|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Ramo want to go back to Ghalas-at?
(a) Because Kimka tells him to get more fresh water for the voyage
(b) He is afraid.
(c) Because Karana tells him to get valuable seal skins to sell later.
(d) To get his fishing spear
2. What does Karana do in the cave?
(a) Makes it into a new home
(b) Fills the second opening with many stones
(c) Sharpens the weapons
(d) Waits for the storms to end
3. What is the decision of Chief Kimki?
(a) The newly-made skin canoes are not to be used yet.
(b) Every villager is assigned a task and the women become hunters.
(c) A squad of men will row to Santa Catalina immediately.
(d) A large feast will be held to celebrate the good fortune of Ghalas-at.
4. Which utensil Karana is making?
(a) A wooden spoon
(b) A kelp screen for a strainer
(c) Tongs for cooking on the open fire
(d) A stone cooking pan
5. What is the captain's name from the Aleutian ship?
(a) Captain Orlov
(b) Captain Ghalas
(c) Captain Aleut
(d) Captain Mitriff
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the name, Island of the Blue Dolphins, possibly originate?
2. What is it Karana makes after many tries?
3. Who is the reason someone jumps overboard?
4. Why is Karana leaving the raging battle of sea elephants?
5. Why is Karana searching the beach sand at Coral Cove?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Karana goes to the spring to gather more water in her baskets, she seeks refuge from the wild dogs in a cave. She plans to turn the cave into another house. What does she do to the cave to make it habitable?
2. How does Karana get sea elephant teeth for her spear points?
3. Describe the preparations the people of the village make in case the Aleuts return and they have to escape?
4. Why didn't Karana want to return to the Island of the Blue Dolphins after her canoe starts to leak?
5. Does Chief Chowig accept the black chest of beads as full payment from Captain Orlov and the Aleuts? Explain.
6. Karana moves her home to a high rock ledge, but the wild dogs continue to circle below. She decides to go against the tribe's taboo about women making weapons. What does she fear will happen if she makes the weapons?
7. Summarize the description Karana gives of the Island of the Blue Dolphins?
8. Who is aboard the ship that arrives at Ghalas-at island? What do they want with the villagers?
9. Overcome with fear that her brother will be abandoned on the island, what does Karana do? What is the outcome?
10. Karana leaves the island in one of the hidden canoes. She is forced to turn back to the island after the canoe starts to leak badly. On the way back, she has two good fortunes. Describe what these good fortunes are.
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)