|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By whom was Giovanni Verga influenced?
(a) The French.
(b) The English.
(c) The Germans.
(d) The Spanish.
2. Why do Bruno and Buffalmaco like to play pranks on Calandrino?
(a) Because he does the same to them.
(b) Because he is easy to fool.
(c) Because he overreacts.
(d) Because he's hard to trick.
3. In what genre did Fogazzaro write first?
(c) Short stories.
4. What does Torranza tell Bianca about his death?
(a) He will send a lawyer to see her.
(b) He will leave her money.
(c) He will give her a sign.
(d) He will miss her.
5. When Madonna Zilia first comes to France, how does Monsignor Filiberto react to her?
(a) He is happy to know she cares about him.
(b) He does not trust her.
(c) He falls in love with her again.
(d) He is angry when he sees her.
6. Why does Calandrino's wife yell at him when he comes home?
(a) Because he has rocks with him.
(b) Because he skipped work.
(c) Because he is late.
(d) Because she is hungry.
7. Why does Bianca stay silent after learning of Torranza's death?
(a) She wants to hear what they think first.
(b) She doesn't have anything to say.
(c) She doesn't want anyone to know how she feels about him.
(d) She is shocked.
8. What type of poetry does Professor Farsatti say Mount San Dona reminds him of?
9. How does Malpelo feel when he visits Ranocchio and sees his mother crying?
(a) He doesn't understand it.
(b) It makes him cry, also.
(c) It scares him.
(d) He wants to talk about it.
10. Why does Belfagor tease Gianmatteo about the large group of people performing in front of the king?
(a) He says Gianmatteo is stupid.
(b) He says it won't work.
(c) He says he will sabotage the whole plan.
(d) He says it will intimidate Gianmatteo.
11. Why is Malpelo's mother ashamed of him?
(a) Because people gossip about him.
(b) Because he insults her.
(c) Because he beats people.
(d) Because he works a poor job.
12. Why does Belfagor try to flee town?
(a) Onesta kicked him out.
(b) He is no longer in love with Onesta.
(c) Onesta cheated on him.
(d) He has run out of money.
13. What does Calandrino think his wife did when he walked through the door?
(a) Lied to him.
(b) Cancelled his magic.
(c) Smacked him.
(d) Told Bruno and Buffalmaco what happened.
14. What lesson does Malpelo try to show Ranocchio about working in the mines?
(a) That he has to be a fighter.
(b) That he has to work the hardest.
(c) That he has to hide his money.
(d) That he has to be fast.
15. Even though the other miners hate Malpelo, why do they keep him around?
(a) His mother begged them.
(b) Because he is a hard worker.
(c) Out of respect for his father.
(d) They signed a contract with him.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much older is Hermes Torranza than Bianca?
2. What does Belfagor offer Gianmatteo in exchange for his help?
3. Why can't Belfagor leave town?
4. What is Monsignor Filiberto's reaction to Madonna Zilia's lack of interest in him?
5. Where does Malpelo think is the most natural place for him to be?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)