|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a sai-sai?
2. How does Karana describe her brother's eyes?
3. What is a law in Ghalas-at?
4. What is the decision of Chief Kimki?
5. What is the law Karana's father tells her about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Ramo decides to go to where the canoes are hidden and bring one back to Coral Cove, so he and Karana can fish and look around the island. What happens when he goes on this mission?
2. Why is Karana angry with the Aleuts for hunting the sea otters?
3. Karana cannot sleep the night before she decides to hunt sea elephants. What does she think about as she lies awake during the night?
4. After the tribe recovers the school of white bass that are stranded on the rocky ledge, two of the Aleuts come to ask for some. What does Chief Chowig tell them?
5. After Karana finishes building her home, she decides it is time to kill the wild dogs on the island. What does she need to do the job?
6. When there were people in Ghalas-at, Karana would be up before sunrise and busy with many things. What does she do now that she is the only person on the island?
7. When Karana goes to the spring to gather more water in her baskets, she seeks refuge from the wild dogs in a cave. She plans to turn the cave into another house. What does she do to the cave to make it habitable?
8. Why isn't the autumn and winter peaceful in Ghalas-at, even though there is plenty of food for everyone?
9. Does Chief Chowig accept the black chest of beads as full payment from Captain Orlov and the Aleuts? Explain.
10. How do the people of the Ghalas-at village know when the Aleutians are planning to leave the island?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The story takes place on a remote island off the southern coast of California.
1) How does this setting affect Karana's situation and experiences?
2) How does living on the island affect the final resolution?
3) What does the setting symbolize in Karana's life?
Essay Topic 2
1) Summarize the survival skills Karana develops.
2) Include her methods of constructing and building her shelters.
3) How does she find and prepare food?
4) How does she tame animals?
5) What are her fishing methods?
Essay Topic 3
1) Outline the important events of Karana's life on the island.
2) Describe how she comes to be stranded on the island.
3) Describe what her courses of action are to survive on the island.
4) Describe how she copes with loneliness.
5) Explain why and how she leaves the island.
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)