|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the shark heading for that Eddy sees coming into the reef?
2. How does Roger's brother die?
3. Who rides in the dinghy near the reef?
4. What is happening to the man Thomas sees on the highway in Chapter III?
5. How long do Thomas' sons plan to visit him on the island?
Short Essay Questions
1. What characteristics do each of Thomas' sons have?
2. How does David say he felt about the swordfish?
3. How does Roger think his father feels about his brother's death?
4. What does Frank do with his flare gun on Queen Mary's Birthday?
5. What do Andy's brothers have to be cautious about when around him?
6. Why does Louis think some conch pearls would make the crying woman happy?
7. How does Thomas feel about driftwood at the beginning of the book?
8. Where does Thomas live at the beginning of the book?
9. What happens when Bobby gives out free drinks for Queen Mary's birthday?
10. What is Roger's method with women?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Thomas' relationship with Ginny change over the course of the plot? What causes these changes and what significance does this have to the outcome of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Divorce was such a tangible theme in this book that it was almost another character. How does divorce affect the characters in this book, and what are some of the best examples in the text of these affects?
Essay Topic 3
Audrey was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How does she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence, however brief, alters the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if she had not been in the book at all?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)