|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Elder Uncle and Ishi shoot the young buck rather than the old leader of the elk herd?
2. According to the Yahi creation story, into what did the god Kaltsuna transform after he finished creating humans?
3. What is Ishi's job in the spring?
4. How do Ishi and Timawi lose the sheep that they steal?
5. Why does Ishi release the rabbit that he catches while he is out collecting lichen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ishi go the Black Rock?
2. What does Ishi discover when he returns to the village after he moves Mother?
3. How is the Yahi creation story similar to the Judeo-Christian creation story (the creation story of the white man)?
4. Where does Ishi decide to go on his journey?
5. What does Grandfather say to Elder Uncle in order to reassure him after Timawi and Ishi leave?
6. What makes Ishi's hunting trip with Elder Uncle so memorable?
7. What reservations does Grandfather have about moving the tribe to the mountain?
8. How do Ishi and Tushi ensure that their presence remains hidden from the saldu?
9. According to Elder Uncle, why should the Yahi people not mourn for Timawi?
10. Why does Elder Uncle agree to move into the abandoned bear den in spite of his reservations?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Ishi's old life in the Yahi world and his new life with the saldu. How does he adapt to his new life? How does he merge his old life into his new life? Provide specific examples and quotations to support your observations.
Essay Topic 2
How are Ishi and his family about to avoid the saldu for so long? Analyze the measures that the tribe takes in order to hide their existence from the saldu all around them. How do these efforts protect them? What causes these efforts to fail? In the end, was hiding their best option, or should they have taken another approach? Support you opinions with specific evidence from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Journeys are important symbolic motifs in the novel. Analyze the characters' journeys and explain the significance of these journeys. What do the characters gain from their journeys? Why is the journey necessary? Be sure to support your ideas with specific examples and quotations.
This section contains 1,099 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)