|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the beds of kelp close to the shore used for?
(a) The kelp causes the sea otters to swim far from shore.
(b) The kelp often attracts the dolphins to swim closer to shore
(c) They provide food for Ghalas-at village when fishing is poor
(d) Sea otters use the kelp to lie in the sun and sleep.
2. Why did the Russians come to Coral Cove?
(a) They came to settle in the village.
(b) They came to take slaves back to their homeland.
(c) They came to hunt sea otter and camp on the island.
(d) They came to take over the village and its resources.
3. What is Karana doing in the Ghalas-at village?
(a) Preparing a house for when the villagers return home
(b) Burning down all the houses
(c) Building a storage area to protect the food supply
(d) Keeping a regular night watch with the villagers
4. What was the problem the tribe encountered when Captain Mitriff came to the village to hunt years before?
(a) He beat the men of the village, forcing them to wait on him and all the crew members.
(b) He enslaved the villagers and forced them to hunt for a year's time.
(c) He had the men of the village do all the hunting from one moon to the next without stopping.
(d) He and his men did all the hunting and did not give the tribe any of the catch.
5. How does Karana describe her brother's eyes?
(a) His eyes are as brown as the roots that grow on the island
(b) His eyes are as green as the sea with an intelligent look
(c) His eyes miss little. They are large and black like a lizard and often look sleepy
(d) His eyes are bright blue like the dolphins and always wide open
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the captain's name from the Aleutian ship?
2. What is swimming ahead of the canoe?
3. Why is life in the village slowed and very quiet?
4. Which utensil Karana is making?
5. Who is the reason someone jumps overboard?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Karana describe the Aleutian ship as it nears the island?
2. How does Karana catch the wild dog she believes to be Rontu's son?
3. When Karana goes to the spring to gather more water in her baskets, she seeks refuge from the wild dogs in a cave. She plans to turn the cave into another house. What does she do to the cave to make it habitable?
4. Why is Karana angry with the Aleuts for hunting the sea otters?
5. What does Karana do after the Aleut girl finds her and Rontu at the cave?
6. Explain the image Karana uses to describe Roma's eyes.
7. How do Karana and Tutok spend their time together?
8. What does Karana do when she finds Rontu lying in the back of the lair in which he once lived?
9. What happens to Karena on the very hot day after the winter storms when she takes the canoe to paddle around the reef?
10. Karana moves her home to a high rock ledge, but the wild dogs continue to circle below. She decides to go against the tribe's taboo about women making weapons. What does she fear will happen if she makes the weapons?
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)