|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Even though the other miners hate Malpelo, why do they keep him around?
(a) They signed a contract with him.
(b) His mother begged them.
(c) Because he is a hard worker.
(d) Out of respect for his father.
2. How does Gianmatteo get Belfagor to leave the king's daughter's body and return to hell?
(a) He says a prayer.
(b) He says his wife is coming.
(c) He says he lost all the money.
(d) He says he knows his boss.
3. What do people think of Monsignor Filiberto's silence?
(a) They think he is stupid for agreeing to it.
(b) They think he has lost his mind.
(c) They think it is a physical sickness.
(d) They don't even notice.
4. Why does Onesta's family choose Belfagor to marry her?
(a) His money.
(b) His good looks.
(c) His charm.
(d) His education.
5. Why does Belfagor tell Gianmatteo to stay away from him?
(a) Because he is going back to Hell.
(b) Because Gianmatteo needs a wife.
(c) Because he will do Gianmatteo harm.
(d) Because Gianmatteo annoys him.
6. What does Gianmatteo suggest the king have a large group of people play?
7. What does Maso say the helitropia stone does to people?
(a) Makes them taller.
(b) Makes them able to fly.
(c) Makes them invisible.
(d) Makes them sleepy.
8. How does Malpelo feel when he visits Ranocchio and sees his mother crying?
(a) He wants to talk about it.
(b) It scares him.
(c) He doesn't understand it.
(d) It makes him cry, also.
9. Why does Belfagor try to flee town?
(a) Onesta kicked him out.
(b) He is no longer in love with Onesta.
(c) He has run out of money.
(d) Onesta cheated on him.
10. During which century did Boccacio write?
(a) The 17th.
(b) The 15th.
(c) The 14th.
(d) The 16th.
11. In "Story of the Devil Who Took a Wife," who has the vision of hell?
(a) The Devil.
(c) An unmarried man.
(d) Holy leaders.
12. When Madonna Zilia first comes to France, how does Monsignor Filiberto react to her?
(a) He does not trust her.
(b) He is angry when he sees her.
(c) He is happy to know she cares about him.
(d) He falls in love with her again.
13. How does Monsignor Filiberto feel about Madonna Zilia's requested oath of silence?
(a) He thinks it's childish.
(b) He thinks it's a bluff.
(c) He thinks it's too long.
(d) He thinks it's fair.
14. What does Hermes Torranza write in letters to Bianca?
(a) He plans her future.
(b) He suggests books for her to read.
(c) He sends her recipes.
(d) He gives her advice.
15. Where does Maso discuss magic rocks in front of Calandrino?
(a) The center of town.
(b) The market.
(c) His house.
(d) The church.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is the helitropia stone, according to Maso?
2. What does Hermes Torranza do for a living?
3. What is Belfagor's name when he pretends to be a man?
4. Why does the visit from Dalla Carretta disappoint Bianca?
5. What is Belfagor given before he goes to earth in the form of a man?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)