|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the name, Island of the Blue Dolphins, possibly originate?
(a) From the earliest people to visit the island
(b) From the single dolphin once seen offshore
(c) From the reflective coloring of the dolphins at sunset
(d) From an ancient song of the Ghalas-at village
2. What does Karana realize is happening while she is paddling the canoe?
(a) The kelp is too thick for a canoe
(b) The extra paddle is missing
(c) The canoe is leaking
(d) The sea otter may capsize the canoe
3. Why is Karana constructing shelves in the rock face?
(a) To keep food away from gray mice
(b) Storage of drinking water
(c) Storage of spear points
(d) Safekeeping of the valuables from the wooden trunk
4. Why have white men come to the Island of the Blue Dolphins?
(a) To repair the ship
(b) To take the villagers away from Ghalas-at
(c) To catch the plentiful fish
(d) To construct better skin canoes for the villagers
5. Why don't Ulape and Karana throw rocks at the Aleuts from the cliff?
(a) They plan to tell the Aleuts to leave by sunrise.
(b) They are afraid of hitting a man of the village.
(c) They want the Aleuts to stay on the island.
(d) They like Captain Orlov and don't want to hurt him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which utensil Karana is making?
2. Why does Chief Kimki reverse his decision?
3. What does Karana fear if she violates the laws of Ghalas-at?
4. What does Karana compare the Aleut ship to as it comes nearer to the island?
5. What is it that is now making Karana feel happy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the image Karana uses to describe Roma's eyes.
2. How does Karana describe the Aleutian ship as it nears the island?
3. How does Karana get sea elephant teeth for her spear points?
4. Does Chief Chowig accept the black chest of beads as full payment from Captain Orlov and the Aleuts? Explain.
5. What events take place after Chief Chowig demands the rest of the chests be brought to shore before the otter pelts are loaded onto the ship?
6. After Karana finishes building her home, she decides it is time to kill the wild dogs on the island. What does she need to do the job?
7. What does Karana do after she discovers Roma's lifeless body?
8. Karana leaves the island in one of the hidden canoes. She is forced to turn back to the island after the canoe starts to leak badly. On the way back, she has two good fortunes. Describe what these good fortunes are.
9. Summarize the description Karana gives of the Island of the Blue Dolphins?
10. Describe the preparations the people of the village make in case the Aleuts return and they have to escape?
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)