|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Tuck's visitor drives Tuck to the airport, how long have the two been friends for?
2. How many Japanese ships did Vincent and his crew sink before the Sky Priestess was shot by a Japanese destroyer?
3. How old was Kimi when he was purchased from his mother?
4. When Tuck arrives at the dock, what country is the naval intelligence man he meets from?
5. How long after Tuck and Kimi begin bailing again do the sharks finally depart?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Sorcerer send instructions for his stranded pilot to head to Yap?
2. Why does the telegram Tuck receives in his hotel room refer to staphylococci and research?
3. How does Tuck's visitor explain the screams coming from the men's restroom at the airport to the security guards who rush in?
4. How does Sarapul respond when Kimi accuses Sarapul of eating Roberto?
5. When Tuck finally had enough hours in the Lear, why did Mary Jean turn full-time piloting duties over to Tuck instead of continuing to fly the plane herself?
6. Immediately after Tuck boards the plane, what does his companion do?
7. As Dr. Case explains the ground rules to Tuck, why does Sebastian insist that Tuck never drink alcohol?
8. When Tuck is praising the student for being cautious when a visitor arrives to see Tuck during his recuperation, what does Tuck tell the student that Tuck's momma always used to say?
9. According to Tuck's visitor, why does Tuck need to board the plane and leave the country?
10. What is the only real joy that Sarapul has left in life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In many ways, the novel is a series of contrasts designed to heighten the reader's awareness and draw the reader deeper into the story and the intricacies of each of the story's characters. Identify at least three contrasts that are used in the novel. Describe these contrasts and determine how they impact the story's plot, as well as the reader's emotional involvement in the characters' lives. If these identified contrasts were not included in the story, what impact would their absence have on the storyline, the characters' development, and the readers' involvement?
Essay Topic 2
The entire story takes place primarily in three different locations. Compare the following locations in the story: Alualu, Truk, and the United States. Discuss how the characters are treated in each of these locations as well as how they live and interact with each other. Of these three locations in the story, which location would you most prefer to live and why?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses several different literary techniques as the story is told in regard to the story's flow. Describe the techniques of both flashbacks and foreshadowing. How are each of these techniques used in the story? Give specific examples of each technique. Why might the author have chosen to use both of these techniques in the story? Was the story enhanced by the use of these two techniques?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)