|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the king seek out Gianmatteo?
(a) He wants his money back.
(b) He is worried about his daughter.
(c) He wants to know who Belfagor is.
(d) He wants him to marry is daughter.
2. How long does Madonna Zilia ask Monsignor Filiberto to not speak for?
(a) Two years.
(b) Three years.
(c) One year.
(d) Four years.
3. How does Gianmatteo get Belfagor to leave the king's daughter's body and return to hell?
(a) He says he knows his boss.
(b) He says he lost all the money.
(c) He says his wife is coming.
(d) He says a prayer.
4. What does Hermes Torranza write in letters to Bianca?
(a) He gives her advice.
(b) He plans her future.
(c) He suggests books for her to read.
(d) He sends her recipes.
5. What does Hermes Torranza do for a living?
(a) Build sculptures.
(b) Compose music.
(c) Write poetry.
(d) Paint pictures.
6. Why does Belfagor do as Onesta says in their marriage?
(a) Those were his directions.
(b) He fears she'll find out the truth.
(c) She has power over him.
(d) He is trying to trick her.
7. By whom was Giovanni Verga influenced?
(a) The Germans.
(b) The French.
(c) The English.
(d) The Spanish.
8. How many stories are in "The Decameron"?
(a) One hundred.
9. Why does the visit from Dalla Carretta disappoint Bianca?
(a) She thought it was Torranza.
(b) She was trying to sleep.
(c) She wanted to go out to town.
(d) She wanted to be alone.
10. Who tells Bianca that Torrazna has died?
(a) Her husband.
(b) Dalla Carretta.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Professor Farsatti.
11. Why does Madonna Zilia travel to France to see Monsignor Filiberto?
(a) She hears he is still keeping his oath.
(b) She travels there accidentally.
(c) Filiberto offers her money.
(d) The king of France invites her.
12. Why do the Carrettas criticize Torranza?
(a) For his writing skills.
(b) For his many wives.
(c) For his feeble mind.
(d) For his belief in the afterlife.
13. What is Monsignor Filiberto's reaction to Madonna Zilia's lack of interest in him?
(a) He moves to a different town.
(b) He teases her.
(c) He falls ill.
(d) He cries.
14. Why can't Belfagor leave town?
(a) His creditors are after him.
(b) The other devils make him stay.
(c) Onesta's father finds him.
(d) He decides he doesn't want to leave.
15. Why does Belfagor need to possess a wealthy daughter for a second time?
(a) Belfagor wanted to prove himself.
(b) Gianmatteo didn't get enough money.
(c) The first daughter was too smart.
(d) Gianmatteo asked him to do it again.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Belfagor try to flee town?
2. Where does Maso discuss magic rocks in front of Calandrino?
3. What does Maso say the helitropia stone does to people?
4. Even though the other miners hate Malpelo, why do they keep him around?
5. How does Verga explain Malpelo's father's death?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)