|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Karana go to the cliff to watch and count the catch each day?
(a) Because the dolphin kill makes her angry
(b) Because she might get hit by an Aleut spear
(c) Because her father forbids her
(d) Because sea otters are her friends
2. What is a reason Karana delays her shot at the sea elephant?
(a) Two bulls are rushing toward her.
(b) The cows sound an alarm from the water.
(c) The cows are obstructing her shot.
(d) She does not know where to put the first arrow.
3. Why does Ramo get up in the darkness and leave Ghalas-at alone?
(a) To surprise Karana by preparing the morning meal fit for a new chief
(b) To get a canoe hidden in Coral Cove
(c) To hunt the wild dogs
(d) He is angry with Karana
4. What is swimming ahead of the canoe?
(a) Blue dolphins
(c) Sea otters
(d) Three sea elephants with huge tusks
5. Why are the headlands the better choice for a house?
(a) There is abundant fresh water.
(b) It is quieter.
(c) The wild dogs will not come here.
(d) All of the Island of the Blue Dolphins can be seen from here.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the name, Island of the Blue Dolphins, possibly originate?
2. Why is Karana putting a canoe in the water at Coral Cove?
3. How do the constant winds affect the land?
4. Why does Chief Chowig advise the people not to visit the Aleut's camp?
5. What is Karana following across the small hills and a valley, club in hand?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Karana finishes building her home, she decides it is time to kill the wild dogs on the island. What does she need to do the job?
2. Ramo decides to go to where the canoes are hidden and bring one back to Coral Cove, so he and Karana can fish and look around the island. What happens when he goes on this mission?
3. Karana moves her home to a high rock ledge, but the wild dogs continue to circle below. She decides to go against the tribe's taboo about women making weapons. What does she fear will happen if she makes the weapons?
4. Explain the image Karana uses to describe Roma's eyes.
5. What does Karana do after she discovers Roma's lifeless body?
6. When there were people in Ghalas-at, Karana would be up before sunrise and busy with many things. What does she do now that she is the only person on the island?
7. Who is aboard the ship that arrives at Ghalas-at island? What do they want with the villagers?
8. Explain why the ship won't turn back toward the island so that Ramo can come on board?
9. Karana leaves the island in one of the hidden canoes. She is forced to turn back to the island after the canoe starts to leak badly. On the way back, she has two good fortunes. Describe what these good fortunes are.
10. How does Karana build a fence to protect her from the wild dogs?
This section contains 1,025 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)