|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the law Karana's father tells her about?
(a) Fish food should never be allowed to spoil.
(b) No hunting allowed on a full moon night
(c) The sea gods constantly watch The Island of the Blue Dolphins.
(d) Women are not allowed to make weapons.
2. When the wild dogs are heard barking, who is being attacked?
(b) Chief of The Island of the Blue Dolphins
(d) Children of the Ghalas-at village
3. What does Karana compare the Aleut ship to as it comes nearer to the island?
(a) A very large canoe
(b) A dolphin skimming the surface of the sea
(c) A red whale
(d) A gull with folded wings
4. Why does the number of men in the Ghalas-at tribe change suddenly?
(a) There is constant arguing and unrest among the villagers.
(b) Many choose to leave the village with Chief Chowig.
(c) Many choose to leave the village and follow Captain Orlov.
(d) Many are killed in battle.
5. What is the reason Karana believes her father is defeated by Captain Orlov.
(a) He asks Captain Orlov for help carrying the black chest up the cliff.
(b) He is weakened because he tells his secret name to Captain Orlov.
(c) He trusts Captain Orlov and allows the lead hunter to pass by him.
(d) He accepts one chest as payment.
Short Answer Questions
1. Even the smallest stored canoe is too heavy to lift, so what is Karana's solution?
2. What is Karana able to get from the sea elephant carcass?
3. Where does Chief Chowig dispatch several young men?
4. Why are the male sea elephants sitting separate from each other?
5. Why does each person of Ghalas-at have two names?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the gulls open the scallops shells to eat the meat inside?
2. Karana moves her home to a high rock ledge, but the wild dogs continue to circle below. She decides to go against the tribe's taboo about women making weapons. What does she fear will happen if she makes the weapons?
3. Describe the preparations the people of the village make in case the Aleuts return and they have to escape?
4. What does Karana do with the young, wounded otter she finds after the Aleutian ship departs?
5. How do the people of the Ghalas-at village know when the Aleutians are planning to leave the island?
6. Karana cannot sleep the night before she decides to hunt sea elephants. What does she think about as she lies awake during the night?
7. What fills Karana with happiness the morning after she returns to the island in the leaking canoe?
8. What method does Karana use to get the wild dogs out of their lair so she can kill them? How effective is it?
9. Explain why the ship won't turn back toward the island so that Ramo can come on board?
10. After the tribe recovers the school of white bass that are stranded on the rocky ledge, two of the Aleuts come to ask for some. What does Chief Chowig tell them?
This section contains 1,034 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)