|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Nancy gives CPR to ___________.
2. Where does Nancy remember her family backpacking?
3. What does Nancy compare the feeling in her chest to in a July diary entry?
4. What was wrong with Lew's great-grandmother?
5. What does Nancy spit up at the beginning of August?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nancy want to do at Buttercup Lake with Dorie?
2. What happens when Nancy goes to the water slides in July?
3. When Nancy first goes to the doctor in July, what does he tell her to do to stop feeling tired all the time?
4. Why are holidays sadder than regular days for Nancy?
5. Why does Nancy like living at the ranch more than home?
6. What happened when Lew and Nancy got close to having sex?
7. How do boys at school tease Nancy in April?
8. What does Nancy do on her 15th birthday?
9. What happens during the concert?
10. Why do Nancy and the gaggle go to Uncle Bill's cabin at the beginning of June?
Essay Topic 1
Love and romance are key themes and ideas in It Happened to Nancy. What characters experience love and romance? Are love and romance always positive influences? How do love and romance cloud certain characters' judgments? Use specific references to the text in the response.
Essay Topic 2
There are several characters present in the story that play a major role, in addition to Nancy as the main character. Choose three main or major characters and write a response focusing on their development throughout the story. How does each character change from the beginning of the story until the end? What role does each character play in the book's central conflict? Use specific references to the text in the response.
Essay Topic 3
Nancy's friend Lew is a very religious person, as is Red's Uncle Bill and Nancy herself. There are several references throughout the book to religion, sin, and repenting. Write a response focusing on the theme of religion and sin as presented in the story. What characters are religious? How is sin and religion portrayed in the book? How do the characters deal with religion and sin? Use specific references to the text in the response.
This section contains 1,924 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)