|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the king of France tell the doctors will happen if they fail to treat Monsignor Filiberto?
(a) They will be charged.
(b) They will be exiled.
(c) They will be forced to try again.
(d) They will be beheaded.
2. Why does Belfagor want to possess the daughter of a wealthy man?
(a) So Gianmatteo can control her.
(b) So he can get some of his money back.
(c) So he can get revenge.
(d) Because he is bored.
3. What does Hermes Torranza write in letters to Bianca?
(a) He plans her future.
(b) He gives her advice.
(c) He suggests books for her to read.
(d) He sends her recipes.
4. Why do Bruno and Buffalmaco tell Calandrino he should have avoided his wife?
(a) So he wouldn't take his anger out on her.
(b) So she wouldn't know about the rocks.
(c) So they could have found more rocks.
(d) So she wouldn't take his magic.
5. Why does Monsignor Filiberto go to France?
(a) To help the king find a wife.
(b) To help the king build a new castle.
(c) To help the king write a book.
(d) To help the king win a war.
6. How does Malpelo feel when he visits Ranocchio and sees his mother crying?
(a) He doesn't understand it.
(b) It makes him cry, also.
(c) He wants to talk about it.
(d) It scares him.
7. What color is the helitropia stone, according to Maso?
8. Why do Bruno and Buffalmaco suggest looking for a helitropia stone on holiday?
(a) They want to find one before then.
(b) No one else will be around.
(c) It's a lucky holiday.
(d) They have the day off of work.
9. What does Gianmatteo own?
(a) A bank.
(b) A farm.
(d) A fabric store.
10. In "Story of the Devil Who Took a Wife," who has the vision of hell?
(a) An unmarried man.
(b) Holy leaders.
(c) The Devil.
11. Why does the visit from Dalla Carretta disappoint Bianca?
(a) She was trying to sleep.
(b) She thought it was Torranza.
(c) She wanted to go out to town.
(d) She wanted to be alone.
12. When Malpelo is accused by the other workers, how does Ranocchio react?
(a) He accuses Malpelo too.
(b) He ignores the whole scene.
(c) He defends Malpelo.
(d) He calls for the boss.
13. What is Monsignor Filiberto's reaction to Madonna Zilia's lack of interest in him?
(a) He moves to a different town.
(b) He cries.
(c) He falls ill.
(d) He teases her.
14. How does Malpelo feel about people who get to work outside?
(a) He hates them.
(b) He mocks them.
(c) He envies them.
(d) He is curious about them.
15. When she visits Monsignor Filiberto, what does Madonna Zilia tell him that disappoints him?
(a) That she is moving out of town.
(b) That she does not love him.
(c) That she didn't even want to visit him.
(d) That she can't stay long.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Madonna Zilia ask Monsignor Filiberto to take an oath?
2. How many stories are in "The Decameron"?
3. What does Belfagor offer Gianmatteo in exchange for his help?
4. What does Malpelo tell Ranocchio when he takes him to the place where his father died?
5. Why does the king of France change the award for helping Monsignor Filiberto speak?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)