|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For how long does Ishi sleep after he buries Mother?
2. Where does Majapa want Ishi to take him?
3. What kinds of trees grow in the forest behind the museum?
4. What offering does Majapa blow into the ocean before he and Ishi leave?
5. What do Majapa and Maliwal scatter over the waves as their sacrifice?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ishi value about his relationship with the girl that he meets in the arroyo?
2. How does Ishi discover a way of preserving the Yahi world?
3. How do Ishi's friends show respect for him after his death?
4. Why does Ishi choose to return to the museum rather than stay in the Yahi world?
5. How does Ishi overcome his concern about bringing Majapa and Maliwal into the Yahi world?
6. How does Mother's death affect Ishi?
7. How is Ishi affected by seeing the baskets that Tushi had made?
8. How does Ishi's understanding of the war affect him?
9. How are the men at the museum different from other saldu that Ishi has observed?
10. How might Ishi's actions following Mother's death be described as a type of symbolic death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do Ishi's later experiences with the saldu differ from his experiences as a child and young man? How do these differences influence his decision to live with the saldu? How does his understanding and impression of them change as the novel develops, and how does it remain the same? Be sure to include specific examples to support your points.
Essay Topic 2
Compare Ishi's experiences in the Yahi world to the experiences he has when he returns there later with Majapa and Maliwal. How are the places the same to him, and How are they different? How does he feel about his "home," and why? Provide evidence to support your observations.
Essay Topic 3
Dreams carry a lot of significance for Ishi and his people. Analyze the importance of dreams in the novel and the influence that dreams have on the characters. Support your analysis with specific examples and quotations.
This section contains 1,310 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)