|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of these things does Nancy not use to try and get better in August?
2. How does Nancy describe Lew?
3. What kind of grades does Nancy want?
4. What role does Lew play in Nancy's group of friends?
5. What concert was Nancy not allowed to go to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Nancy want to make Lew proud of her?
2. What does Collin tell Nancy about himself at their first meeting?
3. What does the doctor tell Nancy when she visits the hospital in August?
4. When does Lew kiss Nancy for the first time?
5. How does the barbecue at Lew's house give Nancy an idea of how she wants her and Lew's future to be?
6. Why is Nancy frustrated with the gaggle at the beginning of July?
7. What does Nancy do on her 15th birthday?
8. How does Nancy calm down during the concert?
9. When Nancy first goes to the doctor in July, what does he tell her to do to stop feeling tired all the time?
10. Why does Nancy have trouble sleeping at the beginning of September?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While some identifying details are removed from the book to protect Nancy and her family, the time that the book takes place is important. As Nancy is diagnosed with HIV/AIDS, the knowledge of the disease and treatment options available are more limited than they would be if the story had taken place currently. Write a response explaining how the time period in which the book takes place influences the events of the story. What would be different had the book taken place in current times? Use specific references to the text in the response.
Essay Topic 2
Lew, Nancy's boyfriend, serves an important role in the story. Write a response exploring Lew's importance to Nancy and the story overall. How does Nancy change because of Lew? What does Lew provide for Nancy? What might be different if Nancy did not know Lew? Use specific references to the text in the response.
Essay Topic 3
There are several characters present in the story that play a major role, in addition to Nancy as the main character. Choose three main or major characters and write a response focusing on their development throughout the story. How does each character change from the beginning of the story until the end? What role does each character play in the book's central conflict? Use specific references to the text in the response.
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)