|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is it that is now making Karana feel happy?
(a) A new source of fresh water is found.
(b) The blue dolphins are swimming in Coral Cove.
(c) The rocks, the kelp, the tides, the Island of the Blue Dolphins
(d) The canoe is repaired.
2. What does Chief Chowig tell the two Aleuts who ask for bass?
(a) That the bass are spoiled and not edible
(b) He has to think of his own people and refuses to share the bass
(c) That there is plentiful bass near the beach in the early spring
(d) That the villagers ate all the bass the night before
3. What is Karana doing in the Ghalas-at village?
(a) Keeping a regular night watch with the villagers
(b) Preparing a house for when the villagers return home
(c) Burning down all the houses
(d) Building a storage area to protect the food supply
4. Why does Chief Chowig advise the people not to visit the Aleut's camp?
(a) He says that the Aleut's ways and language are not their ways
(b) He tells them that the Aleuts have powerful, evil magic.
(c) He says that the Aleuts might kidnap women and children.
(d) He warns them that the Aleuts carry disease.
5. How does Karana describe her brother's eyes?
(a) His eyes are as brown as the roots that grow on the island
(b) His eyes are bright blue like the dolphins and always wide open
(c) His eyes are as green as the sea with an intelligent look
(d) His eyes miss little. They are large and black like a lizard and often look sleepy
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the things that make the first day of house building a good omen?
2. Why do the villagers need an escape plan?
3. Why does Karana need to leave the shelter after five days?
4. What is a reason Karana delays her shot at the sea elephant?
5. What injury does Karana incur as she trips to avoid the old bull on the slope?
Short Essay Questions
1. What fills Karana with happiness the morning after she returns to the island in the leaking canoe?
2. Explain why the ship won't turn back toward the island so that Ramo can come on board?
3. Who is aboard the ship that arrives at Ghalas-at island? What do they want with the villagers?
4. How do the men of Ghalas-at village react when the Aleut ship sails into Coral Cove?
5. How does Karana build a fence to protect her from the wild dogs?
6. Why isn't the autumn and winter peaceful in Ghalas-at, even though there is plenty of food for everyone?
7. Karana moves her home to a high rock ledge, but the wild dogs continue to circle below. She decides to go against the tribe's taboo about women making weapons. What does she fear will happen if she makes the weapons?
8. Describe what happens when Karana goes hunting sea elephants. Does she manage to kill one?
9. What is the emotional state of the villagers after losing so many men in the battle with the Aleuts?
10. Explain the image Karana uses to describe Roma's eyes.
This section contains 988 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)