|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What lesson does Malpelo try to show Ranocchio about working in the mines?
(a) That he has to be a fighter.
(b) That he has to be fast.
(c) That he has to hide his money.
(d) That he has to work the hardest.
2. Why do Bruno and Buffalmaco like to play pranks on Calandrino?
(a) Because he is easy to fool.
(b) Because he overreacts.
(c) Because he's hard to trick.
(d) Because he does the same to them.
3. Where does Malpelo think is the most natural place for him to be?
(a) In trees.
(b) In a castle.
(c) At home.
4. What does Gianmatteo suggest the king have a large group of people play?
5. Why can't Belfagor leave town?
(a) Onesta's father finds him.
(b) He decides he doesn't want to leave.
(c) The other devils make him stay.
(d) His creditors are after him.
6. How does Bianca describe her feelings for Hermes Torranza?
(a) She likes him more than a friend.
(b) She does not like him at all.
(c) She loves him.
(d) She likes him as a friend.
7. When she visits Monsignor Filiberto, what does Madonna Zilia tell him that disappoints him?
(a) That she does not love him.
(b) That she can't stay long.
(c) That she is moving out of town.
(d) That she didn't even want to visit him.
8. What happens with the rocks Bruno and Buffalmaco throw?
(a) They break windows.
(b) They hit Calandrino.
(c) They land in the water.
(d) They land on them.
9. Even though the other miners hate Malpelo, why do they keep him around?
(a) They signed a contract with him.
(b) Out of respect for his father.
(c) Because he is a hard worker.
(d) His mother begged them.
10. Why does Belfagor do as Onesta says in their marriage?
(a) He fears she'll find out the truth.
(b) He is trying to trick her.
(c) Those were his directions.
(d) She has power over him.
11. What type of poetry does Professor Farsatti say Mount San Dona reminds him of?
12. At the end of "Eighth Day, Third Story," how does Calandrino feel about his wife?
(a) He decides to leave her.
(b) He ignores her.
(c) He is still angry at her.
(d) He makes up with her.
13. When Malpelo is accused by the other workers, how does Ranocchio react?
(a) He ignores the whole scene.
(b) He defends Malpelo.
(c) He accuses Malpelo too.
(d) He calls for the boss.
14. What does Gianmatteo own?
(a) A farm.
(b) A fabric store.
(d) A bank.
15. How much older is Hermes Torranza than Bianca?
(a) They are the same age.
(b) About 10 years.
(c) 5 years.
(d) Over 20 years.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bianca dislike about her husband, Emilio Squarcina?
2. How does Malpelo treat Ranocchio when he starts working at the mine?
3. Why does Onesta's family choose Belfagor to marry her?
4. What does Hermes Torranza write in letters to Bianca?
5. How does Malpelo's sister feel about him?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)