|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Nancy's dad tell her she was almost born?
2. Who is the mailroom boy at Nancy's job?
3. What 1980s student does Nancy mention in April?
4. Where does Nancy get invited for Christmas?
5. Who called Nancy's mom because of the teasing at school?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Nancy feel about her school in Phoenix?
2. What problem does Dorie face that Nancy writes about in January?
3. How do boys at school tease Nancy in April?
4. In the middle of February, how does Nancy know she is feeling better?
5. Why is Nancy "living in Heaven" at the beginning of February?
6. What is Doodle Day at Nancy's school?
7. Why has Nancy not written in her diary in three weeks?
8. What did Nancy and her dad do on New Year's Day?
9. Why does Nancy call Thanksgiving a "blessed Thanksgiving" in November?
10. Why do Nancy and her dad go to Mass at the beginning of September?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Another "character" in the story is Nancy's Self, which she addresses through her diary. While not a physical being, the Self plays an important role in the story. Write a response exploring the role of Nancy's Self in the story. How does Nancy treat her Self? What does the Self do for Nancy? Use specific references to the text in the response.
Essay Topic 2
There are many symbols throughout the story - from the Idaho ranch to the jewelry she and Lew exchange and her diary. Write a response highlighting at least three symbols present in the book. Discuss what the symbols represent and how they are important to the story. Use specific references to the text in the response.
Essay Topic 3
In It Happened to Nancy, Nancy's parents are divorced, and she lives with her mom while her dad lives in Phoenix. Write a response focusing on the role and importance of Nancy's parents to the story. Why are they important to the story's events? What role do they play? What type of relationships do they have with Nancy? What type of relationship do they have with each other? Use specific references to the text in the response.
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)