|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Karana need to leave the shelter after five days?
(a) To watch for the ship
(b) The fence is broken
(c) To gather some food
(d) To go to the spring
2. Why does the night watchman sound the alarm in the village?
(a) Chief Kimka is paddling toward the Island of the Blue Dolphins.
(b) There are men and a cook fire on the beach.
(c) He sees by the dawning light what he thinks is an Aleut ship.
(d) Wild dogs are ravaging the scarce food supply.
3. Where does a white puff of smoke come from?
(a) An Aleut bonfire on the beach
(b) A fire the villagers make on the cliffs
(c) Burning the hollow log
(d) Cannon fire by the Aleut ship
4. Why does each person of Ghalas-at have two names?
(a) The real name is only for family and the other for everyone else.
(b) One name is for visitors and the other for tribe use.
(c) One name is a birth name and never used. The other is a magic name.
(d) The real name is secret so it doesn't lose its magic, and the other is the common name.
5. What is Karana using to make a fence?
(a) Whale bones
Short Answer Questions
1. Why have white men come to the Island of the Blue Dolphins?
2. Why are the male sea elephants sitting separate from each other?
3. As a storm rages for six days, what is Karana doing?
4. What is the law Karana's father tells her about?
5. What was the problem the tribe encountered when Captain Mitriff came to the village to hunt years before?
Short Essay Questions
1. Karana leaves the island in one of the hidden canoes. She is forced to turn back to the island after the canoe starts to leak badly. On the way back, she has two good fortunes. Describe what these good fortunes are.
2. Who is aboard the ship that arrives at Ghalas-at island? What do they want with the villagers?
3. After two more years, a ship returns to Coral Cove. What does Karana do when she sees the ship?
4. Does Chief Chowig accept the black chest of beads as full payment from Captain Orlov and the Aleuts? Explain.
5. How does Karana describe the Aleutian ship as it nears the island?
6. Why isn't the autumn and winter peaceful in Ghalas-at, even though there is plenty of food for everyone?
7. Karana moves her home to a high rock ledge, but the wild dogs continue to circle below. She decides to go against the tribe's taboo about women making weapons. What does she fear will happen if she makes the weapons?
8. Karana survives the tidal waves and returns to the headland. What happens when Rontu-Aru greets her?
9. After the tribe recovers the school of white bass that are stranded on the rocky ledge, two of the Aleuts come to ask for some. What does Chief Chowig tell them?
10. Why is Karana angry with the Aleuts for hunting the sea otters?
This section contains 1,016 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)