|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Karana do when she no longer hears the man from the ship calling to her?
(a) She lights a signal fire.
(b) She pounds her fists on the ground and cries.
(c) She laughs because she wanted the man to leave.
(d) She begins to run toward where the man had been, shouting to him.
2. Why does Karana not use her arrows to help Rontu in the meadow?
(a) She has lost all but two.
(b) The gulls will swarm and kill her.
(c) The Aleuts are out of range.
(d) Rontu has the advantage, to disrupt would only mean another fight later.
3. What does Karana do when she sees Tutok turning away and leaving through the brush?
(a) Karana smiles, glad that Tutok is leaving.
(b) Karana quietly hides in the bushes.
(c) Karana throws a spear at Tutok.
(d) Karana jumps to her feet, runs down the ravine, and calls Tutok's name.
4. Which one of the Aleuts is Karana afraid will find her?
(a) The Aleut girl
(b) The Aleut dog
(c) The Aleut captain
(d) One of the Aleut hunters
5. What does Karana see as she gathers supplies to repair her canoe?
(a) Three blue dolphins jumping out of the water
(b) The wild dogs circling her home
(c) The sail of a ship
(d) A devil fish
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Karana place in Rontu's grave?
2. What does Karana see in the early morning light at the Aleut camp?
3. How does Karana know Spring has come?
4. How long does it take to make a canoe trip around The Island of the Blue Dolphins?
5. What does Karana do with the wounded sea otters that the Aleut hunters leave behind?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Karana feel now that Tutok has gone away?
2. What method does Karana use to get the wild dogs out of their lair so she can kill them? How effective is it?
3. What does Karana do with the young, wounded otter she finds after the Aleutian ship departs?
4. Karana watches for Tutok from a brushy ledge the morning after finding the necklace. What does Karana do when Tutok arrives, then turns to leave when she sees that Karana has not taken the necklace?
5. Explain what happens when Rontu fights the two wild dogs on the sea cliff.
6. Karana makes several trips to her cave during the day to move all her belongings. On the final trip, she has a feeling someone has been there. What happens?
7. What is Karana worried about when she takes her new spear to go and hunt devilfish?
8. How do the gulls open the scallops shells to eat the meat inside?
9. What does Karana do when she finds Rontu lying in the back of the lair in which he once lived?
10. Karana survives the tidal waves and returns to the headland. What happens when Rontu-Aru greets her?
This section contains 1,022 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)