|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Tuck finally gets out of bed and moves around the bungalow, how many pounds has Tuck lost?
2. What is the name of the person who bought Kimi from Kimi's mother?
3. What position at Mary Jean's company does Tuck's visitor hold?
4. Until Tuck's plane crash, how many years had Mary Jane successfully run her company without a hint of scandal?
5. What business is Mary Jean in?
Short Essay Questions
1. Immediately after Tuck boards the plane, what does his companion do?
2. Why is Tuck hung in a tree by the island natives?
3. Why is the Sorcerer so upset with the pilot in regard to the pilot's travel plans?
4. As Tuck recuperates, he ponders religion. What did Tuck grow up believing that religion was?
5. Why does Sarapul hate the Japanese guards on the island so much?
6. What does Tuck remember from his youth that helps him steer the boat on the way to Alualu?
7. Why does the telegram Tuck receives in his hotel room refer to staphylococci and research?
8. How does Tuck's visitor explain the screams coming from the men's restroom at the airport to the security guards who rush in?
9. When Vincent first sees the Sky Priestess, what does he say to his crew?
10. According to Sarapul, where did navigators rank in the old days?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine how the character of Tucker Case changes as the story progresses. Be sure to include your assessment of his character when he is first introduced in the story, when he is forced to leave America, when he realizes the extent of the Curtises actions, and when he flies the natives to Costa Rica. Use examples from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the course of the novel, several of the Shark People's traditions are described. In fact, these traditions and rituals become central to the story, and are used by the Curtises to control the native people. Identify at least three different traditions of the Shark People that impacted the plot and the lives of the characters involved in the story. For each instance, describe the ritual, the characters involved, and how the tradition impacted the story's plot. How might the story have been different if these traditions had not been a part of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
There is no doubt that Tucker Case has been greatly affected by the plane crash and his resulting injuries. Discuss how Tuck's experiences affect his confidence levels, his world outlook, and his ability to interact with those around him. How do his experiences help or hinder Tuck?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)