|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of flower does Collin give Nancy at her school?
2. What does Lew want to be when he gets older?
3. What day does Nancy cut school to spend time with Collin?
4. What role does Lew have in the student body at school?
5. Where does Nancy's dad live?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Nancy doing to try and feel better at the beginning of August?
2. What does Nancy admire about her mom's Aunt Thelma?
3. Why does Nancy want to make Lew proud of her?
4. What feelings do Lew and Nancy share about their parents' divorces?
5. Why does Nancy have trouble sleeping at the beginning of September?
6. What does Nancy do on her 15th birthday?
7. Why does Nancy decide she wants to go into the medical field?
8. How does the barbecue at Lew's house give Nancy an idea of how she wants her and Lew's future to be?
9. What does Collin tell Nancy about himself at their first meeting?
10. How does Lew respond when Dorie suggests they make him a member of the gaggle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lew, Nancy's boyfriend, serves an important role in the story. Write a response exploring Lew's importance to Nancy and the story overall. How does Nancy change because of Lew? What does Lew provide for Nancy? What might be different if Nancy did not know Lew? Use specific references to the text in the response.
Essay Topic 2
There are many symbols throughout the story - from the Idaho ranch to the jewelry she and Lew exchange and her diary. Write a response highlighting at least three symbols present in the book. Discuss what the symbols represent and how they are important to the story. Use specific references to the text in the response.
Essay Topic 3
Much of what occurs in It Happened to Nancy centers around the consequences of having sex. Write a response focusing on the theme of sex as portrayed in the story. Is sex positive or negative? What consequences are there? How do the characters deal with the consequences dealt to them? Use specific references to the text in the response.
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)