|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does one of the women leave the bar in tears?
2. What does Thomas dream about as he sleeps on the beach?
3. What does the woman ask of Thomas when she learns the boy is not drunk?
4. How does Thomas learn of David and Andrew's deaths?
5. What is the name of the woman who figures out the boy is not drunk?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Thomas and his crew find on an island in Chapter I?
2. What happens when the prank is pulled on the yachtsmen?
3. Why does Thomas think a German body was found on the island in Chapter I?
4. What do Henry and Antonio do to help Thomas sleep, and how does Thomas receive this kindness?
5. What happens when Thomas and Willie have a small dispute after the crew catches a fish?
6. What does Thomas plan to paint about the swordfish experience?
7. What startling revelation does Roger get from Audrey, and what does this make him want to do?
8. What does Thomas paint for Bobby and where does he put it?
9. How does Thomas feel about his military duty?
10. Where does Roger plan to go after the boys leave the island, and what does he plan to do there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Thomas' relationship with Ginny change over the course of the plot? What causes these changes and what significance does this have to the outcome of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Which character do you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How does this character change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 3
Responsibility and coming-of-age were two themes that were interwoven in many places of this plot. Where do these themes appear, and how do they work together to move the plot along?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)