|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first deal that Captain Orlov offers Chief Chowig with regard to the hunting catch?
(a) He offers only to leave the village alone if they let his men hunt.
(b) He offers one part of goods to be paid to the chief and two parts for the Captain's men.
(c) He offers one quarter of the catch to the chief.
(d) He offers trinkets brought from Russia to the chief.
2. Why did Ramo want to go back to Ghalas-at?
(a) Because Kimka tells him to get more fresh water for the voyage
(b) To get his fishing spear
(c) He is afraid.
(d) Because Karana tells him to get valuable seal skins to sell later.
3. Who does Karana vow to kill as she sits awake all night?
(b) Chief Matasaip
(c) A pack of wild dogs
(d) The men camped in Coral Cove
4. How do the Aleuts act as they prepare to leave the island?
(a) They empty one of the six chests.
(b) They hate Captain Orlov and refuse to follow his directions.
(c) They do not carry weapons of any kind while on the beach.
(d) They are laughing as if they are happy to leave the island.
5. Why is Karana leaving the raging battle of sea elephants?
(a) Both sea elephants are mortally wounded.
(b) She has vision in only one eye.
(c) Darkness has fallen.
(d) Her elbow is swollen and throbbing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the Russians come to Coral Cove?
2. What is a law in Ghalas-at?
3. What injury does Karana incur as she trips to avoid the old bull on the slope?
4. Why do the villagers need an escape plan?
5. When the wild dogs are heard barking, who is being attacked?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the emotional state of the villagers after losing so many men in the battle with the Aleuts?
2. Why isn't the autumn and winter peaceful in Ghalas-at, even though there is plenty of food for everyone?
3. When Karana goes to the spring to gather more water in her baskets, she seeks refuge from the wild dogs in a cave. She plans to turn the cave into another house. What does she do to the cave to make it habitable?
4. Overcome with fear that her brother will be abandoned on the island, what does Karana do? What is the outcome?
5. How many men come in the Aleut ship under the command of Captain Orlov. What do they want from the people of Ghalas-at village?
6. When there were people in Ghalas-at, Karana would be up before sunrise and busy with many things. What does she do now that she is the only person on the island?
7. Karana cannot sleep the night before she decides to hunt sea elephants. What does she think about as she lies awake during the night?
8. Ramo decides to go to where the canoes are hidden and bring one back to Coral Cove, so he and Karana can fish and look around the island. What happens when he goes on this mission?
9. What events take place after Chief Chowig demands the rest of the chests be brought to shore before the otter pelts are loaded onto the ship?
10. Explain why the ship won't turn back toward the island so that Ramo can come on board?
This section contains 1,022 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)