|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During their visit, what does Monsignor Filiberto ask of Madonna Zilia?
(a) A day to have lunch together.
(b) A kiss.
(c) A hug.
(d) Her hand in marriage.
2. Why do Bruno and Buffalmaco like to play pranks on Calandrino?
(a) Because he is easy to fool.
(b) Because he's hard to trick.
(c) Because he overreacts.
(d) Because he does the same to them.
3. How does the king arrange for Gianmatteo to meet with him?
(a) He has him kidnapped.
(b) He shows up at his house.
(c) He uses the law.
(d) He doubles his taxes until he shows up.
4. What does Bianca dislike about her husband, Emilio Squarcina?
(a) His parents.
(b) His hometown.
(c) His attitude.
(d) His garden.
5. What custom does Madonna Zilia refuse with Monsignor Filiberto?
(a) Wave her hat on the street.
(b) Bow before saying goodbye.
(c) Dance at court.
(d) Greet him with a kiss.
6. When she visits Monsignor Filiberto, what does Madonna Zilia tell him that disappoints him?
(a) That she didn't even want to visit him.
(b) That she does not love him.
(c) That she can't stay long.
(d) That she is moving out of town.
7. When Malpelo is accused by the other workers, how does Ranocchio react?
(a) He accuses Malpelo too.
(b) He defends Malpelo.
(c) He calls for the boss.
(d) He ignores the whole scene.
8. Why do Bruno and Buffalmaco throw stones in the air?
(a) They are pretending to be angry.
(b) They are bored.
(c) They are trying to see who can throw the highest.
(d) They want to see who they hit.
9. How does Bianca describe her feelings for Hermes Torranza?
(a) She does not like him at all.
(b) She likes him more than a friend.
(c) She likes him as a friend.
(d) She loves him.
10. Who tells Bianca that Torrazna has died?
(a) Dalla Carretta.
(b) Her husband.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Professor Farsatti.
11. How much older is Hermes Torranza than Bianca?
(a) Over 20 years.
(b) About 10 years.
(c) They are the same age.
(d) 5 years.
12. What causes Ranocchio to start coughing up blood?
(a) He falls in the mines.
(b) Malpelo hits him on the back.
(c) He swallows something sharp.
(d) Malpelo shakes him.
13. Why do Bruno and Buffalmaco suggest looking for a helitropia stone on holiday?
(a) No one else will be around.
(b) They want to find one before then.
(c) It's a lucky holiday.
(d) They have the day off of work.
14. Even though the other miners hate Malpelo, why do they keep him around?
(a) They signed a contract with him.
(b) Out of respect for his father.
(c) Because he is a hard worker.
(d) His mother begged them.
15. What does the king of France change the award to in "Madonna Zilia"?
(a) 20,000 francs.
(b) 15,000 francs.
(c) 10,000 francs.
(d) 5,000 francs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hermes Torranza write in letters to Bianca?
2. Why does Calandrino want a helitropia stone?
3. Why does Belfagor tell Gianmatteo to stay away from him?
4. What does Calandrino do for a living?
5. Why does Belfagor try to flee town?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)