Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of baskets do Nancy and her mom learn to make at the beach?
2. Who is Betsy Mae?
3. What does Nancy compare the feeling in her chest to in a July diary entry?
4. What kind of flower does Collin give Nancy at her school?
5. Who takes the girls to the concert?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Nancy go to Liz's office at the beginning of June?
2. What problem does Dorie face that Nancy writes about in January?
3. Why does Nancy like living at the ranch more than home?
4. Why does Nancy call Thanksgiving a "blessed Thanksgiving" in November?
5. Who is Nancy's surprise visitor at the ranch in April?
6. When Nancy first goes to the doctor in July, what does he tell her to do to stop feeling tired all the time?
7. What happens during the concert?
8. When does Lew kiss Nancy for the first time?
9. In the middle of February, how does Nancy know she is feeling better?
10. What does Mrs. Maggleby, the school nurse, do at the beginning of April?
Essay Topic 1
While some identifying details are removed from the book to protect Nancy and her family, the time that the book takes place is important. As Nancy is diagnosed with HIV/AIDS, the knowledge of the disease and treatment options available are more limited than they would be if the story had taken place currently. Write a response explaining how the time period in which the book takes place influences the events of the story. What would be different had the book taken place in current times? Use specific references to the text in the response.
Essay Topic 2
The theme of denial is an important aspect in It Happened to Nancy. Write a response focusing on the theme of denial as presented in the story. What characters are in denial? Why are they in denial? How do the characters overcome their denial and deal with the situation at hand? Use specific references to the text in the response.
Essay Topic 3
There are several characters present in the story that play a major role, in addition to Nancy as the main character. Choose three main or major characters and write a response focusing on their development throughout the story. How does each character change from the beginning of the story until the end? What role does each character play in the book's central conflict? Use specific references to the text in the response.
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)