|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the name, Island of the Blue Dolphins, possibly originate?
(a) From the reflective coloring of the dolphins at sunset
(b) From an ancient song of the Ghalas-at village
(c) From the earliest people to visit the island
(d) From the single dolphin once seen offshore
2. As a storm rages for six days, what is Karana doing?
(a) Making almost 100 spearheads
(c) Killing three wild dogs
(d) Visiting others in Ghalas-at
3. How do villagers feel about leaving the Island of the Blue Dolphin?
(a) Fearful about the destination, nonetheless happy
(b) Regretful that Kimka is dead
(c) Thankful for not starving on the island
(d) They trust their tribesman Nanko.
4. What is it that is now making Karana feel happy?
(a) The rocks, the kelp, the tides, the Island of the Blue Dolphins
(b) The canoe is repaired.
(c) The blue dolphins are swimming in Coral Cove.
(d) A new source of fresh water is found.
5. What is Karana able to get from the sea elephant carcass?
(a) Strong hide
(c) Cooking oil
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are the headlands the better choice for a house?
2. What is a law in Ghalas-at?
3. Why is Karana searching the beach sand at Coral Cove?
4. Who does Karana vow to kill as she sits awake all night?
5. What is the name of Karana's six year old brother?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the men of Ghalas-at village react when the Aleut ship sails into Coral Cove?
2. What events take place after Chief Chowig demands the rest of the chests be brought to shore before the otter pelts are loaded onto the ship?
3. Explain why the ship won't turn back toward the island so that Ramo can come on board?
4. Ramo decides to go to where the canoes are hidden and bring one back to Coral Cove, so he and Karana can fish and look around the island. What happens when he goes on this mission?
5. After the tribe recovers the school of white bass that are stranded on the rocky ledge, two of the Aleuts come to ask for some. What does Chief Chowig tell them?
6. How do the sea elephants help Karana decide where to build her new home?
7. When there were people in Ghalas-at, Karana would be up before sunrise and busy with many things. What does she do now that she is the only person on the island?
8. Explain the image Karana uses to describe Roma's eyes.
9. Describe what happens when Karana goes hunting sea elephants. Does she manage to kill one?
10. Karana leaves the island in one of the hidden canoes. She is forced to turn back to the island after the canoe starts to leak badly. On the way back, she has two good fortunes. Describe what these good fortunes are.
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)