|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Calandrino's wife yell at him when he comes home?
(a) Because he skipped work.
(b) Because he is late.
(c) Because he has rocks with him.
(d) Because she is hungry.
2. Why does Belfagor need to possess a wealthy daughter for a second time?
(a) The first daughter was too smart.
(b) Gianmatteo asked him to do it again.
(c) Gianmatteo didn't get enough money.
(d) Belfagor wanted to prove himself.
3. Why does Bianca return to San Dona?
(a) To escape her husband.
(b) To write a book.
(c) To find a job.
(d) To help her parents.
4. How does Malpelo's sister feel about him?
(a) She loves him.
(b) She is afraid for him.
(c) She is embarrassed by him.
(d) She ignores him.
5. Where does Maso discuss magic rocks in front of Calandrino?
(a) The center of town.
(b) The church.
(c) His house.
(d) The market.
6. What custom does Madonna Zilia refuse with Monsignor Filiberto?
(a) Greet him with a kiss.
(b) Dance at court.
(c) Bow before saying goodbye.
(d) Wave her hat on the street.
7. How does Monsignor Filiberto feel about Madonna Zilia's requested oath of silence?
(a) He thinks it's too long.
(b) He thinks it's fair.
(c) He thinks it's childish.
(d) He thinks it's a bluff.
8. What does Hermes Torranza write in letters to Bianca?
(a) He suggests books for her to read.
(b) He plans her future.
(c) He gives her advice.
(d) He sends her recipes.
9. How does Gianmatteo get Belfagor to leave the king's daughter's body and return to hell?
(a) He says his wife is coming.
(b) He says he lost all the money.
(c) He says a prayer.
(d) He says he knows his boss.
10. Why does Belfagor tell Gianmatteo to stay away from him?
(a) Because he is going back to Hell.
(b) Because Gianmatteo needs a wife.
(c) Because Gianmatteo annoys him.
(d) Because he will do Gianmatteo harm.
11. What is Belfagor given before he goes to earth in the form of a man?
(a) Good wishes.
(c) Clear directions.
12. What does Calandrino think his wife did when he walked through the door?
(a) Lied to him.
(b) Cancelled his magic.
(c) Smacked him.
(d) Told Bruno and Buffalmaco what happened.
13. What does Monsignor Filiberto do for a living?
(a) He is a soldier.
(b) He is a banker.
(c) He is a priest.
(d) He is a writer.
14. In what genre did Fogazzaro write first?
(d) Short stories.
15. Where does Gianmatteo hide Belfagor?
(a) Under his house.
(b) Behind a rock.
(c) In a pile of manure.
(d) Inside a trash can.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time of day do Bruno and Buffalmaco suggest Calandrino look for the helitropia stone?
2. By whom was Giovanni Verga influenced?
3. How does Malpelo feel about people who get to work outside?
4. What happens with the rocks Bruno and Buffalmaco throw?
5. Why does Belfagor try to flee town?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)