|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the shape of the island resemble when a person stands on a rise in the middle?
(a) Two separate pieces, linked by a reef
(b) A roughly-drawn rectangle
(c) An imperfectly-drawn circle
(d) A dolphin lying on its side
2. What are the beds of kelp close to the shore used for?
(a) The kelp often attracts the dolphins to swim closer to shore
(b) They provide food for Ghalas-at village when fishing is poor
(c) Sea otters use the kelp to lie in the sun and sleep.
(d) The kelp causes the sea otters to swim far from shore.
3. What is the law Karana's father tells her about?
(a) No hunting allowed on a full moon night
(b) Fish food should never be allowed to spoil.
(c) The sea gods constantly watch The Island of the Blue Dolphins.
(d) Women are not allowed to make weapons.
4. What awaits Karana upon her return to the cave?
(a) Swarms of gray mice
(b) A fallen tree for fire wood
(c) Unknown animal tracks
(d) The wild dog pack
5. What injury does Karana incur as she trips to avoid the old bull on the slope?
(a) Her elbow is injured.
(b) Her left eye is injured.
(c) Her leg is injured.
(d) She gets a nosebleed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the only thing that makes Karana sad?
2. What is a sai-sai?
3. What is the reason for a fence at the new house?
4. Why are the male sea elephants sitting separate from each other?
5. Why doesn't Karana go to the cliff to watch and count the catch each day?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why didn't Karana want to return to the Island of the Blue Dolphins after her canoe starts to leak?
2. What events take place after Chief Chowig demands the rest of the chests be brought to shore before the otter pelts are loaded onto the ship?
3. Explain the image Karana uses to describe Roma's eyes.
4. Summarize the description Karana gives of the Island of the Blue Dolphins?
5. Why is Karana angry with the Aleuts for hunting the sea otters?
6. Why isn't the autumn and winter peaceful in Ghalas-at, even though there is plenty of food for everyone?
7. How do the sea elephants help Karana decide where to build her new home?
8. When Karana goes to the spring to gather more water in her baskets, she seeks refuge from the wild dogs in a cave. She plans to turn the cave into another house. What does she do to the cave to make it habitable?
9. Who is aboard the ship that arrives at Ghalas-at island? What do they want with the villagers?
10. Overcome with fear that her brother will be abandoned on the island, what does Karana do? What is the outcome?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)