|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is engraved on the piece of jewelry Nancy gives Lew?
2. Where does Nancy remember her family backpacking?
3. How does Collin sign the note he leaves Nancy at her school?
4. What kind of baskets do Nancy and her mom learn to make at the beach?
5. What state does Nancy live in?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Nancy and the gaggle go to Uncle Bill's cabin at the beginning of June?
2. How does Lew respond when Dorie suggests they make him a member of the gaggle?
3. What does Nancy worry about her blood in the middle of September's diary entries?
4. What happens during the concert?
5. Why does Nancy have trouble sleeping at the beginning of September?
6. How does Nancy calm down during the concert?
7. Why does Nancy want to make Lew proud of her?
8. What happened when Lew and Nancy got close to having sex?
9. Why does Nancy stop playing in the band?
10. What does the doctor tell Nancy when she visits the hospital in August?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The central conflict of the story is Nancy's diagnosis of HIV/AIDS. The story focuses on her contracting the disease and battling it until she dies. Write a response exploring the role of HIV/AIDS in the story. How is the disease presented? How does the disease's presence in the story shape the events of the book? Use specific references to the text in the response.
Essay Topic 2
Nancy must face a lot of guilt connected to her rape and subsequent HIV/AIDS diagnosis. She vents some of these feelings of guilt in her diary entries. Write a response focusing on the theme of guilt in the story as it relates to Nancy's feelings. Why does she feel guilty? How does she overcome the guilt? Use specific references to the text in the response.
Essay Topic 3
There are several animals present in the story - Imperical, Cougar, Red Alert, and RA4. Write a response exploring how each of these animals is important to the story and the role each animal plays in the story. What characters are connected to the animals? What is each animal's purpose in the story? Use specific references to the text in the response.
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)