|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Thomas think about later in the night after the shark incident?
2. Where does Thomas tell Roger to write his good book?
3. What does Thomas' work keep him from feeling?
4. What color is the sand on the island that Thomas lives on at the beginning of the book?
5. Who does Roger say has never forgiven him for his brother's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has Thomas chosen to live alone?
2. What do Andy's brothers have to be cautious about when around him?
3. What does Thomas realize after the shark incident?
4. What happens to Uncle Edward at the beginning of Chapter III?
5. What happens to Tom's pet pigeon?
6. What do Thomas and Roger do the morning after Queen Mary's birthday?
7. What does Thomas plan to do when his boys leave the island?
8. What characteristics do each of Thomas' sons have?
9. What is Roger's method with women?
10. How does Roger think his father feels about his brother's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Thomas' relationship with Ginny change over the course of the plot? What causes these changes and what significance does this have to the outcome of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Responsibility and coming-of-age were two themes that were interwoven in many places of this plot. Where do these themes appear, and how do they work together to move the plot along?
Essay Topic 3
Despair was a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role does despair play in this book?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)