|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does it take to make a canoe trip around The Island of the Blue Dolphins?
2. Without chores to be done in early summer, what do Karana and Rontu do?
3. How does the island seem to Karana after Tutok leaves?
4. Why is one of the birds named Tainor?
5. What does Karana see the gulls dropping on the rocks?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Karana do with the young, wounded otter she finds after the Aleutian ship departs?
2. Summarize Karana's feelings toward the animals on the island
3. What does Karana discover in Black Cave on the southern coast of the island that frightens her?
4. What does Karana do after she tracks the injured pack leader, finding him immobile on the ground?
5. Explain why Karana considers her yard a happy place?
6. How do Karana and Tutok spend their time together?
7. What method does Karana use to get the wild dogs out of their lair so she can kill them? How effective is it?
8. Karana survives the tidal waves and returns to the headland. What happens when Rontu-Aru greets her?
9. Compare Rontu with his son, Rontu-Aru.
10. What does Karana do after the Aleut girl finds her and Rontu at the cave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Discuss how Karana grows as a character from the beginning of the novel to the end.
2) How do her attitudes change toward the wild dogs?
3) How do her feelings change toward the Aleuts?
4) How do her feelings toward life on the island differ from the beginning to the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
1) Evaluate the elements of cause and effect in this story using examples from the novel.
2) Choose three events from the story which then cause Karana's life to undergo a change.
3) How does she react to the events and their effects?
Essay Topic 3
1) Examine what it means to be a member of Chief Chowig's tribe.
2) What characteristics distinguish tribal life on Ghalas-at?
3) What problems do the villagers face? How do they show pride and courage?
4) Back up the answers with examples from the story.
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)