|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How big is the fish that the crew catches after they bathe?
2. What does one of the yachtsmen say about the painting in Bobby's bar?
3. What is the name of the woman who figures out the boy is not drunk?
4. What does Thomas dream about as he sleeps on the beach?
5. What does Thomas paint by Bobby's suggestion?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Thomas plan to do after he hears about Andrew and David's deaths?
2. What do Henry and Antonio do to help Thomas sleep, and how does Thomas receive this kindness?
3. What does Thomas paint for Bobby and where does he put it?
4. What happens when Thomas interrogates the dying German soldier?
5. Why does Thomas think a German body was found on the island in Chapter I?
6. What does Bobby do when Roger gets sad thinking about one of his past girlfriends?
7. What startling revelation does Roger get from Audrey, and what does this make him want to do?
8. What happens when one of the yachtsmen sees the picture Thomas painted for Bobby?
9. What does Thomas dream about when he sleeps on the beach, and what happens when he wakes up?
10. Where does Roger plan to go after the boys leave the island, and what does he plan to do there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Security and safety were two themes that were touched on a number of times throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the characters in these scenes?
Essay Topic 2
Love was a very important theme and motivating factor in this book. Which characters are most affected by this theme? Which relationships are the most significant to the plot, and why?
Essay Topic 3
Thomas and Roger were two characters who were very similar in their natures, but were markedly different in other ways. Use some examples from the text to compare and contrast these two dynamic characters.
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)