|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Karana compare the Aleut ship to as it comes nearer to the island?
(a) A dolphin skimming the surface of the sea
(b) A red whale
(c) A gull with folded wings
(d) A very large canoe
2. What do the villagers think about as they keep watch of the Aleut hunt from the cliffs?
(a) How much their lives have improved since the Aleuts came
(b) How exciting it will be when the Aleuts bring the women and children to settle here
(c) How much the catch means in beads and other things
(d) The dolphins off shore near the ship
3. How do the Aleuts act as they prepare to leave the island?
(a) They empty one of the six chests.
(b) They are laughing as if they are happy to leave the island.
(c) They do not carry weapons of any kind while on the beach.
(d) They hate Captain Orlov and refuse to follow his directions.
4. How do the Ghalas-at tribesmen prepare for the confrontation with Captain Orlov?
(a) They leave all weapons in the village when they go to see the ship set sail.
(b) They leave their place at the foot of the trail, moving forward, waiting, and watching Chief Chowig.
(c) They trust Captain Orlov will keep the agreement, so they carry no weapons.
(d) They carry only small knives as weapons.
5. What is Captain Orlov's reaction to Chief Chowig's refusal of one chest as payment?
(a) He tells Chief Chowig there are more chests on the ship just like the one on the sand.
(b) He has the six chests brought to the beach after the ship is fully loaded.
(c) He sets sail while the sun is still high.
(d) He instructs his men not to use knives and spears.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who greets the large Russian man after he says that he comes in peace?
2. Why do Captain Orlov and his Aleut hunters camp on the high ground of the island?
3. How do the villagers know the Aleut ship is preparing to leave?
4. Why does the number of men in the Ghalas-at tribe change suddenly?
5. What do the crew members of the ship do after it lands in Coral Cove?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)