|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ishmael say, in Chapter 2, about the path he will take the narrator on?
(a) He should pay careful attention to the route they will take
(b) Every step will correspond with a mystical experience
(c) There is no going back once you start
(d) He need not remember the route
2. What has the narrator’s coldness become, now that he mentions it to Ishmael a second time, at the end of Chapter 5?
(a) A motif
(b) A trope
(c) A symbol
(d) A character
3. What is the literary term that describes the narrator’s directly addressing the reader?
(a) Direct discourse
(c) Indirect discourse
4. In Chapter 5, how does the narrator characterize the world without man?
(a) Bloody jungle
(c) Post-apocalyptic dreamscape
(d) Raw material
5. Where does the narrator reunite with Ishmael in Chapter 10?
(a) In the woods
(b) At a carnival
(c) At another office building
(d) At a motel
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 6, what does Ishmael say is unobtainable in the narrator’s culture?
2. When does Ishmael say that human history began?
3. How does Ishmael say people think about prehistory, before the agricultural revolution?
4. When does Ishmael say the event he put at 8,000 B.C. on his timeline ended?
5. What does Ishmael ask the narrator to leave and come back with in Chapter 11?
This section contains 274 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)