|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What concert are Nancy and her friends going to in April at the beginning of the book?
2. What fairy tale princess does Nancy compare herself to in April?
3. Whom can Lew never know about, according to a July diary entry?
4. What pieces of jewelry do Nancy and Lew exchange?
5. What does Nancy put on her peanut butter sandwich in September?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Nancy and the gaggle go to Uncle Bill's cabin at the beginning of June?
2. Why does Nancy have trouble sleeping at the beginning of September?
3. Why does Nancy stop playing in the band?
4. Why does Lew tell Nancy they cannot see each other for three weeks?
5. When Nancy first goes to the doctor in July, what does he tell her to do to stop feeling tired all the time?
6. Why does Nancy decide she wants to go into the medical field?
7. What do Nancy and her mom do at the beach?
8. How does Nancy calm down during the concert?
9. What feelings do Lew and Nancy share about their parents' divorces?
10. What does Nancy worry about her blood in the middle of September's diary entries?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many symbols throughout the story - from the Idaho ranch to the jewelry she and Lew exchange and her diary. Write a response highlighting at least three symbols present in the book. Discuss what the symbols represent and how they are important to the story. Use specific references to the text in the response.
Essay Topic 2
The concept and idea of promises is another important element to the story. Write a response focusing on the promises present in the story and their role in the story's development. What promises are made? Which promises are kept and which are broken? What does the keeping of or breaking of the promises do to the characters in the story? Use specific references to the text in the response.
Essay Topic 3
There are several animals present in the story - Imperical, Cougar, Red Alert, and RA4. Write a response exploring how each of these animals is important to the story and the role each animal plays in the story. What characters are connected to the animals? What is each animal's purpose in the story? Use specific references to the text in the response.
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)