|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Roberto born?
2. When Vincent first meets Malink, what does Vincent pull from his pocket when the children appear?
3. What is the name of the bar where the reporter Tuck is looking for typically can be found?
4. How many beds are in Sebastian's hospital ward?
5. When Tuck receives the missionary's item, about how long does Tuck say he still has to recuperate for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the Sorcerer so upset with the pilot in regard to the pilot's travel plans?
2. When Vincent first sees the Sky Priestess, what does he say to his crew?
3. As the emergency crews race after Tuck's plane when he crash-lands at the airport, the fireman notes that there is not enough fire. What does this statement signify?
4. After Tuck and Kimi run out of water, what does Tuck pass the time by doing?
5. Why does Sarapul hate the Japanese guards on the island so much?
6. Why had Sarapul been permanently banished from the Shark People's village?
7. Why is Tuck hung in a tree by the island natives?
8. What does Tuck remember from his youth that helps him steer the boat on the way to Alualu?
9. When Tuck is praising the student for being cautious when a visitor arrives to see Tuck during his recuperation, what does Tuck tell the student that Tuck's momma always used to say?
10. Immediately after Tuck boards the plane, what does his companion do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the course of the novel, several of the Shark People's traditions are described. In fact, these traditions and rituals become central to the story, and are used by the Curtises to control the native people. Identify at least three different traditions of the Shark People that impacted the plot and the lives of the characters involved in the story. For each instance, describe the ritual, the characters involved, and how the tradition impacted the story's plot. How might the story have been different if these traditions had not been a part of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
The entire story takes place primarily in three different locations. Compare the following locations in the story: Alualu, Truk, and the United States. Discuss how the characters are treated in each of these locations as well as how they live and interact with each other. Of these three locations in the story, which location would you most prefer to live and why?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the characteristics, roles, loyalties, and agendas of the following people in the story: Tucker Case, Mary Jean Dobbins, Jake Skye, Beth Curtis, Malink, and Sebastian Curtis.
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)