|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Karana plan to use the rock ledge in the newly-discovered cave?
(a) Sleeping area
(b) Store and conceal the canoe
(c) Store food and water
(d) Lie in ambush of the wild dogs
2. Why is one of the birds named Tainor?
(a) It is the name of a small sailing ship.
(b) It is the name of a young man Karana liked.
(c) It is the name of an ancient tribal chief.
(d) It is the name of the small dog Karana once owned.
3. How does Karana know Spring has come?
(a) The sea elephants return to the beaches.
(b) The kelp turns black as the devilfish spray.
(c) The sun is warmer on the headlands.
(d) The sky is full of small, black, darting birds.
4. What did Tainor and Lurai build their nest out of in the spring?
(a) Dry seaweed, leaves, and hairs from Rontu's back
(b) Leaves, grass, and vines
(c) Seaweed, roots, and grass
(d) Wild grass, kelp, and thin vines
5. What is a stronger feeling to Karana than the happy times on the island?
(a) The wish to stay where her brother and father are buried
(b) A wish to be with people, hearing their voices and laughter
(c) The wish to remain with Rontu-Aru and her animal friends
(d) The wish to keep the sea otters safe from the men on the ship
6. What does Karana do before she climbs the ledge at the mouth of the cave?
(a) Checks her drinking water
(b) Makes three more spears
(c) Makes three more arrows
(d) Lights a fire at the cave entrance
7. How is Karana able to keep the two birds close by as friends?
(a) Always kept in the cave
(b) Always kept caged
(c) Tethered by kelp string
(d) Clips the wings
8. Where does Karana store the canoe for the winter?
(a) High on the cliffs
(b) In a cave
(c) At her house
(d) On the beach at Coral Cove
9. How does Karana catch Rontu's son?
(a) She catches him with xuchal, made from ground shells and wild tobacco.
(b) She catches him with one of the snares she made.
(c) She catches him with the toluache weed. which put him to sleep.
(d) She catches him with a lure of abalone.
10. What is the sound the unknown birds are making that Karana likes?
(d) Reep reep
11. What does Karana make with yucca twine?
(a) A rope
(b) A small fishing net
(c) A wind curtain for the cave entrance
(d) A new skirt
12. What is making the loud, thunderous noise on the hot day when Karana paddles her canoe around the reef?
(a) Thunder and lightning
(b) The earthquake
(c) Cannon fire
(d) A tidal wave
13. What does the name Rontu mean in English?
(b) Fox Eyes
(d) Big Dog
14. What does Karana vow about killing animals the summer she renames Mon-a-nee?
(a) She vows to kill enough cormorants to make a beautiful feathered cape.
(b) She vows she will only kill animals for food.
(c) She vows never to kill another animal for any reason.
(d) She vows to kill the rest of the wild dogs.
15. What does the pack leader do when he exits the cave?
(a) Runs to the head of the pack
(b) Runs back in to the cave
(c) Runs off by himself
(d) Stares menacingly at Karana
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the biggest loss Karana suffers in the earthquake?
2. What does Karana do when she no longer hears the man from the ship calling to her?
3. Why does Karana attempt to catch a devilfish?
4. Where does Karana bury Rontu?
5. How do sea otters teach their babies to swim?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)