|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does it take to make a canoe trip around The Island of the Blue Dolphins?
(a) One full day
(b) Cannot be done, parts of the surf are too strong
(c) Two full days
(d) One week
2. What does Karana find when she goes to the tide pool to see Mon-a-nee after three days?
(a) The tide pool is deserted and Mon-a-nee is gone.
(b) The tide pool is dried up and Mon-a-tee is sick.
(c) Mon-a-nee is dead.
(d) Mon-a-nee is weak with hunger.
3. What does Karana see the gulls dropping on the rocks?
4. What is Rontu rushing forward to attack?
(a) The beached blue dolphin
(b) An angry sea elephant
(c) A wounded sea otter
(d) A giant devilfish
5. Where does Karana store the canoe for the winter?
(a) On the beach at Coral Cove
(b) In a cave
(c) High on the cliffs
(d) At her house
6. What does the name Rontu mean in English?
(a) Big Dog
(d) Fox Eyes
7. What does Karana see as she gathers supplies to repair her canoe?
(a) Three blue dolphins jumping out of the water
(b) The wild dogs circling her home
(c) A devil fish
(d) The sail of a ship
8. How does Karana catch Rontu's son?
(a) She catches him with xuchal, made from ground shells and wild tobacco.
(b) She catches him with one of the snares she made.
(c) She catches him with a lure of abalone.
(d) She catches him with the toluache weed. which put him to sleep.
9. What does Karana do for four nights prior to sleeping?
(a) Tosses stones at the vicious pack leader
(b) Chases the wild dogs away
(c) Goes to the flat rock to sleep in safety
(d) Makes more sharp spearheads
10. How does Karana know Spring has come?
(a) The sun is warmer on the headlands.
(b) The kelp turns black as the devilfish spray.
(c) The sea elephants return to the beaches.
(d) The sky is full of small, black, darting birds.
11. Where do Karana and Rontu-Aru go during the earthquake?
(a) They go to the Black Cave.
(b) They get into the canoe and paddle away from land.
(c) They lay on the ground next to each other.
(d) They crawl into their headland home.
12. After fishing, as Karana climbs the cliff what does she hear?
(a) The Aleuts down on the beach
(b) Thousands of gulls passing overhead
(c) Dogs fighting
(d) Nothing, an eerie complete silence
13. What do Karana and Tutok do when they finally meet?
(a) Karana tells Tutok to stay away from her home.
(b) Tutok tries to take Rontu with her.
(c) They trade words with each other, teaching their language.
(d) They argue over the black, stone necklace.
14. What happens on the evening Karana returns to her headland home?
(a) The wild dogs attack Rontu-Aru
(b) A hurricane blows fierce winds
(c) The earth begins to move from an earthquake
(d) Lightning strikes her home
15. What is the biggest loss Karana suffers in the earthquake?
(a) The stores of food
(b) The canoes
(c) Her headland home
(d) Her two caged birds
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Tainor and Lurai build their nest out of in the spring?
2. How long does the earthquake last?
3. What does Karana do when she no longer hears the man from the ship calling to her?
4. When Karana reaches the meadow, what does she see standing on the mound?
5. What does the otter's name, Mon-a-nee mean?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)