|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator say is the first thing that the Takers do that no one else in nature does?
(a) Exterminate competitors
(b) Execute murderers
(c) Claim territory for themselves
(d) Rationalize their murder
2. How long ago did the Leavers’ story come into existence?
(a) 2-3 million years
(b) 300 years ago
(c) 2-3 thousand years
(d) 200 years ago
3. How does Ishmael say Takers regard the world?
(a) As an animal to be domesticated
(b) As life-support for human beings
(c) As a garden of provisions
(d) As a gift to be cherished
4. What terms do Ishmael’s terms ‘Takers’ and ‘Leavers’ correspond to?
(a) Adults and children
(b) First world and third world
(c) Civilized and primitive
(d) Rich and poor
5. How does Ishmael describe civilization’s progress in Chapter 7?
(a) As a garden that has worn out the soil
(b) As the free-fall of an aircraft that does not accord with the laws of aerodynamics
(c) As a building built on water
(d) As a corpse that has been kept alive artificially
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say is new about Ishmael’s expression at the beginning of Chapter 7?
2. How does Ishmael say people think about prehistory, before the agricultural revolution?
3. Why does the narrator have a hard time identifying the creation myth of his culture?
4. What is a koan?
5. In Chapter 3, how does Ishmael tell the narrator to think, when he tries to get him to see the myth of his culture?
This section contains 294 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)