|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Vincent first meets Malink, what does Malink carry with him as the children approach Vincent and his crew?
2. How many Japanese ships did Vincent and his crew sink before the Sky Priestess was shot by a Japanese destroyer?
3. As Tuck sleeps after surviving the typhoon, what wakes him from his slumber?
4. How many missions did Vincent successfully fly in the Sky Priestess?
5. When Tuck arrives in Truk, how much money does the cabbie agree to drive Tuck into town for?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Tuck is about to be killed in the plane crash, what does the voice he hears say to him?
2. What does Tuck liken watching the sharks circle the boat to?
3. What is the only real joy that Sarapul has left in life?
4. Immediately after Tuck boards the plane, what does his companion do?
5. As the emergency crews race after Tuck's plane when he crash-lands at the airport, the fireman notes that there is not enough fire. What does this statement signify?
6. After Tuck and Kimi run out of water, what does Tuck pass the time by doing?
7. Why does the Sorcerer send instructions for his stranded pilot to head to Yap?
8. What does the pilot do when he misses the ship in Yap?
9. How does the girl from the hotel bar respond when Tuck admits he shouldn't fly because he's a little drunk?
10. According to Tuck, where do almost all of his missteps begin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is no doubt that Tucker Case has been greatly affected by the plane crash and his resulting injuries. Discuss how Tuck's experiences affect his confidence levels, his world outlook, and his ability to interact with those around him. How do his experiences help or hinder Tuck?
Essay Topic 2
Sebastian Curtis wears different masks in the story. Both an evil doctor and a "Sorcerer," Sebastian has different personas to maintain. Identify, then compare the personas that Sebastian employs. What tricks does Sebastian use to keep his personas straight and avoid detection? Why is it necessary for Sebastian to wear different masks?
Essay Topic 3
Beth Curtis is a woman who is supremely confident. Identify at least three instances from the story that highlight her confidence. How is Beth helped by her utter confidence? How is she hurt by her confidence? Provide examples of each.
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)