|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Ishmael say he was truly born?
(a) When he realized that his name was not his
(b) When he realized that he was a gorilla
(c) When he learned to read
(d) When he realized that he had a name
2. Why is Ishmael reticent about telling the narrator what he wants to know in Chapter 11?
(a) He is afraid that the narrator will stop coming to him once he knows
(b) He feels the narrator is merely curious
(c) He is irritated by the narrator’s failure to prevent his eviction
(d) He does not want to divulge the information
3. Where does the narrator say the conquest narrative in Chapter 6 ends?
(a) With the conquest of all knowledge
(b) With the mapping of DNA and the brain
(c) With the conquest of outer space
(d) With rebellion and collapse
4. How does the narrator say that Hermann Hesse presents Leo’s “awesome secret wisdom”?
(a) He says that the novel describes it in code
(b) He says that the novel does not describe it
(c) He says that the novel is enigmatic on the topic of the wisdom
(d) He says that Leo describes it as a mystical vision
5. How does Ishmael say that men see the ruin of nature, according to the narrator’s culture’s mythology?
(a) As the result of God’s plan
(b) As the plan nature had for mankind
(c) As the price to be paid for ruling the earth
(d) As the visitation of god’s judgment
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the narrator’s reaction when he hears the rival creation story Ishmael tells in Chapter 4?
2. What assumption does Ishmael say the Takers must have made about the world in order to follow the laws they follow?
3. How long does it take the narrator to come up with the laws Ishmael asked him to define?
4. What end does Ishmael say he foresees for the Takers’ culture?
5. In Chapter 6, what does Ishmael say is unobtainable in the narrator’s culture?
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)