|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of baskets do Nancy and her mom learn to make at the beach?
2. Who is Betsy Mae?
3. What does Nancy compare the feeling in her chest to in a July diary entry?
4. What kind of flower does Collin give Nancy at her school?
5. Who takes the girls to the concert?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Nancy go to Liz's office at the beginning of June?
2. What problem does Dorie face that Nancy writes about in January?
3. Why does Nancy like living at the ranch more than home?
4. Why does Nancy call Thanksgiving a "blessed Thanksgiving" in November?
5. Who is Nancy's surprise visitor at the ranch in April?
6. When Nancy first goes to the doctor in July, what does he tell her to do to stop feeling tired all the time?
7. What happens during the concert?
8. When does Lew kiss Nancy for the first time?
9. In the middle of February, how does Nancy know she is feeling better?
10. What does Mrs. Maggleby, the school nurse, do at the beginning of April?
Essay Topic 1
An underlying theme throughout the story is the idea of death and finality. When Nancy is diagnosed with HIV/AIDS, she is aware she will die of the disease. As she struggles with the idea that she will die young, other characters in the story must also cope with the finality of death. Write a response focusing on the idea of death and finality as presented in the story. How do the characters cope with this idea? Use specific references to the text in the response.
Essay Topic 2
In It Happened to Nancy, Nancy's parents are divorced, and she lives with her mom while her dad lives in Phoenix. Write a response focusing on the role and importance of Nancy's parents to the story. Why are they important to the story's events? What role do they play? What type of relationships do they have with Nancy? What type of relationship do they have with each other? Use specific references to the text in the response.
Essay Topic 3
It Happened to Nancy is presented as a non-fiction book told from Nancy's diary and edited by Beatrice Sparks with only identifying details changed. Write a response exploring whether or not the book is truly a work of non-fiction. What elements of the story suggest it is true? Is there anything present in the book that might not be true? Use specific references to the text in the response.
This section contains 1,863 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)