|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much is the civil suit Meadow files for?
2. When the native pinches Tuck's cheek, what does the native say?
3. How many missions did Vincent successfully fly in the Sky Priestess?
4. As Tuck's visitor drives Tuck to the airport, how long have the two been friends for?
5. What does the ship's crew call Jefferson when he arrives at the ship's railing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jefferson Pardee need to find a new lead story for his paper?
2. When Tuck is praising the student for being cautious when a visitor arrives to see Tuck during his recuperation, what does Tuck tell the student that Tuck's momma always used to say?
3. How does Tuck's visitor explain the screams coming from the men's restroom at the airport to the security guards who rush in?
4. When Vincent first sees the Sky Priestess, what does he say to his crew?
5. As Dr. Case explains the ground rules to Tuck, why does Sebastian insist that Tuck never drink alcohol?
6. According to Sarapul, where did navigators rank in the old days?
7. Why had Sarapul been permanently banished from the Shark People's village?
8. Immediately after Tuck boards the plane, what does his companion do?
9. As Tuck is about to be killed in the plane crash, what does the voice he hears say to him?
10. How does the girl from the hotel bar respond when Tuck admits he shouldn't fly because he's a little drunk?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is no doubt that Tucker Case has been greatly affected by the plane crash and his resulting injuries. Discuss how Tuck's experiences affect his confidence levels, his world outlook, and his ability to interact with those around him. How do his experiences help or hinder Tuck?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the course of the novel, several of the Shark People's traditions are described. In fact, these traditions and rituals become central to the story, and are used by the Curtises to control the native people. Identify at least three different traditions of the Shark People that impacted the plot and the lives of the characters involved in the story. For each instance, describe the ritual, the characters involved, and how the tradition impacted the story's plot. How might the story have been different if these traditions had not been a part of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Planning is an essential part of the story for several characters, as well as for the author to ensure that his plot moves forward. Identify instances in which Sebastian Curtis and Tucker Case plan for their final actions. Identify instances in which each of these men fails to plan well. What is revealed about each of these characters through their ability, or lack thereof, to plan? How is the strength of the author revealed in his ability to have his characters adequately plan?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)