|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the decision of Chief Kimki?
(a) The newly-made skin canoes are not to be used yet.
(b) Every villager is assigned a task and the women become hunters.
(c) A large feast will be held to celebrate the good fortune of Ghalas-at.
(d) A squad of men will row to Santa Catalina immediately.
2. Why do the villagers need an escape plan?
(a) They must leave the Island of the Blue Dolphins if the Aleuts return.
(b) The increase of serious storms is making the island unlivable.
(c) The supplies of food and water are now inadequate.
(d) The villagers cannot climb down the cliffs.
3. What is the reason Karana believes her father is defeated by Captain Orlov.
(a) He accepts one chest as payment.
(b) He asks Captain Orlov for help carrying the black chest up the cliff.
(c) He is weakened because he tells his secret name to Captain Orlov.
(d) He trusts Captain Orlov and allows the lead hunter to pass by him.
4. What is Karana following across the small hills and a valley, club in hand?
(a) Three men carrying the canoe away from Ghalas-at
(b) A pack of wild dogs
(c) Nanko and Ramo and three wild dogs
(d) A group of men that came up from Coral Cove
5. Why does Chief Chowig advise the people not to visit the Aleut's camp?
(a) He warns them that the Aleuts carry disease.
(b) He says that the Aleut's ways and language are not their ways
(c) He tells them that the Aleuts have powerful, evil magic.
(d) He says that the Aleuts might kidnap women and children.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Karana see in the cave?
2. What do the crew members of the ship do after it lands in Coral Cove?
3. Even the smallest stored canoe is too heavy to lift, so what is Karana's solution?
4. Why does Karana need to leave the shelter after five days?
5. Why have white men come to the Island of the Blue Dolphins?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Karana see while she is out looking for supplies to fix her canoe, and what is her reaction?
2. Compare Rontu with his son, Rontu-Aru.
3. How do the people of the Ghalas-at village know when the Aleutians are planning to leave the island?
4. What does Karana do after she tracks the injured pack leader, finding him immobile on the ground?
5. After two more years, a ship returns to Coral Cove. What does Karana do when she sees the ship?
6. What events take place after Chief Chowig demands the rest of the chests be brought to shore before the otter pelts are loaded onto the ship?
7. What is Karana worried about when she takes her new spear to go and hunt devilfish?
8. Does Chief Chowig accept the black chest of beads as full payment from Captain Orlov and the Aleuts? Explain.
9. In case the Aleuts returned to the island, Karana repairs the canoe for a fast escape. What alterations does she make to the canoe to make it more manageable for her size?
10. How does Karana describe the Aleutian ship as it nears the island?
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)