|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Karana fear if she violates the laws of Ghalas-at?
(a) A wind storm, an earthquake, or tidal wave will destroy the village
(b) She and her family will have to leave the village
(c) She will be flogged in the center of the village
(d) She alone will have to leave the village
2. What awaits Karana upon her return to the cave?
(a) The wild dog pack
(b) A fallen tree for fire wood
(c) Unknown animal tracks
(d) Swarms of gray mice
3. Why is Karana searching the beach sand at Coral Cove?
(a) Looking for the chest the Aleuts brought ashore
(b) Looking for live sea otter that wash ashore
(c) Gathering kelp to make body coverings
(d) Gathering stones for making spearheads
4. What is a sai-sai?
(a) A stormy sunset
(b) A bland gruel made from kelp
(c) A small fish
(d) Flavorful drink made from kelp
5. What is a law in Ghalas-at?
(a) All must participate in the yearly sea otter hunt.
(b) Women of the tribe cannot make weapons.
(c) None are permitted to leave Ghalas-at after dark.
(d) Men of the tribe distribute the cooked food.
Short Answer Questions
1. What injury does Karana incur as she trips to avoid the old bull on the slope?
2. Why does Ramo get up in the darkness and leave Ghalas-at alone?
3. What does Chief Chowig tell the two Aleuts who ask for bass?
4. Why is a new house necessary?
5. Who jumps overboard from the ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the men of Ghalas-at village react when the Aleut ship sails into Coral Cove?
2. Why didn't Karana want to return to the Island of the Blue Dolphins after her canoe starts to leak?
3. How do the people of the Ghalas-at village know when the Aleutians are planning to leave the island?
4. Why is Karana angry with the Aleuts for hunting the sea otters?
5. What fills Karana with happiness the morning after she returns to the island in the leaking canoe?
6. Who is aboard the ship that arrives at Ghalas-at island? What do they want with the villagers?
7. How many men come in the Aleut ship under the command of Captain Orlov. What do they want from the people of Ghalas-at village?
8. Describe what happens when Karana goes hunting sea elephants. Does she manage to kill one?
9. What does Karana do after she discovers Roma's lifeless body?
10. How does Karana describe the Aleutian ship as it nears the island?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)