|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Nancy's first kitten's name?
2. The flowers on the ranch remind Nancy of ________________.
3. How does Nancy feel about death in September?
4. What character does Nancy compare Lew to at the cabin in June?
5. What kind of flower does Collin give Nancy at her school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Nancy and the gaggle go to Uncle Bill's cabin at the beginning of June?
2. When does Lew kiss Nancy for the first time?
3. When Nancy first goes to the doctor in July, what does he tell her to do to stop feeling tired all the time?
4. What does Nancy do on her 15th birthday?
5. Why does Officer Williams have Nancy relax in a state similar to hypnosis when he comes to the house in September?
6. What happens during the concert?
7. What does Nancy admire about her mom's Aunt Thelma?
8. Why does Nancy stop playing in the band?
9. What does Nancy worry about her blood in the middle of September's diary entries?
10. How does Lew respond when Dorie suggests they make him a member of the gaggle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Love and romance are key themes and ideas in It Happened to Nancy. What characters experience love and romance? Are love and romance always positive influences? How do love and romance cloud certain characters' judgments? Use specific references to the text in the response.
Essay Topic 2
An underlying theme throughout the story is the idea of death and finality. When Nancy is diagnosed with HIV/AIDS, she is aware she will die of the disease. As she struggles with the idea that she will die young, other characters in the story must also cope with the finality of death. Write a response focusing on the idea of death and finality as presented in the story. How do the characters cope with this idea? Use specific references to the text in the response.
Essay Topic 3
The theme of denial is an important aspect in It Happened to Nancy. Write a response focusing on the theme of denial as presented in the story. What characters are in denial? Why are they in denial? How do the characters overcome their denial and deal with the situation at hand? Use specific references to the text in the response.
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)