|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What role does Ishmael say the Fertile Crescent plays in the narrator’s story?
(a) A distraction
(b) Legendary birthplace of agriculture
(c) The birthplace of culture
(d) Center of the world
2. What manipulation does the narrator say man had to learn in order to master his environment?
(a) How to manipulate his food supply
(b) How to manipulate his womenfolk
(c) How to manipulate trade
(d) How to manipulate the production of goods
3. What is the literary term that describes the narrator’s directly addressing the reader?
(b) Direct discourse
(d) Indirect discourse
4. What does Ishmael elicit from the narrator in Chapter 4 regarding his creation myth?
(a) That his creation myth is founded on falsehoods
(b) That his creation myth is damaging the earth
(c) That his creation myth excludes the perspective of women
(d) That his creation myth is centered on mankind
5. What has the narrator’s coldness become, now that he mentions it to Ishmael a second time, at the end of Chapter 5?
(a) A trope
(b) A motif
(c) A symbol
(d) A character
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 3, how does Ishmael tell the narrator to think, when he tries to get him to see the myth of his culture?
2. What does the narrator say he does with the newspaper the first time he reads Ishmael’s ad?
3. Why does the narrator say he answers the newspaper ad?
4. How does the narrator characterize the 1960s?
5. What does Ishmael say he wants, in Chapter 4, when the narrator finally realizes the truth of what Ishmael has been talking about?
This section contains 327 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)