|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is the sand on the island that Thomas lives on at the beginning of the book?
2. How does David say he feels about the fish?
3. How is Thomas feeling about having his boys with him after the shark incident?
4. What is the name of the highway Thomas takes in Chapter III?
5. Where is Roger when he realizes the faults in one of his past girlfriends?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does David say he felt about the swordfish?
2. What happens to Uncle Edward at the beginning of Chapter III?
3. What happens when the shark is spotted in Chapter VII?
4. What happens when Roger's brother dies?
5. What is the danger of swimming at night at the beginning of the book?
6. Why does Thomas divorce his wives?
7. Why has Thomas chosen to live alone?
8. How do the boys feel after the shark is spotted?
9. What does Thomas think of Tom when they first see each other, and what changes this?
10. Where does Thomas live at the beginning of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 2
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Power and greed were two common themes in this book. Where do they appear, and how do they differ in their manifestations?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)