|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the number of men in the Ghalas-at tribe change suddenly?
(a) Many choose to leave the village and follow Captain Orlov.
(b) Many choose to leave the village with Chief Chowig.
(c) Many are killed in battle.
(d) There is constant arguing and unrest among the villagers.
2. What is the decision of Chief Kimki?
(a) A squad of men will row to Santa Catalina immediately.
(b) Every villager is assigned a task and the women become hunters.
(c) The newly-made skin canoes are not to be used yet.
(d) A large feast will be held to celebrate the good fortune of Ghalas-at.
3. How do the sea otters affect humans?
(a) They are valuable to the Aleuts as a source for lamp oil.
(b) They are a nuisance to successful fishing close to shore.
(c) They are valuable to the Aleuts because of their thick, beautiful pelts.
(d) They are valuable as a food source.
4. Why does Ramo get up in the darkness and leave Ghalas-at alone?
(a) To surprise Karana by preparing the morning meal fit for a new chief
(b) To hunt the wild dogs
(c) To get a canoe hidden in Coral Cove
(d) He is angry with Karana
5. What does Karana fear if she violates the laws of Ghalas-at?
(a) She alone will have to leave the village
(b) She will be flogged in the center of the village
(c) She and her family will have to leave the village
(d) A wind storm, an earthquake, or tidal wave will destroy the village
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the reason for a fence at the new house?
2. Why is Karana searching the beach sand at Coral Cove?
3. Why did the Russians come to Coral Cove?
4. What is Karana following across the small hills and a valley, club in hand?
5. Even the smallest stored canoe is too heavy to lift, so what is Karana's solution?
Short Essay Questions
1. What fills Karana with happiness the morning after she returns to the island in the leaking canoe?
2. What does Karana do after she discovers Roma's lifeless body?
3. How does Karana build a fence to protect her from the wild dogs?
4. Explain the image Karana uses to describe Roma's eyes.
5. How do the people of the Ghalas-at village know when the Aleutians are planning to leave the island?
6. How does Karana get sea elephant teeth for her spear points?
7. After Karana finishes building her home, she decides it is time to kill the wild dogs on the island. What does she need to do the job?
8. How does Karana describe the Aleutian ship as it nears the island?
9. How do the sea elephants help Karana decide where to build her new home?
10. Does Chief Chowig accept the black chest of beads as full payment from Captain Orlov and the Aleuts? Explain.
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)