|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ishi do after Majapa and Maliwal are asleep?
2. What ritual does Ishi share with Majapa and Maliwal when they first arrive in Gahma?
3. According to Ishi, what ruins the oatmeal at breakfast?
4. How does Ishi get rid of the brown bear that wants his cave?
5. What does Mother take from her treasure bundle and wear on the night that she dies?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Ishi affected by seeing the baskets that Tushi had made?
2. How do Mother and Ishi support each other after they are separated from Elder Uncle and Tushi?
3. How does Majapa comfort Maliwal after Ishi's death?
4. How is the Stranger who visits Ishi different from the other saldu he has met?
5. How do the Sheriff's actions surprise Ishi?
6. How have Ishi and Mother's lives changed since the disappearance of Elder Uncle and Tushi?
7. Why is Ishi hesitant about bringing Majapa and Maliwal into the Yahi world?
8. What details lead Ishi to believe that Elder Uncle and Tushi have not survived the escape?
9. How does Mother's death affect Ishi?
10. What are Ishi's initial reactions to the City?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are Ishi and his family about to avoid the saldu for so long? Analyze the measures that the tribe takes in order to hide their existence from the saldu all around them. How do these efforts protect them? What causes these efforts to fail? In the end, was hiding their best option, or should they have taken another approach? Support you opinions with specific evidence from the text.
Essay Topic 2
In the Yahi world, the spirit world interacts with and influences the world of the living. Explain the ways in which the living are influenced and affected by the spirits. What does this suggest about the Yahi culture? How does this affect the ways in which the Yahi view life? Be sure to include specific examples and evidence to support your explanations.
Essay Topic 3
Even though Ishi dies as the last of his people, he manages to "save" the Yahi in a way. Explain how Ishi is able to preserve the Yahi way and ensure that the culture does not disappear. Provide specific examples and quotations for support.
This section contains 1,409 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)