|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Thomas like to build his fires out of?
2. Where does Thomas tell Roger to write his good book?
3. Which of the following is NOT something the bartender tells Thomas to paint?
4. How does Thomas think a good book should be written?
5. Why does Thomas say painting is less lonely than writing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has Thomas chosen to live alone?
2. How does Thomas say writing differs from painting?
3. What does Thomas think of Tom when they first see each other, and what changes this?
4. Where does Thomas live at the beginning of the book?
5. Why does Louis think some conch pearls would make the crying woman happy?
6. What does Thomas plan to do when his boys leave the island?
7. What kinds of things does Bobby think Thomas should paint?
8. What happens to Uncle Edward at the beginning of Chapter III?
9. How does David say he felt about the swordfish?
10. What does Frank do with his flare gun on Queen Mary's Birthday?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Divorce was such a tangible theme in this book that it was almost another character. How does divorce affect the characters in this book, and what are some of the best examples in the text of these affects?
Essay Topic 2
Thomas endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons does he learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 3
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)