|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the law Karana's father tells her about?
(a) Women are not allowed to make weapons.
(b) The sea gods constantly watch The Island of the Blue Dolphins.
(c) No hunting allowed on a full moon night
(d) Fish food should never be allowed to spoil.
2. Why is a new house necessary?
(a) The wild dogs are becoming too aggressive.
(b) Ramo now needs a house of his own.
(c) The old house is destroyed in a storm.
(d) Karana needs better shelter from the winds and the storms.
3. Where does a white puff of smoke come from?
(a) A fire the villagers make on the cliffs
(b) Burning the hollow log
(c) Cannon fire by the Aleut ship
(d) An Aleut bonfire on the beach
4. What are the beds of kelp close to the shore used for?
(a) Sea otters use the kelp to lie in the sun and sleep.
(b) The kelp causes the sea otters to swim far from shore.
(c) The kelp often attracts the dolphins to swim closer to shore
(d) They provide food for Ghalas-at village when fishing is poor
5. What are the things that make the first day of house building a good omen?
(a) The pleasant smells of the tidal pools, the wild grasses, and the sand plants
(b) There are supplies on hand.
(c) Wild dogs have not been seen for days.
(d) Ramo is very eager to work.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a sai-sai?
2. What is the captain's name from the Aleutian ship?
3. Who is leaving alone in a skin canoe?
4. What is Karana's decision about her future?
5. What is it that is now making Karana feel happy?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the sea elephants help Karana decide where to build her new home?
2. Karana moves her home to a high rock ledge, but the wild dogs continue to circle below. She decides to go against the tribe's taboo about women making weapons. What does she fear will happen if she makes the weapons?
3. When Karana goes to the spring to gather more water in her baskets, she seeks refuge from the wild dogs in a cave. She plans to turn the cave into another house. What does she do to the cave to make it habitable?
4. Does Chief Chowig accept the black chest of beads as full payment from Captain Orlov and the Aleuts? Explain.
5. How does Karana get sea elephant teeth for her spear points?
6. Why isn't the autumn and winter peaceful in Ghalas-at, even though there is plenty of food for everyone?
7. Ramo decides to go to where the canoes are hidden and bring one back to Coral Cove, so he and Karana can fish and look around the island. What happens when he goes on this mission?
8. What does Karana do after she discovers Roma's lifeless body?
9. What is the emotional state of the villagers after losing so many men in the battle with the Aleuts?
10. How does Karana describe the Aleutian ship as it nears the island?
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)