|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does a white puff of smoke come from?
2. Why have white men come to the Island of the Blue Dolphins?
3. What does the shape of the island resemble when a person stands on a rise in the middle?
4. Why is a new house necessary?
5. When the wild dogs are heard barking, who is being attacked?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why the ship won't turn back toward the island so that Ramo can come on board?
2. Why didn't Karana want to return to the Island of the Blue Dolphins after her canoe starts to leak?
3. What events take place after Chief Chowig demands the rest of the chests be brought to shore before the otter pelts are loaded onto the ship?
4. Does Chief Chowig accept the black chest of beads as full payment from Captain Orlov and the Aleuts? Explain.
5. Describe what happens when Karana goes hunting sea elephants. Does she manage to kill one?
6. Explain the image Karana uses to describe Roma's eyes.
7. Why isn't the autumn and winter peaceful in Ghalas-at, even though there is plenty of food for everyone?
8. What fills Karana with happiness the morning after she returns to the island in the leaking canoe?
9. Karana leaves the island in one of the hidden canoes. She is forced to turn back to the island after the canoe starts to leak badly. On the way back, she has two good fortunes. Describe what these good fortunes are.
10. What does Karana do after she discovers Roma's lifeless body?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Summarize the survival skills Karana develops.
2) Include her methods of constructing and building her shelters.
3) How does she find and prepare food?
4) How does she tame animals?
5) What are her fishing methods?
Essay Topic 2
1) Give three examples from the novel when Karana proves her selflessness and loyalty to a family member.
2) Summarize the events leading up to each example.
3) Analyze the consequences of each of Karana's selfless acts.
Essay Topic 3
1) Explain the belief by the tribe of Ghalas-at with regard to women hunting.
2) How does this belief affect Karana when she is stranded on the island?
3) What are her feelings toward the belief?
4) In what way is Karana justified in her reaction to the Ghalas-at belief?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)