|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who vainly packs earrings and blue clay into the luggage?
(b) The Girl with the Long Black Hair
2. What is the final deal that Chief Chowig accepts from Captain Orlov?
(a) Equal parts of the hunting catch
(b) Three parts for the Chief and one part for Captain Orlov
(c) Payment in gold for hunting off the coast of Coral Cove
(d) One quarter of the catch
3. What does Karana see in the cave?
(a) Weapons from long ago
(b) Bones of previous inhabitants
(c) Markings of a huge fire long ago
(d) Stone cuts of animals carved on the walls
4. Why do the villagers need an escape plan?
(a) The increase of serious storms is making the island unlivable.
(b) The supplies of food and water are now inadequate.
(c) They must leave the Island of the Blue Dolphins if the Aleuts return.
(d) The villagers cannot climb down the cliffs.
5. Why are the male sea elephants sitting separate from each other?
(a) They are bad-tempered, jealous, and quick to fight.
(b) They need plenty of space to sleep in the sunshine
(c) To protect the herd community from every direction
(d) To encourage the female to mate
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the only thing that makes Karana sad?
2. What is the reason Karana believes her father is defeated by Captain Orlov.
3. Who is the reason someone jumps overboard?
4. What awaits Karana upon her return to the cave?
5. Why does the night watchman sound the alarm in the village?
Short Essay Questions
1. After the tribe recovers the school of white bass that are stranded on the rocky ledge, two of the Aleuts come to ask for some. What does Chief Chowig tell them?
2. When there were people in Ghalas-at, Karana would be up before sunrise and busy with many things. What does she do now that she is the only person on the island?
3. How do the men of Ghalas-at village react when the Aleut ship sails into Coral Cove?
4. Karana leaves the island in one of the hidden canoes. She is forced to turn back to the island after the canoe starts to leak badly. On the way back, she has two good fortunes. Describe what these good fortunes are.
5. Why isn't the autumn and winter peaceful in Ghalas-at, even though there is plenty of food for everyone?
6. Why didn't Karana want to return to the Island of the Blue Dolphins after her canoe starts to leak?
7. How does Karana describe the Aleutian ship as it nears the island?
8. Explain the image Karana uses to describe Roma's eyes.
9. Karana cannot sleep the night before she decides to hunt sea elephants. What does she think about as she lies awake during the night?
10. After Karana finishes building her home, she decides it is time to kill the wild dogs on the island. What does she need to do the job?
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)