|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Malpelo feel when he visits Ranocchio and sees his mother crying?
(a) He doesn't understand it.
(b) He wants to talk about it.
(c) It scares him.
(d) It makes him cry, also.
2. Where does Ranocchio like to visit most?
(a) The town.
(b) The cliffs.
(c) The ravine.
(d) The meadow.
3. Why does Calandrino want a helitropia stone?
(a) To steal money.
(b) To build his house.
(c) To win a fight.
(d) To find a wife.
4. Why does Belfagor want to possess the daughter of a wealthy man?
(a) So he can get some of his money back.
(b) So he can get revenge.
(c) So Gianmatteo can control her.
(d) Because he is bored.
5. Where does Gianmatteo hide Belfagor?
(a) Inside a trash can.
(b) Under his house.
(c) Behind a rock.
(d) In a pile of manure.
6. What does Calandrino think his wife did when he walked through the door?
(a) Cancelled his magic.
(b) Told Bruno and Buffalmaco what happened.
(c) Smacked him.
(d) Lied to him.
7. What does Bianca do when her father criticizes Torranza?
(a) Fights back.
(b) Goes to her room.
(c) Asks to go to town.
(d) Stays silent.
8. What does Hermes Torranza write in letters to Bianca?
(a) He sends her recipes.
(b) He plans her future.
(c) He suggests books for her to read.
(d) He gives her advice.
9. How many stories are in "The Decameron"?
(a) One hundred.
10. What does Spoleto dress as to trick Madonna Zilia?
(a) A street vendor.
(b) A doctor.
(c) A priest.
(d) A teacher.
11. Why does the king of France change the award for helping Monsignor Filiberto speak?
(a) He isn't getting enough doctors.
(b) He wants to get Madonna Zilia to come to France.
(c) He thinks doctors are just trying to get money.
(d) He wants Filiberto to agree to the help.
12. Why does Belfagor tease Gianmatteo about the large group of people performing in front of the king?
(a) He says it will intimidate Gianmatteo.
(b) He says Gianmatteo is stupid.
(c) He says it won't work.
(d) He says he will sabotage the whole plan.
13. Even though the other miners hate Malpelo, why do they keep him around?
(a) They signed a contract with him.
(b) Because he is a hard worker.
(c) His mother begged them.
(d) Out of respect for his father.
14. What does Bianca dislike about her husband, Emilio Squarcina?
(a) His parents.
(b) His garden.
(c) His hometown.
(d) His attitude.
15. Why is Malpelo willing to do dangerous tasks in the mines?
(a) He doesn't want to lose his job.
(b) He always stands up to a challenge.
(c) He gets paid more money to do them.
(d) He feels he doesn't have a family.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Gianmatteo get Belfagor to leave the king's daughter's body and return to hell?
2. What does Maso say the helitropia stone does to people?
3. What does Torranza tell Bianca about her marriage in his urgent letter?
4. Why do Bruno and Buffalmaco like to play pranks on Calandrino?
5. Why do Bruno and Buffalmaco tell Calandrino he should have avoided his wife?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)