|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Thomas learn of David and Andrew's deaths?
2. Who apologizes to Thomas for David's condition the day after the swordfish got away?
3. What are Thomas' crew pretending to do as they search for the Germans?
4. Why does one of the women leave the bar in tears?
5. Where does Thomas think the German submarine will head after the massacre?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Thomas interrogates the dying German soldier?
2. What happens when Thomas and Willie have a small dispute after the crew catches a fish?
3. How does Thomas feel about his military duty?
4. What does Audrey come to Thomas' house to do, and where does she first hear about Thomas?
5. What does Audrey do when she figures out the prank?
6. What information does Thomas get from a lieutenant on an island while tracking the Germans?
7. What are Eddy and Joseph doing all night after the swordfish gets away?
8. What happens when one of the yachtsmen sees the picture Thomas painted for Bobby?
9. Why does Thomas think a German body was found on the island in Chapter I?
10. What startling revelation does Roger get from Audrey, and what does this make him want to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This plot took place during WWI. How does this historic event shape the main characters in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Love was a very important theme and motivating factor in this book. Which characters are most affected by this theme? Which relationships are the most significant to the plot, and why?
Essay Topic 3
Sacrifice and death was a theme that was very prevalent in this book. Who are the characters most affected by this theme, and how do they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)