|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Karana constructing shelves in the rock face?
(a) To keep food away from gray mice
(b) Safekeeping of the valuables from the wooden trunk
(c) Storage of spear points
(d) Storage of drinking water
2. How do villagers feel about leaving the Island of the Blue Dolphin?
(a) Thankful for not starving on the island
(b) Fearful about the destination, nonetheless happy
(c) Regretful that Kimka is dead
(d) They trust their tribesman Nanko.
3. What is a sai-sai?
(a) A small fish
(b) A bland gruel made from kelp
(c) Flavorful drink made from kelp
(d) A stormy sunset
4. Why is life in the village slowed and very quiet?
(a) The water for the village is now polluted.
(b) The memory of those who are gone is a burden in the hearts of all.
(c) The food supply is quickly running down.
(d) The return of the hunters is days overdue.
5. What is the first deal that Captain Orlov offers Chief Chowig with regard to the hunting catch?
(a) He offers one part of goods to be paid to the chief and two parts for the Captain's men.
(b) He offers one quarter of the catch to the chief.
(c) He offers only to leave the village alone if they let his men hunt.
(d) He offers trinkets brought from Russia to the chief.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a law in Ghalas-at?
2. What are the things that make the first day of house building a good omen?
3. Why don't Ulape and Karana throw rocks at the Aleuts from the cliff?
4. Why doesn't Karana go to the cliff to watch and count the catch each day?
5. What does Karana compare the Aleut ship to as it comes nearer to the island?
Short Essay Questions
1. After the tribe recovers the school of white bass that are stranded on the rocky ledge, two of the Aleuts come to ask for some. What does Chief Chowig tell them?
2. What does Karana do after she discovers Roma's lifeless body?
3. Karana leaves the island in one of the hidden canoes. She is forced to turn back to the island after the canoe starts to leak badly. On the way back, she has two good fortunes. Describe what these good fortunes are.
4. Explain the image Karana uses to describe Roma's eyes.
5. Ramo decides to go to where the canoes are hidden and bring one back to Coral Cove, so he and Karana can fish and look around the island. What happens when he goes on this mission?
6. How do the people of the Ghalas-at village know when the Aleutians are planning to leave the island?
7. Does Chief Chowig accept the black chest of beads as full payment from Captain Orlov and the Aleuts? Explain.
8. Why is Karana angry with the Aleuts for hunting the sea otters?
9. Overcome with fear that her brother will be abandoned on the island, what does Karana do? What is the outcome?
10. How does Karana describe the Aleutian ship as it nears the island?
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)