|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the Aleuts act as they prepare to leave the island?
(a) They hate Captain Orlov and refuse to follow his directions.
(b) They are laughing as if they are happy to leave the island.
(c) They do not carry weapons of any kind while on the beach.
(d) They empty one of the six chests.
2. What are the things that make the first day of house building a good omen?
(a) Ramo is very eager to work.
(b) There are supplies on hand.
(c) Wild dogs have not been seen for days.
(d) The pleasant smells of the tidal pools, the wild grasses, and the sand plants
3. What is a reason Karana delays her shot at the sea elephant?
(a) She does not know where to put the first arrow.
(b) Two bulls are rushing toward her.
(c) The cows sound an alarm from the water.
(d) The cows are obstructing her shot.
4. What does the young male do that starts a fight?
(a) Takes another's spot in the sunshine
(b) Mates with an older cow
(c) Moves toward the cows that belong to an old bull
(d) Eats the fish that belongs to the others
5. Why is Karana putting a canoe in the water at Coral Cove?
(a) To escape from attack of the wild dogs
(b) To spear a sea elephant
(c) To spear a sea otter
(d) To flee the loneliness of The Island of the Blue Dolphins
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does each person of Ghalas-at have two names?
2. What helps Karana decide between the two possible sites for a new house?
3. Why are the headlands the better choice for a house?
4. What is the major topic of discussion about leaving Ghalas-at?
5. Why do the villagers need an escape plan?
Short Essay Questions
1. Karana leaves the island in one of the hidden canoes. She is forced to turn back to the island after the canoe starts to leak badly. On the way back, she has two good fortunes. Describe what these good fortunes are.
2. How do the gulls open the scallops shells to eat the meat inside?
3. After two more years, a ship returns to Coral Cove. What does Karana do when she sees the ship?
4. What is the emotional state of the villagers after losing so many men in the battle with the Aleuts?
5. How does Karana catch the wild dog she believes to be Rontu's son?
6. Describe what happens when Karana goes hunting sea elephants. Does she manage to kill one?
7. Explain the image Karana uses to describe Roma's eyes.
8. Does Chief Chowig accept the black chest of beads as full payment from Captain Orlov and the Aleuts? Explain.
9. Karana watches for Tutok from a brushy ledge the morning after finding the necklace. What does Karana do when Tutok arrives, then turns to leave when she sees that Karana has not taken the necklace?
10. What does Karana do after she tracks the injured pack leader, finding him immobile on the ground?
This section contains 1,021 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)