|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Roger's brother when he dies?
2. What does Thomas like to build his fires out of?
3. What is the name of the highway Thomas takes in Chapter III?
4. How is Thomas feeling about having his boys with him after the shark incident?
5. What is the name of Thomas' oldest son?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kinds of things does Bobby think Thomas should paint?
2. Why does Thomas divorce his wives?
3. Where does Thomas take his boys after their first night on the island?
4. What does Tom talk about as they head out for deep sea fishing?
5. How does David say he felt about the swordfish?
6. What will the boys' mothers do while they are visiting Thomas on the island?
7. How does Roger think his father feels about his brother's death?
8. What does Thomas realize after the shark incident?
9. What is Roger's method with women?
10. What happens when the shark is spotted in Chapter VII?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book, and how this goal affected the characters around them.
Essay Topic 2
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Choosing sides was a theme that was presented in this book. What are some of the examples of this theme appearing, and how does it affect the characters involved?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)