|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of these things does Nancy not use to try and get better in August?
2. How does Nancy address her diary entries?
3. What book does Nancy want to get from the library?
4. Who takes the girls to the concert?
5. What parade does Nancy march in?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Nancy first goes to the doctor in July, what does he tell her to do to stop feeling tired all the time?
2. What do Nancy and her mom do at the beach?
3. Why does Nancy feel guilty at the end of May?
4. What happens when Nancy goes to the water slides in July?
5. How does the barbecue at Lew's house give Nancy an idea of how she wants her and Lew's future to be?
6. What is Nancy excited to do according to the first April diary entry?
7. Why do Nancy and the gaggle go to Uncle Bill's cabin at the beginning of June?
8. When does Lew kiss Nancy for the first time?
9. Why does Officer Williams have Nancy relax in a state similar to hypnosis when he comes to the house in September?
10. What happens during the concert?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many symbols throughout the story - from the Idaho ranch to the jewelry she and Lew exchange and her diary. Write a response highlighting at least three symbols present in the book. Discuss what the symbols represent and how they are important to the story. Use specific references to the text in the response.
Essay Topic 2
The theme of denial is an important aspect in It Happened to Nancy. Write a response focusing on the theme of denial as presented in the story. What characters are in denial? Why are they in denial? How do the characters overcome their denial and deal with the situation at hand? Use specific references to the text in the response.
Essay Topic 3
Much of what occurs in It Happened to Nancy centers around the consequences of having sex. Write a response focusing on the theme of sex as portrayed in the story. Is sex positive or negative? What consequences are there? How do the characters deal with the consequences dealt to them? Use specific references to the text in the response.
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)