Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of baskets do Nancy and her mom learn to make at the beach?
2. Who is Betsy Mae?
3. What does Nancy compare the feeling in her chest to in a July diary entry?
4. What kind of flower does Collin give Nancy at her school?
5. Who takes the girls to the concert?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Nancy go to Liz's office at the beginning of June?
2. What problem does Dorie face that Nancy writes about in January?
3. Why does Nancy like living at the ranch more than home?
4. Why does Nancy call Thanksgiving a "blessed Thanksgiving" in November?
5. Who is Nancy's surprise visitor at the ranch in April?
6. When Nancy first goes to the doctor in July, what does he tell her to do to stop feeling tired all the time?
7. What happens during the concert?
8. When does Lew kiss Nancy for the first time?
9. In the middle of February, how does Nancy know she is feeling better?
10. What does Mrs. Maggleby, the school nurse, do at the beginning of April?
While some identifying details are removed from the book to protect Nancy and her family, the time that the book takes place is important. As Nancy is diagnosed with HIV/AIDS, the knowledge of the disease and treatment options available are more limited than they would be if the story had taken place currently. Write a response explaining how the time period in which the book takes place influences the events of the story. What would be different had the book taken place in current times? Use specific references to the text in the response.
It Happened to Nancy is presented as a non-fiction book told from Nancy's diary and edited by Beatrice Sparks with only identifying details changed. Write a response exploring whether or not the book is truly a work of non-fiction. What elements of the story suggest it is true? Is there anything present in the book that might not be true? Use specific references to the text in the response.
The theme of denial is an important aspect in It Happened to Nancy. Write a response focusing on the theme of denial as presented in the story. What characters are in denial? Why are they in denial? How do the characters overcome their denial and deal with the situation at hand? Use specific references to the text in the response.
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)