|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Karana need to hunt wild dogs?
(a) Several snares
(b) Poison sticks
(c) Decaying bird flesh
(d) Larger bow and sharper arrows
2. What is a reason Karana delays her shot at the sea elephant?
(a) Two bulls are rushing toward her.
(b) The cows are obstructing her shot.
(c) She does not know where to put the first arrow.
(d) The cows sound an alarm from the water.
3. Why is a new house necessary?
(a) The wild dogs are becoming too aggressive.
(b) The old house is destroyed in a storm.
(c) Ramo now needs a house of his own.
(d) Karana needs better shelter from the winds and the storms.
4. What is a law in Ghalas-at?
(a) None are permitted to leave Ghalas-at after dark.
(b) All must participate in the yearly sea otter hunt.
(c) Women of the tribe cannot make weapons.
(d) Men of the tribe distribute the cooked food.
5. What is the captain's name from the Aleutian ship?
(a) Captain Mitriff
(b) Captain Ghalas
(c) Captain Orlov
(d) Captain Aleut
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Karana following across the small hills and a valley, club in hand?
2. What are the things that make the first day of house building a good omen?
3. Why have white men come to the Island of the Blue Dolphins?
4. What does Karana realize is happening while she is paddling the canoe?
5. Why did the Russians come to Coral Cove?
Short Essay Questions
1. When there were people in Ghalas-at, Karana would be up before sunrise and busy with many things. What does she do now that she is the only person on the island?
2. How does Karana describe the Aleutian ship as it nears the island?
3. Summarize the description Karana gives of the Island of the Blue Dolphins?
4. Explain why the ship won't turn back toward the island so that Ramo can come on board?
5. Why didn't Karana want to return to the Island of the Blue Dolphins after her canoe starts to leak?
6. What does Karana do after she discovers Roma's lifeless body?
7. How do the sea elephants help Karana decide where to build her new home?
8. When Karana goes to the spring to gather more water in her baskets, she seeks refuge from the wild dogs in a cave. She plans to turn the cave into another house. What does she do to the cave to make it habitable?
9. How does Karana build a fence to protect her from the wild dogs?
10. How many men come in the Aleut ship under the command of Captain Orlov. What do they want from the people of Ghalas-at village?
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)