|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Calandrino do for a living?
2. What happens with the rocks Bruno and Buffalmaco throw?
(a) They land in the water.
(b) They hit Calandrino.
(c) They land on them.
(d) They break windows.
3. Why does Belfagor tease Gianmatteo about the large group of people performing in front of the king?
(a) He says he will sabotage the whole plan.
(b) He says Gianmatteo is stupid.
(c) He says it will intimidate Gianmatteo.
(d) He says it won't work.
4. What does Belfagor offer Gianmatteo in exchange for his help?
(a) A chance to go to heaven.
(c) A wife.
5. Why does Monsignor Filiberto go to France?
(a) To help the king find a wife.
(b) To help the king write a book.
(c) To help the king win a war.
(d) To help the king build a new castle.
6. Why does Madonna Zilia ask Monsignor Filiberto to take an oath?
(a) Because she knows he will do it.
(b) Because she is bored.
(c) Because she wants to control him.
(d) Because she thinks he won't do it.
7. What does Bianca do when her father criticizes Torranza?
(a) Fights back.
(b) Asks to go to town.
(c) Goes to her room.
(d) Stays silent.
8. Why can't Belfagor leave town?
(a) He decides he doesn't want to leave.
(b) His creditors are after him.
(c) The other devils make him stay.
(d) Onesta's father finds him.
9. How does the king arrange for Gianmatteo to meet with him?
(a) He uses the law.
(b) He shows up at his house.
(c) He has him kidnapped.
(d) He doubles his taxes until he shows up.
10. In "Story of the Devil Who Took a Wife," who has the vision of hell?
(a) Holy leaders.
(c) The Devil.
(d) An unmarried man.
11. How does Verga explain Malpelo's father's death?
(a) A fight.
(b) A mine accident.
(c) A fire.
(d) A water accident.
12. What does Maso say the helitropia stone does to people?
(a) Makes them sleepy.
(b) Makes them taller.
(c) Makes them invisible.
(d) Makes them able to fly.
13. What does Hermes Torranza write in letters to Bianca?
(a) He sends her recipes.
(b) He suggests books for her to read.
(c) He gives her advice.
(d) He plans her future.
14. How does Monsignor Filiberto feel about Madonna Zilia's requested oath of silence?
(a) He thinks it's a bluff.
(b) He thinks it's too long.
(c) He thinks it's fair.
(d) He thinks it's childish.
15. Why does Spoleto help Monsignor Filiberto see Madonna Zilia?
(a) Because Filiberto paid him.
(b) Because his priest made him.
(c) Because he owes Filiberto.
(d) Because they are friends.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do people think caused Malpelo to have red hair?
2. During their visit, what does Monsignor Filiberto ask of Madonna Zilia?
3. How does Malpelo feel when he visits Ranocchio and sees his mother crying?
4. What does Beneto consider above all other things in his rule?
5. What does Calandrino think his wife did when he walked through the door?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)