|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Thomas plan to do with his boys in the gulf stream?
2. What is the name of Thomas' second oldest son?
3. What does Thomas wish he had never done the night after the shark incident?
4. What time of day does Thomas start drinking?
5. Where is Roger when he realizes the faults in one of his past girlfriends?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Thomas realize after the shark incident?
2. What does Tom talk about as they head out for deep sea fishing?
3. How does Thomas feel about driftwood at the beginning of the book?
4. Where does Thomas take his boys after their first night on the island?
5. What is Thomas' occupation at the beginning of the book?
6. What do Andy's brothers have to be cautious about when around him?
7. How does David say he felt about the swordfish?
8. What kinds of things does Bobby think Thomas should paint?
9. What is the danger of swimming at night at the beginning of the book?
10. What will the boys' mothers do while they are visiting Thomas on the island?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
Essay Topic 2
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 3
Audrey was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How does she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence, however brief, alters the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if she had not been in the book at all?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)