|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Karana compare the Aleut ship to as it comes nearer to the island?
(a) A dolphin skimming the surface of the sea
(b) A very large canoe
(c) A gull with folded wings
(d) A red whale
2. How does Karana describe her brother's eyes?
(a) His eyes miss little. They are large and black like a lizard and often look sleepy
(b) His eyes are bright blue like the dolphins and always wide open
(c) His eyes are as green as the sea with an intelligent look
(d) His eyes are as brown as the roots that grow on the island
3. Why does Chief Chowig advise the people not to visit the Aleut's camp?
(a) He warns them that the Aleuts carry disease.
(b) He says that the Aleuts might kidnap women and children.
(c) He says that the Aleut's ways and language are not their ways
(d) He tells them that the Aleuts have powerful, evil magic.
4. Why is Karana putting a canoe in the water at Coral Cove?
(a) To spear a sea otter
(b) To spear a sea elephant
(c) To flee the loneliness of The Island of the Blue Dolphins
(d) To escape from attack of the wild dogs
5. What is the only thing that makes Karana sad?
(a) Ulape loves Nanko.
(b) Ramo disobeys her.
(c) She loses her skirt of yucca fibers.
(d) The Island of the Blue Dolphins is the only place she has ever known.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the villagers know the Aleut ship is preparing to leave?
2. Why does the number of men in the Ghalas-at tribe change suddenly?
3. Why does the night watchman sound the alarm in the village?
4. As a storm rages for six days, what is Karana doing?
5. Why did Ramo want to go back to Ghalas-at?
Short Essay Questions
1. After the tribe recovers the school of white bass that are stranded on the rocky ledge, two of the Aleuts come to ask for some. What does Chief Chowig tell them?
2. Why is Karana angry with the Aleuts for hunting the sea otters?
3. What is the emotional state of the villagers after losing so many men in the battle with the Aleuts?
4. Karana moves her home to a high rock ledge, but the wild dogs continue to circle below. She decides to go against the tribe's taboo about women making weapons. What does she fear will happen if she makes the weapons?
5. Explain why the ship won't turn back toward the island so that Ramo can come on board?
6. Karana cannot sleep the night before she decides to hunt sea elephants. What does she think about as she lies awake during the night?
7. When Karana goes to the spring to gather more water in her baskets, she seeks refuge from the wild dogs in a cave. She plans to turn the cave into another house. What does she do to the cave to make it habitable?
8. How many men come in the Aleut ship under the command of Captain Orlov. What do they want from the people of Ghalas-at village?
9. How do the men of Ghalas-at village react when the Aleut ship sails into Coral Cove?
10. After Karana finishes building her home, she decides it is time to kill the wild dogs on the island. What does she need to do the job?
This section contains 1,048 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)