|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Belfagor given before he goes to earth in the form of a man?
(b) Good wishes.
(c) Clear directions.
2. Where does Malpelo think is the most natural place for him to be?
(a) At home.
(b) In trees.
(c) In a castle.
3. Who tells Bianca that Torrazna has died?
(a) Her husband.
(b) Professor Farsatti.
(c) Dalla Carretta.
(d) Her mother.
4. What type of poetry does Professor Farsatti say Mount San Dona reminds him of?
5. Why do the Carrettas criticize Torranza?
(a) For his feeble mind.
(b) For his belief in the afterlife.
(c) For his writing skills.
(d) For his many wives.
6. What do the miners find where Malpelo's father died?
(a) His pants.
(b) His shoe.
(c) A note.
(d) His bag.
7. Why can't Belfagor leave town?
(a) The other devils make him stay.
(b) His creditors are after him.
(c) Onesta's father finds him.
(d) He decides he doesn't want to leave.
8. Why do Bruno and Buffalmaco throw stones in the air?
(a) They are trying to see who can throw the highest.
(b) They are pretending to be angry.
(c) They are bored.
(d) They want to see who they hit.
9. What does Spoleto dress as to trick Madonna Zilia?
(a) A street vendor.
(b) A priest.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A teacher.
10. Why does Calandrino's wife yell at him when he comes home?
(a) Because he has rocks with him.
(b) Because he skipped work.
(c) Because she is hungry.
(d) Because he is late.
11. What color is the helitropia stone, according to Maso?
12. How does the king arrange for Gianmatteo to meet with him?
(a) He shows up at his house.
(b) He has him kidnapped.
(c) He doubles his taxes until he shows up.
(d) He uses the law.
13. How does Monsignor Filiberto feel about Madonna Zilia's requested oath of silence?
(a) He thinks it's a bluff.
(b) He thinks it's too long.
(c) He thinks it's childish.
(d) He thinks it's fair.
14. What does Calandrino think his wife did when he walked through the door?
(a) Smacked him.
(b) Told Bruno and Buffalmaco what happened.
(c) Lied to him.
(d) Cancelled his magic.
15. Why do Bruno and Buffalmaco suggest looking for a helitropia stone on holiday?
(a) They have the day off of work.
(b) No one else will be around.
(c) It's a lucky holiday.
(d) They want to find one before then.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Monsignor Filiberto go to France?
2. Even though the other miners hate Malpelo, why do they keep him around?
3. How does Verga explain Malpelo's father's death?
4. Why do Bruno and Buffalmaco like to play pranks on Calandrino?
5. How does Malpelo's sister feel about him?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)