|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of "Eighth Day, Third Story," how does Calandrino feel about his wife?
(a) He is still angry at her.
(b) He decides to leave her.
(c) He makes up with her.
(d) He ignores her.
2. What custom does Madonna Zilia refuse with Monsignor Filiberto?
(a) Dance at court.
(b) Bow before saying goodbye.
(c) Wave her hat on the street.
(d) Greet him with a kiss.
3. What does Gianmatteo suggest the king have a large group of people play?
4. What does Torranza tell Bianca about her marriage in his urgent letter?
(a) She should get her husband help.
(b) She should reconcile with her husband.
(c) She should leave her husband.
(d) She should ignore her husband politely.
5. Why is Malpelo willing to do dangerous tasks in the mines?
(a) He feels he doesn't have a family.
(b) He doesn't want to lose his job.
(c) He gets paid more money to do them.
(d) He always stands up to a challenge.
6. Why does Onesta's family choose Belfagor to marry her?
(a) His charm.
(b) His money.
(c) His education.
(d) His good looks.
7. Why does Madonna Zilia ask Monsignor Filiberto to take an oath?
(a) Because she knows he will do it.
(b) Because she thinks he won't do it.
(c) Because she wants to control him.
(d) Because she is bored.
8. By whom was Giovanni Verga influenced?
(a) The Spanish.
(b) The English.
(c) The Germans.
(d) The French.
9. What does the king of France tell the doctors will happen if they fail to treat Monsignor Filiberto?
(a) They will be beheaded.
(b) They will be charged.
(c) They will be forced to try again.
(d) They will be exiled.
10. What does Hermes Torranza write in letters to Bianca?
(a) He plans her future.
(b) He suggests books for her to read.
(c) He gives her advice.
(d) He sends her recipes.
11. What does Malpelo tell Ranocchio when he takes him to the place where his father died?
(a) He tells Ranocchio his father's stories.
(b) He tells Ranocchio to always be careful.
(c) He tells Ranocchio nothing.
(d) He tells Ranocchio to find a new job.
12. How does Malpelo feel about people who get to work outside?
(a) He hates them.
(b) He mocks them.
(c) He envies them.
(d) He is curious about them.
13. Why is Malpelo's mother ashamed of him?
(a) Because people gossip about him.
(b) Because he insults her.
(c) Because he beats people.
(d) Because he works a poor job.
14. What does Bianca do when her father criticizes Torranza?
(a) Asks to go to town.
(b) Goes to her room.
(c) Fights back.
(d) Stays silent.
15. What happens with the rocks Bruno and Buffalmaco throw?
(a) They hit Calandrino.
(b) They break windows.
(c) They land on them.
(d) They land in the water.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Madonna Zilia travel to France to see Monsignor Filiberto?
2. What does Belfagor offer Gianmatteo in exchange for his help?
3. How does Malpelo's sister feel about him?
4. What does Beneto consider above all other things in his rule?
5. How does Professor Farsatti feel about Mount San Dona?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)