|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ishi give the enclosed note to Majapa?
2. What does the Sheriff give to Ishi that makes him smile?
3. Why is Ishi concerned about Tushi and Elder Uncle when he gets to the creek?
4. According to Ishi, what problem arises from wearing shoes?
5. According to Majapa, what makes the Greek world similar to the Yahi world?
Short Essay Questions
1. How might Ishi's actions following Mother's death be described as a type of symbolic death?
2. According to Majapa, How was the Greek world similar to the Yahi world?
3. How is Ishi affected by seeing the baskets that Tushi had made?
4. Why does Ishi decide to go to the museum with the Stranger?
5. Which of Ishi's City experiences connect him with Tushi?
6. What is Ishi searching for when he travels throughout the Yahi world?
7. How is the Stranger who visits Ishi different from the other saldu he has met?
8. How does Majapa comfort Maliwal after Ishi's death?
9. Why is it important for Ishi to teach Maliwal?
10. What details lead Ishi to believe that Elder Uncle and Tushi have not survived the escape?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Ishi's understanding of war with the description of war that Majapa provides him. Why does he have a difficult time with the concept of war as Majapa describes it? What details trouble him? Why? Be sure to use specific examples and quotations to support your description.
Essay Topic 2
How do Ishi's later experiences with the saldu differ from his experiences as a child and young man? How do these differences influence his decision to live with the saldu? How does his understanding and impression of them change as the novel develops, and how does it remain the same? Be sure to include specific examples to support your points.
Essay Topic 3
Compare Ishi's experiences in the Yahi world to the experiences he has when he returns there later with Majapa and Maliwal. How are the places the same to him, and How are they different? How does he feel about his "home," and why? Provide evidence to support your observations.
This section contains 1,491 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)