|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Thomas' last name?
2. What is the name of Thomas' oldest son?
3. What color is the water around the island Thomas lives on at the beginning of the book?
4. What does Roger enjoy doing that depresses him?
5. What kind of shark does Eddy see coming into the reef?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Roger's brother dies?
2. How do the boys feel after the shark is spotted?
3. What does Tom talk about as they head out for deep sea fishing?
4. What is the danger of swimming at night at the beginning of the book?
5. What does Frank do with his flare gun on Queen Mary's Birthday?
6. What do Andy's brothers have to be cautious about when around him?
7. What is Roger's method with women?
8. What does Roger say he would like to write, and why has he not done this yet?
9. Why does Louis think some conch pearls would make the crying woman happy?
10. What happens to Tom's pet pigeon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choosing sides was a theme that was presented in this book. What are some of the examples of this theme appearing, and how does it affect the characters involved?
Essay Topic 2
Thomas endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons does he learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 3
Audrey was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How does she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence, however brief, alters the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if she had not been in the book at all?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)