|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Rontu doing on days Karana works on the canoe?
(a) Running with the dog pack
(b) Chasing pelicans on the beach
(c) Sleeping back at the house
(d) Watching Karana from the cliff
2. As Karana watches Rontu from a short distance, what is she seeing?
(a) Storm-force winds killing hundreds of gulls
(b) A two-on-one dog fight to the death
(c) The Aleuts beating one of their crew mates
(d) Darkness closing fast
3. Which one of the Aleuts is Karana afraid will find her?
(a) One of the Aleut hunters
(b) The Aleut captain
(c) The Aleut girl
(d) The Aleut dog
4. Where is Karana going to spend the night after the reef incident?
(a) Her house
(b) In a cave above the reef
(c) In the ravine by the spring water
(d) Her canoe
5. What does Karana do with the yellow, wild dog after she catches him?
(a) She ties him in the yard, giving him food and water.
(b) She fashions a muzzle for him, so he won't bite her.
(c) She ties his legs together to prevent him from running away.
(d) She makes a cage to keep him in.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Karana do after the first tidal wave strikes?
2. What does Karana take after the incident before leaving the reef?
3. What does Karana vow about killing animals the summer she renames Mon-a-nee?
4. What does Karana think the world would be like without animals?
5. What does Karana do with the wounded sea otters that the Aleut hunters leave behind?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Karana do after she tracks the injured pack leader, finding him immobile on the ground?
2. What happens to Karena on the very hot day after the winter storms when she takes the canoe to paddle around the reef?
3. What does Karana see while she is out looking for supplies to fix her canoe, and what is her reaction?
4. What happens after Karana spears the giant devilfish?
5. Other than training the birds, how does Karana pass the time throughout the spring?
6. Compare Rontu with his son, Rontu-Aru.
7. After two summers alone on the island, Karana sees the Aleut ship heading toward the island. How does she prepare for her move to the hidden cave she had set up in case the Aleuts returned?
8. What method does Karana use to get the wild dogs out of their lair so she can kill them? How effective is it?
9. Where does Karana make a grave for Rontu and what does she place on it?
10. What does Karana discover in Black Cave on the southern coast of the island that frightens her?
This section contains 1,005 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)