|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much time has passed at the beginning of The Cave section?
2. According to the Yahi creation story, how did creation begin?
3. Ishi learns to stay awake for how many nights?
4. After Ishi returns from his journey, what does he notice about Timawi?
5. What kind of place does Ishi find for the location of the new village?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Ishi's relationship with Timawi similar to his relationship with Tushi?
2. How is the Yahi creation story similar to the Judeo-Christian creation story (the creation story of the white man)?
3. According to Timawi, how were the seven remaining members of the Yahi tribe able to survive?
4. Where does Ishi decide to go on his journey?
5. What does Tushi refuse to wear the sweetgrass bracelet that Timawi wants to give her?
6. What does Tushi's dream seem to foretell, and how does Ishi respond to her dream?
7. How do Elder Uncle and Grandfather begin to prepare Ishi for manhood in Section 5 of "The Moon Seasons?"
8. Why does Ishi choose not to kill the snow rabbit?
9. What does Grandfather say to Elder Uncle in order to reassure him after Timawi and Ishi leave?
10. What details about the Harvest Feast suggest that Ishi and his family are the last of their tribe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Ishi's old life in the Yahi world and his new life with the saldu. How does he adapt to his new life? How does he merge his old life into his new life? Provide specific examples and quotations to support your observations.
Essay Topic 2
The novel chronicles most of Ishi's life, and in a way, the reader gets to see him grow up. Trace Ishi's development from boy, man, to "Elder Brother." Explain how different experiences help him grow into a man and mentor. Be sure to provide specific examples and quotations to support your observations.
Essay Topic 3
Compare Ishi's experiences in the Yahi world to the experiences he has when he returns there later with Majapa and Maliwal. How are the places the same to him, and How are they different? How does he feel about his "home," and why? Provide evidence to support your observations.
This section contains 1,047 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)