|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The Fountain of Pietrarsa," what happens while the fountain's construction is halted?
(a) They lose funding from the government.
(b) The people begin to think the city is ugly.
(c) They lose water from the river.
(d) The construction workers lose their jobs.
2. In "The Idolaters," how do people know that Pallura has arrived?
(a) They hear the bells on his wagon.
(b) They can see him driving his wagon in the distance.
(c) They hear him singing.
(d) The town crier announces it.
3. What do the townspeople do when they go to Mascalico in "The Idolaters"?
(a) They destroy their church.
(b) They rob people.
(c) They smack people.
(d) They slaughter people.
4. How do the other townspeople react the Giacobbe's theory of what happened to Pallura's candles?
(a) They are angered by it.
(b) They are understanding.
(c) They ignore him.
(d) They agree with him.
5. Who thinks Cesara Reis and Mr. Migri should reconsider their engagement?
(a) Mr. Migri's mother.
(b) Mr. Migri.
(c) Cesara Reis's father.
(d) Professor Gogi.
6. What does the priest in "The Idolaters" do with the statuesof San Pantaleone?
(a) Tries to hide it.
(b) Tries to use it to scare people away.
(c) Tries to pray to it.
(d) Tries to use it to ward off evil.
7. Why does Professor Gori find the groom's brother when he hears the wedding has been canceled?
(a) He wants to know how to console the bride.
(b) He wants to know the groom's name.
(c) He wants to know when the wedding with take place.
(d) He wants to take them out to lunch.
8. How does Mr. Migri's mother feel about the wedding being postponed?
(a) She doesn't care.
(b) She is worried.
(c) She is pleased.
(d) She is upset.
9. How does Giacobbe want the people of Mascalico to feel after his visit to their church?
10. What does the woman with the toys ask the stock man in "Broken Toys"?
(a) Questions about children.
(b) Questions about school.
(c) Questions about geography.
(d) Questions about his personal life.
11. From what does Pietrarsa suffer while waiting for the fountain to be built?
12. Why is Bistino initially upset when the Marquis moves in?
(a) Because the Marquis treats him like a servant.
(b) Because the Marquis doesn't treat him like a servant.
(c) Because the Marquis slept late every day.
(d) Because the Marquis has grown angry.
13. What happens to Giacobbe at the end of "The Idolaters"?
(a) He is taken captive.
(b) He returns home.
(c) He rediscovers his religion.
(d) He is killed.
14. What is Cesara Reis doing when Professor Gori goes into her apartment?
15. What does the narrator of "The Fountain of Pietrarsa" bet the engineer?
(a) That in a year the fountain won't be designed.
(b) That in a year the fountain will be ripped out.
(c) That in a year the fountain won't be installed.
(d) That in a year the engineer will lose his job.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator of "The Fountain of Pietrarsa" feel is wasted in the town?
2. What does Giacobbe discover about Pallura?
3. Why does the Marquis move in with the Countess?
4. Why does Pallura bring candle wax with him in "The Idolaters"?
5. Who offers to repair the tear in Professor Gori's frock-coat?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)