|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the villagers fear?
(a) Losing to wreckage the few remaining skin canoes
(b) The raging sea storms from the south.
(c) Return of the Aleuts
(d) The water springs flooding parts of the village.
2. When the wild dogs are heard barking, who is being attacked?
(b) Children of the Ghalas-at village
(d) Chief of The Island of the Blue Dolphins
3. What is slowing the construction of the house?
(a) Wild dogs
(b) Scarcity of useful wood
(c) Need to keep watch for ships
(d) Constant need to hunt for food
4. Why did Ramo want to go back to Ghalas-at?
(a) Because Kimka tells him to get more fresh water for the voyage
(b) He is afraid.
(c) Because Karana tells him to get valuable seal skins to sell later.
(d) To get his fishing spear
5. What is the reason Karana believes her father is defeated by Captain Orlov.
(a) He trusts Captain Orlov and allows the lead hunter to pass by him.
(b) He asks Captain Orlov for help carrying the black chest up the cliff.
(c) He is weakened because he tells his secret name to Captain Orlov.
(d) He accepts one chest as payment.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Chief Chowig advise the people not to visit the Aleut's camp?
2. What is the captain's name from the Aleutian ship?
3. Who does Karana vow to kill as she sits awake all night?
4. Who is leaving alone in a skin canoe?
5. What is Karana using to make a fence?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the preparations the people of the village make in case the Aleuts return and they have to escape?
2. Overcome with fear that her brother will be abandoned on the island, what does Karana do? What is the outcome?
3. Karana leaves the island in one of the hidden canoes. She is forced to turn back to the island after the canoe starts to leak badly. On the way back, she has two good fortunes. Describe what these good fortunes are.
4. Karana moves her home to a high rock ledge, but the wild dogs continue to circle below. She decides to go against the tribe's taboo about women making weapons. What does she fear will happen if she makes the weapons?
5. Why didn't Karana want to return to the Island of the Blue Dolphins after her canoe starts to leak?
6. How do the sea elephants help Karana decide where to build her new home?
7. Summarize the description Karana gives of the Island of the Blue Dolphins?
8. Why is Karana angry with the Aleuts for hunting the sea otters?
9. After the tribe recovers the school of white bass that are stranded on the rocky ledge, two of the Aleuts come to ask for some. What does Chief Chowig tell them?
10. Explain why the ship won't turn back toward the island so that Ramo can come on board?
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)