Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of baskets do Nancy and her mom learn to make at the beach?
2. Who is Betsy Mae?
3. What does Nancy compare the feeling in her chest to in a July diary entry?
4. What kind of flower does Collin give Nancy at her school?
5. Who takes the girls to the concert?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Nancy go to Liz's office at the beginning of June?
2. What problem does Dorie face that Nancy writes about in January?
3. Why does Nancy like living at the ranch more than home?
4. Why does Nancy call Thanksgiving a "blessed Thanksgiving" in November?
5. Who is Nancy's surprise visitor at the ranch in April?
6. When Nancy first goes to the doctor in July, what does he tell her to do to stop feeling tired all the time?
7. What happens during the concert?
8. When does Lew kiss Nancy for the first time?
9. In the middle of February, how does Nancy know she is feeling better?
10. What does Mrs. Maggleby, the school nurse, do at the beginning of April?
Essay Topic 1
While some identifying details are removed from the book to protect Nancy and her family, the time that the book takes place is important. As Nancy is diagnosed with HIV/AIDS, the knowledge of the disease and treatment options available are more limited than they would be if the story had taken place currently. Write a response explaining how the time period in which the book takes place influences the events of the story. What would be different had the book taken place in current times? Use specific references to the text in the response.
Essay Topic 2
Nancy's friend Lew is a very religious person, as is Red's Uncle Bill and Nancy herself. There are several references throughout the book to religion, sin, and repenting. Write a response focusing on the theme of religion and sin as presented in the story. What characters are religious? How is sin and religion portrayed in the book? How do the characters deal with religion and sin? Use specific references to the text in the response.
Essay Topic 3
In It Happened to Nancy, Nancy's parents are divorced, and she lives with her mom while her dad lives in Phoenix. Write a response focusing on the role and importance of Nancy's parents to the story. Why are they important to the story's events? What role do they play? What type of relationships do they have with Nancy? What type of relationship do they have with each other? Use specific references to the text in the response.
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)