|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does it take to make a canoe trip around The Island of the Blue Dolphins?
2. What does Karana do to pass the time during the winter that the Aleuts are on the island?
3. Why does Karana attempt to catch a devilfish?
4. What does the pack leader do when he exits the cave?
5. What is Karana making for Rontu?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Karana considers her yard a happy place?
2. How do Karana and Tutok spend their time together?
3. What does Karana discover in Black Cave on the southern coast of the island that frightens her?
4. Where does Karana make a grave for Rontu and what does she place on it?
5. Karana makes several trips to her cave during the day to move all her belongings. On the final trip, she has a feeling someone has been there. What happens?
6. Compare Rontu with his son, Rontu-Aru.
7. Karana survives the tidal waves and returns to the headland. What happens when Rontu-Aru greets her?
8. In case the Aleuts returned to the island, Karana repairs the canoe for a fast escape. What alterations does she make to the canoe to make it more manageable for her size?
9. Explain what happens when Rontu fights the two wild dogs on the sea cliff.
10. Summarize Karana's feelings toward the animals on the island
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Analyze the character of Karana.
2) How is she depicted by O'Dell?
3) How do her own words and actions reveal what type of character she is?
4) What do her relationships with her brother Ramo, and her animal friends reveal about her character?
Essay Topic 2
1) Outline the important events of Karana's life on the island.
2) Describe how she comes to be stranded on the island.
3) Describe what her courses of action are to survive on the island.
4) Describe how she copes with loneliness.
5) Explain why and how she leaves the island.
Essay Topic 3
1) Discuss how Karana grows as a character from the beginning of the novel to the end.
2) How do her attitudes change toward the wild dogs?
3) How do her feelings change toward the Aleuts?
4) How do her feelings toward life on the island differ from the beginning to the end of the novel?
This section contains 937 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)