|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does each person of Ghalas-at have two names?
2. Why don't Ulape and Karana throw rocks at the Aleuts from the cliff?
3. What was the problem the tribe encountered when Captain Mitriff came to the village to hunt years before?
4. Why is Karana constructing shelves in the rock face?
5. Why does Chief Chowig advise the people not to visit the Aleut's camp?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why the ship won't turn back toward the island so that Ramo can come on board?
2. How do the men of Ghalas-at village react when the Aleut ship sails into Coral Cove?
3. Karana cannot sleep the night before she decides to hunt sea elephants. What does she think about as she lies awake during the night?
4. Does Chief Chowig accept the black chest of beads as full payment from Captain Orlov and the Aleuts? Explain.
5. After the tribe recovers the school of white bass that are stranded on the rocky ledge, two of the Aleuts come to ask for some. What does Chief Chowig tell them?
6. After Karana finishes building her home, she decides it is time to kill the wild dogs on the island. What does she need to do the job?
7. Summarize the description Karana gives of the Island of the Blue Dolphins?
8. Overcome with fear that her brother will be abandoned on the island, what does Karana do? What is the outcome?
9. How does Karana get sea elephant teeth for her spear points?
10. Who is aboard the ship that arrives at Ghalas-at island? What do they want with the villagers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Give three examples from the novel when Karana proves her selflessness and loyalty to a family member.
2) Summarize the events leading up to each example.
3) Analyze the consequences of each of Karana's selfless acts.
Essay Topic 2
1) Evaluate the relationship between Karana and Rontu.
2) How do their attitudes change toward one another throughout the novel?
3) Explain how they become a true family.
4) Give examples from the story of how they rely on one another.
Essay Topic 3
1) Explain the belief by the tribe of Ghalas-at with regard to women hunting.
2) How does this belief affect Karana when she is stranded on the island?
3) What are her feelings toward the belief?
4) In what way is Karana justified in her reaction to the Ghalas-at belief?
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)