|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What custom does Madonna Zilia refuse with Monsignor Filiberto?
(a) Wave her hat on the street.
(b) Greet him with a kiss.
(c) Bow before saying goodbye.
(d) Dance at court.
2. Why does Belfagor need to possess a wealthy daughter for a second time?
(a) Gianmatteo asked him to do it again.
(b) Belfagor wanted to prove himself.
(c) Gianmatteo didn't get enough money.
(d) The first daughter was too smart.
3. What does Calandrino do for a living?
4. How does the king arrange for Gianmatteo to meet with him?
(a) He uses the law.
(b) He doubles his taxes until he shows up.
(c) He shows up at his house.
(d) He has him kidnapped.
5. Why do the Carrettas criticize Torranza?
(a) For his belief in the afterlife.
(b) For his writing skills.
(c) For his feeble mind.
(d) For his many wives.
6. Why does Calandrino want a helitropia stone?
(a) To win a fight.
(b) To find a wife.
(c) To build his house.
(d) To steal money.
7. What does Spoleto dress as to trick Madonna Zilia?
(a) A priest.
(b) A teacher.
(c) A street vendor.
(d) A doctor.
8. Where does Maso discuss magic rocks in front of Calandrino?
(a) The center of town.
(b) The market.
(c) The church.
(d) His house.
9. Why does Madonna Zilia ask Monsignor Filiberto to take an oath?
(a) Because she thinks he won't do it.
(b) Because she is bored.
(c) Because she knows he will do it.
(d) Because she wants to control him.
10. How does Gianmatteo get Belfagor to leave the king's daughter's body and return to hell?
(a) He says a prayer.
(b) He says he knows his boss.
(c) He says he lost all the money.
(d) He says his wife is coming.
11. At the end of "Eighth Day, Third Story," how does Calandrino feel about his wife?
(a) He decides to leave her.
(b) He ignores her.
(c) He is still angry at her.
(d) He makes up with her.
12. What does Torranza tell Bianca about her marriage in his urgent letter?
(a) She should ignore her husband politely.
(b) She should get her husband help.
(c) She should leave her husband.
(d) She should reconcile with her husband.
13. Why does Belfagor try to flee town?
(a) Onesta kicked him out.
(b) He is no longer in love with Onesta.
(c) He has run out of money.
(d) Onesta cheated on him.
14. What does Gianmatteo suggest the king have a large group of people play?
15. Why do Bruno and Buffalmaco suggest looking for a helitropia stone on holiday?
(a) They have the day off of work.
(b) It's a lucky holiday.
(c) No one else will be around.
(d) They want to find one before then.
Short Answer Questions
1. By whom was Giovanni Verga influenced?
2. Where does Gianmatteo hide Belfagor?
3. What does Maso say the helitropia stone does to people?
4. How does Malpelo's sister feel about him?
5. Why does Madonna Zilia travel to France to see Monsignor Filiberto?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)