|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who gathers around the mayor of Pietrarsa's house in "The Fountain of Pietrarsa"?
2. Why doesn't Cesara Reis work as a tutor for Mr. Migri?
(a) She can't leave home for that long.
(b) She needs more money.
(c) She doesn't know enough.
(d) She doesn't like children.
3. In "Broken Toys," how does the stocky man feel about the woman with the questions about toys?
(a) He thinks she is ignorant.
(b) He thinks she is boring.
(c) He thinks she is beautiful.
(d) He thinks she is nosy.
4. Why doesn't Giacobbe go through with his plan in the Mascalico church?
(a) An elderly Mascalico woman talks to him.
(b) His group abandons him.
(c) Mascalico residents stop him.
(d) He hears the voice of God.
5. Why doesn't Professor Gori get his frock-coat repaired when it tears?
(a) He throws it away instead.
(b) He doesn't notice it at first.
(c) He has to go to a wedding.
(d) He doesn't want to spend the money.
6. How do the other townspeople react the Giacobbe's theory of what happened to Pallura's candles?
(a) They ignore him.
(b) They are angered by it.
(c) They are understanding.
(d) They agree with him.
7. When the narrator of "The Fountain of Pietrarsa" meets the engineer, what work has been done to the fountain?
(a) It is in the process of being designed.
(b) It has been installed.
(c) It has only been planned.
(d) It hasn't been started yet.
8. What role does Professor Gori play in Cesara Reis's marriage?
(a) He plans the wedding.
(b) He introduces her to the groom.
(c) He pays for the wedding.
(d) He performs the wedding.
9. How does the engineer of Pietrarsa respond to the narrator's bet?
(a) He changes the time frame to two years.
(b) He thinks he is a fool.
(c) He is worried he is right.
(d) He refuses to take the bet.
10. Why do the townspeople rush to greet Pallura?
(a) He always brings gifts for the children.
(b) They want his candle wax.
(c) He is the richest person in town.
(d) They think he has news about the lights.
11. When is a new express train line built in "Broken Toys"?
(a) When Germany lends Italy money.
(b) In 1960.
(c) Once the old line is sold.
(d) After Italy is liberated.
12. When does the stock man open the train door in "Broken Toys"?
(a) When they depart.
(b) When they go in a tunnel.
(c) When they come to a stop.
(d) When they cross a bridge.
13. In "The Fountain of Pietrarsa," what is wrong with the town's democratic system?
(a) It doesn't have term limits.
(b) There isn't a leader.
(c) It stalls any progress trying to be made.
(d) There aren't enough people that vote.
14. How does Mr. Migri's mother feel about the wedding being postponed?
(a) She is worried.
(b) She doesn't care.
(c) She is pleased.
(d) She is upset.
15. What is the woman with the toys looking for on the train in "Broken Toys"?
(a) Her seat partner.
(b) Something to eat.
(c) Her husband.
(d) Her son.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does the stocky man in "Broken Toys" say he moved?
2. How does the Marquis treat Nunzia when he moves in?
3. Why does Pallura bring candle wax with him in "The Idolaters"?
4. According to Nunzia, how did the Marquis lose his money?
5. In "The Idolaters," what are the red lights in the sky?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)