• The following version of this book was used to create this Lesson Plan: Lewis, Sinclair. It Can’t Happen Here. Signet Classics, 2014, Paperback.
• In Chapter 1, it is 1936 and the Fort Beulah, Vermont, Rotary Club is having a dinner.
• Besides a short skit, retired General Herbert Edgeways gives a speech about peace.
• One of the women speaks up and says that war is good for discipline and character of the country.
• The general answers that countries with power should use it.
• Lorinda Pike, who runs a boarding house, objects to the ideas, but the crowd shouts her down.
• Doremus Jessup, editor of the local newspaper, steps in and insists that Lorinda apologize to the general, which she does.
• As the evening ends, Doremus and his wife, are invited to an after-party by Frank Tasbrough.
• In Chapter 2, the Jessups and others join Tasbrough at his home for drinks...
This section contains 3,089 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)