reconsider their engagement?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)