|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the final deal that Chief Chowig accepts from Captain Orlov?
(a) One quarter of the catch
(b) Equal parts of the hunting catch
(c) Three parts for the Chief and one part for Captain Orlov
(d) Payment in gold for hunting off the coast of Coral Cove
2. What is a reason Karana delays her shot at the sea elephant?
(a) Two bulls are rushing toward her.
(b) The cows sound an alarm from the water.
(c) The cows are obstructing her shot.
(d) She does not know where to put the first arrow.
3. Why does Ramo get up in the darkness and leave Ghalas-at alone?
(a) He is angry with Karana
(b) To get a canoe hidden in Coral Cove
(c) To surprise Karana by preparing the morning meal fit for a new chief
(d) To hunt the wild dogs
4. What does Karana find in Ghalas-at when she returns?
(a) Ramo has killed a wild dog
(b) Nanko and Ulape kissing
(c) Ramo is sleeping
(d) Ravaging wild dogs
5. What does Chief Chowig tell the two Aleuts who ask for bass?
(a) He has to think of his own people and refuses to share the bass
(b) That there is plentiful bass near the beach in the early spring
(c) That the villagers ate all the bass the night before
(d) That the bass are spoiled and not edible
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the reason someone jumps overboard?
2. Why does each person of Ghalas-at have two names?
3. What do the villagers fear?
4. Why does the number of men in the Ghalas-at tribe change suddenly?
5. What is the only thing that makes Karana sad?
Short Essay Questions
1. How many men come in the Aleut ship under the command of Captain Orlov. What do they want from the people of Ghalas-at village?
2. After the tribe recovers the school of white bass that are stranded on the rocky ledge, two of the Aleuts come to ask for some. What does Chief Chowig tell them?
3. Overcome with fear that her brother will be abandoned on the island, what does Karana do? What is the outcome?
4. Karana leaves the island in one of the hidden canoes. She is forced to turn back to the island after the canoe starts to leak badly. On the way back, she has two good fortunes. Describe what these good fortunes are.
5. After Karana finishes building her home, she decides it is time to kill the wild dogs on the island. What does she need to do the job?
6. Why isn't the autumn and winter peaceful in Ghalas-at, even though there is plenty of food for everyone?
7. How do the people of the Ghalas-at village know when the Aleutians are planning to leave the island?
8. What events take place after Chief Chowig demands the rest of the chests be brought to shore before the otter pelts are loaded onto the ship?
9. Who is aboard the ship that arrives at Ghalas-at island? What do they want with the villagers?
10. Karana moves her home to a high rock ledge, but the wild dogs continue to circle below. She decides to go against the tribe's taboo about women making weapons. What does she fear will happen if she makes the weapons?
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)